Ratings and Scheduling Issues: I Can't Do This Alone

• Please log in to reply

10280 replies to this topic

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

Heck, I don't think even the SPN cast and crew will watch their show tomorrow.

Do they usually watch it? I really doubt JA and JP and the writers ever actually watch the finished products on Fridays.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Do they usually watch it? I really doubt JA and JP and the writers ever actually watch the finished products on Fridays.

Can you blame them? Quite a few fans don't watch anymore, and for good reason.

Raynell

Raynell

Channel Surfer

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:54 PM

I know Jensen has mentioned he likes to watch it at a Con before, although it could be a diplomatic positive line one says to the fans. But he's a fan of the show, for sure. As for those cast and crew who don't get or have access to advance copies of the episode, I'd think they watch the show live. Writers, probably not. And if I was Ben Edlund (who wrote and directed tomorrow's episode), I'd be hanging out with Whedon and helping him sort the brown-nosing congratulatory gift baskets/packages coming in by the hundreds.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

It's extremely rare in Hollywood to find actors, writers, producers who watch the finish product of their TV Show, most have never seen an episode.

Dust Bunny

Dust Bunny

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:12 PM

Show officially renewed. Sera Gamble out.

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

.7/1.58

The Castiel fan in me wishes he could take the credit for the stability in these numbers.

Edited by Blackmantra53, May 5, 2012 @ 2:57 PM.

Raynell

Raynell

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:52 PM

Not bad actually. I was expecting a ratings apocalypse due to The Avengers. Still on the low side, but stable.

Dynaformer

Dynaformer

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

.7/1.58

The Castiel fan in me wishes he could take the credit for the stability in these numbers.

Yeah, me, too. Trying to interpret ratings reminds me of trying to handicap a horse race.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:47 PM

I don't know what a RioCon is, but people there are reporting that there will be 24 episodes next year. Yes, CW is THAT desperate.

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:57 PM

I just noticed that last night's episode is #12 on iTunes. I have no idea how iTunes ranking varies from week to week. I imagine that, like ratings, it is somewhat meaningful, but mystifying. A "Top 10" or "Top 20" probably means good DVDs sales prospects. But now I'm curious. Nielsen's seem so old fashioned these days.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:09 AM

I'm kind of surprised at the ratings (for all shows) last night. I thought The Avengers would have had a bigger impact, the movie pulled in big numbers, it's weird that most of the shows held steady or only too a slight tumble.

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:48 AM

Nielsen's seem so old fashioned these days

They do seem to be a very unreliable measure of who is watching the show these days, yet Mark Pedowitz was recently quoted as saying he wants to lure fans back to live viewing. I mentioned this to a younger, techno-geek colleague of mine and he laughed.
I believe the Neilsen ratings are obsolete, but as long as the networks are dependent on advertising for revenue I see no better way except perhaps heavy product placement.
Perhaps Dean needs to develop a sudden affinity for McDonald's instead of Biggerson's.

I'd think they watch the show live

Did I not read somewhere they have a weekly, Friday lunchtime tradition of watching the current episode together on-set where everyone not otherwise engaged can see it?

Edited by Blackmantra53, May 6, 2012 @ 8:17 AM.

Otaku

Otaku

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

Hat

Unfortunately the actually numbers really don't help make your point. SPN has one of the lowest declines from its start of any show on network television.

This is not like years ago when you could simply judge a show based on final numbers. If you choose to do so, please understand that you are only going to weaken any opinion you also make, because you aren't looking at the change in variables that are effecting all elements of tv (be in broadcast, be in syndication, be it cable broadcast, ect).

If its necessary for me to post year to year charts comparing all aspects of the shows performance, not only versus itself, but the CW as a whole, and all of broadcast tv, for every single new episode I can. Trust me on this, I am probably more knowledgable then almost anyone who posts on this site.

Now you can feel (and you are perfectly entitled to do so, as quality is very subjective) that the show has dropped in quality (in this I agree as I think seasons 2, 4 and 5 were significantly better, think season 3 is fairly even with this season, and I think season 6 and 1 are worse). But thats my opinion and my opinion has absolutely no bearing on the overall audience. My likes are not representative of the overall public. Its hubris indeed to presume that any of ours represents the masses.

On to a rumor, per a con report the show was renewed for not a 22 episodes season, nor a 13 episode season, nor a 23 episode season. But per the con report a 24 episode season. This is just a rumor as I have heard no official announcement.

But if true, its a very strong sign that both the studio and network are quite pleased with the performance of the show. And if true would be especially surprising since its very likely that next year will have the highest number of new programming that the CW has ever put fourth.

Just a note, I would be very surprised if this was true.

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

Jim Michaels quashed the 24 episode rumour in a tweet roughly twelve hours ago. He claims there will be only twenty three episodes next season and I'm sure Demian will be happy to hear that.

Shattered Life

Shattered Life

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Is next season the last season then?

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

CW did not announce it as a final season.

KnitTzu

KnitTzu

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

It's extremely rare in Hollywood to find actors, writers, producers who watch the finish product of their TV Show, most have never seen an episode.

That would explain a lot of things.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Hmm, I thought for sure it would be announced as the final season. I guess they're going to try to squeeze out 10 seasons. Who knows, maybe a new show runner with new ideas will breath some life into the series.

I don't have the issues that many here have with the show, I don't find it bad, boring or any of the complaints I see...I still enjoy it quite a bit. But 10 seasons is a very long time for any show (unless it's a procedural). I guess I'll see how it goes for the rest but, I'm totally in for S8.

Rina99

Rina99

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I don't have the issues that many here have with the show, I don't find it bad, boring or any of the complaints I see...I still enjoy it quite a bit. But 10 seasons is a very long time for any show (unless it's a procedural). I guess I'll see how it goes for the rest but, I'm totally in for S8.

That's pretty much how I feel. Season 6 was probably the weakest, and I'll always be disappointed in how the Campbell storyline ended (they wasted Parker Lewis!), but I still really enjoy the show. So I'm glad for season 8. If next season is still enjoyable, I'll be hoping for another one as well.

Katiki

Katiki

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:09 PM

Hat

Actually, Supernatural has lost impressively few viewers since season 1. Many of them have simply shifted to alternate viewing. Thanks to a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, we now have figures for The CW's online viewing (which unsurprisingly are far higher than the big four networks.) So a statistician over at TVbytheNumbers did the math, and added this season's live ratings plus online and DVR ratings for the next 7 days following each episode, and then compared them to season 1.

Season 1......3.4 million viewers
Season 7......2.9-3.0 million viewers

http://www.thewinche...kuOquQs.twitter

Furthermore, from what they have said at cons and in interviews, Jensen does watch the episodes, but Jared never has right from the start, except for a few special ones like The French Mistake and Death's Door. Jared says he thinks he looks "disgusting on screen" (he should seriously get his eyesight checked) and he thinks too much about what was going on behind the scenes to be able to enjoy the story.

As someone else said, the people who make the show often don't watch it. I guess if you work in the sausage factory all day, you don't necessarily want to eat sausage when you get home.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:53 AM

Furthermore, from what they have said at cons and in interviews, Jensen does watch the episodes, but Jared never has right from the start, except for a few special ones like The French Mistake and Death's Door. Jared says he thinks he looks "disgusting on screen" (he should seriously get his eyesight checked) and he thinks too much about what was going on behind the scenes to be able to enjoy the story.

I didn't know that about Jensen that's really cool. I always say that the people involved should watch the finished product so that they'd have a better understanding of why their fans react the way they do. I swear there are a lot of shows out there where the production team's thoughts/opinions on episodes/scenes is totally disconnected from what I, as a viewer, see when the show airs.

The only other actor that I know for a fact watched his show is Sam Witwer, he mentioned in an interview that he'd watch Smallville to make sure that Davis came across the right way; and that he was performing the scene properly (conveying the right emotions).

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:21 AM

I didn't know that about Jensen that's really cool. I always say that the people involved should watch the finished product so that they'd have a better understanding of why their fans react the way they do. I swear there are a lot of shows out there where the production team's thoughts/opinions on episodes/scenes is totally disconnected from what I, as a viewer, see when the show airs.

Indeed. It seems logical to me that if an artist wants to improve their work, self-critquing is the best way to do that.

Many of them have simply shifted to alternate viewing

But are these alternate viewers paying for the content? I am the only person I know who pays for downloads, everyone else uses alternative methods.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Indeed. It seems logical to me that if an artist wants to improve their work, self-critquing is the best way to do that.

I agree. All good artists look at their work and they see what they feel they could improve on. I also heard that Jensen does look at his work and I feel he can see what is working and what is not. That, to me, makes him more aware of not only his character, but how his character is connecting with the other characters. It gives him a wider view, which I think also helps him in his directing gigs.

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

Despite all the financial incentives for WB to keep SPN on the air, I'm starting to think that S8 will be the last. I don't see how much longer the CW can last.

Every year, I think that the CW has hit bottom, but then they find a new bottom. This article on the latest CW failure is comprehensive about the network's failing strategy. (Source here)

Edited by yimhappy, May 10, 2012 @ 5:37 PM.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

Well let's hope the new predident Mark Pedowitz will be able to pull off a miracle.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

I'd really rather hope for the CW to die a miserable death. They never had any quality television of their own, just leftovers from the WB (Supernatural) and UPN (Veronica Mars). The former was milked to death and then some, the latter axed after one year on this godforsaken network.

It needs to be put down before it can spawn another round of ugly-ass pilots.

Belley

Belley

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:23 AM

These right here are the reasons Supernatural will never die:

A cosmopolitan woman gets married and becomes a fish out of water in the suburbs having to juggle step-kids, her mother-in-law, and the ex-wife of her husband who also happens to be the town sheriff.

Set in New York City against the backdrop of the presidential race. Follows a young astrophysics student who finds out that his destiny lies not in science but somewhere between hell and heaven.

What the hell does that last one even mean?

yimhappy

yimhappy

Video Archivist

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

0.7/1.68

Meh

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 12:21 PM

Friday's final ratings
CW Supernatural 0.7/2 1.58

Vaya

Vaya

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 3:47 PM

I saw something about the CW introducing a prequel to Sex and the City, so now we can find out exactly how Carrie became a self involved fashion disaster as a teenager!