The Puzzle Place

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7 replies to this topic

OldMizzentop

OldMizzentop

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 4, 2005 @ 11:21 PM

From the plot summary at IMDB:

A group of kids (puppets) from diverse backgrounds and cultures come together at "The Puzzle Place" to hang-out, tell stories, sing songs and hold celebrations. Along the way they learn important Life Lessons about getting along, communicating, and how to be a friend. There is usually also a sub-plot centering around the club's sibling-like dog and cat, Nuzzle and Sizzle.

Back when I was a late-elementary schooler and off from school, I'd often watch this show. I was probably a touch older than the intended audience and I found some of the characters and storylines annoying, but as far as TV viewing went, I didn't have too many choices then.

I'm hazy on the details of the episodes; I just remember one where Kiki entered a chili contest, another where Julie brought in moon cakes for Chinese New Year, and one where Leon hid under a desk because of his fear of thunderstorms. They had a greenhouse and a TV where they watched videos and had conversations with people. Also, the dog and cat were always getting up to mischief in the basement.

Shell76

Shell76

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 12:49 AM

This was one of those 90's shows, along with Barney and Lamb Chop, that I watched "by proxy", since my younger brothers watched them all the time. But I thought Puzzle Place was a pretty neat show. I liked Kiki and Skye the best of the kids, and disliked Julie and Leon the most. I remember an episode where Leon gets this cool watch and shows it off to the rest of the kids, making them feel bad. Jody was the kid that seemed to get the worst treatment as a character. i remember her having problems with a bully, fighting with Julie because she couldn't eat some type of bread (something to do with Passover), and feeling ignored by her dad. And I loved the dog, Nuzzle, I think it was. The cat was annoying as hell, though. I wonder what happened to this show, it's been off PBS for awhile now.

OldMizzentop

OldMizzentop

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 1:10 AM

I liked Kiki and Skye the best of the kids, and disliked Julie and Leon the most.

Julie and Leon were damned irritating, and in fact, they're the "annoying characters" I was talking about. Kiki and Skye were the best of the bunch.

Edited by OldMizzentop, Nov 5, 2005 @ 1:24 AM.

SaveTGreyhounds

SaveTGreyhounds

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 2:40 PM

I was always pretty neutral to Kiki, but I always felt bad for Ben. He was overlooked half the time, and he was so stupid that it almost didn't matter that he meant well. I know he's supposed to be the stand-in for all the white males who are having their horizons broadened, but he's been friends with these other kids *how* long? The writers could have given him a *little* credit.

Edited because typos are bad

Edited by SaveTGreyhounds, Nov 5, 2005 @ 2:41 PM.

Draco Pendragon

Draco Pendragon

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 7:23 PM

I think Skye was my favorite.

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 8:57 PM

I don't remember this show too much, but I do have some fond memories of it. I think I liked Sizzle and Nuzzle a lot, because I was all about the animal puppets back then.

simplyperson

simplyperson

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 10:12 PM

This show came on at like 5:30/6:00 am. I watched it before getting up to go to school. High School. It was either The puzzle place or the guy who sold coins & knives on one of the other channels. It's oddly soothing when you're really tired.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Nov 6, 2005 @ 1:41 AM

I was in middle school when this show came out (in fact, a friend of mine was in one of the "live action" cutaway shots they did, randomly.) It was really sweet. I don't remember it too well, but I did enjoy it.