Best And Worst TV Homes: Mansion, Apartment, Shack, House

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

321 replies to this topic

Smilla

Smilla

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 9:21 PM

Buffy always lived in a very pretty house, and it was, if I remember from the commentary for "What's My Line" correctly, the "set" house was set up to be exactly like the house in real life

It was Xander and Anya's apartment I adored. Desperately. Sleek, modern, well-designed, excellent use of space.

Other homes I've loved included Maxine & Amy Grey's house, Paul and Jamie Buchman's apartment, and the Montana mansion of the V.P. on Prison Break. God, that thing was gorgeous. Fab and flawless inside, gloomy outside. I want it!

Edited by Smilla, Nov 6, 2005 @ 9:23 PM.

ForeverWild

ForeverWild

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 10:14 PM

For people who work around the place in lieu of rent, Jed and Abby's place isn't bad, but I hear the responsibilities are quite heavy.

ollie scoot

ollie scoot

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 10:50 PM

To my mind the worst example of this was in The Waltons. A spacious house with electricity, running water and indoor plumbing owned by a poor mountain family in the midst of the Depression? I don't think so.

Word! I should have posted that on stuff you called out as a kid. I asked my dad how they were poor with a two story house, a family lumber business and being able to send their kids to college. Plus they supported the grandparents and always had these Thanksgiving style meals. Seemed to be doing a lot better than we were. My dad just said, "You could be poor and have a big house because it was in the country." Thanks Dad.

I also called out Jeanie's bottle as a kid. When Maj. Nelson got in it with her I thought, 'The couch is not big enough, the floor is too cramped. How they gonna do it?'

I liked Mary's house on MTM, the apartment building on I Love Lucy and the Cunningham house with garage apartment. They all let the main charactors live near each other so it didn't seem strange that they were in each other's homes all the time. Loved the episode where Joey/Chandler switched apartments with Monica/Rachel.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 10:56 PM

The Luthor mansion/castle is pretty awesome. But whenever I see huge homes like that I inevitably start to think about how chilly it would be in there. I don't like being cold. Also from Smallville: The Kent home. It always looks so warm and cozy in there. And MamaKent is always baking.

I always liked the Walsh home from 90210. Oh, and Angel's crib from BtVS was really cool. Sort of dilapidated but in a really beautiful way.

lulu519

lulu519

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 10:57 PM

I always loved Monica's apartment on Friends. Tons of space, wonderfully decorated, awesome balcony, open kitchen (and I always loved the kitchen cabinets that didn't have any doors), a huge bathroom and a huge living room. What else can you ask for in a NYC apartment? Highly unrealistic, but still a great apartment.

I always liked the Keatons' house on Family Ties. It was very typical of an average American family and I always felt a sense of warmth whenever I watched scenes that were filmed in their house.

The Cohens' house on The O.C. is ridiculous. My favorite part is how Sandy and Kirsten's room connects to the backyard, so they have a great view of the pool and the ocean from their room. I also love their dining room/kitchen color scheme and decorations.

kfree9

kfree9

Fanatic

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

I liked the Thatcher's house on Life Goes On. It was such a typical white picket fence house!
I liked Sydney and Francie's apartment the first couple seasons of Alias, but I wasn't a huge fan of Sydney's apartment afterwards. It was so dark!

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

Jerry's apartment of Seinfeld is one of my favorites. It was spacious enough, but not so lavish that it stretched credibility that he could afford it. Although the hideous studio from the pilot dampens that somewhat. The skylight was cool, but not enough for me to want to live there.

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 11:30 PM

The Luthor mansion/castle is pretty awesome.

Apparently that mansion is Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. Well, in the second X-Men movie, at least.
Moving back on topic, it always puzzled me that Buffy and Joyce Summers had a big two-story house for only two people. I know Sunnydale real estate would probably be cheap, but even so.

MittenGirl

MittenGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:09 AM

Back when I was a kid growing up in the 'burbs, I was in love with Uncle Bill's apartment on Family Affair. I mean an elevator, a doorman, that huge balcony, and, for some reason, the double entry door, were just magical to my young mind. I think it was just because it was so different from my life and seemed so exotic/glamorous to me.

The Walton house didn't seem that out of character to me. I mean the house had been in the family for years, and the land for generations. Since they were in the lumber business they had access to the building material, and it probably was built and expanded over the years. It wasn't that big, only four bedrooms upstairs, and the grandparent's room seemed like an addition. As far as supporting the grandparents, grandpa worked in the mill and grandma tended the garden and did housework; I would say they earned their keep. The thing that seemed weird to me was that the only bathroom was upstairs, that makes no sense at all. All in all, the house looked very much like the ones my farmer ancestors built back in the early 1900's - 1920's. I have been lucky enough to have been in two of those homes and the feeling of knowing that my ancestors built them with their own blood, sweat, and sacrifice is indescribable.

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:14 AM

The house itself didn't bother me, but it was awfully plushly furnished. And there's no way a poor mountain family in Virginia would have had electricity then. I mean, rich mountain families in Virginia didn't have electricity. It took the TVA to bring electricity to the rural south, and Virginia wasn't part of the TVA plan in the 30s. My mother used to visit her school-teacher aunt and extension-agent uncle in western Kentucky in the late 40s, and they still didn't have electricity.

Putli Bai

Putli Bai

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:16 AM

Tons of space, wonderfully decorated, awesome balcony, open kitchen (and I always loved the kitchen cabinets that didn't have any doors), a huge bathroom and a huge living room. What else can you ask for in a NYC apartment?

I used to covet those open cabinets to, until I realized the dusting that would be involved. I'm not a Monica -- I have a hard enough time keeping the dog hair out of the cupboards with doors on them.

Putli Bai

Putli Bai

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:17 AM

I'm with you. I don't know what was worse -- Susan's cry face, or Bree macking on George. This show is starting to hurt my eyes and my brain.

hlmac17

hlmac17

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:32 AM

I like the house that Toby bought for Andi, Huck and Molly. It would have been nice to see what the house would look like furnished. I still wonder if Toby is living in it.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 2:41 AM

And there's no way a poor mountain family in Virginia would have had electricity then. I mean, rich mountain families in Virginia didn't have electricity. It took the TVA to bring electricity to the rural south, and Virginia wasn't part of the TVA plan in the 30s.

My grandfather actually went to the school that John-boy's college was based on at about the same time. Then he got his first parish and moved out to the country and had two kids. My father moved to Hopewell (a small city) in 1946 and had indoor plumbing and electricity for the first time.

On the other hand, the big meals were perfectly plausible if you had land and grew your own. I just want to know why Olivia's hands were never bloody from killing the chicken for the pot.

I too covet the Eppes house from Numb3rs.

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 3:10 AM

I loved the Buchman's apartment on Mad About You. It just seemed very cozy and I actually liked the layout too. Also loved Syd and Francie's apartment from the first two seasons, and Syd's present apartment, although a bit less so.

Housing I hated? Angel's penthouse in the final season. I think it was the style that I didn't like, the headboard behind his bed most of all. The styling was exactly the same as his office downstairs. It seemed like Japanese-influenced California minimalism (I think that's what the set designer called it) and it really wasn't my cup of tea.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 6:00 AM

Housing I hated? Angel's penthouse in the final season. I think it was the style that I didn't like, the headboard behind his bed most of all. The styling was exactly the same as his office downstairs. It seemed like Japanese-influenced California minimalism (I think that's what the set designer called it) and it really wasn't my cup of tea.

I didn't like that penthouse either, but I did like Angel's original LA apartment, with the elevator going down into it, and I liked the Hyperion, with the big lobby with the circular sofa in the middle and the doors leading out to the courtyard. I liked Cordelia's apartment too, but that was partly because of Phantom Dennis!

I echo the love of Giles' house in BtVS - it really kind of suited him.

In sitcoms I liked that the house in Roseanne actually looked like a real working-class home, and I have a soft spot for Eddie and Saffy's house in Ab Fab, despite Eddie's constant redecoration! I especially love the hallway with the gallery upstairs.

No Touching

No Touching

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 6:23 AM

I've always wanted the Full House home, minus the Tanners and Joey living in it with me. That place was huge and illogical (exactly how did the living room stairs and the kitchen stairs lead to the same place?), but I'd kill for a living room with that alcove and a basement and attic that nice.

Phenobarbara

Phenobarbara

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 10:48 AM

I loved Syd and Francie's apartment on Season 1 and 2 of Alias. The one Syd moved into in Season 3 was ugly and just sad. (maybe they did that to reflect the season's mood)

I also loved Monica's apartment on Friends. Bright, colorful, and huge.

phxchic

phxchic

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 10:59 AM

Add me to the Craftsman worship for the Eppes house!

I grew up in the country, so I liked seeing the city houses and apartments on TV. I had decided that when I grew up and became a single working woman, I wanted Hannah's studio from Anything But Love. Split level, hardwood floors, huge windows--it was just dreamy!

D.C.

D.C.

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 11:30 AM

Both the Connor's and Drew Carey's houses looked totally foreign to me, even in the establishing shots. I think that's just because midwestern vernacular architecture is totally different from southern vernacular architecture. There are a lot of reasons for this--for instance, houses in the south are designed to let heat out while houses in the north are designed to keep heat in--but that's probably I could never figure out the layouts of either of these houses. I could never see how they sat on their lots, or what room connected to what other rooms.

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 11:40 AM

As a kid I just loved the house on Please Don't Eat the Daisies (yes, I'm ancient) because it was so big they would occasionally find a room they didn't know they had. I loved that concept.

My favorite thing about the house was the little balcony that jutted out into the living room, I still crack up thinking about the scene where the kids look up and there's tons of soap bubbles pouring down the stairs and over the balcony b/c the twins put too much shampoo in the tub for Lad's bath.

Add me to the Craftsman worship for the Eppes house!

Any more room in there? Man, I love that house (and I'll leave Charlie for you, Knee High Boots, as long as I can have Don.)

Oooh, VersesBatman you just reminded that although I liked the Ponderosa well enough, I luuuuuurved the Barkley Ranch on The Big Valley.

Edited by screamapiller, Nov 7, 2005 @ 11:59 AM.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 11:46 AM

I love the Pondarosa in Bonanza. If I were to own a house in the country it would look just like it. It was spacious. The woodwork was beautiful and it was polished.

only1kcm

only1kcm

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 12:52 PM

Back when I was a kid growing up in the 'burbs, I was in love with Uncle Bill's apartment on Family Affair. I mean an elevator, a doorman, that huge balcony, and, for some reason, the double entry door, were just magical to my young mind.

Thanks for the reminder, MittenGirl! When I was younger, I was not fond of that place at all. But, as I've gotten older, I've grown to appreciate mid-century design more. And, watching it now is like watching a time capsule of New York (before the rot of the '70s set in).

Other homes that have made an impression:

Love the realism of the house on "Medium." Definitely a house that reflects the way most families live.

And VersesBatman, don't forget the house on "Big Valley!" If I had to live in the 19th Century Old West, that would definitely be the place.

Myself, I love high Victorian architecture and decorating, so the upper-class San Francisco interiors on "The Adventures of Brisco County Jr." were always favorites!

ETA: Jinx, screamapillar! Great minds, after all... :-)

Edited by only1kcm, Nov 7, 2005 @ 12:53 PM.

Vani820

Vani820

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 12:54 PM

I liked the Brady Bunch house. Cool layout. Or should I say Groovy?

Svenska Flicka

Svenska Flicka

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:00 PM

Great idea for a thread!

I think that many of the homes mentioned here 'fit' for the show/type of family/people they were representing. I just didn't care for them! I mean, they weren't the types of homes that I envy & want to have for myself.

The few exceptions mentioned are:
-Mary Tyler Moore's place.
-Frasier's place.
-Monica's place.

I lurrrrrrrve those open floor plan apartments.
The other places were 'appropriate', but not stand-out.

indigo4

indigo4

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:56 PM

I love the Pondarosa in Bonanza.

I've always loved the Ponderosa house. It was rustic but elegant. The layout was nice, though I always imagined another room or rooms behind that velvet curtain on the wall between the living room and dining room. I liked that huge fireplace with the big coffee table and leather sofa, Ben's desk, the staircase with the Indian blanket, the grandfather clock, and the pale blue and gold wallpaper. The only thing it was short of was landscaping, though it was only a few yards to the entire Nevada territory, which the Cartrights seemed to own. On this subject, I will add that in the Television Sets book of blueprints (which, yes, I own), the area surrounding the Barkeley house has a few outbuildings and the rest bears the label "acres and acres of lush land," which always makes me smile.

Decormaven

Decormaven

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 2:21 PM

In general, I think the H/Z shows did a great job of having houses/apartments that matched the characters' lifestyles and personalities.

Absolutely. Every set in those shows was true to the characters. Ditto for Roseanne.

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 3:20 PM

I like the homes on The Sopranos in that they're realistic to middle- and working- class NJ neighborhoods. They show that none of these guys are getting rich from the mob like back during Prohibition, or at least they're not flaunting their wealth. Many times in tv and the movies you have to wonder why the gov't didn't audit the mobster/ drug kingpin with the huge mansions and limos years ago.
The older people's houses especially have that "old-person" decor that hasn't beeen updated since the 70s.
Christopher (and the late Ade) had the right amount of showy working-class materialism-they had an average apartment but flaunted expensive cars, jewelry, clothing, etc.

I love Atia's villa on Rome.

miak2

miak2

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 3:48 PM

How could I forget the house from NUMB3RS? Oh, I know why. Everytime I think of that show, I think of Judd Hirsch's face, and then ... yeeech!

As for bad homes, anybody remember Remington Steele? Laura Holt started out with a ranch-y type house, which was kind of strange and boring for a young woman. It even had a baby grand piano with a crocheted shawl thingy thrown on top. When that house got blown up (yay!) she moved into some bizarre, fake-ass, ugly apartment that looked off even to the little girl that I was.

Namaste

Namaste

Fanatic

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 3:51 PM

I loved Laura Holt's second place on "Remington Steele." A converted industrial loft with such high ceilings and enough space that there was room in one episode for Laura and "Mr. Steele" to learn a trapeze act.