Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team

• Please log in to reply

11164 replies to this topic

Jessica02

Jessica02

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

Does anyone else remember when K&J called Kali in the office about her kicks and Judy made a comment like...yea Kali is a great dancer but no one deserves to be on the field if they can't do the kickline. SERIOUSLY!!! Could Judy be more full of crap. She just described Cassie but yer she is on the field. I'm so tired of them bending the rules when they see fit.

Has she not been in the kickline (or pregame) in any game or was it just supposed to be that first game? It was a bit confusing how they presented the issue. If so, I don't think sitting out of the kickline because of an injury is the same as sitting out because your kicks are too low. However, if Cassie's knee is so bad that she consistently cannot do the kickline/jump split, and it wasn't just a one time thing, then she should probably bow out all together because it's simply not safe or worth it. I can believe that they thought at the time of tryouts that her knee would be ok by the start of the season, but it's apparently more serious than they thought if she needed another surgery. I did gymnastics, dance, and cheer up until college, so I get that girls in these sports will have nagging injuries, but being worried that you're going to blow out your knee on a jump split is not normal.

Speaking of the kickline, have they ever actually kicked off a girl because her kicks were low? It seems like every season, there is one or two girls who have low kicks and yet, I may be missing someone, but I can't remember anyone who got kicked off for that reason. There was McKenzie last year, Kalli this year, I think Meaghan McVay and Jackie were called out for kicks during their training camp, and I think Joanna didn't even do the jump split for half of training camp in the 5th season because of an injury, but they all made it. I guess you could say Mandy(?) was kicked off in the 5th season for kicks, but that seemed more like a "the field swallowed her up" excuse, more than just her kicks.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 5:26 PM

That beginning wasted 10 minutes on Courtney Corvales with the missing tooth and the forgotten routine that 10 min. could have been used on filling in the gaps.

Who is that? Courtney Cook?

Princessleia

Princessleia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why someone with Olivia's resume would put up with Kelli and Judy, and want to be a DCC.

http://oliviasharber...er/Welcome.html

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

According to Ally, the Fall All-Stars are Ally, Elizabeth Davis, Jordan Baum, Justine Phillips, Sunni and Brittany Evans.

Princessleia

Princessleia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Does anyone know who is the father of Brandi Kilby's baby? Her daughter is a few months younger than mine. I guess she got pregnant in LA, now it seems like she lives in St. Louis.

Has it ever come out exactly why she dropped out of auditions? She recently came back for the alumni day, so she isn't banned.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Does anyone know who is the father of Brandi Kilby's baby? Her daughter is a few months younger than mine. I guess she got pregnant in LA, now it seems like she lives in St. Louis.

Has it ever come out exactly why she dropped out of auditions? She recently came back for the alumni day, so she isn't banned.

I follow Brandi on twitter. Her daughter, Gianna was 1 yr old back in May. I've seen her pictures and she's an adorable little girl. She's also biracial so I'm assuming the father is black. I have no idea who it is. I've never seen her post anything about him. Brandi was a Laker girl for part of the 2010-11 season. She left the squad when she was 4 or 5 months along. She tried out again for the Laker girls 2011-12 season but didn't make it back.
Regarding her reauditing for the DCC: she posted on her twitter she changed her mind and didn't feel it was that important to her anymore (don't remember the exact words.) My guess is maybe she found out that being a DCC wasn't all it's cracked up to be. She then tried out for the Laker girls and made that squad. She talks to a lot of the former DCC on twitter.

Here's a video of the Laker girls with her in it. She looks a little pregnant (in the stomach).Look to the left of the screen and you'll see her:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_tBZx0FgfSo

Edited by MrsEVH, Oct 22, 2012 @ 8:52 PM.

Princessleia

Princessleia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

Cool, I follow Brandi too, but I totally missed that she tried out again for the Laker Girls and didn't make it. Thanks for the info

amyuilani

amyuilani

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 9:57 PM

Oh wow, she is showing in that video! I think if you followed the Laker Girls or Brandi regularly, then you would notice she was showing. Otherwise she just looks heavier in the middle. Then again, NBA cheerleaders aren't held to the same hard-bodied standards that the DCC are. I was at a Portland Trailblazers' game last year, and some of those girls have stomachs that continue to move long after the dance ends.

Lilojuicy

Lilojuicy

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 10:32 PM

Brandi is gorgeous especially when she was a DCC, (prob my fave makeover) anyway I think making the team is just as hard as DCC, even harder IMO because it's hardcore dance. Laker Girls are just as famous as DCC. Thanks to Paula Abdul. Brandi told me once that they're both hard, they are completely different though. One is style and the other is performance.

Courtney Corvales was that girl on the first episode first sequence...see wasted time.

Many DCCs have also tried out for the Laker Girls and so far 2 have only made it. Brandi being one, Dara being the other. Ericka Jenkins tried out and didn't make it along w/several others. So, maybe LG is harder.

Edited by Lilojuicy, Oct 22, 2012 @ 10:28 PM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

FYI - the Laker Girls were already famous before Paula Abdul! She just happens to be their most well known alumnae. Tina Landon (Janet Jackson's choreographer/dancer during the "If" era), Moon Bloodgood (Terminator Salvation), and Vanessa Curry (later iteration of the Pussycat Dolls) were all Laker Girls too.

NBA cheerleaders aren't held to the same hard-bodied standards that the DCC are. I was at a Portland Trailblazers' game last year, and some of those girls have stomachs that continue to move long after the dance ends.

I don't think it's fair to say there's an obvious weight divide between NBA vs NFL dancers. There are squads that are more prestigious and therefore can be pickier. The lower tiered squads take what they can get. And some of the squads emphasize dance skill more than being super skinny.

Edited by ElectricBoogalo, Oct 22, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

Lilojuicy

Lilojuicy

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Olivia, yes it's a mystery. I think it may be just to add to experience and she may be able to teach DCC a few tricks huh? It may be to keep tradition in the family, make Kitty feel good. K/J stay off her case. There's NOTHING to be said about her, attitude is even great. Remember she said " I hope they take us all" beautiful. DCC scored with Olivia!

I agree, of the NBA the LG are the BEST hands down, that's like comparing the DCC to the Jets or whatever. Plus LG took Brandi curly hair and all. It's an amazing squad. To make both teams is pretty awesome. It shows Brandi's talent.
Plus throughout history, how many DCCs are as famous as the alumni from LG? Even famous at all? The closest on DCC is Melissa Rycroft and she's a reality star.

Edited by Lilojuicy, Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:05 PM.

wematanye

wematanye

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 22, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

I'm wondering about Olivia having "performed two seasons with the Radio City Rockettes" because her height is 5'4". Years ago, I had a dance teacher who couldn't try out for the Rockettes because she wasn't tall enough; one must be 5'6"-5'10 1/2". Maybe they have a less stringent height requirement for their touring dancers, which is what it appears Olivia was, i.e., not a dancer at Radio City Music Hall. I've seen a touring production at Myrtle Beach, SC. It was just as impressive as what I've seen of the NYC dancers on TV.

She looks like a beautiful dancer in the photographs. I wonder why she doesn't have her DCC experience listed.

Sorenson71

Sorenson71

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Wow, Olivia's website is amazing. She is so talented and gorgeous!! She also has the best personality. IMO. One of my favorites this year.

LisaB66

LisaB66

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

My favorites this year are Kim, Carisa, Kali, and Jenna. Too bad they only focus on them when they screw up.

The segment where Cassie "saved the day" was SO FRAKKIN' MANUFACTURED! Very, very sad...BTW, Cassie IS NOT better looking than the Trevino sisters.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 10:19 AM

I can't, for the life of me, figure out why someone with Olivia's resume would put up with Kelli and Judy, and want to be a DCC.

It would have to be a bucket list/prestige/stepping stone kind of thing. More of a strategy than a lifelong dream.

Many DCCs have also tried out for the Laker Girls and so far 2 have only made it. Brandi being one, Dara being the other. Ericka Jenkins tried out and didn't make it along w/several others. So, maybe LG is harder.

LG auditions are much more difficult. They have four or five dance cuts on the first day of tryouts, and I heard that they also have to learn a new dance at finals. During the season, the pace is much faster than NFL. There are 4 times as many home games, so they have to learn and perform new routines every single week. They don't have as much rehearsal time since there are games during the week, often more than one in a single week. And since they never put the whole team on the court at one time, they're always having to adapt to new formations.

I don't think it's fair to say there's an obvious weight divide between NBA vs NFL dancers. There are squads that are more prestigious and therefore can be pickier. The lower tiered squads take what they can get. And some of the squads emphasize dance skill more than being super skinny.

And geography is a factor as well. There is a greater concentration of beautiful, talented dancers in cities like Los Angeles and Miami, than places like Cleveland or Portland.

I agree, of the NBA the LG are the BEST hands down, that's like comparing the DCC to the Jets or whatever.

Disagree. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Most famous does not automatically equal best. Lots of people think DCC are the best. I think they are ONE of the best, and certainly the most famous, but THE best? No. The DCCs certainly have their flaws, just like every other team. DCC choreography is repetitive and they make mistakes like everyone else. That "sexy hips" thing is the most retarded move ever. Other teams have more diversity in their dancers and choreography, dance just as well, their outfits aren't as microscopic, and they treat their dancers like adults who have lives outside of the team.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:21 AM

Discuss the show, please—getting into an argument over what cheer team is The Best isn't about the show, and tends to devolve into opinion-as-fact and boards on boards posts. This is a site for conversations, not ratings of cheer teams or people or what have you.

Also, a few of you need to take a bit more time in writing so that your posts have the look of standard written English rather than chat room or Twitter-speak. Writing complete sentences which use proper capitalization and punctuation, rather than writing with a slapdash or exaggerated style, will make your posts easier to read. It will also give the impression that you take your ideas seriously enough to express them clearly and like an intelligent grownup. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Oct 23, 2012 @ 11:22 AM.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 23, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

I believe Jennifer McMahon tried out for the Laker Girls after she got booted from the DCC squad but didn't make it. I seem to remember seeing her in some LG audition pictures.

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

I wonder if it goes the other way as well. Over the seasons of the show, we've seen girls from other NFL teams audition, but I don't recall anyone from an NBA team.

These are the NFL girls I remember. Can anyone think of anyone else?

Made the Team
Jackie 49ers
Jasmine and Danielle Jets
malia texans
Carrie raiderettes
Carey atlanta falcons

Didn't make the team
Miranda seahawks
milli from tampa

ETA: Oops I just remembered trisha crystal and jordan from Mavs.
Oh and Alyssa. I guess I was just plain wrong.

Edited by SleepyJean, Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:29 AM.

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I wonder if it goes the other way as well. Over the seasons of the show, we've seen girls from other NFL teams audition, but I don't recall anyone from an NBA team.

Made the Team
Jackie 49ers
malia texans
Carrie raiderettes
Carey atlanta falcons

Didn't make the team
Miranda seahawks
milli from tampa

Kali Nicole, Kim Nicole, Sunni Cranfill, Nicole Hamilton, Justine Phillips, Kandi Harris, are all former Mavs dancers.
Jessica Marie was a Indiana Pacers Pacemate
Veronica Ann was a San Antonio Spurs silver dancer

Off topic: I didn't know that Chelsea and Emily were both DS ice girls last year.

Edited by MrsEVH, Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:08 PM.

rl27rl

rl27rl

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:26 PM

I know that former TCC's Kami O'Teeter and Meghan Flaherty were DS ice girls for several seasons when they did not make the DCC.

StrawburryTarte

StrawburryTarte

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:28 PM

Made the Team
Jackie 49ers
malia texans
Carrie raiderettes
Carey atlanta falcons

Didn't make the team
Miranda seahawks
milli from tampa

Kali Nicole, Kim Nicole, Sunni Cranfill, Nicole Hamilton, Justine Phillips, Kandi Harris, are all former Mavs dancers.
Jessica Marie was a Indiana Pacers Pacemate
Veronica Ann was a San Antonio Spurs silver dancer

Off topic: I didn't know that Chelsea and Emily were both DS ice girls last year.

Loni Lindsey cheered for the Atlanta Falcons.
Deryn Derbigny sp? cheered for the NO Saints.
Didn't Brooke Sorensen, Stephanie H and someone I'm forgetting cheer for the Dolphins and Marlins?

bigskygirl

bigskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:52 PM

I wonder if there will be WhoWho's article(s) posting on the DCC website like the ones Ally did last year.

Princessleia

Princessleia

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

Vanessa Jenkins cheered for the Houston Texans

LisaB66

LisaB66

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I believe Yoshiko Danjo cheered for the Colts, too.

Lauren Gibler, Paula Tabares, and Grace Sells have all tried out for DCC in the past and didn't make it. They are Dallas Mavericks Dancers. I hope they all try out again for DCC--I liked all of them.

Emily Claire (on the current DCC squad) was a Dallas Stars Ice Girl last year.

I have way too much spare time on my hands...ha ha!

sock

sock

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Didn't Colleen Meghan cheer for the Cleveland Cavs?

MrsEVH

MrsEVH

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Didn't Brooke Sorensen, Stephanie H and someone I'm forgetting cheer for the Dolphins and Marlins?

They were both Marlins Mermaids. Stephanie also was a Miami Heat Dancer.

Alyssa Sarasani was a Allen Wranglers cheerleader and a DS ice girl.
Grace Sells was also an Allen Wranglers cheerleader after being DS ice girl and before a Mavs dancer.

Edited by MrsEVH, Oct 24, 2012 @ 3:43 PM.

ByaNose

ByaNose

Fanatic

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

It DCC like other reality shows like Survivor? What I mean is do they film all of the rookies (and, some vets) who try out & only give two or three of the girls airtime and storyline? It seems I never know half the girls. Unlike other competitive reality shows the contestants aren't involved of voting someone out so I guess if you are boring you might not get airtime. Were Melissa Rycroft & Starr Spangler "stars" of their seasons? Or, was it after they left DCC and did the other reality shows that people found out they were DCC?

Sorenson71

Sorenson71

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

Hey: What is a DS ice girl?

LisaB66

LisaB66

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

You can check out the Dallas Stars Ice Girls at My link. Kaime tried out for the DCC multiple times. I wish she'd try out again. I thought she was cool and a good dancer.

Melissa Rycroft and Starr Spangler were both featured when they tried out--different seasons though, I believe. Starr was originally a brassy blonde. She got a knock-out makeover into a stunning brunette. As part of her solo audition, she sang a Shania Twain song. She was a better dancer than a singer.

DCC Watcher

DCC Watcher

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Were Melissa Rycroft & Starr Spangler "stars" of their seasons? Or, was it after they left DCC and did the other reality shows that people found out they were DCC?

Yes I remember Starr being good but Melissa I think was given a hard time by Kitty. I know Melissa was featured in the second season going to the calendar shoot and she was uncomfortable trying on all those skimpy (and I mean skimpy as in you better have a Brazilian wax job) swimsuits!