1-11: "Fashion Week" 2005.02.23

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

117 replies to this topic

Wing Chun

Wing Chun

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 11:36 AM

Kara Saun loses her mind, and Jay wins. Smell ya later, Wendy!

Baralai

Baralai

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 11:59 AM

I was torn between Jay and Kara. Originally, I wanted Kara to win, but when I saw more of Jay(and fashon week), I was glad he won and found it to be the right choice.

Wendy didn't stand a chance. Some of her clothes were nice, but most of them were just 'meh' or outright awful.

Bubbacat

Bubbacat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 12:20 PM

most of them were just 'meh' or outright awful.

Or downright see-through. To quote Michael Kors, "Boobies!"

And let us not forget Shoegate. Custom-designed shoes for $5 a pair? Nice try, Kara Saun, but no dice.

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 12:22 PM

Kara Saun's designs were lovely, like fine art, but it was Jay's closet I wanted to play dress-up in.

Favorite moment: when the model tripped on Kara Saun's gown and Michael and Nina's eyebrows were raised to the ceiling. Or maybe Jay's honesty that he would go nutz if his mom visited him while he was working.

Least favorite moment: Wendy pimping her daughter in a misguided bid for sympathy. Is that really the mother love? She's cute, but let her be a kid not a prop. Maybe it's just my bias speaking.

BenPanced

BenPanced

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 12:44 PM

Some of her clothes were nice, but most of them were just 'meh' or outright awful.

I watched her part of the show and thought, "Man, that's an awful lot of brown there." Like earlier in the series, there were one or two designs that showed a spark of creativity, but you couldn't see them for the sea of bland surrounding them.

pistalrose

pistalrose

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 1:21 PM

Least favorite moment: Wendy pimping her daughter in a misguided bid for sympathy

But my favorite part of the 'Wendy-at-work-creating" was when her daughter revealed to Tim that the picture had been mom's idea. Classic.

oregonbeach

oregonbeach

Fanatic

• Interests:Leverage, The West Wing where ever I can find them. Blue Bloods, Castle, Doc Martin, yada yada.My other interests involve sand and surf, baby. Also eating, cooking, serving my cooking, growing food....

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 2:34 PM

Shoegate brought out what we should have suspected all along: Kara Saun wasn't as perfect as she appeared. Still don't know why they picked on Wendy for "Boobies." It wasn't like she was the only one to ever do that in an evening gown. Looking at Austin's decoy collection, he has a lace blouse that does the same thing. It's just that there are so many other things to pick on her about, why choose something like that?

Edited by oregonbeach, Nov 10, 2005 @ 2:35 PM.

Selma04

Selma04

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 3:02 PM

Still don't know why they picked on Wendy for "Boobies." It wasn't like she was the only one to ever do that in an evening gown. Looking at Austin's decoy collection, he has a lace blouse that does the same thing. It's just that there are so many other things to pick on her about, why choose something like that?

I understood that as a criticism of the lack of cohesiveness of her collection overall. Clothes in a collection are supposed to be related and have a common point of view, and yadda, yadda, fashion-speak. Wendy has a satin dress that was very mother-of-the-bride, a velvet suit that looked like something Laura Bush would wear, and then (Gasp!!) boobies. Her "collection" was incoherent. At least that's my take. And, also, Michael Kors seems grossed out by female body parts.

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 3:15 PM

I concluded that Wendy just didn't have "collection" in her. I used to live in Virginia near the Blue Ridge, and the Blue Ridge in autumn should have been a fantastic inspiration in terms of color and texture. And if she held to a fixed idea of who she was designing for (say a thirty-ish woman in the No. Virginia horsey set, who is probably a typical client for her) I think the style would have been cohesive.

Instead, some of it was D.C. matronly, some of it vaguely "Renaissance Fair" and some of it was what Jay said about Wendy in the first "collection" challenge -- a forty year old mother's idea of what "the kids" are wearing (or something like that).

I did like the quilted pant suit, but you would have to be a rail to risk wearing that. Unlike Jay's quilted coat, which might have been my favorite piece of the whole season (or at least my favorite today).

Douggley

Douggley

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 3:21 PM

I think that Wendy had a couple of strong pieces: the pantsuit that Martinique wore, the "Boobies" blouse/skirt, and the leather corset that Melissa wore. Unfortunately, the rest of her collection was really average and matronly.
I loved Jay's collection so much. The blue, deep-plunging sweater with the bead necklace was amazing, as was the dress that Julia wore. I actually would also love to wear a male version of his "indie-rock" outfit -- the girl with the argyle-looking sweater. Every piece worked in its own way.
Kara Saun's never did it for me. It was pretty, but it wasn't fashion.

Lotamoxie

Lotamoxie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2005 @ 12:02 PM

I was torn between Jay and Kara. Originally, I wanted Kara to win, but when I saw more of Jay(and fashon week), I was glad he won and found it to be the right choice.

Same here. I had been cheering for Kara Saun up until the Fashion Week episode. After the shoegate, and getting to know Jay better, I was on his side. Plus, he had the better collection, IMO.

I love this coat that Jay designed. Not the best picture, but the quilted coat was gorgeous.

djuna

djuna

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 5:48 PM

I've been watching the marathon today, and while I adore Jay and want him to be my best designer friend forever, I forgot how tired I thought his collection looked. Tons of little pins on the jacket? Eh. Quilted jackets? Don't I have one of those from Anthropologie? And the crochet/knitted stuff was impressive from a labor-intensive standpoint (I am a fanatical knitter, so I know from complicated yarn patterns), but looked an awful lot like things that my friends and I crank out.

That said, I'd be much more likely to wear his stuff than Kara Saun's, which looked more polished and original to non-Vogue-subscribing me.

OraBrooch

OraBrooch

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 6:23 PM

Wendy Pepper's license plate is "SEW.BE.IT?" That's even lamer than Steve Sanders's "I8A4RE" on 90210.

DoubleO

DoubleO

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 3:16 PM

So glad Jay won. Kara Saun's stuff was, as Nina Garcia said, perfect, but it seemed derivative even to me, and I know dick about fashion.

I'd forgotten how delightful Shoegate was. My roommate and I got into a discussion about it while watching the marathon on Saturday, and we both agreed that what bothered us was not that she had broken the rules, but that she refused to cop to it. KS was not so stupid that she couldn't see the difference between the shoes they were given by the show and the ones she'd had made to her specifications. I would've had a lot more respect for her in the aftermath if she'd just had the grace to admit that she tried to pull something and got caught.

I also think that either she or Jay should've called Wendy out on taking the room with two beds in it. I go back and forth on whether the producers encouraged her to do it or if it was just Wendy being evil and trying to cause problems.

Lotamoxie

Lotamoxie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 3:24 PM

I would've had a lot more respect for her in the aftermath if she'd just had the grace to admit that she tried to pull something and got caught.

Exactly. I could buy that the original shoe problem was a mistake and not a calculated move on her part, but trying to justify her way out of it and then coming up with a bogus receipt ($5 each for those shows? No way.) and then comparing the shoes she had custom made to the freebies that Jay and Wendy got was awful. That said, why didn't Wendy and Jay make their own arrangements for shoes before they got to New York?

zesparkplug

zesparkplug

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 3:30 PM

That said, why didn't Wendy and Jay make their own arrangements for shoes before they got to New York?

I never understood this either. I guess it was plausible that Wendy wouldn't be prepared, but Jay's outfits were meticulously coordinated. He had a lot of accessories to finish each "look". Yet, he never gave a thought to shoes and was spraypainting cheapo heels days before the shows? Maybe they were under the impression that shoes would be provided to them (more than just a bin of Mochael Kors').

Lotamoxie

Lotamoxie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 3:36 PM

Maybe they were under the impression that shoes would be provided to them (more than just a bin of Mochael Kors').

Even if they thought shoes would be provided, I would think they'd want to make sure they had just the right shoe for at least some of their outfits instead of just trusting that they'd get good shoes.

Selma04

Selma04

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 3:58 PM

Since they had access to the Banana Republic Wall O' Accessories during the show, maybe they both assumed that would still be there.

My roommate and I got into a discussion about it while watching the marathon on Saturday, and we both agreed that what bothered us was not that she had broken the rules, but that she refused to cop to it.

To me it was the combination of both of those plus the fact that she said that she felt she was being punished for having better taste that the other two. Oh, please! She totally lost me there. Before she said that, I would have been happy if either she or Jay had one. But after that, I would have been annoyed if she had won. What a snotty thing to say.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2005 @ 1:42 AM

I thought Jay had at shoes already, nothing special but he unlike Wedny had at least thought of it and he just picked through the pile to switch out some of his shoes.

Edited by biakbiak, Nov 22, 2005 @ 1:43 AM.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2005 @ 11:16 AM

I thought Jay had at shoes already, nothing special but he unlike Wedny had at least thought of it and he just picked through the pile to switch out some of his shoes.

He definately had some shoes. Those big fuzzy boots were not provided by Kors, I'm sure. But I think he used a pair or two of Kors's shoes because he could. Wendy was the only one who had not thought of shoes at all. (Because she's really thick.)

I think that was one of the reasons Jay had a right to be irritated with Kara, because he had paid for his shoes and she was getting them free.

blushgoddess

blushgoddess

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2005 @ 5:39 PM

Wendy copped to having not thought about accessories at all, let alone the shoes. Now, I'm no fashion designer, but even I understand that you put completed looks on the runway, not just outfits.

But in WendyLand, I'm sure things are very different.

epogurl

epogurl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2005 @ 3:35 PM

I also think that either she or Jay should've called Wendy out on taking the room with two beds in it. I go back and forth on whether the producers encouraged her to do it or if it was just Wendy being evil and trying to cause problems.

I think that's specifically why neither of them made an issue of it. They knew she did it to stir the shit and they didn't want to give her the satisfaction of making a scene. I think Kara Saun made the correct decision to just sleep on the couch. They had a stressful week ahead of them and didn't need to spend any energy on manufactured drama.

Siege Perilous

Siege Perilous

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2005 @ 6:21 PM

Shoegate was interesting because in a previous episode, Kara said something like: when people get competitive, they do crazy things and don't act like themselves. Maybe she was talking about herself.

I agree that the comment, "You're penalizing me for having good taste!" was snobby, along with the earlier comment, "What do $9 shoes look like?" when Jay goes out and buys some $9 shoes. Considering that Kara grew up in an army family, I have trouble believing that she never wore a pair of inexpensive shoes.

It was amusing that when the makeup guy showed up, Jay knew exactly what he wanted, but the two women just relied on the makeup guy's advice. Iím guessing Austin wouldn't have needed any outside advice on makeup, either.

I'm also disappointed that they didn't give a few minutes to Ausin's show, and a few extra seconds to show every piece in the final three collections. They could spend huge segments of time on Wendy and shoegate and Heidi's pointless exposition, but not an extra 30 seconds to show all the outfits?

bearkitty

bearkitty

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 27, 2005 @ 6:32 PM

I think Kara was wrong to try to break the rules, but in a way, she was smart because she was probably thinking about long term success rather than winning the show. Her stuff looked better because of the matching shoes, and it probably payed off in publicity or some other such way.

justgerry2000

justgerry2000

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 27, 2005 @ 8:21 PM

just watched the last eppy AGAIN and am sooo excited for the new season.

jay totally deserved to win.

and oh that wendy pepper! her stuff was nice enough, but nothing that was really cutting edge in any way. kara saun's collection was classic with anew spin, but jay not only had a great collection but a great concept as well.

speaking of jay, anyone happen to know the song he used for his showing? i found kara saun's but can't find jays... help anyone. thanks.

Edited by Jacob, Nov 27, 2005 @ 9:54 PM.

ultimategirl

ultimategirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 27, 2005 @ 11:23 PM

I would've had a lot more respect for her in the aftermath if she'd just had the grace to admit that she tried to pull something and got caught.

Word. I'm of the mind that she honestly didn't think she was violating the rules, and from what Tim Gunn said on the show about the contract (that they couldn't receive anything for free that "enhanced the value of the collection"), I could see why she would think that. But if you're getting called on it...give it up.

I also forgotten how extra bizarre Wendy was in the episode. I couldn't figure out whether she honestly thought Jay and Kara Saun were engaged in some sort of psychological game playing by calling her out on her psychological game playing or if that was just more game playing in and of itself, but it was so weird.

ClarionGrad

ClarionGrad

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 12:13 AM

I don't remember exactly where we were talking about this, but the answer was in this episode: here's where Michael Kors, in refering to Jay's reworking of his red carpet challenge, deconstructed dress, said:

She's a little too matchy-matchy, a little too DTM, dyed to match.

Of course, when you repeat that to yourself, you have to say it in that smug, self-satisfied way that indicates you're dripping with envy over Jay's talent, or it's just not the same. {eg}

Ditto about how PR could have better served the audience by ignoring the "drama" and showing us all the runway outfits and Austin's collection as well. They damn well better be somewhere on that DVD! (Two days to shipping!!)

Edited by ClarionGrad, Nov 28, 2005 @ 12:12 AM.

Cheese Nip

Cheese Nip

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 9:16 AM

Kara Saun knew exactly what she was doing, she just got caught and didn't want to give up. She didn't want to have to pay sample prices. The only REAL way around that is to eventually order a large number of the styles sampled (then the samples are provided 'free' as a service to the designer). If she had gone to stores and gotten orders for those shoes placed BEFORE the final runway challenge, technically they would not be 'free', but that would require her showing them to buyers, which I'm sure is against the rules. A manufacturer isn't going to give ANYTHING away for free, no matter how good a friend you are to the designer, so I'm sure Kara told her friend that Dollhouse would get a few plugs on the show (which they did, and I'm surprised the producers didn't bleep out the name. Banana Republic and Cotton paid some cash for those shout outs, I'm sure they were on the phone immediately after seeing Dollhouse get one for free). I'd also be willing to bet that Kara promised to produce those shoes with Dollhouse following the show, with the tag of 'as seen on PR', but the PR legal team put the kibosh on that too.

Now, if she had gone to her friend at Dollhouse and asked to buy some old production samples from him at a nominal cost, that would've been perfectly acceptable. If a piece is made for sample and not resale, it is given a 'price' for customs purposes (I usually price bags out at $10. Will sell the production pieces for maybe $300, but because I'm not selling the sample, its arbitrary. So, $10.). Kara could've paid that 'price' (probably what she was thinking of when she said '$5' a shoe), and technically not been cheating. It would'nt have been quite so cool as custom, but better than going through Michael Kors Big Box of Boring Black Shoes. She would've been using a resource not available to all the designers, but Jay got some stuff custom knit, and I'm sure wendy didn't do that leather work herself, so as long as everyone is paying for their resources.....tough nuts if you didn't find a way to do it yourself.

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 9:55 AM

The whole "shoe-gate" thing was a tempest in a teapot. Yes, Kara Saun broke the rules and, yes, she got caught. But there really wasn't a penalty. Don't consider the shoes in judging? How could they not? The human brain doesn't work that way. The shoes and boots helped create the total look, the first impression the judges received when the model stepped on the runway. So she didn't get any extra credit for really great boots. Big deal. The bigger penalty was how petty Kara Saun looked on national TV, although no more so than the junior high bickering with Wendy, but I suspect the editors had as much to do with that impression as Kara Saun's actual behavior.

It was all irrelevant in the end. Maybe "shoe-gate" would have been a tie-breaker against Kara Saun if Kara Saun and Jay were close, but while Kara Saun's collection was lovely, Jay's was also lovely and in way that didn't immediately bring to mind another designer or era. Jay was the clear winner, at least for me, and I'm betting for the judges, too.

Edited by desdamonab, Nov 28, 2005 @ 9:58 AM.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 10:50 AM

Word. I'm of the mind that she honestly didn't think she was violating the rules, and from what Tim Gunn said on the show about the contract (that they couldn't receive anything for free that "enhanced the value of the collection"), I could see why she would think that. But if you're getting called on it...give it up.

It proved to be typical behavior for her though. She got called on the Gucci thing (which to be fair went totally over my head at the time until someone in the old thread provided links and the history of the "bits") and she kept on saying that this was stuff she'd been doing for years. Although that may have just been a CYA tactic.

I also forgotten how extra bizarre Wendy was in the episode. I couldn't figure out whether she honestly thought Jay and Kara Saun were engaged in some sort of psychological game playing by calling her out on her psychological game playing or if that was just more game playing in and of itself, but it was so weird.

I don't think Wendy ever really grasped that she wasn't on Survivor. That was her problem going in and that was her problem at the end. It got her to Fashion Week, but she never had the self-realization to see that it would never get her to the #1 spot.