Bones

• Please log in to reply

18873 replies to this topic

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

As for her vs. Daisy, in just THREE appearances we have already gotten more backstory and character than Daisy in all this time. I mean, honestly, except for Daisy's endless chatter, passion for Lancelot and adoration of Brennan, what do we know of her? Nothing.

But that is fine with me. Daisy is like nails across a chalkboard. I honestly don't get the fascination for this character. If a squint needed to be killed off, it should have been her, not Vincent Nigel-Murray. Then again, if she did die, I could not see sadness so much as relief and celebration, so I guess the emotional beats would have been lost. Hee.

But, as much as I can either take or leave Sweets, I'd like to see some interaction with Agent Shaw. I guess I'm just curious.

liz26111

liz26111

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:52 PM

That being said, like on Criminal Minds, police can ask the FBI to step in--but on CM they make it sound like its a kick in the teeth to call the Feds in and on Bones its fairly common.

I am not sure how local think of the FBI but I do know in reality that unlike what tv tells us the FBI rarely gets involved in murder cases. They do but it is a very small percentage of FBI business. Murder is just the easiest crime to do on a tv show and make them FBI.

Edited by liz26111, Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:54 PM.

marieelise0928

marieelise0928

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

If a squint needed to be killed off, it should have been her, not Vincent Nigel-Murray. Then again, if she did die, I could not see sadness so much as relief and celebration, so I guess the emotional beats would have been lost. Hee.

LOL, but if Brennan had gotten pregnant having invisible celebration sex with Booth, I would probably still be watching just because that would be so awesome.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

LOL, but if Brennan had gotten pregnant having invisible celebration sex with Booth, I would probably still be watching just because that would be so awesome.

You get no argument from me there!

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:46 AM

I have also questioned why Booth investigates so many murders when it doesn't seem like the FBI would have jurisdiction. The only thing I can come up with is 1) in the DC area there is more federal land that could be murder scenes and 2) with Virginia/Maryland/DC being so close, it can easily be a "crossing state lines" issue.

I read a pretty good book a few years ago about the history of the FBI. They mentioned that any law enforcement agency can basically call in the FBI if there is a case where they feel they are in over there heads. That's why in a lot of episodes you get the small town sheriff going over a weird murder case with Booth and Bones. I have sort of assumed that in the world of the show if you want Bones/the Jeffersonian you have to turn the case over to the FBI. Although I am sure in real life these experts would work for whoever pays them, and small town law enforcement would probably be just as likely to call in state police for assistance.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

I read a pretty good book a few years ago about the history of the FBI. They mentioned that any law enforcement agency can basically call in the FBI if there is a case where they feel they are in over there heads.

Now I feel a bit stupid, because I never knew this. So, I guess in some instances, the episodes are easier to hand wave than others, after all.

In any case, while I'm sure more "light" episodes are on the horizon, I am (maybe foolishly) still intrigued to see just where this Pellant/Pelant (however it is spelled!) arc is going. I admit I thought the episode introducing him was one of the more gripping episodes that the series has done in a while.

Parker Booth still exists!

At least where he was has actually been explained. But it sounds like that angle may be a bit bumpy.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

Re: Parker --
Spoiler

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 6:59 PM

True, SnarkySheep, but I just chalk it up to the scheduling and the Parker actor maybe not being available. But, show wise,
Spoiler

But with both Parker/the actor (I recall his first name is Ty) now being older, around 11, I wonder if that will also come up, with Parker having more of a say?

va32h

va32h

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

In terms of show logic - they can't have the kid around as often as a real life involved father would have his kid around. Booth was always running off to crime scenes or catching drinks with Brennan after they solved the case. That's the trouble with having a kid as a regular character - you have to account for the kid.

Having Booth be a noncustodial father with no established visitation keeps the writers from having to constantly shoehorn in some reference to where Parker is. If he's not in an episode he's with his mom. When they want to make some point with him or do a B plot with Daddy Booth, it's visitation week.

I have no trouble suspending my disbelief for this. I think shows would be incredibly boring if the everyday actions of every single character who has ever been mentioned on the show had to be accounted for.

What do all the interns do in the episodes they aren't in? Don't know, don't really care. It's TV.

From a "fanwanky" perspective, I could see Booth (if he actually existed) not wanting a formal visitation agreement because the nature of his work is such that he'd have to cancel any visit if a dead body was found.

I don't know why the show is giving Parker a convoluted reason for not being around though - the show has six years of establishing that he's not always around.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

Well, I guess they could explain it as his mother not wanting him to "interfere" in the final days just before Christine's birth and then in the first days after her arrival, while B and B got adjusted to their new schedule. That said, I could definitely see Booth as the kind of dad who would want his WHOLE family together, and especially for his two children to be part of one another's lives from the start.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:53 PM

Promos for "The Don't in the Do". Kind of weird to see Brennan acting like an actual (insecure) woman who has just had a baby!

Promo 1

Promo 2 - a.k.a. where Booth digs himself deeper into the hole. Hee.

Promo 3

Promo 4

Edited by WendyCR72, Apr 12, 2012 @ 8:57 PM.

xenagirlie

xenagirlie

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:19 AM

I guess this episode was supposed to be about irrational mom behavior, but they could have done better with Cam's storyline. In the beginning of the episode, she sees Finn blow off a girl by telling her a lie about seeing her when he had no intention to because he's too "busy"for dates. That would have made a much better reason for her to be pissed about his sudden change of priorities upon meeting Michelle. Instead she looked like a total wacko.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

I guess this episode was supposed to be about irrational mom behavior, but they could have done better with Cam's storyline. In the beginning of the episode, she sees Finn blow off a girl by telling her a lie about seeing her when he had no intention to because he's too "busy"for dates. That would have made a much better reason for her to be pissed about his sudden change of priorities upon meeting Michelle. Instead she looked like a total wacko.

That angle with Finn and the other girl never even occurred to me, but you're right. That should have been Cam's reason to not like Finn dating Michelle, not because of Finn's past, which Cam had already addressed in the season premiere. It was like she and Hodgins switched personalities in that regard with Hodgins defending Finn's past while Cam had the reservations.

And, really, Cam was just extremely bitchy about it all which, again, made no sense.

Cam needs a real storyline not about just being "mom".

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

All this talk is totally making me see Sweets and Ginny Shaw as a potential couple...anyone else seeing it? She'd be way better for him than Daisy!

In the beginning of the episode, she sees Finn blow off a girl by telling her a lie about seeing her when he had no intention to because he's too "busy"for dates. That would have made a much better reason for her to be pissed about his sudden change of priorities upon meeting Michelle. Instead she looked like a total wacko.

I didn't think of that either, but it really does make sense. Also, it doesn't seem consistent with the "Southern gentleman" personality they've given Finn thus far; would he really be like that to a girl? I doubt it.

Re: Cam -- I agree, the whole "crazy overprotective mom" thing is getting really old.

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

I couldn't figure out why they showed that scene with the other girl, if not for that to be the reason for Cam's opposition. Although if they'd been logical and had Cam say straight out to Michelle "yo he just blew off some other chick five seconds ago with a fake excuse about being too busy working, sees you two seconds later and suddenly he's got time" then the plot would've just been over. Unless Michelle is a doormat.

Edited by theatremouse, Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:34 AM.

Cherzdotes

Cherzdotes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:05 AM

In terms of show logic - they can't have the kid around as often as a real life involved father would have his kid around. Booth was always running off to crime scenes or catching drinks with Brennan after they solved the case. That's the trouble with having a kid as a regular character - you have to account for the kid.

I agree that this is the main reason that we see so little of Parker. But I'm not opposed to the notion that the reason we haven't seen him lately is
Spoiler
Plus it creates more drama, which is what the show runners really want.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Cam's little subplot just annoyed the crap out of me. She has gone to bat for Finn, knows EXACTLY why he did what he did and both likes and respects him. Then he shows an interest in her daughter and she acts like he is some skeevy ex-con she dragged in from the prison bus stop?! Just...No. I get that a parent will be over protective of a child, but that doesn't play when looking at all the facts. But I do seriously love Michelle telling her that she is 18 and will date who she wants. If Cam wasn't being such an idiot, I wouldn't applaud it, but Finn is just a nice guy so I will cheer for Michelle.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

Parker, Schmarker. I don't care what's going on with him when he's not onscreen.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

I don't necessarily care about Parker, either, but I do like that those in charge are, at least, trying to explain such a long absence insofar as not to make Booth look like the most neglectful father around.

So, I like that there is some motivation given, is all. Because the Seeley Booth of previous seasons was - even if the kid was not on screen - shown to be devoted to his kid, while there has been nary a mention this season.

Attention, spoiler whores! TV Line has details for the season finales of 52 series, and Bones is included with hints about
Spoiler

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

I like Parker and wish he was on more. And even if I didn't, I wish the show would reference him more. While I know continuity is the least of the show's worries at this point, it still bugs me. Especially when it's so glaring and could be so easily solved. Like when Booth was going to get brain surgery, hey why not mention Parker his, ya know, son, whose father might have died. Toss away lines like 'Rebecca is out of state, but will be Parker in as soon as possible.' Is easy. When talking about the house and the room for Christine, just mention the one that will also be set aside for Parker. The show had established Booth as a very caring, if thwarted, father. So when it misses ways for him to naturally talk about his child when he should be, it's pretty noticeable to me. And it's not cool.

And I must admit, I'm look forward to that finale as well. Looks like there might be some interesting stories (finally) coming.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

And I must admit, I'm look forward to that finale as well. Looks like there might be some interesting stories (finally) coming.

Yeah, same here. As I said before, I think, while the show is a dramedy, there has been too little "dram" and too much "edy", so I welcome the Pelant arc to put some intensity back into the show.

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:43 AM

I like Parker and wish he was on more. And even if I didn't, I wish the show would reference him more. While I know continuity is the least of the show's worries at this point, it still bugs me. Especially when it's so glaring and could be so easily solved. Like when Booth was going to get brain surgery, hey why not mention Parker his, ya know, son, whose father might have died. Toss away lines like 'Rebecca is out of state, but will be Parker in as soon as possible.' Is easy. When talking about the house and the room for Christine, just mention the one that will also be set aside for Parker.

This is one of my biggest peeves as well...not just with this show, but almost all. Lack of continuity really bothers me. I understand the actors may not be available at certain times, but IMO it's easy, like you said, to toss in a quick line about the missing person.

Like, when Christine was born, only friends/co-workers were around. (The same happened when Michael was born, and really, happens on every show that is centered around a workplace rather than a family.) Would it have been all that hard for Brennan to say, "I can't wait til my dad gets to see her!" or make some mention of Pops or Jared?

The show had established Booth as a very caring, if thwarted, father. So when it misses ways for him to naturally talk about his child when he should be, it's pretty noticeable to me. And it's not cool.

And that's another thing. Ever since Brennan became pregnant, it's like Christine is Booth's only child. I totally understand that there's a ton of work, anticipation, etc. in planning for a new baby, as opposed to parenting an existing child (and an older one like Parker, at that) and that he lives with Christine full-time while he only sees Parker a few times a month. Still, I would find it very hard to believe that the Booth we've been shown all these years would simply let his beloved little boy fall on the wayside like that.

StarryDreamer

StarryDreamer

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:11 PM

Okay Bones fans, I need some help. Which episode is the best with regards to all the different aspects of forensic investigation (ie. we see Hodgins, Angela, Bones, Booth, etc. all in their zones)

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 7:40 PM

Honestly? While each episode has something, I think the pilot is probably the one to watch since that sets it all up and explains what they do.

Empressv

Empressv

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Jai Rodriguez! Haven't seen him since Queer Eye. Glad to see he's still acting. And that other hairdresser, Kevin, looked a lot like Bob Harper at first, except without the pulsing forehead vein.

Overall, not a bad ep. It held my interest.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:05 PM

As for the episode, I actually really liked it and am surprised as I did not expect much with a hairdresser plot. But there was just a tinge of cree.pee. with the light to balance things. (Scalping? Eeewww. Especially the guy keeping the trophy.)

Loved seeing Angela and Brennan at the spa like real women pals outside of the lab. Even had a chuckle when Bren said, "Forget the Egyptians".

But, most of all, I really did, for once, love the ending. Brennan/Booth acted like a real couple in love. And I'm so glad the show did not go the clichéd route of Brennan pissed at Booth about lingerie as a gift but instead seemed to like and appreciate it. Add in the bit with the ice cream and kissing up the stairs 'til Christine interrupted, and well...it felt natural to me.

And I'm no fangirl who wanted B/B all over each other, but even I noticed how...chaste?...they have been, so this was a nice change.

Mama No Life

Mama No Life

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:40 PM

I actually was interested in the case for the first time in a while.

But, most of all, I really did, for once, love the ending. Brennan/Booth acted like a real couple in love. And I'm so glad the show did not go the clichéd route of Brennan pissed at Booth about lingerie as a gift but instead seemed to like and appreciate it. Add in the bit with the ice cream and kissing up the stairs 'til Christine interrupted, and well...it felt natural to me.

And yes, a thousand times, yes. Based on the beginning scene with them, I was worried the lingerie would backfire on Booth. I'm glad they surprised me. It was nice to see them acting like they love each other.

jessied112

jessied112

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

Aww, that last scene was definitely cute. I actually LOVED how Brennan and Booth were kissing while walking up the stairs. And she actually liked the lingere? I figured when he gave it to her at the last scene, but it was still great. See, Booth? You don't have to be a jackass to Sweets. Most of the time, he actually knows what he's talking about, even if he can get annoying about it!

Oh, of course they had to insert a thirty second car commercial with Booth and Sweets. Of course. I was a little annoyed about that.

I've grown to like Arastoo so I kind of liked his little plotline, even if I cringed at the beginning at his enthusiasm. But still, who wouldn't get excited like that over their work getting published? Although he should have maintained a professional attitude and shouldn't have told anyone (because I still think they retracted his article BECAUSE he told everyone...). And the case was interesting. I thought for sure the three women at the beginning had done it so I was surprised at the hairdresser at the end. Although at first, I thought victim and partner were secret lovers.

Other than that, good episode. A lot of comedy, not enough drama, but a good episode.

WendyCR72

WendyCR72

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:42 AM

Saw on Twitter per Hart Hanson that
Spoiler

And more from TV Line about
Spoiler

I'm curious about this one!

Edited by WendyCR72, Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:02 AM.

WedgeOfSpite

WedgeOfSpite

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:26 AM

Jai! Oh, how I miss Queer Eye For The Straight Guy. Though a little more creepy this episode. And appropriately so.

I didn't just guess the killer, which is always fun. I liked Booth's unexpected, though explicable, hair knowledge.

All and all, in against all odds, I actually liked this one. Not a great episode, and agreed that the show needs to get back to more drama as cases with some comedy, not the other way around. But on the other hand and unlike previous episodes, I liked all the characters, so for a light episode, this is how it should be done. Cam was a good friend to Booth, good at her job, and a good boss to Arastoo. Hodgins was a good friend, a good husband to Angela, and good in the lab. Angela was a good friend (I really liked all the Brennan/Angela interactions), still has some good thoughts about using the (modified)Angelator. Sweets didn't give horrible advice to Booth that destroyed his love life, for once. And so on.

And Booth and Brennan were believable as a couple, and those last scenes with the ice cream (theme for the last show with shows, watching Castle afterwards) were kind of adorable and much better at the kissing stuff than before. Guess DB was over his cold by this point.

So yeah, the show still should have buried the back-from-hiatus episode they came back with a few weeks ago. Terrible programming decision and one that may kill them in the ratings again this week. But I have to say, I actually liked episode, I think the show is definitely (and finally) improving. To be clear though, I didn't love it and it's still far below previous seasons work. Relatively, it was a fine job.

Edited by WedgeOfSpite, Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:28 AM.