Bones

• Please log in to reply

18876 replies to this topic

supercrusader

supercrusader

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:02 AM

I would think the Bank has ALREADY contacted Hodgins.
I hope they get the money back , I am not so sure there wont be more twists.
If Pelant uses the fortune to fund his operations, the money could be confiscated as part of a Federal investigation.

Edited by supercrusader, Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:03 AM.

stevger

stevger

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 3:03 AM

I wanted Pelant to die so bad when Booth took the shot, because it would then be over. this has got to be worst multi episode storyline on any show.

And yeah, I can usually suspend my disbelief, but they showed that the FBI had all exits covered, and he was able to get away? Really??? The best I can think of is that the "secret exit" went to some other building's garage (maybe across the street), and they didn't have that covered. But even then, the "owner" of the building told them where the "secret exit" was and presumably knew where it went, so you think they would have at least a few of the guys covering that other garage from the outside. Hell, if the guy knew it went to the garage, Booth could have just gone to the other garage directly, without going through the secret exits.

Poor police work indeed.

Shadda

Shadda

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 11:33 AM

I usually just lurk here, but the draining of the accounts was so over the top silly I just can't help myself. No one would have that much cash. You can't drain stocks, bonds, and real estate, which is where Hodgens’ money is probably housed. Stocks cannot be transferred, or become instant cash and in your personal account that quickly. Not to mention the SEC would shut down the transactions instantly if it were involving billions of dollars. They can pull the plug faster than Pelant can, not to mention negate the transactions. The Corporations would have stock holders, which would require him draining their accounts as well. And of course, there would have to be real estate holdings. None of that could be touched by simply draining an account. Real estate is a whole different ball game there. For him to take all of Hodgens’ money it would all have to be in cash and that is just not going to happen.

rub2

rub2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 1:03 PM

Also the whole thing with the enigma machine? Do you think that someone like Pelant would have trouble cracking a 70 year old encryption scheme? You know considering that he can have a more powerful computer in his pocket than anything that allied codebreakers would have access to. Also the drone things at the end just came out of nowhere. This whole arc should have ended a long, long time ago.

Also, this can't be the first time that a mutilated corpse has shown up at the Jeffersonian. Why where they so quick to jump to the conclusion that Pelant did it?

supercrusader

supercrusader

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 2:31 PM

Actually, I think a mutilated Corpse showed up under the Jeffersonian during the Gormogon case .

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 2:32 PM

Also, it is not Angela's dad is poor. He too probably has a ton of money. If need be they could also borrow from him. She probably has trusts etc from him anyway. They are not poor. Their salaries would allow them to live a good life, not just to their old standard.

Yeah... I thought this was kinda dumb as a plot point, if only because they both seem to have marketable skills. (I mean Angela can reprogram drones on the fly, she's not going to be reduced to bagging groceries). Also, the FBI is involved and aware of Palant and this will be the second or third time Palant has magically recreated himself and now he's shot an FBI agent so.... people are going to believe Jack Hodges when he says his accounts were drained in a blackmail attempt involving the saving of Afghani school girls from a firebombing drone.

And Angela's dad has money, Angela and Hodges have jobs and also rich friends. It's not a bad idea to reduce the wealth - Hodges's ability to throw money and resources at a problem are an annoying plot point as well, but this was a pretty corny way to do it.

pepper anderson

pepper anderson

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 4:02 PM

I usually just lurk here, but the draining of the accounts was so over the top silly I just can't help myself. No one would have that much cash. You can't drain stocks, bonds, and real estate, which is where Hodgens’ money is probably housed. Stocks cannot be transferred, or become instant cash and in your personal account that quickly.

This. Securities transactions usually take 3 days to settle. So you instruct your broker to sell, they find a buyer and agree on price, then three days later money is exchanged. And in cases of fraud where the FBI is involved, they would be able to unwind the transaction way before settlement day, so Hodgins would not be broke, even without real estate holdings, or venture capital in independent companies etc. And if he owned a significant block of stock in family companies, he likely couldn't legally sell without board approval because dumping blocks of shares in the market could negatively affect the overall price. And I'm guessing he knows a couple of people on the board, so that approval couldn't happen in secret and it certainly couldn't happen in one day.

And, as far as the cash goes, banks have insurance to deal with someone draining clients' accounts by hacking their systems, so even without Angela's father's money, Hodgins' job and Angela's mad hacking skills to supplement her art, I'm guessing there will be no real financial hardship. Especially since Hodgins has never lived a life of opulence requiring his family fortune. So yeah, I hope they let that storyline drop and show it was just a bluff to distract Hodgins if he accessed the drone software, because I can't suspend disbelief well enough to deal with poverty-stricken Angela and Hodgins as an ongoing subplot.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 5:32 PM

So yeah, I hope they let that storyline drop and show it was just a bluff to distract Hodgins if he accessed the drone software, because I can't suspend disbelief well enough to deal with poverty-stricken Angela and Hodgins as an ongoing subplot.

I would hope they drop it because I don't consider myself financially savvy, and I spotted the holes in this. I could see his personal accounts being hacked and since Palant is a super genius or whatever, maybe that could be covered up, but the massive sell off of the company stock? The real estate investments? The obvious FBI involvement that can't be covered up or hidden or ignored? My point here is that unlike say, setting up Bones for murder, which was also kinda dumb, the FBI now knows that this is how Palant works so people are going to believe Hodge's "I was robbed!", it will be investigated as a crime and he won't be poor.

As a shocking idea its not bad although really, was there any doubt that Hodges would give up the money? This kind of supervilliany plot depends too much on everyone doing exactly what the supervillian wants. What if Hodges and Angela did the sane thing and went to Hawaii to wait this out? Then the dramatic "lyceum" code is meaningless,the money is drained, and the adorable Afghani school girls are slaughtered with no real pay off to Palant since Hodges and Angela are hiding in Maui anyway.

Or am I overthinking the stupid?

jollycat

jollycat

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 6:32 PM

I don't normally comment, but I have to say I have stopped watching other shows when the bad guy starts targeting the main characters and Bones is coming very close to losing me as a viewer. I don't want to see the team constantly in danger. I just want to watch them solve crazy murders, not be targets.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 6:38 PM

Or am I overthinking the stupid?

Probably, hah. The problem is that this plot is so stupid that the more you think about it, the worst it gets. As dramatic as it is (sort of-- as ZoloftBlob pointed out, did anyone doubt they would let the money go?) for Angela and Hodgins to lose all their money-- this is exactly why billionaries don't keep all their assets as cold hard cash in the first place! Grrrr, the more I think about it, the angrier I get. It's completely retarded.

I hope they drop it asap, because I have to listen to it until the season is over, I will stab myself. Additionally, even if the Cantilever group is funding half the Jeffersonian, they should be able to finish out the fiscal year because generally money like that is awarded on an annual basis based on a budget, not monthly/quarterly.

As flimsy as the case was, framing Brennan for murder was leaps and bounds above Pelant stealing all of Hodgins' money. It made a lot more sense, anyway.

Also the whole thing with the enigma machine?

But he has to know they're using the enigma machine, right? I assume he'd be curious as to how the squints were getting their info to the FBI, but unless he actually knew they were using the machine, he wouldn't be able to break the code.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 7:07 PM

It wasn't clear to me how the enigma machine sends information. Does it use radio waves? Phone lines?

BooksRule

BooksRule

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

I googled enigma machine and read a lot of text that I didn't really understand. But I did catch the phrase 'radio operator' several times, so I assume that was how they transmitted. Both machines that are being used to transmit and receive have to be set using the same settings or it won't work between them. And, that's all I know about enigma machines!

I didn't care at all about the Pelant (sp?) story arc. I've missed some episodes this season and last, so I'm not sure I even know who he is.

The only thing I kind of liked about this episode was the crew having to work the case 'old school' (with no real technology). 'CSI' had an episode like that once, and I like it when they have to work without computers and the other newfangled equipment they have on hand. They even had to crack open a book or two!

Willowsmom

Willowsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

It wasn't clear to me how the enigma machine sends information. Does it use radio waves? Phone lines?

My understanding of the real Enigma is that it was used to code written messages. I.E. a message would be typed into Enigma and lights telling the coder what to write down would light. Books were issued to tell the German military which code to use on which day.

The science on this show is a disaster. I noticed this in the episode where they're all quarantined for Valley fever. I've been exposed and the incubation is up to 10 years. It's also not catchy, you get it from fungus in the soil. That's just the first in a long line of stupid science.

mightybigpiperfan

mightybigpiperfan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

The science on this show is a disaster.

So is the medicine. I highly doubt Pelant would have been able to get away AND stitch up his face with the way the wound looked.

Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 12:40 AM

I had really hoped the magic hacker storyline would be over after this. Every time he shows up it gets worse... well that might not be true. Writing code on bone is really bad. But draining countless accounts and other holdings, private and business, without the chance of getting that money back, that is a close second.
Dear writers, hackers are not wizards! If you want to write medieval fantasy do so. Keep it out of a modern show. I mean the science on this show is really bad in general, but when it comes to computers it gets brain-exploding-bad.

Also that drone thing... same problem I have with it in "homeland". Since when does anybody care when american drones kill innocent civilians? That happens all the time.
Okay, I guess in this case the squints wouldn't want anybody to die, but they all acted so shocked, as if that was something unthinkable, that doesn't happen all the time... even the private army guys...

This show has lost any connection to reality. I'm not out yet, because I usually stick to a show till the bitter end, once I'm more than one season in, but it's getting really close.

Maybe the writers and/or producers want to end this show, the network won't let them, so they try to pull a Jack Donaghy and tank this show? I really have no other explaination. There is so much stupid. There is no material in the universe strong enough to suspend my disbelieve with, when it comes to this show.

Back to the Palant plot: How are they supposed to ever catch him, when he can magically change his identity every time they have something on him? I see something really stupid and contrived coming our way. Unless the writers throw up their hands and let him just get shot by somebody.
Ofcourse that would still be stupid, because that would mean we could have avoided all this crap, if somebody had shot him in the first place. For example when he framed Brenon for murder.

Edited by Miles Prower, Jan 23, 2013 @ 2:15 AM.

rub2

rub2

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 5:26 AM

I had really hoped the magic hacker storyline would be over after this. Every time he shows up it gets worse... well that might not be true. Writing code on bone is really bad. But draining countless accounts and other holdings, private and business, without the chance of getting that money back, that is a close second.

Well, a realistic hacking storyline would be boring as hell. The code written on the bone wasn't bad at all. However, the story has simply become ridiculous.

Edited by rub2, Jan 23, 2013 @ 5:27 AM.

ZoloftBlob

ZoloftBlob

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

Back to the Palant plot: How are they supposed to ever catch him, when he can magically change his identity every time they have something on him?

Yeah, I didn't care for the "No, wait, he's actually Egyption!" stuff because it just seemed implausible that several FBI agents, including a director, would suddenly be lying about how creepy Egyption terrorist guy is actually creepy American murderer guy? I know its a common trope - they did it on BBC Sherlock as well. The problem is that it defies reality that suddenly no one would believe previously trusted agents. I mean, what was the explanation for the FBI running an entire murder investigation against this one guy only to discover at the very end that all the documentation they had on Person A magically disappeared and Person A was now Person B?

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

I think my biggest problem with the whole "omnipotent supervillain" thing is that until now, our gang has been the unstoppable force. In any given situation, they seem to have unlimited resources, both material and intellectual, in order to crack any code, catch any criminal, all in the nick of time. But now, all of a sudden, there's this one guy who can supersede all of THAT?? Huh.

dusang

dusang

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 11:40 AM

The Pellant arc lost me in the very first episode he was introduced. Rather than have him coyly maintain his innocence regardless of the theories of Booth & Brennan, the writers had him OPENLY CONFESS to THREE ASPECTS of the crime and yet maintained that he couldn't be charged because of his ankle monitor. He's already been CONVICTED of computer crimes and they feel that the ankle-monitoring system is so foolproof that it provides an unbeatable alibi??

Which, again, there's documented evidence of Pellant all through the government files -- he's been convicted and monitored by the government in the past -- and suddenly he's an Egyptian??

And (now I haven't actually seen this episode) how the fuck did a deported Egyptian make it back into the States without arousing some form of official notice?? I mean, the government may not be omnipotent but it's pretty fucking hard for the average Egyptian to get through customs and immigration let alone some one who has already been DEPORTED FROM THE COUNTRY so... WTF???

As to the stolen money... Bane did it better.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

Not to mention that another Fox show -- House -- already did the whole "bad guy forcing people to do what he wants by going after their bank accounts" thing when House clashed with a new hospital administrator.

Maybe the Fox studio has some kind of common room where all the writers can stop by, picking through a box filled with stand-by story ideas and plot devices...

BooNasty0121

BooNasty0121

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 3:30 PM

My issue is this - Hodgins already came close to killing Pelant right? So if a serial killer had been in my home & actually held my child and I had Hodgins' wealth, there would be no more conversations about arresting Pelant. There would be one phone call to a 'fixer' and no one would ever see or hear from Pelant ever again. It's kind of stupid to me that, with all the fuss they've made about Jack's money, we wouldn't see him using it to find that crazy bastard to put him in the ground. Why make Hodgins ridiculously wealthy and then not use that wealth and influence to take matters into his own hands?

Please TV gods, let this storyline be over before the season finale. Have they ever had a Big Bad stay around this long? Even the Gravedigger was already at least in custody when she got her head blowed off.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 7:35 PM

Agreed. This is doubly ridiculous because Max already has a history of doing precisely that, especially when someone's threatening one of his kids; and TRIPLY ridiculous because Booth is a bigwig with the FBI and is fiercely protective of his family to boot. Are we really to believe all these people would simply sit back and wait for The System to do its thing? It's only on TV that good typically prevails over evil, no matter how implausible. IRL, Brennan and Christine, or the Hodgins family, would have already been killed by this point.

dusang

dusang

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:01 PM

It depresses me that we are clearly putting more thought into this series than the writers, producers, and possibly actors.

I often wonder about that -- do you think the actors are like "holy shit, this is crap... well, it's a paycheque" or do you think they're like "this show continues to be awesome and I am delighted to play this intriguing and nuanced character." I mean seriously, if I were Emily Deschanel I'd have pictures of my baby surrounding a plaque saying "Do it for her" hanging in my dressing room. (Or him, I don't know what she had but I'm running with the Simpsons analogy.)

Edited by dusang, Jan 23, 2013 @ 8:02 PM.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:21 AM

Oh yeah, I do think the actors are largely phoning it in at this point. I've seen it happen in numerous other shows before. You can see a subtle change in some actors, i.e. in early seasons they seem more open and happy in the role, and in later years either flat in their scenes or else almost angry in their interactions with the other characters. IMO The Andy Griffith Show was an example of the latter. In the last season or two, after Don Knotts had left and Griffith remained due to some kind of contractual issues, he was constantly cranky and it totally poured into his character. It rather spoiled the show for me, truthfully. In my mind TAGS is only about three seasons long.

Oh yeah, I do think the actors are largely phoning it in at this point. I've seen it happen in numerous other shows before. You can see a subtle change in some actors, i.e. in early seasons they seem more open and happy in the role, and in later years either flat in their scenes or else almost angry in their interactions with the other characters. IMO The Andy Griffith Show was an example of the latter. In the last season or two, after Don Knotts had left and Griffith remained due to some kind of contractual issues, he was constantly cranky and it totally poured into his character. It rather spoiled the show for me, truthfully. In my mind TAGS is only about three seasons long.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

So is the medicine. I highly doubt Pelant would have been able to get away AND stitch up his face with the way the wound looked.

The whole thing with Pelant escaping at the end was super dumb. I mean based how short the tunnel was it couldn't have been more than across the street from the building. And the FBI had the building surrounded. Plus Booth had a radio. How hard would it have been to give a description of the car, and the direction it was driving? Combine that with the fact that the back window was shot out and that the driver was seriously injured and you are really telling me the FBI wouldn't have been able to catch him?

BruceMO

BruceMO

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:28 PM

As far as favorites go, I always liked "The Woman in Limbo". It was a great episode for Deschanel, and it explained a lot about Brennan.

BooNasty0121

BooNasty0121

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

Re-watching the ep (I'm a glutton for punishment)and I'm wondering why Angela also didn't make a phone call to her dad. I'm not saying Billy Gibbons would kill Pelant, but I'd bet all the money in my pocket plus a million dollars that he would know somebody who might know somebody who might've heard about somebody else who wouldn't be averse to doing so. I could be very intrigued by the possibility that someone in the group wanted Pelant dead and made sure that happened. They could have taken this story into a whole nother direction by having some kind of proof of Pelant's death be discovered or sent to the lab or something and the trust within the group is shaken. Hodgins would be the obvious choice but we know Max is quite capable of doing it either on his own or because Brennan told him she was scared and afraid for Christine and some unspoken recognition happened between them.

There are just so many more interesting ways they could have taken this story instead of making him into this great serial killing super villain who can control all electronic devices with a pocketknife and internet access.

nannyogg

nannyogg

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:44 PM

Umm, have the writers COMPLETELY forgotten how Hodgins & Angela dated then broke up then got back together? Because the characters in the show, including Hodgins, act like it never happened. Grr.

SueB

SueB

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

Well I cried when Booth was making his tape to Christine. I totally appreciate it was manipulative and was supposed to make us sad -- they succeeded with me. I have no idea why, they just did.

And I liked how they have handled the Daisy/Sweets post breakup. I like what Cam said at the end.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 11:01 PM

I did like the end, too. Booth was very...Booth, hard to explain, but I think everyone here knows what I mean. And as much as Brennan can bug, I did think ED did a great job with Brennan's nonverbal reactions to Booth speaking.

And, yeah, it was nice to see it affect her, so much that she jumped into his arms at the end. And while her choice of burial was still VERY WTF, I did appreciate that Brennan at least took Booth's POV vis a vis her last message to him and their child to heart and altered it, in her own style.

ED looked younger in the braid at the end.

Not a stellar episode, but it wasn't all wacky hijinx, and I do appreciate that.