Myths, Legends, and Folklore: The Stories Behind the Stories

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

438 replies to this topic

witchofnovember

witchofnovember

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 10:14 AM

The boys are modern gunslingers, fighting the darkness and saving America from the monster in the closet.

This thread is to discuss the myths, legends, demons and evils the boys face on the road.

Myths covered so far include:

Bloody Mary

A Wendigo

A play on the legends about Eastern Flight 401 (Phantom Traveler)

Hook Man

Do you believe?

Edited by witchofnovember, Nov 3, 2005 @ 10:27 AM.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 10:35 AM

Do you believe?

I try not to, because it would totally freak me out. I've had some "supernatural" experiences, but I like to believe their are logical explanations for all of them, and leave it at that. And, yet, I like horror movies and urban legends and such.

Yes, I'm a contradiction.

lusus naturae

lusus naturae

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 10:39 AM

I've had some "supernatural" experiences, but I like to believe their are logical explanations for all of them, and leave it at that. And, yet, I like horror movies and urban legends and such.

Oh, that's exactly how I am. I love horror movies and urban legends, and have seen/read far too many of them, so I assume that's why Supernatural has never scared me when it freaks some people out. I've had some weird things happen, but nothing big enough for me to completely believe in the supernatural.
I'll believe in it when the Brothers Dean save me from it, I'll put it that way. ;)

witchofnovember

witchofnovember

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 10:42 AM

I'm a believer in true supernatural experiences, but then again, it's part of my belief system. Not that I believe in the "urban legendness" of much of this, but it all has a drop of truth in it somewhere.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 10:46 AM

I've had some weird things happen, but nothing big enough for me to completely believe in the supernatural.

Well, I've had some pretty big, freaky stuff happen to and around me. Dean and Sam woulda had their hands full. But, somehow, I've managed to be completely "Scully" about it, and convince myself there had to be a logical, non-supernatural reason for it all.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:13 AM

Wendigos and Hookmen, I don't believe it. But ghostly spirits? They freak me out just a little.

Edited by TiffanyNichelle, Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:14 AM.

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:19 AM

Do I believe? To steal a phrase from another show that focuses on the supernatural, I want to believe. I love ghost stories, I do believe in an afterlife of some kind, and I like to keep an open mind. Still, I don't think I'll actually truly believe there are such things as ghosts until I actually come across something that's definitely ghostly.

On the subject of urban legends... I know it's a "recent" one, and doesn't have the pedigree of Bloody Mary or La Llorona, but an AIDS Mary episode could be interesting. Maybe the ghost of a rape victim who infests people she touches with a version of AIDS that kills in six hours.

Rant

Rant

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:26 AM

I'm sure JP is familiar with this, seeing as he's from San Antonio, but just outside the city limits there's a ghost story having to do with an empty set of train tracks. The story goes that a bus load of school kids was once hit by a passing train and their spirits remained, pushing any car off the tracks if they happen to get stuck.

Don't believe me? My sister experienced it. She was with several friends and the driver stopped directly on the tracks, put it in neutral and pulled her legs up onto the seat. After a few minutes, the car was pushed completely clear of the tracks.

Do I believe in Supernatural stuff? Yeah, there are spirits and demons out there, definitely - and they freak me out.

beylix

beylix

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 12:05 PM

I believe in the supernatural. I love horror movies, urban legends and mythology.

But a teeny, tiny part of me always tries to put some logic in it.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:21 PM

I had a few freaky experiences with something. Ghost or spirit? I don't know, but it definitely made me into a believer.

Rant, I used to live in TX (Ft. Worth area) and I always wanted to go to SA just for the train track ghost. I had heard of people who would put flour on the trunk and supposedly, you could see the handprints of the ghosts pushing the car.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:36 PM

Don't forget

La Llorona and theDoppelgaenger

Now, do I believe in any of these myths? Well, serial killers do exist. And "windigo fever" is a type of delusional state that is quite well documented among the Cree of northern Canada. There are also people who believe that they are non-human.

ronnie889

ronnie889

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 3:18 PM

Hmm I was definitley told numerous times about Bloody Mary and the Hookman from my lovely older brothers. Even years later, I don't want to even take a chance in saying Bloody Mary in the mirror, I don't think I believe, I've just been scared so much I'm shall we say cautious

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 3:42 PM

What Urban legends would you like to see on the show?

What stories do you hope they'll never have?

By me, I'd love to see a version of "The Choking Doberman" and never, ever ever want to see "The Mexican Pet."

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 3:51 PM

Yeah, I think I believe. Nothing has ever happened to me personally but my co-worker tells me stuff that happens at her house all the time. Once while she was bathing one of her dogs in one of the spare bathtubs she happen to glance up and saw the facet being turned and the shower spout pulled up...her and the dog got drenched. Another time her son called here freaking out that the washing machine started up on its own while he was near it. She's had a ghost kitty for awhile now. She sees it run past her during the day and then one night knows she woke up out of a dead sleep and there it was on the bed next to her. She said it stayed there purring until she "pet" it. (And her hand went through the image...that? CREEPED ME THE FUCK OUT!). The last thing was fairly recent. She said she was alone watching Lost and there was a walkman on the back of a bench on the other side of the room. All of a sudden the walkman goes flying across the room and lands in front of her. **shudders** Freaks me out but she just shrugs and gives me an "eh, whatever". Eeeee!

Not sure if this would be the right thread or not, but does anyone ever get deja vu? I mean a lot? I ALWAYS get it in the same exact spot (at an intersection near where I grew up) and it's always the same feeling...and I experience it every single time I get stopped at that light. Wonder what all that means?

ronnie889

ronnie889

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 3:57 PM

Hmm I've heard a couple that I think are insanely creepy and would be cool to see:

There was this one I was told a long time ago about this babysitter who kept getting told about this clown statue by the kids she was babysitting and how it would move and everything, and she would check it and it would be standing straight up. When she went downstairs it was there and she calls and asks the parents about the statue and they say they don't have one, so she calls the police and it turns out it's a person from a mental institution who was of the pyschotic(sp?) murdering type.

* A young lady is alone in her apartment. She goes to bed with her dog on the floor beside her. In the middle of the night, she is woken up by a strange sound. She is alarmed, but reaches down to the dog, who licks her hand. She is reassured and goes back to sleep.

In the morning, she finds the dog hung in the shower. Where the dog slept, she picks up a note which reads "Humans can lick too."

*The dead, hitch-hiking girl. I guess known as the "Lady In White"

* The Choking Doberman would be AWESOME as well.

* I guess a version of the one where the lady is being followed by the 18 wheeler and it turns out someone is behind her ready to stab her..

Edited by ronnie889, Nov 3, 2005 @ 3:57 PM.

ktr675

ktr675

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:08 PM

Well since we have a whole seperate thread . . . I am a believer in ghosts and spirits. Not so much with the urban legends. My MIL grew up in haunted house and she swears that there was an evil ghost that lived in the linen closet there. She said she used to go to bed at night and would wake up locked in the closet, when she fell asleep and woke up again she would be back in her room. And this thing tried to drown her younger sister in the bathtub. They all knew it was there and they never talked about it until they were older and they all knew where this thing came from. So yeah, I believe her. The best part of this story is that the house is now up for sale and my MIL wants to go to an open house to see if any of the other residents ever knocked that damn linen closet out. She told me that someone could give her that house and she wouldn't ever take it. She is seriously traumatized by that ghost.

They currently have a friendly ghost in the house they live in now and they all believe that it is her father. We joke around about it a lot, but things do disappear in one room in particular. I smoke, and have had my cigarettes disappear from said room many, many times. We joke that he must like me and want me to stick around because he seems obsessed with my giving up on the cigarettes.

witchofnovember

witchofnovember

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:08 PM

I recently said this to a friend of mine who has come to the realization that she does have certain heightened abilities and is coming to grips with it...

There is a belief (and I am one of the believers) that when we are children, the veil between the two worlds is thin. Children are constantly talking to "imaginary" friends, "seeing" things their parents believe are just imaginings, etc.

As we grow older, society puts filters on us as to what is "normal", "acceptable", "logical". These filters begin to dampen our abilities - we grow out of them, so to speak, because we are told to... But some people don't and they are the ones who have the empathic skills, the psychic skills, the reading skills.

At least that is my belief.

Giggling Kat

Giggling Kat

Fanatic

• Interests:Sci Fi and Horror.

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:15 PM

Don't know if we're drawing the line between spiritual and supernatural but both my grandfathers woke me up to say "goodbye" when they passed away.

The first one scared my father because I was screaming and crying as the phone rang from my mom calling to break the news.

I don't think of it as ghostly.

witchofnovember

witchofnovember

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:18 PM

It has been discovered that the new forum was greenlighted last night.

Yesterday was November 2, 2005.

What was the date upon which both MamaDean and Jess were killed?

That's right.

*giggles maniacally*

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:19 PM

Oooh, Glark probably did that to just mind fuck us!

Good one, Glark.

**shudders** It is kind of creepy, huh?

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:26 PM

Hello everybody! Isn't it great that SN is getting recapped? And the decision is made on November 2, 2005. Coincidence, I think not.

On another note, I can't say that I believe in "ghosts, demons and bumps in the night." I have had feelings of deja vu. In college, I was a little sister in a fraternity, and that fraternity had their house excorcised. It was slightly before my time there, but a friend of mine, a religion major, seemed pretty convinced.

I've always been fascinated with mythology and urban legends, so I'm loving this show.

Hi, witchy, faninohio, and Giggling Kat. Now I have to explore all the other threads, except for spoilers. Now it will be so much easier for me to resist temptation.

lusus naturae

lusus naturae

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:27 PM

I'm just going to share a few of the weird little things that have happened to me. They're not very exciting. Weird things used to happen in the kitchen of my old house - which was were the previous owner died. We'd drop something on the floor, look for it and never find it... one time something on the table started moving by itself, and I was the only one there. I'm not sure how I explained that one to myself, which is what I tend to do when things like that happen. Once a radio we had in the bathroom started blasting Christmas music (not around Christmas) when it wasn't plugged in and had no batteries in it, which REALLY freaked me out. I was also pushed out of the way of a car once, by what I don't know.

Edited by lusus naturae, Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:28 PM.

laivine

laivine

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:50 PM

I've mentioned this way back in the original thread, but I'd love to see a Ouija board episode. The Oujia is all about the mythos surrounding it, the stories and I think it'd be perfect.

A possible UL to build on:
"The sleepy town of El Cerrito, California made the national news on March 7, 1920 with the headlines, WHOLE TOWN 'OUIJA MAD'. Horrified police arrested seven people 'driven insane' after using a Ouija board. One girl, only fifteen and found naked explained it was because she could 'communicate better with the spirits.' In the following days, the madness spread to others in the town including one police officer who ripped off his clothes and ran hysterically into a local bank. Officials quickly held a town hall meeting and decided to bring in mental health professionals to examine the entire population of 1200. To prevent any future outbreak of 'ouijamania,' they made the rational decision to ban Ouija boards from the city limits." From The Museum of Talking Boards

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 5:03 PM

I mentioned this weeks ago but I wonder if they'll ever talk about Chupacabras. Like CuteDean is insistent that they exist and HotDean is a, pshaw, there's no such thing.

I should write that as a fanfic.

Brunette

Brunette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 5:07 PM

I mentioned this on the old thread, and no one remembered it, but I'm hoping now that we have our own board, someone will recognize it. Does anyone know about the legend "Rose Red" or something like that? It's like Bloody Mary, but not really. You're supposed to stand in the dark, turn around three times, and say some chant (can't for the life of me remember it because I was told this legend when I was like six or seven). Then you go to sleep, and the next morning there should be either a white rose or a red rose lying by your bed. Each rose did something different. I think the red one meant terrible death while the white one meant she liked you. Sound familiar to anyone? I can't find it mentioned anywhere on the Internet. I'm beginning to feel crazy.

Demian

Demian

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 5:11 PM

I think they need to meet the Dread Bunyip.

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 5:20 PM

I said this in the Ghosts topic, but this seems like a more appropriate arena for it. AIDS Mary, although "recent", would probably be an interesting one.

Another good one (though probably too evocative of that Homicide episode) would be the "split man" legend. A man suffers some grevious injury from a machine (in some versions, he's caught in a rockcrusher; in others, he's almost bisected by a subway car). Removing him is impossible, and even if it could be done, he'd probably bleed out. So a priest is called to administer the last rights, and the man's girlfriend is called to give him one last kiss... and then the machinery is turned back on.

Aunty Mib

Aunty Mib

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 6:27 PM

Just in case people are wondering. This is a Bunyip

I have had a version of the two roses story. The White rose means you marry within the year the red rose means you die within the year.

One Appalacian legend I think could work is the legend of "The House that eats people". A giant man-eating shapeshifter would take the form of a shelter (tent/cottage) but anyone who enters is digested. Some versions it is stuck in one place but in others (like Baba Yaga's house on chicken legs) it moves in the night.

errs

errs

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 6:42 PM

One Appalacian legend I think could work is the legend of "The House that eats people". A giant man-eating shapeshifter would take the form of a shelter (tent/cottage) but anyone who enters is digested. Some versions it is stuck in one place but in others (like Baba Yaga's house on chicken legs) it moves in the night.

Aunty Mib

There's also some lore surrounding a house that "keeps" people because it is a portal to the fairy/elve/little people dimension.

Does anybody know about (it could be a region thing) the story of the guy who fell into the vat of acid/toxic waste/chemicals and was horribly disfigured and then crept around the woods and killed people? (Sort of like the Hook Man) It was very popular at camp when I was a tween.

CletusMusashi

CletusMusashi

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 6:47 PM

I'd love to see the Mexican pet!
They could even combine it with another urban legend by killing it in a microwave.