American Inventor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1016 replies to this topic

Roller Girl

Roller Girl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 1:40 PM

designing1

the bathroom stall clip (genius!)

That reminds me, I really feel like I've seen that someplace before. I was thinking that through the whole show. I think it's a great idea, but I just seem to remember it already being done. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

cyndimm

cyndimm

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 5:38 PM

I still love the "occupied" clip you put over the door in the Ladies Room (how many times has the (*&"% door flown open the second someone enters the restroom?). I'd pay for one of those. I just wonder if someone will steal the idea and they'll be at the Dollar Store next month.

I can't fathom watching 6 weeks of inventor updates (2 per hour episode). I'd like to see the person who takes the $50K and runs ... and keeps running until they run out of money.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 5:48 PM

I can't fathom watching 6 weeks of inventor updates (2 per hour episode).

Me neither.

I'd like to see the person who takes the $50K and runs ... and keeps running until they run out of money.

You mean like the toilet guy who said he was going to run off to Mexico? I cannot believe he said that. Apparently, his wife/girlfriend couldn't either. The look on her face was comedy gold.

I have a sneaking suspicion that either the toilet lid thing or the umbrella thing will win. Those were the only two passed through to the final round that we hadn't seen in the previous weeks.

YoungAtHeart

YoungAtHeart

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 5:51 PM

I'm wondering how much the cost of transportation and lodging had to do with the final 12 decision. According to the ABC web site, 6 of the 12 are from southern California, with another 1 from northern California. Are these really the best, or are they the ones who will keep the cost of the show down?

Edited by YoungAtHeart, Apr 14, 2006 @ 6:55 PM.

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 8:46 PM

Wow, here comes niiiiya indeed. Okay I'm off the Niya boat and fully on the Janusz love train. I think his is the most compelling invention. Plus the guy has the worst story of all but doesn't milk it like bag-o-weights guy (who is so cheesy).

riverheightsnan

riverheightsnan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 9:04 PM

Got to agree with just about everything said about last nights cry fest. Some of these products have been developed as far as they can go. The Niya (sp?) doll, this lady will lose her mind if there is any suggestion of changing it. If it were me, the doll would have a computer bank with insertable cartridges (think Leap pad) so that the doll could speak in every language. Totally do-able.

So, since most of the inventions suck, what invention would you invent or wish someone would?

I wish someone would invent sunblock that can be sprayed onto one's head (if bald) or the part in one's hair. I have a wide part (hair loss) and I get sunburned all the time and regular spray sunblock cakes up and flakes off if you don't really scrub it off your scalp, and it makes your hair style look terrible. Maybe a conditioner with a very high SPF in it?

Also, I would like a contraption like a black garbage bag, that would allow me to stand on a street corner and be able to relieve myself when I want, when there is no bathroom in sight. If anyone has ever seen an invention like that, hey, let me know. JK

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

riverheightsnan,here are a whole bunch. I like the Paul Mitchell one myself.

Also, I would like a contraption like a black garbage bag, that would allow me to stand on a street corner and be able to relieve myself when I want, when there is no bathroom in sight. If anyone has ever seen an invention like that, hey, let me know.

Hey, I know you're being sarcastic, but I'm gonna have to go find that guy and show him your way just for making me remember that craptastic invention. ;)

And thank god my snowdome cake hate worked. I swear, if she got through, I was totally not gonna watch the show ever again. (Except, really, I can't not.)

Why does next week have my three favorite people? I don't want to see anyone go! Why couldn't it be bag-o-weights guy, exercise-belt guy, and Nya. Or the edutainment guy. Really, can we just get rid of those 4 right now?

Francisco? You had me at "I'm an American Inventor." So cute. Bit of an acne problem, but get him some Proactive and we're good.

Oh and my snowdome cake lady hate has now moved onto the producers. Why? For bringing back the damn My Therapy Buddy. Cree-pee!

jonathanacohen

jonathanacohen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 1:00 AM

Seriously, aside from "You Raise Me Up" for like 10 WHOLE MINUTES, the worst and funniest part of this show was the manufactured suspense the judges used by phrasing their acceptance/rejection speeches:

"I'm sorry to say...you're through to the next round!"

"Your product sucks...that's what I said to the other contestants who were rejected. You're in!"

"I say this with the deepest of respect - stop wasting the air in this room!"

The "Fat Guy Strangler" episode of Family Guy did something like this, where the doctor kept telling Peter terrible news...only to undo it in the second half of his sentence (You've got cancer...or that's what I would say if you were my cancer patient!). Finally, Lois says "Please, we can't take any more shtick!"

My feelings exactly.

88Keys

88Keys

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 4:33 AM

I missed the 76 year old "disposable bed sheets" lady or whatever it was. Can someone explain to me what the fuck her invention was, please?

You know how when you go in for a doctor's appointment, and you sit on the exam table, and it's covered with paper that they (hopefully) replace after you leave?

Her invention was basically that, except for your bed. I think. It was supposed to replace your regular soft warm cotton sheets, because we all waste so much water washing them. And really, who doesn't love sleeping on a big scratchy pile of paper, and listening to it rustle every time you move?

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 11:19 AM

Okay, so the top 12:

Robert Amore ~ Tonerbelt
Sharon Clemens ~ Restroom Door Clip
Darla Davenport-Powell ~ Here Comes Niya
Ed Hall ~ Word Ace
Janusz Liberkowski ~ Spherical Safety Seat
Mark Martinez ~ Sackmaster 2000
Sheryl McDonald ~ The Un-brella
Francisco Patino ~ Double Traction Bike
Jodi Pliszka ~ The Headliner
Joseph and Jennifer Safuto ~ Flushpure
Erik Thompson ~ Receiver's Training Pole
Jerry Wesley ~ EZ-X Portable Gym

For the tonerbelt guy, it's been done before (I couldn't find the link in this thread but I saw it when it was posted.), and for the sackmaster 2000, people linked the gobagger, so that's been done before too.

The restroom door clip is okay, I guess, but I'm not that excited over that invention. Ez-Z Portable Gym (aka bag-o-weights guy) utterly bores me, and I don't want to see Jerry's big crying head any more. Erik's receiver's training pole is nice, but I don't think that will make it past top 2 or 3.

I could do without the headliner, word ace and here comes niya, really. I could do without the dangerous double traction bike, though I like Francisco a lot. Flushpure was cool to me at first because toilet germs freak me out, but I have to see if that really works. Plus the solution to that is to just close the lid before flushing. You close the door to the dishwasher before using it.

I'd like to see Janusz and Sheryl's inventions get to the top. Sheryl's is rather simple, but I can't tell you how annoyed I get when wrapping up my umbrella and you get the water all over you.

Edited by Point To It, Apr 15, 2006 @ 11:25 AM.

jonathanacohen

jonathanacohen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 11:35 AM

Unless Janusz's baby-safe invention has inherent safety flaws, or is too big for cars, it's the winner. He's also got a great story to back it up.

Inventions that will change the world? Uh...Flushpure? Receiver's Training Pole? BATHROOM DOOR CLOSER? No.

The double-seat bike is simply too risky. I wonder if Francisco could create a kit that converts a regular bike into a 'bicycle built for two'. Not as sexy maybe, but more stable. He looks like he has good engineering skills, so it's possible.

Exercise machines? I doubt it. Sackmaster's been done. Unbrella looks way too bulky.

Go Janusz go!

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 2:36 PM

Thanks for the list Point to It. I meant to list them yesterday myself but wasn't paying attention and my post got eaten on the submission.

As is often the case, the most egregious part of last episode wasn't even what was shown - it's what was left out. 50 decisions made, not a single reason given. I've decided to try to list everything that got at least 3 votes intially but got unceremoniously dumped:
  • Edible Snow Globes
  • Solar cooler
  • Video clothing (barely saw a pitch)
  • Evan & Jaron's bowl
  • Tree pruner
  • Bouncing alarm clock (barely saw a pitch)
  • Basketball touch glove (never saw a pitch)
  • Tailgating chair (never saw a pitch)
  • Flossing device
  • Disposable bedding
  • Paper plate with holder
  • Video gift box (barely saw a pitch)
  • Disk eraser (barely saw a pitch)
  • Kitty glove keyboard (never saw a pitch)
  • Soft spin nail polish remover (never saw a pitch)
  • Cake snow globe
  • Hop and Pop (never saw a pitch)
  • Baseball protective gear (never saw a pitch)
  • Warps Chess (never saw a pitch)
  • Revolver coffee pot
  • Character bear
  • Action figure manipulator
  • Cookie Stacker
  • Wheeled Tool Chest
  • Scrubblade (never saw a pitch)
  • Group cremation case
If you know any others I'm missing, please add.

metalspork13

metalspork13

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 5:39 PM

I can't believe they didn't show us which invention Doug was so adamant about putting through to the final twelve. I have to agree designing1's theory that it was the toilet seat thing, because whatever it was wasn't something that seemed like an immediate winner.

I'm kind of shocked that the toilet stall clip is a finalist. I think the invention is absolutely genius and I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but what is she going to do with $50,000? Make it different colors? It just doesn't seem like there's a whole lot she can do to improve it, because it's so inherently simple.

Francisco's drive and love for inventing really astounds me. The fact that he made several improvements to his invention in the span of a few weeks shows that he really wants to make something good, not just take an idea and throw it out there.

My vote for the win definitely goes to Janusz, though. It has the greatest potential to actually save lives, and I think he could really improve it with the money he's been given.

jonathanacohen

jonathanacohen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 6:38 PM

One more reason to hate the show:

http://www.tvsquad.c...-little-secret/

According to this L.A Times article from last month, contestants on the show not only don't get a million dollar "prize" (it's actually an advance against future royalties), but they actually have to give ABC and the producers "exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license."

The LA Times article is at:

http://www.latimes.c...ack=1&cset=true

but seems to be down right now.

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Apr 15, 2006 @ 8:52 PM

That doesn't really seem that bad to me. In the recording industry I'm thinking it's a similar advance deal. Actually, I think American Idol has a contract rider where they get 4/5ths of your soul. Something like that. On second thought, it is kind of criminal for the show to use them for their hard luck stories (and big crying heads, in Jerry's case) and tales of how they spent all their dough trying to make the buttinator 2000 come to life, only to then turn around and gank them of future royalties while simultaneously denying them control of their inventions.

But I guess with the notoriety from winning, that person could try to make a living or at least some good money making other inventions or speaking or something. I know in some states they have laws that limit these types of contracts. Guess Cali aint one of 'em.

Bookrat

Bookrat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2006 @ 1:18 AM

What happened to the paper plate cup holder combo guy? Was his product too expensive to make? I really liked his invention....and I'd buy it if it didn't cost too much.

jonathanacohen

jonathanacohen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2006 @ 9:52 AM

No doubt Doug, having invented all of the paper plate cup holders in the world, turned him down. And Ed, having extensive experience as a paper plate cup holder user, also said no.

With no sob story for Mary Lou, it was a 3:1 decision.

Edited by jonathanacohen, Apr 16, 2006 @ 9:53 AM.

Point To It

Point To It

Posted Apr 16, 2006 @ 5:44 PM

Uh oh Flushpure - it looks like that Toilet "aerosolization" causing fecal bacteria to get on your toothbrush is a myth. It's on there anyway. Mythbusters episode 12 showed the bacteria ends up on your toothbrush whether it's in office space or actually sitting on top of the toilet.

The good news is that the bacteria are basically impossible to avoid completely and aren't at harmful levels on your toothbrush.

I think in certain situations it would probably still be wise to close the commode lid while flushing, but Flushpure just lost whatever luster it had for me. Shame too, I liked that little "We want to be #1 in the number 2 business" slogan dude had.

HillMama

HillMama

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 9:23 AM

designing1: Why aren't they making more of a distinction between an "invention" and a "new product"? To me, anyway, an invention is something that addresses a need that hasn't been addressed before

Thank you! I knew something about this show was bothering me from the start, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. I think I've been too distracted by the horribly constructed sob stories, the crappy products, and the idiotic judges. As I've watched, and I've tried not to but I'm weak, I keep thinking that what we're seeing can not be representative of true American inventor spirit. So much of what was shown was just pathetic and what is now left is not that impressive. And have I mentioned how awful the judges are? 'Cause they are truly bad and not entertaining no matter how hard they try. Even their disagreements are boring. Doug makes me want to smack him upside his big, round head with a toliet seat. And Mary Lou annoys me with her attitude.

Have y'all seen this from the ABC site?

Best of Auditions - Part 1: Two hours of American Inventor first kick off with audition highlights of the inspired and not so inspired, as thousands of hopefuls vie to compete for the million dollar prize.

So it won't be two hours with three finalists I guess. Great more laughable products and probably more stupid attempts by the judges to be witty.

Svenska Flicka

Svenska Flicka

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 11:24 AM

Since I'm a total skeptic at this point, I'm completely unsurprised to find out that some of these products are already "on the market", etc. But I really don't care. I'm just all about the ridiculousness of the products/judges/contestants/banter...and I even love being moved to tears (even if afterwards (or during) I think "what the HECK was I crying over?"

Robert Amore ~ Tonerbelt
Hmmm...which one was that?

Sharon Clemens ~ Restroom Door Clip
I think that this is brilliant. But, yeah, it already seems ready-to-sell, so what's to develop?

Darla Davenport-Powell ~ Here Comes Niya
Swear to God, I find this woman & her doll annoying. They act like she's curing cancer!

"America NEEDS this"
Yeah, whatever.

Ed Hall ~ Word Ace
Okay...seems like a great product. But here's a question, didn't Ed basically tell us that he went into teaching because what he REALLY wanted to do in his life fell through. And then he was so MOVED by his students & his call to help them, that he QUIT his job in order to create this product? Am I wrong about that? I thought that it was pretty ironic, actually!

Janusz Liberkowski ~ Spherical Safety Seat
Very, very cool invention. I had some questions about it...that I'd sure want answered 100% before I ever considered using it for my own children...but I love the idea!

Mark Martinez ~ Sackmaster 2000
I like it. But I do wonder how many people could lift it & fill bags solo? I mean, I'm pretty strong & could probably do at least a couple on my own, but I can't imagine being able to stand there & fill bags over-and-over again! Maybe a strong guy could, but still...
I'm just not sure this product is quite as wonderful and "life saving" as he thinks/says.

Sheryl McDonald ~ The Un-brella
I LOVE this idea! I hate the whole wet umbrella thing...either going into your car, into a store, whatever. If this product is a good solution to that, I'd buy multiple! Keep one at the office, one at home, and one in each vehicle.

Francisco Patino ~ Double Traction Bike
Love this kid. He really DOES need a good dermatologist. I just don't know about the saleability of his bike.

Jodi Pliszka ~ The Headliner
Okay. Nice lady. I'm sure there's a market for this item. But I'm not so sure it's as big a market as she's intimating. I think that the judges have just been sucked into the pity zone. Also? I think the product's kind of gross.

I missed this one.

Erik Thompson ~ Receiver's Training Pole
To me, this one looks stupid and awkward. Likeable guy, though.

Jerry Wesley ~ EZ-X Portable Gym
Sigh. VERY nice guy, but I'm with the dorky, know-it-all judge who said it will end up in garage sales everywhere. Just like my Nordic Track machine, my Pilates circle, and my Kick Boxing videos...

Finally, it was really bugging me & I spent a bunch of time searching online, but never WAS able to find any sort of list of products that this dorky judge claims to have invented (or been part of) that we ALL supposedly have a kadzillion of in our homes? Anyone else have any luck with this?

pookie99

pookie99

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 12:42 PM

If that Headliner woman takes off her wig ONE MORE TIME, I'm gonna lose it!

My first reaction to the Flushpure system was, why don't people take the time to close the toilet seat before they flush (at home)? That takes care of most of the odors from the get go. PLUS, he'd also joked that he was going to use the money for a trip to Mexico! Why would someone who is serious about their product say something like that, to an investor or a judge at a competition? Terrible response...

The only products I can see getting further are the Un-brella, the Spherical Safety Seat and the Restroom Door Clip - the others should just march straight to the "As Seen On TV" shelves at Walgreens to wait for a well-deserved coating of dust.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 3:52 PM

According to this L.A Times article from last month, contestants on the show not only don't get a million dollar "prize" (it's actually an advance against future royalties), but they actually have to give ABC and the producers "exclusive, perpetual, worldwide license."

You can go right to the source if you like, it's on the application form points 28 and 29 of the Consent & Release.

Winner gets a million advance on royalties for exclusive, perpetual use. However, I don't see any method listed for determining the percentage for the royalties. Which is a huge oversight IMHO, I'm surprised Satan didn't point that out when he was helping ABC write it.

Actually it's not so terrible. If you had an idea but not the means, knowledge, or willpower to get it to market, selling it for a million doesn't sound that bad.

Other finalists are also granting a one-year option to license. That actually bothers me more, since it means they can't do anything for a year while ABC thinks about it.

Uh oh Flushpure - it looks like that Toilet "aerosolization" causing fecal bacteria to get on your toothbrush is a myth.

I always suspected the risk was minimal anyway. But if people think it's true, the product would still sell. (Thanks for the link Point to It.)

Finally, it was really bugging me & I spent a bunch of time searching online, but never WAS able to find any sort of list of products that this dorky judge claims to have invented (or been part of) that we ALL supposedly have a kadzillion of in our homes? Anyone else have any luck with this?

Faxinator explained it well a few pages back.

I missed this one.

Charcoal filter in a toilet seat lid. Like designing1 and metalspork13 I have the sneaking suspicion this is the one Doug was pushing.

Robert Amore ~ Tonerbelt
Hmmm...which one was that?

I can't hear the name w/o thinking it's something a copier repairman would wear. But no, it's two tension-wound strings attached to your hips via a belt and you work the arms by pulling them.

So it won't be two hours with three finalists I guess. Great more laughable products and probably more stupid attempts by the judges to be witty.

If only. Probably the same footage of the two disastrous Buddies (Walk & Therapy) shown on a continuous loop.

Svenska Flicka

Svenska Flicka

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 4:09 PM

Faxinator explained it well a few pages back.

Ahh, thanks for that. I (obviously) missed that post!
Well, I don't believe for one second that I have 18 items in my home that he invented (or whatever). However, I know some gadgety-collectory-homeshoppingy type people who probably do, or at least are more likely than I am to own these mythical '18 products of brilliance'.

Anyway, I agree with those who've posted about the disturbing Therapy Buddy doll & the equally disturbing inventor & needer of the Therapy Buddy doll. His hugging it afterwards was all sorts of troubling. Guy really needs to look into ACTUAL therapy with a human who can give him advice (and perhaps medication?)

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

Her invention was basically that, except for your bed. I think. It was supposed to replace your regular soft warm cotton sheets, because we all waste so much water washing them. And really, who doesn't love sleeping on a big scratchy pile of paper, and listening to it rustle every time you move?

Actually, they are processed paper that make the very soft, just as toilet tissue and Kleenex are also paper. I believe you will find that these are designed for institutional use, such as hospitals and hotels.

Well, I don't believe for one second that I have 18 items in my home that he invented (or whatever). However, I know some gadgety-collectory-homeshoppingy type people who probably do, or at least are more likely than I am to own these mythical '18 products of brilliance'.

Umm, if you happen to have any products from Proctor and Gamble in your home, it is very likely you have multiple products invented by Doug Hall. I would venture to guess that you have many, many P&G items in your home.

Here's a list of the many, many, many P&G brand items:

http://www.pg.com/co..._products.jhtml

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 7:09 PM

Umm, if you happen to have any products from Proctor and Gamble in your home, it is very likely you have multiple products invented by Doug Hall. I would venture to guess that you have many, many P&G items in your home.

Faxinator is probably right. P&G are Cincinnati based, and Doug Hall's think tank (forgive me, the name escapes me) is right here in their backyard. The local news and radio stations have been having a field day conducting rotating interviews with the guy.

I'm sorry I can't tell you what he said in those interviews. I can only stand him in small doses, and I've already had my fill of his smarmy, assholeish attitide for this week.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 9:54 PM

I always imagined the inventions were things like "fold down box's left flap before the right flap" accompanied by 50 pages explaining why it's the better choice. Or, more reasonably, that special spout on Tide bottles that catches the drips. Things that probably would help but wouldn't overly impress.

Doug Hall's think tank (forgive me, the name escapes me)

I believe you're thinking of Eureka Ranch. And I like Doug, but sometimes when he talks I have to wonder if he can't hear himself.

whirlingdervish

whirlingdervish

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2006 @ 11:22 PM

alexmarsz, I think we also missed seeing a pitch on the bra for ladies with implants. I think that made it to round two, didn't it?

Count me in among the folks who were really, really annoyed that we didn't get to see a bulk of the pitches, or the actual discussions about the inventions. WTF? I would be intrigued to know who ABC envisions the target audience to be, because it certainly doesn't seem to be me or any of my geek friends who were naturally drawn to this show, only to be repelled by this carnivale of freaks and bathos.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 7:36 AM

I believe you're thinking of Eureka Ranch.

Thanks, alexmarsz.

And I like Doug, but sometimes when he talks I have to wonder if he can't hear himself.

I don't think he can hear anyone, and by hear I mean listen. He just talks to express how he's done stuff with toys or bathroom products or climbed Mount Everest, or been shipwrecked on the Survivor Island, or flew to the moon....

HillMama

HillMama

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 8:59 AM

He just talks to express how he's done stuff with toys or bathroom products or climbed Mount Everest, or been shipwrecked on the Survivor Island, or flew to the moon....

Just as long as he doesn't exaggerate how truly great he is ...

I'm still trying to decide if TPTB really care about the invention at all, or if this is just a reality show with the name inventor in it. I realize that it has to have the TV fluff and drama, but I had envisioned new and inventive products and ideas. Did the people working on really great new things not have time for a random TV show?

Faxinator

Faxinator

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2006 @ 11:55 AM

I'm still trying to decide if TPTB really care about the invention at all, or if this is just a reality show with the name inventor in it.

I seriously doubt they care about the invention. And to be honest, I think that some of Doug's perceived bad attitude may have something to do with just that aspect. As the only actual inventor on the panel, I wouldn't be at all surprised if TPTB reeled him in with some bill of goods about this whole thing being about the inventions, when in fact they had no intention at all of worrying about whether or not an actual "product" comes out of the show at the end.