Taniec z Gwiazdami: Dancing with the Stars (Poland)

• Please log in to reply

582 replies to this topic

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 11, 2005 @ 1:57 AM

Yup, found another one. And judging from the videos, Poles can dance. (They also have a sense of humor, enjoy running starts into dances, like shooting each other or at least rolling on the floor at the end of dances, and have so much imagination it's actually slightly distracting.) They're certainly blowing the US competitors out of the water.

Here's the homepage:
http://tanieczgwiazdami.onet.pl/

Don't scroll down too much if you don't want to find out right away who's been eliminated, because we're in the middle of the series. The videos for Week 5 are just up, and I admit I never realized "Staying Alive" and "All My Loving" were sambas. Sad lack of imagination on my part...

The competitors profiles (in Polish) and videos (in music) are under "Uczestnicy." The marks are under "Do tej pory," and for once that includes the rankings from the public. Kuba is obviously being kept in by his fans. A couple of additional videos, including one featuring the rather cute bandleader:
http://tanieczgwiazd...t.pl/extra.html

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 16, 2005 @ 11:55 AM

It looks like I might be talking to myself until my fellow international DWTS aficionado, legaleagle44, gets out from under his work-related preoccupations. All I can say is I will be very bitchy about the dancing in DWTS US 2 unless they live up to the standards set by the Poles, and I know they won't. The participants won't be as good-looking either.

I've got a brief rundown of the participants:

Małgorzata Foremniak, film, theater and television actress
Rafał Maserak, current partner Magdalena Soszyńska (I think this is a relatively new partnership), also with Volt dancing group

Conrado Moreno, television host, born in Madrid and moved to Poland when he was 12
Magdalena Soszyńska, current partner Rafał Maserak

Paweł Deląg, film, television and theater actor (including a part in Schindler's List)
Dominika Kublik, also teaches modern dance

Agnieszka Rylik, 31, 5'6", former world kickboxing champion, now a professional welterweight boxer (southpaw), nickname: Aga
Marcin Olszewski, interested in aviation, has danced on stage in Grease and in Roman Polanski's Dance of the Vampires

Hanna Śleszyńska, film, theater and television actress, much of the time in comic roles, has danced in musicals, including Chicago, but not familiar with social dances
Michał Szuba, current partner Alexandra Wysocka, teaches in own studio, has dance group, has danced in a stageshow Magic Dance with 50 dancers

Patrycja Markowska, singer, her mother is a dancer but she never learned to dance
Michał Skawiński, interested in choreography and musical comedy, current partner Agnieszka Pomorska

Kuba Wesołowski, television actor (in a series or a soap, I think), got his first role when he accompanied a girlfriend to an audition, studied journalism, says he commutes by car ever since he got in a fight in a tram with someone who took his TV role too seriously
Edyta Herbuś, also interested in modern dance, current partner Tomek Barański

Katarzyna Cichopek, 23, actress, studied music and sang in secondary school chorus, only previous dance experience was dancing at weddings mostly with her Dad, nickname: Kasia
Marcin Hakiel, studies finance and banking in Warsaw and Helsinki, current partner Blanka Winiarska

Piotr Gąsowski, film and television actor, lots of experience, has been in musical comedies but has no training in social dancing
Anna Głogowska, current partner Marcin Wrzesiński

Piotr Adamski, model (for those who followed the French referendum on the EU constitution and the fallout from the vote, he was the "Polish plumber" in the Polish Tourism Board's successful campaign), studied tourism and hotel management but now wants to study computer sciences
Blanka Winiarska, current partner Marcin Hakiel

All of the professional dancers seem to have experience in both Latin and standard. The women all seem to have loved dancing from an early age, while the guys were kind of forced into it.

Kuba apparently has hordes of fanatical teenage girls voting for him and keeping him in the competition (much to the outrage in the forums), even though he's at or near the bottom every week in the judges' vote. Aga and Kasia also have good fan bases, but at least they can dance.

Małgorzata's chacha was the first dance I watched, and I still have trouble believing someone can turn like that after only a few weeks of training. I wonder if her and Rafał's comedic approach might not be hurting them a little with the judges. However, they're a lot of fun to watch.

Kasia is remarkably good; I think her rumba and tango in particular have set the standard. Of course, I suppose looking like a little doll and having a spectacular body don't hurt either.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 6:12 PM

Hi, Andreanne! *waves*

Thanks for the run-down on the contestants in the Polish version of DWTS; I'll check out the episodes this weekend as soon as I get a chance and give my comments. I'll also see if I can get anyone from the Polish boards to join in the way I did with the Dutch version (which should be interesting, since I don't speak a word of Polish--but hopefully some of the Polish posters will speak English!)

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

*waving back to legaleagle44*

Glad to have you back. I agree it would be great if somebody who actually speaks Polish could help us out. I had to use a translation program and a lot of googling to figure out who the celebrities were, but that doesn't give us the juicy stuff.

Let me know if you think I've gone overboard in my admiration for this group of dancers!

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2005 @ 11:55 AM

The videos for weeks 6 and 7 are up (finally!). I was looking forward to seeing them, because my favorite couple, Kasia and Marcin, had ended up second both times and I wanted to see if they were "losing it." It turns out they were beaten fair and square by Piotr and Ania's Brando-as-Godfather paso doble -- I'm not kidding -- and by an absolutely beautiful waltz from Małgorzata and Rafał.

Kuba and Edyta are still going their merry way, being thrashed by the judges and adored by his fans. He's not an embarrassment or anything like that, more a Joey MacIntyre-type (with posture problems too) than a cringe inducer ŗ la Holyfield, and he gives it everything he's got. However, there's no denying he's not a very good dancer and should have been eliminated in the third or fourth week.

The sheer entertainment value of this DWTS is unbeatable, as is the dancing. The production values are excellent too. I don't suppose ABC is watching...

A.M.G.

A.M.G.

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 25, 2005 @ 5:39 AM

I'll also see if I can get anyone from the Polish boards to join in the way I did with the Dutch version (which should be interesting, since I don't speak a word of Polish--but hopefully some of the Polish posters will speak English!)

Not quite from the boards, just a passer-by...

Hello from Poland. I agree we have the best "Dancing with the Stars" version ;) Any questions you might have where I can help with the answers?

AMG

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2005 @ 10:56 AM

Welcome, AMG. And please don't sign your posts: it drives the TWoP admins in a feeding frenzy!

It's terrific to have somebody who can explain what's going on. I'm linguistically challenged when it comes to Polish, meaning I don't have a clue. From the number of views for the thread, we have some people following DWTS Poland, but unfortunately I'm the only one posting. I think legaleagle44 is having trouble accessing the videos on his computer, otherwise we could count on him to give us his opinions too. It's a shame he's missing this great dancing (and some good-looking people, which never hurts).

Random questions:

We don't get to see the rehearsal videos. What's the relationship between the couples? I've noticed that, in other versions, the couples with the best chemistry tend to stay in longer. Were there any couples who clearly couldn't stand each other?

How is everyone getting along? Is there a lot of rivalry or is everything friendly? Are people going to insist on a dance-off if Kuba wins? *big grin*

How is the show doing? I'm assuming it's fairly popular since this is the second edition. Did the celebrities have to be coaxed on the show or did some volunteer?

What's the view on Kuba? Is there a lot of hostility because "better" dancers have been knocked out while he has stayed in? How is he handling things?

What kind of shows are Kasia and Kuba on? Soap operas? Did Kasia have a following before this, or did she pick up admirers with her dancing? And what kind of acting is Małgorzata best known for? Who was popular before the show? And please feel free to correct my rundown of the celebrities if I got anything wrong.

Did any of the celebrities have any dance training before the show? Do any of the professional dancers have their own following, maybe from the first edition? (I thought Marcin and the first Kasia were pretty good too.)

What are the hosts like? The Aussie host seems to be uniformly loathed, at least on TWoP, while opinions on the American host are split. I occasionally hear some semi-orgasmic roars from the host (I think) at the end of some routines. Does he really react that strongly? Is his co-host adored like Sonia Kruger (Australia) or disliked like Lisa Canning?

How is "Cichopek" pronounced? Believe it or not, I think I can make a decent attempt on all the other names!

Any good controversies we should know about?

Well, answering these should keep you busy for five minutes or so... Thanks again, AMG!

ETA: I forgot to ask if the judges on the show were real ballroom dancing adjudicators or if they were drawn from other types of dance (like in the US version) or other walks of life (like in the Italian version).

Edited by Andreanne, Nov 25, 2005 @ 12:30 PM.

A.M.G.

A.M.G.

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 7:28 AM

Hi,

I think it'll be easiest to just quote the questions and answer them as they come...

"We don't get to see the rehearsal videos. What's the relationship between the couples? I've noticed that, in other versions, the couples with the best chemistry tend to stay in longer. Were there any couples who clearly couldn't stand each other?"

There are generally friendly relationships - at least we don't get to see anything to contradict it. It is only natural that as they have to dance 'body to body', so to say, there is some chemistry between them, sometimes more, sometimes less, but the celebrities and dancers say themselves that they will see if anything comes out of this after they suddenly stop spending hours on end with each other during the trainings.

"How is everyone getting along? Is there a lot of rivalry or is everything friendly? Are people going to insist on a dance-off if Kuba wins? *big grin*"

Again, everything seems friendly. They are mostly trying to have fun and learn some professional dancing. Kuba has just fallen out of the competition last Sunday *big, big grin*, so do you still want me to answer the last one?

"How is the show doing? I'm assuming it's fairly popular since this is the second edition. Did the celebrities have to be coaxed on the show or did some volunteer?"

I don't know about the celebrities... I think they were simply invited and gladly accepted.

"What's the view on Kuba? Is there a lot of hostility because "better" dancers have been knocked out while he has stayed in? How is he handling things?"

People think he's stayed either because he's popular in his series, or because he is fun, or because the series where he plays is run by that TV station... I don't know of any hostility. He expressed his gratitude towards his partner last Sunday for coming so far in the competition, because they were both aware, as was half of the audience, that he is not world's best dancer.

"What kind of shows are Kasia and Kuba on? Soap operas? Did Kasia have a following before this, or did she pick up admirers with her dancing? And what kind of acting is Małgorzata best known for? Who was popular before the show? And please feel free to correct my rundown of the celebrities if I got anything wrong."

Series/soaps. Kasia is a very popular actress, very modest, natural, and also talented. Małgosia Foremniak has starred in a variety of roles, and she is also starring in a soap. Popularity... Everyone was popular before the show, some more, some less. And I think you've got everyone correct :)

"Did any of the celebrities have any dance training before the show? Do any of the professional dancers have their own following, maybe from the first edition? (I thought Marcin and the first Kasia were pretty good too.)"

Point is, I think, that none of them should have had such training, so that everyone has equal chances. In two cases, they had some sort of training in ballet and gymnastics, but not in a professional way, and in the past. As to the dancers, I don't really know, so I wouldn't risk answering anything else than: "possibly".

"What are the hosts like? The Aussie host seems to be uniformly loathed, at least on TWoP, while opinions on the American host are split. I occasionally hear some semi-orgasmic roars from the host (I think) at the end of some routines. Does he really react that strongly? Is his co-host adored like Sonia Kruger (Australia) or disliked like Lisa Canning?"

Hm... The host is often considered... ek-hem... boring, because he appears in half their productions right now, and she is a popular actress/singer, very nice privately, as far as I know.

"How is "Cichopek" pronounced? Believe it or not, I think I can make a decent attempt on all the other names!"

CH-i-hop-ek. Couldn't be easier :) We have easy names, generally... :P

"Any good controversies we should know about?"

Errr... hm... uh...

Does that answer your question? *grin* I just can't think of anything.

"ETA: I forgot to ask if the judges on the show were real ballroom dancing adjudicators or if they were drawn from other types of dance (like in the US version) or other walks of life (like in the Italian version)."

Two of them are professional dancers and, as I understand, also judges in such competitions, two others are a singer and an actress, who are to judge the artistic value of the dance and the show.

Whew. Anything else? :)

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 9:55 AM

Whew. Anything else? :)

Not for the time being, anyway. :D You got to everything. Talk about organized!

You even answered a question I didn't ask but desperately wanted to know: who got eliminated this past week. I tried to find out from the forums on onet.pl, but no dice. I might have to learn Polish...

I'm looking forward to seeing the videos for week 8 -- odcinek 8, I should say ;) -- when they're uploaded to the site. I'm a sucker for pasos anyway, and I can't wait to see the rumba that got four 10s.

Dziękują, AMG.

Edited by Andreanne, Dec 1, 2005 @ 10:47 AM.

A.M.G.

A.M.G.

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 12:03 PM

I might have to learn Polish...

*grin* Why not? Why is it always me who has to speak English, and not the other way round? ;)

Glad I could help. :D

...mm-mm, the rumba... ;)

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 6:09 PM

Dzień dobry! :)

Sorry I took so long to come to the party, but sifting through seven weeks' worth of dance clips at one sitting isn't easy; I still haven't watched Kuba/Edyta, Katarczyna/Marcin, and Piotr/Anna yet. I just couldn't wait any longer to share some of my thoughts on the Polish version of Dancing with the Stars!

My first impression is that I love the level of creativity and originality that the dancers are showing: a Foxtrot to "The Pink Panther" and a Quickstep to "The Flinstones," for example. The choreography is first-rate, and I see (and feel) loads of chemistry between the pros and the celebrities. The only dance that I've seen so far that I didn't care for was the Paso Doble that Agnieszka and Marcin did; 21st-Century punk just doesn't work for a dance that is supposed to be a characterization of the traditional Spanish bullfight!

Oh, and the music? Except for that particular Paso Doble selection, and a couple of Rumbas that, while nice, seemed just a little too fast for the type of Rumba that the dancers were supposed to be doing, I have no complaints about the music at all. I'm amazed at how well this version (and the Dutch version) have done in the overall selection of appropriate dance music; classic Waltzes, Foxtrots, Paso Dobles, and so forth. I did love the Samba that Pawel and Dominka did to "La Macarena"--I know that dance well since it was so popular about ten years ago (that long ago already?), so I was surprised that yes, it makes an even better Samba!

I'll let you know what I think of the other dancers as soon as I've had a chance to watch them. I think I'll even start studying Polish now, just for the fun of it! What do you think of that, A.M.G?

A.M.G.

A.M.G.

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 29, 2005 @ 6:05 AM

I think I'll even start studying Polish now, just for the fun of it! What do you think of that, A.M.G?

*nodding vigorously* Sure is fun!

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 29, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

Polish seems to have declensions. Those are NOT fun. But best of luck to you, legaleagle44, if you want to add Polish to your impressive list of languages. ;)

I know what you mean about Agnieszka and Marcin's paso doble. I rather enjoyed it as a dance, but not so much as a paso, if you know what I mean. I also think Kasia and Marcin did the best they could with the disco samba they were assigned, but it wasn't a great choice of music IMO. The band is good, and I still love the bandleader, including his bit part in Piotr's Godfather routine.

In week 9, Małgosia and Rafał seem to have blown the roof off with seven 10s in their two dances, and that while dancing to Abba! I'll have to see it to believe it.

I found some photos:
http://tanieczgwiazdamii.blog.onet.pl/

meg77

meg77

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 2, 2005 @ 10:01 AM

Actually, there is some gossip. Kasia and Marcin are a couple in private life, they have admitted it - became close after a few expisodes. Tabloids claim that Kuba and

Also, Kasia (host) was a contestant in the first edition. She did pretty well.

Edited by meg77, Dec 2, 2005 @ 10:02 AM.

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 2, 2005 @ 10:58 AM

meg77, you chopped off an interesting part of your post when you edited it! :D

I did wonder about those tabloid pictures of Kasia and Marcin... He looks much better with his hair closer to his natural color instead of the dyed dead black he sported in the first Taniec z Gwiazdami.

I hadn't realized the cohost was the "first Kasia" who danced with Marcin in the previous edition. That's in spite of the fact that I watched their dances and thought they were very good.

A.M.G.

A.M.G.

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 4:31 AM

And the winner is...

*I* know, but do you? :D

A.M.G.

A.M.G.

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 7:22 AM

Okay, I'm gonna be a good girl.

The great winner of the Crystal Ball in the second Polish edition of "Dancing with the Stars", known in Poland as "Taniec z Gwiazdami", is the pair number........

...8 - Kasia Cichopek & Marcin Hakiel!!!

I was hoping they would win. Hurray, hurray, hurray!

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 9:51 AM

We'll have to forgive you for spilling the beans, AMG, because the winner is pretty obvious from the homepage of Taniec z Gwiazdami! They had the fan vote right from the start, and that's the clincher, as we all know only too well. ;) Fortunately, they were also lovely dancers. I don't think people would have been up in arms if either of the finalists had won.

Now all we non-Poles can do is wait for the videos to be posted to the site. We're still at week 7, so there's lots more good dancing to come for us.

Congratulations to the winners and the runners-up!

ETA: I forgot to say I found a couple more photos:
http://www.polki.wp....7...l?P[page]=3

Edited by Andreanne, Dec 5, 2005 @ 9:53 AM.

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2005 @ 11:23 AM

The videos for odcinek 8 are up. Two dances per couple (couples 1, 4, 7 and 8 were still in the competition at this time). I think it's an interesting idea to repeat dances, but to different music and choreography. The couple can work on one new dance and give the audience another take on a dance they're already familiar with, instead of half-learning two new dances.

Weirdest paso dobles ever: a boxing paso from Aga and Marcin and a glam rock one from Małgosia and Rafał. Kasia and Marcin used pretty much the same choreography for this rumba as they did for their Week 2 rumba, and for some reason the mistakes bothered me more this time around. Kasia does have beautiful lines though, and she looks like she's dropped some weight. The quickstepping couples actually got off the ground. We didn't get much of that in DWTS US!

Strangely enough, it was something of a relief to watch the simplicity of Kuba and Edyta. He's far from a natural dancer -- he's more like a Ballroom Bootcamp type with a few more weeks of training -- but Edyta is lovely and they didn't over-choreograph anything. Well, they couldn't, because Kuba wouldn't be able to dance it, but he was out there doing his best and looking like he was enjoying himself. I actually thought it OK that Aga and Marcin should be knocked out at this stage instead of Kuba and Edyta, and I'm not even a teenage girl. ;)

A.M.G.

A.M.G.

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2006 @ 3:27 AM

Third edition of Dancing with the Stars in Poland coming up on Sunday...

I expect an update will be added on the official page soon.

Edited to add a link to a gallery of Kasia Cichopek's photos, including some from "Dancing with the Stars":

Gallery

Edited by A.M.G., Feb 28, 2006 @ 3:52 AM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2006 @ 8:17 AM

Third edition of Dancing with the Stars in Poland coming up on Sunday...

Wow--thanks for letting us know, A.M.G.. Please be sure to give us the information on all the new celebrities and their partners--it will be fun to watch from the beginning!

Now I have the Australian, Austrian, Dutch, Mexican, and Polish versions of DWTS to enjoy, now that the US version has ended--lucky me! :)

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 28, 2006 @ 6:33 PM

Thanks from me too, A.M.G.! I'm looking forward to the third season; I thought the second was madly creative, on top of the fact that it featured some great dancing. Loved the Kasia gallery too, she's an unbelievably pretty girl.

laceydwts

laceydwts

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2006 @ 7:56 PM

Wow, I've just started watching DWTS Poland and what can I say. Piotr and Anna...Samba?!?! Never laughed so much at a DWTS dance. The fur coat, the opening routine....."botafogoes.....voltas...."

I'm off to watch some of the rest.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 11:47 PM

Hey, does anyone know how to work the videos clips? There doesn't seem to be a link to any video clips on the show's official website, unless I'm missing something.

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:35 AM

I checked out the site earlier today, legaleagle44, and it seems to me the videos weren't up yet. I'm expecting to have to wait at least a week after each show, like the last time.

laceydwts, I hope you got to see Piotr and Anna's Godfather paso doble as well. The guy is such an entertainer.

Oh, and can I register an official complaint with the Polish naming authorities as well. Two celebrities named Aneta, three pros named Robert, three more named Rafał? Variety, people, variety!

Edited by Andreanne, Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:38 AM.

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:56 PM

Videos are up, and for the first three weeks in one fell swoop. I think the Polish edition generally has the best male celebs -- they're not too cool to really get into dancing. Unfortunately, the website was designed by Rube Goldberg. In Polish. Which I don't understand.

Scroll down to where it says "Zobacz Filmy." That gives you the latest week's videos. You click on the little central arrow to pick the couple you want to watch, then click it again to get the names out of the way so you can see the dancers' heads, then click on the little "Play" arrow just above the video "screen." Yes, you have to be very determined. If you want to see the previous weeks, scroll down to where it says "Odcinki" and pick your week.

So far, I think couples no. 5 (Rafał and Aneta) and no. 9 (Robert and Anna) have been impressive, as has couple no. 7 (Ola and Rafał, a goofy male pro who was a finalist last year).

DWTS Poland is the only one I know that posts the public's rankings ("ranking widzůw"), so you can see who's popular and who isn't.

Edited by Andreanne, Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:58 PM.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 12:20 AM

Wow, thanks for linking that, Andreanne. It was worth sitting through the entire three weeks of dancing! :)

I agree with your picks about the most outstanding couples. To tell you the truth, it was really hard to find anything to criticize about any of the couples, except perhaps for a lack of expression and chemistry in Tomasz and Blanka's dancing, especially their Rumba. I'm not at all surprised that they were the first ones eliminated, or that Paolo and Kamila were the second couple out, for the same reason.

One of the things that impresses me the most about this version of DWTS (aside from the fantastic music, which is light-years better than anything on the US version) is the choreography. It really seems to be designed to challenge the celebs right from the start, as opposed to what I've seen so far on, say, the Austrian version. *yawn* It's also fun to listen to American-language lyrics being sung with a Polish accent; I don't think I've noticed the accents that much on any of the other European versions before. In fact, I'm amazed that American songs appear to be the favorite choices among all the international (i.e., non-U.S.) versions of the show; I would think that local pop equivalents would be more logical choices.

I can't wait to see the Foxtrot and the Paso Doble on Odincek 4!

laceydwts

laceydwts

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 6:56 AM

I've just started on the second series. The Polish celebrities are really very talented. This series so far and last series.

Andreanne, yes I did see their Paso. I was very very impressed, just looking at his physique I wouldn't have expected all that but he's a good dancer and performer. And the arrangement on the Godfather theme was great - very Paso!

What I did find completely shocking is the amount of props and extra dancers they used last series. As entertainment is great but as a competition it's a bit of a cheat IMO.

Edited by laceydwts, Mar 23, 2006 @ 7:41 AM.

Andreanne

Andreanne

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 12:11 AM

What I did find completely shocking is the amount of props and extra dancers they used last series. As entertainment is great but as a competition it's a bit of a cheat IMO.

It's interesting that every country seems to impose its own style within the DWTS format. The Poles are obviously more into the entertainment aspect, and the dancing is at an very high level for the most part. Drew and Stacy would have been the norm here, instead of obvious standouts. As long as the playing field is level for all the dancers, I'm not really bothered by the props, and I accept that I'll be seeing a lot of dashing from the wings and rolling around on the ground!

I am glad, however, that they've kept the cute bandleader.

Here's a brief rundown of the participants. I don't speak Polish, so I'm not guaranteeing I got anything right. As was the case last season, most of the pros seem to be Latin dancers, but with standard training as well.

Para nr 1: Aneta Kreglicka, the first and so far only Miss Poland to become Miss World, in 1989. She just turned 31 on March 23 and seems to have some modern dance training.
Robert Rowiński: partner Kamila Drezno.

Para nr 2: Tomasz Stockinger, film and theater actor.
Blanka Winiarska, current partner Marcin Hakiel (winner of the second edition)

Para nr 3: Joanna Jabłczyńska, child star (singing and acting), inspired by last seasonís Kuba to take part in the show.
Piotr Kiszka, now retired from competition, has his own school.

Para nr 4: Paolo Cozza, Italian who fell in love with Poland, television host (travel show, I think). Anyway, he was pretty bad and has already been eliminated.
Kamila Drezno, current partner Robert Rowiński

Para nr 5: Rafał Mroczek, television actor, has a twin and some modern dance experience.
Aneta Piotrowska, 19 years old, won amateur Latin titles with Derek Hough, currently seems to be partnerless.

Para nr 6: Renata Dancewicz, young actress (film, theater and television), had dreams of becoming a ballerina, so decided to participate in the show.
Marcin Olszewski, interested in aviation, has danced on stage in Grease and in Roman Polanski's Dance of the Vampires

Para nr 7: Aleksandra (Ola) Kwaśniewska, 25, daughter of the former President of Poland. She graduated from Warsaw University with a degree in psychology. She enjoyed watching the show, so she accepted when she was asked to take part.
Rafał Maserak, current partner Magdalena Soszyńska, also dances with Volt dancing group (I think these were the "extra" dancers used last year).

Para nr 8: Rafał Cieszyński, actor who previously thought of entering the Church and instead became famous for playing the devil in a television series. Likes the show (DWTS) because itís good entertainment.
Magdalena Soszyńska, current partner Rafał Maserak

Para nr 9: Robert Rozmus, theater actor, has acted in musical comedies, active in lots of sports so is in pretty good shape.
Anna Głogowska, current partner Marcin Wrzesiński

Para nr 10: Joanna Koroniewska, television and film actress.
Robert Kochanek, current partner Anna Stepunina

My comments on Odcinek 1:
I liked Tomasz and Blanka's waltz a lot better than the judges, and I guess I liked him a lot better than the public did!
Ola and Rafał7's chacha was too frantic, although I liked the ending.
Can anyone tell me why Rafał5 and Aneta were second from the bottom with their chacha? I was pretty impressed with them.
Robert9 and Anna smoked their chacha, but I think his personality could get annoying.

Odcinek 3:
Weirdest tango ever by Rafał8 and Magdalena.
I hate to sound like Federation President Barry Fife, but Robert1's costume was sloppy and distracting.

I went back to check Rafał5 and Aneta's chacha again, and I discovered we have rehearsal videos here. Choose among the "pary," use the little arrows to navigate, and don't forget to click on "Zobacz Filmy." So many dancing celebs, so little time...

I'm almost glad I couldn't find videos for the South African Strictly Come Dancing! That's in spite of the fact that Michael Wentink's celeb is dancing in the final this weekend.

ETA: OK, I've checked out some of rehearsal videos, and am now officially in love with Rafał7. I bet a sizable part of that couple's vote comes from his fans. I know I'd be voting for him just so I could watch his rehearsal clips, even though I think his dancing is way over the top at times. On the other hand, he and Małgosia did have the most romantic and gorgeous waltz last season.

Edited by Andreanne, Mar 25, 2006 @ 9:19 AM.

mala

mala

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 3:21 AM

Hello everybody,

greetings from poland. I have seen that the polish edition of Dancing with the stars has some fans also abroad...waw.
Just to make a small correction - Anita Kreglicka (a former Miss World) completed 41 (not 31) last week :) I agree Rafal7 is a great dancer but nothing starnge if he is a professionalist.
After yesterday's evening there are only 7 couples left.

p.s. I have read what you said about the music. From what the participants say there are not absolutely free in choosing the music. Organizator prepare some available positions and they need to draw - so that's why somestimes we have untypical Pasodoble etc... Aha and i do not know if you noticed that usually (when there are less cuoples left) all the couples have music from the same period, we can say episodes are named "Music of 70's or 80" "Musical" - it was likes this last sezon.