Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team

• Please log in to reply

11164 replies to this topic

EricaShadows

EricaShadows

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

If they had left out the nixed cheerleaders and showed the other girls retiring, that would have made more sense, plus it wouldn't have been rubbed in anyone's face that they didn't make the squad. Some of them know they'll never be able to come back and some, who might have been on the fence and hadn't made a decision about returning, that may have been enough to say "Never again." We'll have to see when auditions come around again. But then again, we wouldn't have had to see how "amazing" and "determined" Cassie is.

I'll miss having Jackie Bob on the squad and most of the other girls who are retiring. They've been amazing dancers and examples of how confident and competant they can be when given the chance to be leaders. Being a group leader hasn't really helped Cassie in any obvious way. She is still very bland, boring and not charismatic in the least. My eye does not go to her like it does many of the other girls. At least we won't have to see her on our tv sets next season (if there is a next or future seasons after Cassie retires).

Another at least is that Cassie hasn't had a LOT of presence on our screens after that first year until this one. There was the mention she got on one of the previous seasons when she got group leader but that was really it until this season when she was overly promoted (at least to my mind). If they had continued to push her into the background and let her quietly fade out, people might have looked on her A BIT more favorably because we wouldn't have been reminded of how much she was given (not EARNED, but outright GIVEN or given in underhanded/roundabout ways to hide the nepotism/favoritism) over the course of her years on the squad.

pasdetrois

pasdetrois

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

Since I think the typical DCC choreography is inane, predictable, and borders on hoochie, I was excited at the chance to see something different. But then we were treated to Kelli and Judy constantly moaning and gasping and exclaiming and covering their scared faces during the cheerleading rehearsals. Complete lack of confidence, positive attitude and leadership. DCC needs to get rid of those two and bring in people with fresher, more modern coaching sensibilities (and talent).

I don't know where to begin with the ridiculous, polka-dot outfits. I thought I was watching "Toddlers 'n Tiaras." Or a weird SNL send-up. Kudos to the performers for having to deal with the mess of petticoats and big fluffy white panties.

Glad to see that some of the DCC are establishing smart, well-paying careers.

I don't like to nit-pick the DCC's looks, but Cassie has the most bizarre lower facial area. She always looks like she's just tasted a lemon - her mouth and nose look like they point down. It's very distracting.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

I didn't really mind Jackie Bob not getting a talking head to gush about her amazing time on the team and it's such an honor and blah blah blah because I think her segment was a lot more flattering to her, and really the DCC as a whole. It showed she has a brain in her head, juggles the responsibilities of the team/being a group leader with a job, acts as a great mentor and leader to the rookies, and looked gorgeous throughout.

Meanwhile we saw Cassie messing up all over the rehearsal to the point of injuring others (and not getting yelled at by Kelli and Judy) and looking like an idiot whose life is over at 23. I will say I'd love to know what she's doing to keep in shape with her injury because she didn't seem to have an extra pound on her during the practice.

What was the rush to get married in the middle of the school year, right before auditions and the calendar shoot?

I wondered about the timing of her wedding, too. They could have waited a year and not had to worry about any of that. Maybe she was debating going for another season if her knee injury hadn't been so bad?

Other than that, I felt a little bad for Kim that Jennifer moved out. Hopefully it was just roommate shuffling and not a squabble between her and Jennifer. And no, Sydney, tanning is not good for you, even with sunblock. Overall this was a good episode overall and I'd like to see more like this one throughout the season.

nicgwatchingtv

nicgwatchingtv

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

ILoveIt wrote:

I didn't like how Kelli and Judy were still talking about how they could cut girls after they had already "made the team." What's the point of announcing the squad and saying they were the team if you are still going to harp on the fact that girls could be cut. I think that they all already know that they could be cut if they screw up. Continuing to tell the girls that they could be cut is just going tear them down and make them weaker IMO.

I agree so much with this. As soon as I heard that, I internally bitched 'enough is enough' and rolled my eyes. Not only is that really crossing the reasonable point. We all do understand that a DCC could be cut if she did something really ridiculous, but the dancers and the viewers don't need to be continually force fed the idea. It really feels....desperate at this point. And petty.

I've never minded really the Cassie-is-there-because-of-nepotism thing. Sure, she's not a great dancer and I personally find her almost painfully unattractive (that missing upper lip, that lank and too long hair, that dim-witted expression, those Mrs. Incredible-after-the-3-kids-hips) and she strikes me as lacking in both charm and humor. And while I understand that if she wasn't there, someone else would be, I really don't care about any of that from my standpoint as a viewer. It is after all, just a spot on a dance team (conveted though that spot may be) that she has been given,and not like it's someone's place on, say, an organ transplant list or such....

But I wonder if Cassie might not one of those people that sparkle much more in real life than on tv or in pics. Because while I don't blame her mother and the organization for including her on the team regardless of her faults, I do find it odd that CMT continues to feature her heavily and she's selected for so many personal appearances and such. I mean, the Cowboys are a self-serving, very image-conscience organization and I assume that CMT is as well. Yet they show her, seemingly barely articulate and not attractive , so often and send her off to meet and represent? I really have to imagine that a part of it is that in person she's got something more than we can see on tv/pics and that something-extra colors their (Cowboys and CMT) reactions to her. I mean, for heaven's sake, they're using HER to SELL calendars? And they want the revenue from those calendars? And they think that she will help them make that revenue? That alone makes me think they don't see her in the same way that I do.

On a shallow note: I think it's so weird that Cassie is as unattractive as she is. She looks so much like her mother and her mother is a cutie even at her age. But Cassie isn't slightly cute, despite that strong resemblance, to my eyes.

Edited by nicgwatchingtv, Nov 17, 2012 @ 2:53 PM.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

Did I miss understood what Cassie was saying about the one flip out? If Cassie was the one who made the mistake then she should have been talk to along with the guys.

I do not understand why they would wait so long to practice with the guys. I felt bad for those poor girls being scared of disappointing K and J and getting injured.

The repeating of pressure and honor. Talk about overkilled. I laugh at the relaxing in our bikinis segment. Danielle kept saying the same thing over and over again. Talk about some bad editing.

Found it interesting that two of the girls are working for a plastic surgeon. I wonder if any of the girls see him for procedures. Talk about some free advertising.

Judy and Cassie need a wake up call. A whole tv special featuring her wedding, making the team after a poor audition, her finalist routine looking like the Halloween preformance, getting on the team with a bad knee and using that as an excuse to stay on the team, getting propose to on the field, and going after a TC candidate because of rumors she heard (after whining about the rumors on how and why she made the team.) Keep fanning the flames after a long while and you will get burned, ladies.

And why the hell do they make a big freakin' fuss over the breast cancer halftime and then not show it (and, yes I know it is on the DCC website.) That drives me crazy. Save the drama for another time.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

I mean, for heaven's sake, they're using HER to SELL calendars? And they want the revenue from those calendars? And they think that she will help them make that revenue? That alone makes me think they don't see her in the same way that I do.

That's the entire point - no one but Judy sees her in that role. She's a mediocre dancer, half decent singer, post-injury she's a mediocre stunter/tumbler/flyer, she's on the low end of the looks dept. for what the DCC wants, and her personality is FLAT. If she were outstanding in another way, i.e. Makenzie now and Loni a few years ago had terrible kicks, but were super personable, very pretty and still above average dancers, or Sara Gourley had a very plain face, but was an outstanding dancer and leader, I could see it. But Cassie demonstrates NONE of that. We hear every three seconds that the DCC is THE ELITE squad, then we see half-assed Cassie barely moving somwhere looked dazed and annoyed. If she wasn't featured so much, and if other more talented and pretty girls weren't so heartbroken at the unfairness, it would be different.

Pashakitty

Pashakitty

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

First time posting here: I will really miss my Friday nights watching the show. Poor Cassie- so many of you posting to this site just cannot stand her. After watching her "send off" blurb last night, I thought "lady chipmunk in a long blonde wig". Sorry, just had to say it.

The prettiest DCC with the most rocking body is easily Mackenzie! Only one person in these postings has made mention of her. She looked so great during the calendar shoot episode, plus, she seems like a very nice person. I was on the fence about Jackie Bob, but I grew to like her during the episode last evening (she could pass for 23 or 43, right?) but she seems genuine and she is pretty as well.

From what little we see during the show, it seems a bit high school-ish. The "senior class", the popular group, the favoritisms. However, I find Kelly enjoyable to watch and very easy on the eyes. Somebody upthread wrote "this is not the Navy Seals".... true, but honestly, with a group of women in their early 20's (and younger?), I understand Kelly's need to run a very tight ship to ensure that these ladies adhere completely to the rules & regs. If not so strict, it would be very easy for these young ladies to be lead astray.
Kitty Carter- love her, crazy hair and all. She'd be the life of any party.
Judy? Just odd, though attractive- notice that she is always squinting?
Looking forward to re-runs and a new season next year.

EricaShadows

EricaShadows

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

I don't know about the others, but I don't hate Cassie personally. I hate what she gets because of WHO she is. We can never really know if she truly deserved the group leader/her initial position on the squad because of who she is. After that, we hear about what she's done or what she got that other girls, whether current or past, weren't allowed to do or were never given. I know there's always going to be favoristim/nepotism on any squad but they took it to a whole new level with Cassie and we might never have known or cared about it without the show.

Edited by EricaShadows, Nov 17, 2012 @ 6:49 PM.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

We can never really know if she truly deserved the group leader/her initial position on the squad because of who she is. After that, we hear about what she's done or what she got that other girls, whether current or past, weren't allowed to do or were never given. I know there's always going to be favoristim/nepotism on any squad but they took it to a whole new level with Cassie and we might never have known or cared about it without the show.

We don't know how they chose the group leaders, but did see her initial audition and saw her mess up several times - I even remember her having to stop for her inhaler. They showed her making mistakes with power, energy, technique, performance, showmanship and interview skills that other girls were cut for, or for less. One year some girls were cut (I'm thinking Erica Jenkins?) for not looking prepared in final solo auditions - then Cassie shows up more than once with some tumbling and part of the Halloween choreography. She was not on show group her first year, when they made half an attempt to not be as blatant with the nepotism, but after that, it wasn't hidden.

I also wonder if Meredith Oden, who I really liked, gained a boost in the audition process because having two legacies didn't single out Cassie as much. Meredith didn't make it into training camp on her first audition, but was featured as a rookie candidate her second try when she made the team. She was an awesome kicker, very personable and good performer, but you can see on video of the USO tours that she was not quite up to par technique-wise with girls like Brittany Evans, Brooke, Kelsi Reich, Whitney, Crystal Trevino, Sarah Gourley, etc.

On the "related to a staff member" topic, I wonder if Olivia will come back. I think a huge part of being there is because she's done every other kind of dance, and Kitty is probably asked 500 times a day "why isn't your dancer daughter in law on the team?" That, and it takes a little pressure of Cassie being the only "relative."

Watching the Komen performance on the DCC site, at the beginning, Courtney cook is WAY OFF her line and does an entire turn backwards. The male tumblers can't lit one of their guys at the beginning, and threw Cassie backwards and sideways so they all that to move diagonal to catch her. Kali, Olivia, etc. all got up there in the pyramids just fine, though.

Edited by StrawburryTarte, Nov 17, 2012 @ 10:44 PM.

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:05 PM

I do not hate Cassie personally either. I just do not care for the way Judy and Cassie act when someone dares to call them out on certain things.

What do they expect when Cassie gets her own wedding special, excuses for her bad performance, making show group/squad leader and being in the calendar four? years in a row.

I feel sorry for Cassie's husband because she is acting her life will be over next year when she is no longer a DCC. Why not be happy and excited about spending more time with your husband and finishing school. She probably will be an All-Star for a lot of years.

I hate to see what will happen if or when Cassie has a daughter. Can you imagine the pressure (sorry) the poor girl will feel. Grandma Judy will have her out there with the team and be putting her in the squad picture.

Did anyone else notice the bottle on the counter in the scene with Mackenzie, Brittney and Jennifer. It look like a bottle of wine.

Jenna look like she had fake eye lashes on. She is adorable.

Edited by bigskygirl, Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:37 PM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

I love Jenna Lene, but I think her eyebrows need a little work. There were a few times when she was talking and she kind of scrunched them up and they looked a bit bushy. Adorable girl, just maybe needs a little threading.

Bushy eyebrows are back in style (women are paying $8000 for hair transplants to get bushier eyebrows and Demi Lovato's have grown substantially bushier during this season of the X Factor) and honestly I'd rather see more natural looking brows than those plucked within an inch of their life eyebrows that so many women have.

As for the stunts, I hope they were exaggerating the accelerated practice schedule. I did cheerleading from age 6 to age 17, and even with all that training I got dropped off the top of a 3 person high stunt, resulting in a trip to the ER and a lot of pain that affects me to this day (30 years later). That stuff is majorly dangerous and not for people with such limited training.

There
ITA - stunts are risky enough for athletes who have been properly taught and trained for an extensive period of time. But for dancers who were just taught these tricks? FYI - the NCAA has banned 3 high stunts because of the excessive number of injuries. Collegiate cheerleading/stunt teams can only do 2 1/2 high stunts and they have all kinds of new rules and regulations which are intended to prevent the horrifying accidents that have occurred. My sister got a concussion from a simple 2 high stunt when her base didn't catch her properly (he only caught her legs so she hit her head on the concrete and got a concussion) - stunting is inherently dangerous so letting girls who aren't really experienced with it do stunts is unwise and unsafe.

I was SHOCKED when I read last year on the DCC website (the info doesn't seem to be up there now) that the cheerleaders were paid only $150/game, and nothing for practices or training camp. Meanwhile, the average Cowboys player salary is around $150,000/game.

Until a year or two ago, it was $75 per game.

I knew someone who was a pro cheerleader back in 1990 and she said were paid even less. I am almost certain she said they were paid $50 for home games. When you consider that the DCC were paid only $75 per game until recently, you can see that they were not increasing the pay rate accordingly. I mean, yes, a $25 raise over 20 years is a 50% increase but it's still pretty paltry: in 20 years the game pay only went up $25.

The new $150 rate has doubled the most recent rate. I'm not saying it's a lot of money because it's not, especially when you take into account that a home game means the DCC are performing for hours, from the pregame and then all the way through the entire game. That's a good 4-6 hours of performing which ends up being $25-$37.50/hr. But that's before you factor in what time they have to wake up to meet the bus and be driven over to the stadium. Sure, it's more than they'd make working at the mall, but it's still not very much for an entire day of work.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Nov 17, 2012 @ 11:15 PM.

weenerdog

weenerdog

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

I wonder if anyone missed the bus this morning? Lol - Kelli probably had them report to Valley Ranch at 4 am for kickoff at 1:00.

It would not hurt this organization one bit (or Jerry Jones' wallet) if they paid the girls $1000 per game.

HATED this season. Blech.

aeroluv327

aeroluv327

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

I was so shocked that they were doing these stunts with only a couple days of practice when the stunts were so clearly outside the girls' comfort zones. How did they choose which cheerleaders would be on top for the stunts? Several of them said they had no experience with stunts, but I find it hard to believe that out of the whole squad, nobody had experience with the stunts. I mean, I know the DCC is more of a drill team than a cheer squad, but I would think some of them would have cheered in high school or college where the stunts are more common.

Also, I loved the guys' coach, more of him please!

DCC Watcher

DCC Watcher

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

http://cowboysblog.d...ase-party.html/

This is a video of the calendar release party

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I loved the guys' coach, more of him please!

I would have liked more info about the men and their coach. Kelli said they were the best male cheerleaders "in the country". Did they fly in from other cities? How were they selected?

aeroluv327

aeroluv327

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

I want him to come in to work with the girls like Kitty Carter does. He was really screaming at those guys. "CATCH HER!!!!"

bilgistic

bilgistic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

The amount I choose to know about football could fit in one hand, so I was confused when the DCC had to perform at a Monday night game, and had to be on the bus to go to the stadium at 2pm. That meant they each lost a half-day of work, if they have full-time work. I know there is "Monday-Night Football", but there is also football on Sunday, and all their games before then were on Sunday.

So the DCC practice every Monday through Friday(?) night from 6:30 to 10:00 (or was that only during training camp?), then have a game on Sunday for which they are at the stadium from 6am to ?, but sometimes a game is on Monday? What is their schedule?

I have no illusion that anyone on the squad is in this for a big payday. I'm sure there is quite a bit of prestige that comes from being a DCC, but the time and dedication it takes has to come from a place of a personal love (or sincere affection at least) of dance.

I was seriously sympathetic cringing for them with the horrible Komen halftime costumes. I had to wear some horrific costumes in my dance days, too, but those were awful. They were ill-fitting (barely fitting--how did they have any chest support?) and what was going on with the bloomers? Kelli held up some, and they looked like translucent mesh! They had to be pinned to the costume?? They couldn't have gotten thick, white brief-style bottoms? Just so much WTF over all of that. I wonder if the costumes were donated because they were so bad.

huahaha

huahaha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

I've never minded really the Cassie-is-there-because-of-nepotism thing. [snip] And while I understand that if she wasn't there, someone else would be, I really don't care about any of that from my standpoint as a viewer. It is after all, just a spot on a dance team (conveted though that spot may be) that she has been given,and not like it's someone's place on, say, an organ transplant list or such....

The Cassie nepotism thing doesn't bother me at all. The team doesn't have a set number of slots. One year, they could have 35 girls, another year 40. So, it isn't as if Cassie is taking up the slot of someone more deserving. Even the calendar slots aren't completely limited. Judy and Kelly can choose to put some group shots in if they want to include more girls.

Obviously Cassie is one of the few stunters on the team (otherwise, Kali wouldn't have been pulled in as a first timer for the Komen show). So that has some value.

Unless DCC makes a rule that legacies simply aren't allowed on the team (which isn't going to happen) mothers are always going to think their own daughters have a little extra something. I doubt Judy feels like Cassie is getting special treatment -- in her eyes, and therefore the eyes of her co-workers, Cassie is special. I do think this is the year Cassie has looked her worst, though. The injury should have sidelined her, but she really wanted to do a fifth season for some reason.

melvi

melvi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 1:54 PM

The new $150 rate has doubled the most recent rate. I'm not saying it's a lot of money because it's not, especially when you take into account that a home game means the DCC are performing for hours, from the pregame and then all the way through the entire game. That's a good 4-6 hours of performing which ends up being $25-$37.50/hr. But that's before you factor in what time they have to wake up to meet the bus and be driven over to the stadium. Sure, it's more than they'd make working at the mall, but it's still not very much for an entire day of work.

Right, and if you factor in the unpaid time spent at Mon.-Fri. mandatory practices, pre-game practices, time spent with experts "suggested" by Kelli and Judy (Kitty Carter, fitness trainers, nutritionists), plus time spent on tanning, hair care, and other required beauty treatments, the hourly rate probably goes below minimum wage. Judy told them not to go out the night before the game when they had a 6am call time--this was good advice, but also another example of the organization dictating how they spend their time, even when they are not being compensated.

Earlier I compared the DCC pay to what Cowboys players make, approx. $150,000/game. Maybe a better comparison would be with the referees, who work on a part-time schedule similar to the cheerleaders, and likewise perform a supporting role in the NFL. During their recent strike, the referees negotiated an average salary of $173,000/year (which will go up to $205,000 by 2019.) Referees also get about $20,000/year in retirement contributions.

I'm genuinely curious to know why the cheerleaders are paid so little in comparison to the pay of the players and refs. The obvious differences are that the cheerleaders are women with no union, and the players and refs are men represented by unions. Is it that simple?

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

The obvious differences are that the cheerleaders are women with no union, and the players and refs are men represented by unions. Is it that simple?

I suspect that the reason that the DCC aren't unionized is the same reason that porn actors aren't unionized: their professional shelf lives are limited. You're unlikely to fight for better conditions at a profession that you'll be exiting in a few years. Add to that the expectation for a DCC to be super-sweet and yes-ma'aming, and you're unlikely to find the demographic that's willing to unionize.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 3:51 PM

Unfortunately in order for a union to work for the cheerleaders you would have to have everyone who wants to be on the team agree that fair pay is more important than being a DCC. When the cheerleaders for the Buffalo Bills tried to join a union, they were all fired and they just got a new team. I have no doubt that even if the DCC reduced the pay to $0 they would still retain a lot of the team (as many have commented, a good chunk of the team is obviously still being supported by parents/husband/somebody), and they'd still have hundreds audition.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I was so shocked that they were doing these stunts with only a couple days of practice when the stunts were so clearly outside the girls' comfort zones. How did they choose which cheerleaders would be on top for the stunts? Several of them said they had no experience with stunts, but I find it hard to believe that out of the whole squad, nobody had experience with the stunts. I mean, I know the DCC is more of a drill team than a cheer squad, but I would think some of them would have cheered in high school or college where the stunts are more common.

I wonder if they had more than a few days practice learning the stunts. Maybe cmt (and Kelli) edited it to make it look like only a few days but in real life they had more time. Maybe they were trying to go with the "DCCs are so great that they can learn hard routines in just a few days" concept. It wouldn't surprise me if they did.

I wonder why Kali got picked for the stunt when she said she had no experience in that. The other ones are senior vets so I can see why they got picked.

Gofightwin

Gofightwin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Jackie and Cassie both were cheerleaders in high school and college and were veterans stunting. Olivia, Kali, and Jenna all stunted and were rookies so I don't think it was seniority based

Orca05

Orca05

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 18, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

Judy needs to quit wearing all the heavy eyeliner and black mascara, it makes her eyes look even beadier.

As to why the cheerleaders get paid so little... well, we need to remember that the vast majority of the audience isn't there to see the cheerleaders at all. If they had no cheerleaders at all, it wouldn't affect ticket sales in the slightest.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

I wonder why Kali got picked for the stunt when she said she had no experience in that.

Well, Judy did make that comment about Kali's build making her think it would come easy for her (because of those "big shoulders" of hers, I guess). What was confusing to me was that Kali said she had no experience with it but she also said something about always being the person doing the lifting. I remember something about her being able to tell someone how to do it but it was different when she was the one in the air. I wonder if she did cheerleading in HS or something but was always on the bottom of the pyramids?

EricaShadows

EricaShadows

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

If Kali was one of the bases for stunting, her comment made perfect sense. She would need to know exactly how a stunt was done in order to make sure it was set up right. I know far too many people who KNOW how to do things but can't describe HOW to do it because it's so instinctual to them and they don't have to stop and think about every step. Does that make sense? On top of that, she might know HOW it was done from the bottom up but, now that she has to see it from the other side of things, her mind blanks because it's not how she's used to doing it. At least she has the experience and some of the skill. That makes me feel better than the fact that they were actually considering putting Olivia up there without any of the training. YIKES!

DCC Watcher

DCC Watcher

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 7:00 AM

What was confusing to me was that Kali said she had no experience with it but she also said something about always being the person doing the lifting.

I think Kalli was a base who did do the lifting and was never a flyer as she is shorter and more solidly built. Just because you watched something doesn't mean you can do it. If that was true, then after being in marching band and playing for the drill team, I should be able to do their dances! NOT!!

meatball77

meatball77

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 7:24 AM

Earlier I compared the DCC pay to what Cowboys players make, approx. $150,000/game. Maybe a better comparison would be with the referees, who work on a part-time schedule similar to the cheerleaders, and likewise perform a supporting role in the NFL. During their recent strike, the referees negotiated an average salary of $173,000/year (which will go up to $205,000 by 2019.) Referees also get about $20,000/year in retirement contributions.

I'm genuinely curious to know why the cheerleaders are paid so little in comparison to the pay of the players and refs. The obvious differences are that the cheerleaders are women with no union, and the players and refs are men represented by unions. Is it that simple?

I'm sure even comparing it to what the janitors who work at the stadium is depressing.

The "reasoning" is that it's part time "volunteer" work that the girls do because it's so much fun. I think the DCC's are the only group that could push to unionize because of their fan support.

TedHinD

TedHinD

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

Hated the breast cancer awareness "celebration" since I'm over the pink ribbons and the nasty ways of Susan G. Komen For the Lawsuits. Wish the squad had looked at the Minnie Mouse outfits and said,"Aw hell no."

Nice that Emmitt Smith evoked the reaction he did from the squad. When I knew him (as a teenager) he was a belligerent punk. Aging is a good thing.

I'm wondering if next year Kelli & Judy will mention TV forum posting as being as unsavory as Facebook nudity, since we've gotten so many of the squad posting here this year.

Personally, I liked the series better when it focussed on the try-outs. Watching some of these hapless young women trying to find an apartment, find a job, lose ten pounds, deal with the DCC make-overs and some of the attitude from Kelli & Judy (and Lipless Cassie, RIP) and then watching them fail and get flushed like goldfish was interesting.

I always thought of the squad announcement like a commencement (or graduation from military boot camp). Watching their position getting threatened AFTER they've done the work? Not so fun.

ETA: I doubt the Jones family will ever decide to give the DCC decent compensation. That would equal the price of gold bathroom fittings in one of their houses and I don't think they'd accept that loss. (Although imagine what Charlotte gets paid to sit there & agree with Kelli. Eight figures I'm sure).

Edited by TedHinD, Nov 19, 2012 @ 10:52 AM.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

ETA: I doubt the Jones family will ever decide to give the DCC decent compensation. That would equal the price of gold bathroom fittings in one of their houses and I don't think they'd accept that loss. (Although imagine what Charlotte gets paid to sit there & agree with Kelli. Eight figures I'm sure).

I read a long time ago that the cheerleaders salary was a way of ensuring that women tried out for the team for the "right" reasons. They didn't want girls on the team who were there just to make big bucks. Of course that was a long time ago and was complete bull even back then. I don't know what the party line is today.

Change of topic: All season long I've been bitching about those little white shorts and scoffing at the DCC for crowing about how classy and wholesome they are when they're wearing shorts that barely cover anything. I've wondered if Kelli could make those shorts any smaller without flashing the team's private parts on that giant jumbotron at the cowboys' stadium. I didn't think it was possible. I was wrong. Looking at this picture of a redskins cheerleader, it is possible for the shorts to shrink just a little bit more. If the DCC shorts are questionable, these ones are downright skanky. (It's interesting that the shorts on the girl in the background are DCC-sized.) The DCC shorts seem to be made of a more substantial material too. Have they ever explained on the show exactly what the DCC uniforms are made of?

I can only hope that Kelli will see this photo and decide they aren't going to copy the Redskins and go even smaller. After all, the DCCs are trailblazers, right? They don't follow the crowd. Maybe their next revolutionary idea will be shorts that completely cover everyone's ass!