Bones

• Please log in to reply

18876 replies to this topic

bettymojo

bettymojo

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:07 PM

Wow. Sad to see the recaps go!

Anyways. I didn't watch Buffy or Angel, but I have to think that "Which one of you puny mortals wants to kill me first?" was a shoutout to DB's fans.

I thought this was the best episode of the series so far. I really like Jack, so I was glad to see his character fleshed out a little.

Bones needs to lighten up juuuuuust a tad, though. And not be so clinical! God.

nadiafox

nadiafox

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:18 PM

Bones finally made me cry. That was way better than any of the last episodes. It convinced me to stick around and keep watching.

Zach does continue to be a pain to watch, but Hodges and Angela make up for him. It was nice to see some non-sex talk drama going on in the lab. Their reactions to the case made them seem more human and less character.

I've done that rubber band thing, and all it did was make me madder. Hodges must be really stressed by his family money.

DB, however, continues to make my heart beat just a little bit faster. I wasn't a big Buffy fan and I didn't watch Angel often...but I like him as a FBI agent that shows off his scars.

PCF-- I actually really liked her dress, but I liked Angela's more.

Edited by nadiafox, Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:27 PM.

itsaflower

itsaflower

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:20 PM

Definitely the best episode to date and one with the potential to bring in new audience. I had an eerie feeling as I watched that just when they show a talk-worthy ep the show would get sent to PPH. Damn.

First episode that Bones was likeable! Her expression when she exclaimed that she knew who Colin Farrell is was friggin' hilarious.

They are finally fleshing out the characters and suddenly the quirks and mannerisms of most now make sense. Especially Angela and Jack.

Though most of the graphic shockers on this show are gross to the nth degree, nothing has made me cringe and look away like that itty bitty decomposing body laid out on the exam table. I abhor victimized children plots.

DB is worth the price of an hour out of my week. I was (am) a HUGE Buffy/Angel fan but the character Booth definitely showcases more of DB's talent.

Oh, and I thought it was interesting that Brennan's dress mirrored Booth's attire. Black and Lavendar look good on both of them. But I have a sneaking suspicion that anything would look good on David Boreanaz.

Edited by itsaflower, Nov 10, 2005 @ 12:35 AM.

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

The dress that Brennan was wearing at the end was FUGLY.

It was kinda cool how Booth is becoming "one of the gang" by backing up Hodges.

moonanstars

moonanstars

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:31 PM

Now that was a good episode. This shows improves each week. I loved that we finally got some background on the supporting characters. I actually didn't hate Jack for a change. Bones was quite likeable and she really looked beautiful in her party dress. I cracked up at Zack and his stupid tuxedo. Angela and Booth are still my favorites. The story was very sad but it kept me interested the whole time. Looking forward to the next episode.

Amanita

Amanita

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:37 PM

It was an excellent episode - everyone and everything in it was good.
If TWOP stops covering, I'll just go to the rest of Bones boards that get more and more membership. No skin of my nose.

karashi

karashi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:40 PM

This was definitely the best episode yet.

I've been sorta suffering through the show thus far - it's not very challenging, so it's tolerable enough when it's bad. But this one I actually enjoyed, even if ALL the character development, relationships and backgrounds were all crammed into a single episode.

It even had an actual real zinger line of dialogue at the end! (Maybe they borrowed it from the House writers?) "Apparently, she needed her job description read by a deep african voice."

Jack: got background on his conspiracy theories (his company "runs things"), personality (not wanting to go to the function, just wanting to be a lab tech), relationships (with Booth, Angela)

Booth: we got him bonding with both Jack (giving him make work to get out of the party) and Brennan (keeping her promises to the kid) and Angela (asking if she's the normal one)

Brennan: foster care yada yada, acting a bit human and bonding with Booth, helping Zack

Angela: being the normal one, job trauma, bonding with Booth, boss, Jack, Zack (over Jack)

Zack: job trauma, bonding with Brennan over it

SunrisSoul

SunrisSoul

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:51 PM

This was definitely the best episode yet. I don't know why they didn't show this one earlier in the season. I guess they wanted to work up to this, but you really got a sense of the background of the characters.

What's funny is the cop talking about how cops in Bones' book are one-dimensional because that's how I felt about all of the peripheral cast before this episode. They are finally more than just lackeys and have stories of their own.

I also really like the developping friendship between Booth and Bones. I like how they are learning about each other slowly.

I find it very amusing that Jack is rich. Although it makes sense now why he can be not at all attractive yet go after hot women like it's nothing.

ForgottenApril

ForgottenApril

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 10:13 PM

Did anyone else notice that in the beginning, when they find the boy's body in the grass, that Booth whips out his flashlight a tad overzealously? Maybe it was just me.

Overall, I liked the episode. We got to know more about Brennan, and Angela and Jack became more real.

Zack, I somehow find myself liking, though there's nothing really to him yet.

The dress at the end was okay, but I think it would have looked better less poofy and more shoulder-- Bones has a long neck. I think she would have looked a lot better with her hair down, too.

Again, Booth coming through with the hottness. He was the reason I watched in the beginning, but I'm starting to like everyone else. Mostly.

Okay, DB is my life.

methespy

methespy

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 10:14 PM

So my phone rang and I missed the whole Jack thing. What exactly was his bakcground and real reason for not wanting to go to the party thingy?

ForgottenApril

ForgottenApril

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 10:15 PM

Well, he's really rich, and his parents own some huge corporation that's the Jeffersonian's biggest monetary donator. He just wants to be a regular lab worker who wants to get dirty and not be treated special because he's from big money and essentially everyone's boss.

Correct me if I'm wrong or left anything out.

v120176

v120176

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 10:46 PM

I only watched part of tonight's episode, and seemed ok better than the past week one, but faaaar away from the realism of SVU and how the kid must be interviewed ......by the way, SVU cops doesn't have special training for this cases because they have nothing to do with their time. Why an atropologist was talking to him, foster care or not, I don't know.

Also, and knowing how SVU cops really works and how much worse their cases are than this, sorry but this episode seemed kinda "cheap" in the aproach of the theme. And a little irrespectfull, IMO, but that's probably because I know how they work very close and how they must act even if they're devastated by the case. So the fact that they used the "abused kid" to show the emotional background of the characters and that Bones is not a robot and put her foster-care experience as background for her behaviour (wasn't she 15 when her parents went missing?) is kinda tacky.
Still, I didn't watch it all (only the major part), but that was the best episode until now.

Again, great DB, Angela, Zach was meh, Jack's background totally typical and not original at all.... but Deschanel wasn't at the level of the rest, even here, sorry but she needs acting lessons. This was an episode that helped to show how good actress someone is and she wasn't at the level of the requirement. Like the past week one was to show her grace, this was more for the acting and she didn't move me at all.

Again, I know real SVU work, how many hours they work, how trained they are, how difficult for them are the cases, how they can't be or at least look affected too much for the case: if not the deffense atorney can have a party with them if they're too involved or affected at the trial. So, FOR ME, the use of this case, just to show the background of the characters, to the point that, IMO, the abusse and the case was not THAT important, shows a lack of respect and it's a low blow. But, again, that's probably because I know how that work is and how careful you have to do when you make a plot about that. L&O SVU is a good example of crude tramas and respect. I can't say the same about the approach Bones had on this episode. Sorry

tupelohoney

tupelohoney

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 10:58 PM

Overall, I really enjoyed this episode and Booth with the scar..yum.

chadley25

chadley25

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 11:31 PM

Great episode. The little crying kid was just brilliant... he totally sold that scene. When little kids pull acting off that well, it's just such a treat to watch.

Zack is kinda cute in a nonthreatening kind of way, but I'm anxious for his character to be more fully realized. I really don't care for Hodges/Hodgins much at all, but I think it's just a function of his hair and overall look. He reminds me of one of those obnoxious guys on that old series thirtysomething, I think.

I really liked the big boss guy and his interaction with Angela at the end. Then little frilly-tux shirt Zack saying, "Apparently, all she needed was to hear her job description in a deep African-American tone." What a little tool. I still can't believe the actor who plays him is 30. He honestly looks 18 or so.

Nice to see the overall quality of the show getting progressively better; it's a good direction in which to move. :)

TrixieFirecracker

TrixieFirecracker

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 12:15 AM

This was easily my favorite episode of the season (and I'm one of the few who's liked them all so far). I cared about the victim and the suspects, and I cried all throughout the resolution of the crime, and then again when Jonathan Adams was telling Angela her "job description." I loved the hug she gave him and his reaction, as well as Zach's "zinger".

I had a BSG S1 flashback when Booth walked in to see Bones all gussied up. Very Lee & Kara on Colonial Day, but with somewhat less repression...

ScoobyRose

ScoobyRose

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 12:16 AM

"Puny mortals"

Heh. soooo Angelus!

Pop Culture Freak

Pop Culture Freak

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 12:27 AM

Expanding on my previous comments, I also thought this was the best ep yet (of the 3 that I've watched). I liked getting more personal background on each of the characters. And more Booth-Brennan connection is good.

rcampuzano

rcampuzano

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 1:51 AM

This was my favorite episode so far. I am not quite ready to like Bones yet but for the second episode in a row she didn't grate. Booth and Angela remain my favorites but I'm warming up to the boss and the less-normal squints.

DB is still the reason I'm watching but the show's definately growing on me.

violet4120

violet4120

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 2:36 AM

Bones finally made me cry. That was way better than any of the last episodes. It convinced me to stick around and keep watching.

Agreed. I was watching the episodes before just because of David, but now I really mostly just like the show. Sure, sometimes the science and legality is off, but I like the characters for the most part, and the humor is really starting to take place and draw me in.

If Angela would've left, I think I would've stopped watching. I love her. I love that she was doubting herself at the Jeffersonian and that her own creation (the imaging of the knee crushing the ribs) nearly made her sick.

Zach's "job description" line was hilarious. He said it in such a monotone voice, too. Probably my favorite line in the ep.

I'm looking forward to Booth and Brennan getting together, if they do. I think the chemistry is there.

princesslisa

princesslisa

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 2:40 AM

At one point I turned to my husband and said "They need to solve some funnier murders." Apparently I have no soul. Anyway...

1) I liked seeing Bones' emotional side. Each week we get more background on a few of the characters (Jack too this week), and their idiosyncrasies make a bit more sense.

2) Booth was really cute with the kids and fixing the video game. No seriously. No, I know most of you think he is just ugly and unlikable...

3) I am sad to see the recaps and regular forums go, especially when we've had only four episodes (and a several-week hiatus) so far. I am just starting to convince my friends to watch!

DorianG

DorianG

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 2:51 AM

At one point I turned to my husband and said "They need to solve some funnier murders." Apparently I have no soul. Anyway..

As to your soul, no comment, but I totally agree with the funnier murders remark. This show is showing some life as a comedy, but they don't do serious well, at all.

AshBlue

AshBlue

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 4:29 AM

This show is growing on me. It makes little sense in some ways, but something about it has made me watch it each week.

I liked Angela better this episode. Much more enjoyable without unfunny crap like flashing, stalking, etc. DB's character is great. He must really be enjoying this role, he does a great job with it.

Some funnier murders, indeed. I agree. (What a dark bunch some of us are! ;) )

I had a BSG S1 flashback when Booth walked in to see Bones all gussied up. Very Lee & Kara on Colonial Day, but with somewhat less repression

Now if only they'd just punch each other...

SleepDeprived

SleepDeprived

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 4:57 AM

Slowly, this show is getting its footing. It's improving episode by episode. I agree with everyone who think this episode is the best one yet. We got character development! Knowing a little bit about Hodgin's life makes him less annoying to me. I actually find him rather interesting now. Ouch on the rubber band, though. And Angela's dilemma was pretty well-done, too. I felt for her when she was watching her visual creation "kill" that kid over and over. Best zinger of the night went to Zach. The monotone delivery was hilarious. Also, I liked the mentor-student thing between him and Brennan all throughout the ep.

And, finally, Brennan opens up just a tad bit. I can better understand her detachment to the victims and her intent focus on just the details. Also, her "I don't know what that means" totally didn't bug. She did know a something this time (the Star Wars reference). But I laughed at her expression when she said she knew who Colin Farrell was, only to find out she got the wrong person (Will Ferrell!). She looked pretty in her dress in the final scene.

Booth? Well, nothing need be said about that guy. Because DB still totally brings the hotness. I do adore the Brennan-Booth relationship. The banter, the interactions are quite interesting. Chemistry... They work well together, said I.

Crying-kid was good! I love it when young actors hit their mark so marvelously.

Agreed on having some funnier murders (yeah, I'm joining the dark bandwagon).

Edited by SleepDeprived, Nov 9, 2005 @ 4:59 AM.

KernelM

KernelM

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 5:42 AM

I liked the ep overall, but please, for the love of Gauss... leave the butchering of mathematics to Numbers please? One-dimensionality is no more theoretical than two-dimensionality.

darkguardian

darkguardian

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 8:33 AM

This was the only episode of the show thus far that moved me to post anything about it. This was the first episode where I really felt the Hart Hanson influence heavily. The guy has a real gift for drama but thus far this show has been pretty flat dramatically, its mostly been amusing entertainment. Tonight really made me love Angela, I loved her already but its definite now. The whole group really did a nice job this episode. and really it was pretty good by any standards I thought. The first real quality episode of the show IMO. My friend noted that Deschanel only looks good when she has a decent amount of makeup on, while Angela always looks good. I can't disagree with that statement.

Zack continues to annoy me slightly as a stereotype but I'm warming up to him more, this week he was tolerable. I'm meh on the rich guy.

I Love Me

I Love Me

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 8:52 AM

I've been telling people since Angel that I am going to marry DB (nevermind his already exsisting wife and child) and this episode only served to remind me why. Great job to the writing staff and the actors on this one. Everyone did a great job. Bones' dress at the end was fug and it made her ankles look huge, like cankles. However, her make-up, hair and face looked fab.

I can't believe they're moving this to PH. That sucks.

Aileithyia

Aileithyia

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 9:08 AM

Okay, I have a confession to make. This show has been such UTTER fluff up to now. I mean, even the guy eaten by bears ep didn't phase me or upset me or even gross me out after five years of watching them pour bodies out of fifty gallon drums on CSI. So I was sad about the case, but it wasn't worse than, say, No Humans Involved on CSI. In fact it didn't even come close. So when Brennan went in there to talk to the kid, I was totally unprepared for the emotional gut punch of it. I cried. *hangs head in shame* I really did. At BONES. Stupid Brennan and really good kid actor totally nailed me out of left field and I cried my eyes out.

Yes, I am a total tool.

thestim

thestim

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 9:47 AM

First episode I've seen of the show (now that it's moved to PH, great...), and I came in partway through, but I definitely enjoyed.

And their choice of music in the last scenes has me wanting to watch again if it's always that good. In this case it was "Some of Us" by Starsailor, from their "Silence Is Easy" CD. One of my all-time favorite albums, and I thought it set the mood quite nicely.

2brich

2brich

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 10:43 AM

Finally Brennan gets a heart??? She had to dig deep into her soul to allow herself to open up to solve that case. They will make her a lady yet dont you think. Wonderfully done. The kid made me cry. Did you see her reaction to a child hug? Maybe more hugs and less bones makes for a great lab? who knows. Great Episode. I can see many things unfold in this show.

LMS

LMS

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 11:34 AM

Very nice. Brennan's finally likable and showing genuine chemistry with Booth, the squints are being fleshed out and are now actually somewhat interesting, Booth and Dr. Goodman continue to rock the Kasbah...and now it's in PH. I hope that we get a last recap, I'd be eternally greatful. I agree that music was very good.