Network Executive

Posted Feb 9, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Daaaaamn, that's cold.

Hee.

Prospero

Prospero

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 12:28 AM

I like this season much better than the previous one, but would Sera Gamble actually mind finding another job? This show could still work, but it needs another showrunner real bad. The one who could perhaps actually move the story forward. Right now they are just stalling and occasionally delivering good episodes that still do very little to change anything.

muffilator

muffilator

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 4:29 PM

TV by the Numbers has more about the CW's collapse this season:

Because the crack PR troops at the CW never rest, you may not have seen much in the entertainment media about the utter collapse of the network's ratings this season, but our readers know its adults 18-49 ratings are down 27% vs. last season. That's not "typical long term broadcast primetime erosion" (-5%), or even "NBC is FUBAR'd" declines (-11%), that's "dump whatever's not bolted down or the balloon's going to crash" territory.

In a weekly example that mirrors the entire season, during week 20 last season, Hellcats drew a network low 0.8 adults 18-49 rating for the week. That 0.8 was as good or better than all but two shows (The Vampire Diaries, Supernatural) on the CW last week (week 20 of this season) ...

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if some combination of four shows (the most likely being Nikita, Hart Of Dixie, Ringer & Gossip Girl) were canceled in a desperate bid to get as many new shows on the air as possible next Fall to try and find something that works.

SPN is currently listed as "certain to be renewed".

timimoon108

timimoon108

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2012 @ 6:31 PM

I like this season much better than the previous one, but would Sera Gamble actually mind finding another job? This show could still work, but it needs another showrunner real bad. The one who could perhaps actually move the story forward. Right now they are just stalling and occasionally delivering good episodes that still do very little to change anything.

I agree with that...taking my comment to the appropriate thread.

Not too many seasons more and they'll be insured against the possibility of Jensen declining to continue by having Chad Everett waiting in the wings to take over.

Lol!!! and I'll still be watching because I'm too weak I can't stop :(

"certain to be renewed".

Please, no more.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 7:04 AM

Because the crack PR troops at the CW never rest, you may not have seen much in the entertainment media about the utter collapse of the network's ratings this season, but our readers know its adults 18-49 ratings are down 27% vs. last season. That's not "typical long term broadcast primetime erosion" (-5%), or even "NBC is FUBAR'd" declines (-11%), that's "dump whatever's not bolted down or the balloon's going to crash" territory.

Ouch.

I guess Dawn's philosophy of basically only wanting shows that target teen girls is now catching up to CW. The CW could sure use that Aquaman spin-off she didn't pick up a few years ago.

Yeah, Supernatural will get a full 22 for what should be a final season. At this point the CW can't afford to lose Supernatural, they've only got 2 more stable shows. My guess is Supernatural may get paired with another superhero show next season. I remember reading there were talks about making a Green Arrow show, so I wouldn't be shocked to see it made, and Friday goes back to a DC superhero and Supernatural night.

Otaku

Otaku

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Fast Nationals

Nikita
1.45 million
.5 adults

Supernatural
1.86 million (2nd highest rated episode of the season based on preliminary numbers)
.7 adults

Don't have any half hours yet (last week for example the half hours were .5,.5, .7, 8 in preliminaries, don't know in finals). Preliminary half hours are .5,.5,.7,.7 Will see on Monday if we hold that in Finals.

Based on our history of improving (viewers all but one week this season) We should be the 2nd most watched show on the CW for the week.

To highlight a point. Secret Circle with a 1.3 lead in with adults 18-49 and 3.08 in viewers could only manage to get a .8 adults and 1.82 million viewers. A Drop of 35%. While we (on a Friday) improve by a larger margin over our lead in.

Oh and I want to comment about the numbers reported by tvbythenumbers. About the CW being down 27% and that 5% is average 11% is bad (NBC) levels. If you remember I stated that shows are expected to drop 10-15% as average.

My numbers were reflections of the average show for live same day numbers. The numbers they are talking about are Live Plus 7 (except for the last two weeks of the season). They also are talking networks as a whole, while I tend to only average show declines for shows that survive a season. There's would include shows that only last one or part of one season, and those shows tend to drop considerable faster then returning shows.

Hope that helps highlight a point. THe network in live plus 7 (Sept - Jan) and live same day (in February) is down 27% in the demo. We are down in that metric 8%. It's why in relationship to the CW SPN is having one of its best years ever.

Edited by Otaku, Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:28 PM.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

1.86 million (2nd highest rated episode of the season based on preliminary numbers)

Were there any preemptions anywhere last night?

Otaku

Otaku

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Not that I have heard reported.

Oh and this same week last year are preliminary numbers were 1.96 million viewers. Down a 100,000. From the year ago.

Just to give a little look at how fairly stable this season has been, and how much we are getting closer to last year (unlike most seasons we aren't having a large drop during the actual season).

Otaku

Otaku

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2012 @ 5:04 PM

Finals
Nikita
1.45 million
.5 adults 18-49

SPN
1.88 million viewers (4th highest of the year, only VD had more viewers this week)
.8 adults 18-49 tied with Secret Circle for 2nd best demo of the week.

Secret Circle had VD as lead in 3.08 million viewers and 1.3 adults, we had Nikita as our lead in.

Kimit

Kimit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

The CW has decided to run some Supernatural repeats on Thursday nights instead of Secret Circle repeats. Interesting!

http://www.ksitetv.c...ernatural/11812

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

Wow, that's interesting. NBC keeps doing the same thing with Grimm, trying it out in the Thursday at 10PM time-slot, it shows that they have confidence in the show.

I can't imagine the network is looking to move SPN to Thursday's in the fall and put TSC on Friday night's with a new show, that doesn't sound smart at all. So, I really have no idea what is going on with the Thursday deal.

skizzo

skizzo

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

To be fair, no show that paired up with TVD has increased their lead in, they've all plunged (including Supernatural), so I dont think its a fair comparison. However, I dont think SPN and TSC are fighting against each other, besides TVD, both are probably gonna get renewed.
It doesn't seem smart however to put TSC on a Friday. SPN clearly works as its a long term show with faithful fans, putting a new show on a Friday is a killer, check out Nikita's ratings...

Kimit

Kimit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 19, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

Fast nationals for Friday's episode:

Supernatural (Viewers: 1.68 million; A18-49: 0.7/ 2).

Also, TNT will be having a season 6 marathon tomorrow.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

Not even sure I should pay attention to the Fast Nationals anymore, SPN always seems to adjust up in the Finals

TVByTheNumbers
Supernatural 0.8/2 1.74 million

Otaku

Otaku

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 10:16 PM

And like last week

We were the 2nd most watched show on the CW in total viewers and had the second highest adult 18-49 rating on the CW.

We did better in this spring then we did in the fall (the only show on the CW to see improvement).

Full Demos for the night (I almost never see them anymore, damn it).

Nikita
1.513 million viewers
.5 adults 18-49
.5 adults 18-34
.6 w 18-34
.5 adults 25-54

SPN
.8 adults 18-49
.8 adults 18-34 (beating or Tying almost all shows on the CW except for VD and OTH), for Friday thats very surprising, and especially for this demo.
.8 w 18-34 (tying GG and Ringer) Seriously, how much as GG dropped it has in past years nearly reached 4.0 in this demo. OF course even VD usually only gets a 1.7 and in three years that 's over a 50% drop. put that in comparison we have to go back to season one to have anything double a .8.

.8 adults 25-54 (2nd highest on the net)

Live Plus Seven for two weeks ago
1.2 adults 18-49 2nd best on the CW (VD of course killed us).
1.0 for Hart of Dixie, 90210, and Secret Circle
.9 for Ringer and Gossip Girl
.7 Nikita (who can't even tie are same day number with 6 additional days of viewership).

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

One of the posters at TVByTheNumbers mentioned that SPN was the 2nd highest rated show on the CW Network, I was kind of shocked. I mean a show in it's 7th year airing on a Friday out performs everything else but TVD? There's something seriously wrong with this network.

Edited by morrigan2575, Feb 22, 2012 @ 9:18 AM.

melanyrose

melanyrose

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

There's something seriously wrong with this network.

Yup. That's about the extent of it. The fact that SPN is doing good in a network where the highest rated show barely gets over 3 mil is pretty sad.

Otaku

Otaku

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

I have tried to tell people this point since nearly the start of the season.

Besides Season 5 we have never done so well against the rest of the CW. Heck even season one versus the average WB show was much worse, ratio wise then what we are doing now.

And consider this two other show currently on the CW were also around back in the WB/ UPN days and both have dropped dramatically more then we have.

And another point: Friday Factor. Some posters shrug off the statistical data that fewer people watch tv on Friday then any other day (except Saturday of course) for network tv. Well another data point got added as another show moved to Friday, and with no shock dropped 20% in adults 18-49, 30% in adults 18-34 versus its last original run episode on Sunday this year. Setting all time lows for that program in ever general demo 50 plus, adults 25-54, adults 18-49, adults 18-34, and teen demos. And setting a record for lowest total audience.

And all of that happened in the same season. It did better facing some of the largest broadcast events of the year, like Football playoffs and Championship games, this simply moving to Friday.

Yes and the CW is in serious ratings trouble. And that trouble, degrades the full lineup. Just as NBC problems hurt the rest of its schedule. In house promotion for example is the single largest means of advertising for shows on all networks.

I mean Live plus 7 the CW is down what 25%, its live same day numbers are down much more.

When the affiliates contract comes up I can't see how they can keep the network going unless they can increases the size of their tv audience.

A lot of people myself included talk about DVR use (which for example is half of SPN typical audience), to vast increases in online streaming (legally).

But while those things might be good for the Parent Companies, they don't help affiliates out. All the deals with Netflix and Hulu (all designed to help profit on the CW's base of younger fans who are faster to embrace alternative means of viewing) will only help the network if they can use that cash influx to get shows on the air that can reach a larger audience.

It isn't going to be easy (if it can even occur), as again networks all tend to loose audience year to year.

Of course for those issues to be a factor for SPN it means SPN would be already on its tenth season.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:01 AM

So, is the next new episode airing on the 9th or the 16th? The promo that aired said the 9th, but I'm seeing the 16th on a bunch of different sites of varying reliability.

Kimit

Kimit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

The 16th. The CW changed it like the day after they aired the promo.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:11 AM

Hooray!

Also: What morons.

Also also: Is the rumor that there are 23 episodes in this season actually true?

sallysweeet

sallysweeet

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

Also also: Is the rumor that there are 23 episodes in this season actually true?

I'm sorry, Demian, because I know that means you have to recap another episode for this show, but, yes, I believe so.

Kimit

Kimit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:31 AM

Yup, 23 episodes.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

Crap.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 6:44 PM

Crap. Thanks for letting me know about the change of dates, would have been real upset to tune in on 3/9 and get a repeat.

orionlion

orionlion

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Aww, c'mon Demian. One more episode = one more excuse to hit the liquor cabinet. Hard.

And more on topic... along with more confusion. According to imdb the episode they showed the previews for (Out with the Old) will air on March 16... but the one after that (Born Again Identity) is also scheduled for March 16. Double Header? And for even more head scratching, on the main Supernatural page on imdb, it shows RepoMan and then says next episode is Born Again Identity- with no mention of Out with the Old at all. It even shows a schedule of Episode 7x15 then Episode 7x17, skipping episode 16 completely. Is Out with the Old... out? Or is imdb just confused? I know I sure am!

Tralah

Tralah

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 11:03 PM

IMDB just hasn't been properly updated yet. It's kind of like wiki, only as good as the users updating it. 7.17 should be on March 23rd.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

The friendly and helpful Futon Critic normally has extremely accurate listings based on the network's own press releases. Unfortunately, it seems The CW itself doesn't quite know what's going on with this show in March, so The Futon Critic's schedule for the month is still a little sloppy at this point.

Observe

Observe

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

CW Supernatural 0.7 2 1.689

Not too impressive imo, considering there was no new episode of Fringe or Grimm and we're coming back after a hiatus and what some might have considered a tantalizing cliffhanger in 7.15.

Fringe is back next week, and The Hunger Games also opens. I imagine both will probably cut into ratings.

Edited by Observe, Mar 17, 2012 @ 6:56 PM.

Gwonk

Gwonk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2012 @ 7:00 PM

Not surprising, really. First week of real springtime on the east coast and I really doubt a lot of 20-somethings were home Friday night.

I may or may not have had too much Bailey's... but it was goooood.