Ratings and Scheduling Issues: I Can't Do This Alone

• Please log in to reply

10278 replies to this topic

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:12 PM

It's # 3 or #4 each week for the WB and has been called the lone bright spot in a sea of freshmen mediocity.

Discuss the ratings here.

Edited by alexias, Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:14 PM.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:16 PM

It got beat by an Everybody Hates Chris repeat last Tuesday but it was also a repeat. Hopefully with sweeps starting, the ratings will improve.

dhb

dhb

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:17 PM

Yep. According to ABC Medianet, it was the number three show on the WB with 5,080,000 viewers. If it can hold those numbers for the rest of the year, it'll definitely get a second season.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:19 PM

Actually the ratings have been very solid for the show, averaging more than 5 milion each week which is making the WB very happy. It also has maintained about 90% of the audience from lead-in Gilmore Girls which is now the #1/#2 show on the network.

However, I don't expect it to get the same ratings as Everybody Hates Chris which has actually gotten over 7 million viewers.

Bluebaby

Bluebaby

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:33 PM

Here is what Zap2it said about it.

"Commander in Chief," 9.6/14, was down some from recent weeks but still won the 9 p.m. hour for ABC. "House" returned to FOX with an 8.7/13. "The Amazing Race," 6.8/10, finished third for CBS, ahead of "My Name Is Earl," 7.6/11, and "The Office," 5.2/8, on NBC. UPN moved up to fifth with reruns of "Everybody Hates Chris," and The WB trailed with a "Supernatural" repeat.

I can see it now UPN will gloat that their repeat of "Everybody Hates Chris" beat "Supernatural" . And UPN better not move "EHC" to this timeslot based on the numbers.

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:40 PM

I think CIC and House would probably be SN's greatest competition since you have two shows on major networks competing for an audience.

Bluebaby

Bluebaby

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 11:36 AM

a repeat of Supernatural (Overnights: 1.3/ 2; Viewers: 1.36 million; A18-49: 0.6/ 1).

Considering this episode was already repeated on Tuesday, I think it did well.

Oh Zap2it made me really mad:

ABC's "Desperate Housewives" delivered a 15.5/22 for the 9 p.m. hour. The first hour of CBS' "Category 7" did a 9.7/14. The beginning of NBC's two-hour "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" had an 8.4/12, better than FOX's "Family Guy" and "American Dad," though that duo again topped NBC in the key demographic. The WB's "Supernatural" wasn't really in the hunt

Didn't they know this was a 2x repeat airing of Supernatural

witchofnovember

witchofnovember

Stalker

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 7:20 AM

Here is the Canadian TV Guide article about the show and our boys.

One of the best lines in it is

"We're not going to drive around like a bunch of pussies... I really enjoy the music we have on the show," Padalecki says

Edited by witchofnovember, Nov 8, 2005 @ 7:37 AM.

tenaciousmetoo

tenaciousmetoo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 9:07 AM

Here is the Canadian TV Guide article about the show and our boys.

Anyone else notice how they put the Padalecki in the background in those promo photos just far back enough that they look the same height? Really, people, this is not necessary. Nice piece though.

tambralyn

tambralyn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 12:31 PM

I thought someone here said that House was going to be moved to Monday nights, and would no longer be a conflict with our boys, but I heard a promotion for it tonight on the radio? Will that be happening later in the year, or not at all?

La Anah

La Anah

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 12:34 PM

Fox is moving its schedule around in January. Here's what they're planning. It could change before then.

tambralyn

tambralyn

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 12:39 PM

I guess I can deal with that. At least Supernatural won't be on at the same time as any of the AI shows - I would have to have a serious smackdown with other family members over who gets to watch the big TV (because really, a 13 inch screen doesn't really do the boys justice).

Brunette

Brunette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 3:36 PM

I didn't know Eric Kripke directed "Boogeyman"! That makes SO MUCH SENSE. When I described the pilot to my family, I was like, "It's basically 'Boogeyman' with two snarky brothers, and the ending doesn't suck."

I thought the cinematography looked very similar. Wow, you learn something everyday!!!

And does it depress anyone else when they read about Jared's and Jensen's girlfriends? Because the fangirl in me gets very sad when I hear them talk about their girlfriends. *sigh* I guess I'll have to settle with fantasizing about their characters.

"I hope there's something down here that's corporeal..." - the Padalecki

BWAH!

ETA: YAY! No more House/Supernatural showdowns in my living room!!!

Edited by Brunette, Nov 8, 2005 @ 3:37 PM.

Pulpbomb

Pulpbomb

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 6:24 PM

I've been juggling VCRs on Tuesday night this season and if nothing else, I'm getting a great work out.

tenaciousmetoo

tenaciousmetoo

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 6:28 PM

And does it depress anyone else when they read about Jared's and Jensen's girlfriends? Because the fangirl in me gets very sad when I hear them talk about their girlfriends.

I'm actually really surprised that the WB has allowed them to be photographed with said girlfriends, or even bring them to publicity events.

Demian

Demian

Network Executive

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 7:00 PM

Not me. This is the show that's supposed to pull in those elusive male viewers the WB's suddenly interested in pursuing this year. It could only help to have one of the leads hanging all over a Playmate like a cheap suit.

A cheap suit with one fiiiiiine ass, but a cheap suit nonetheless.

proteus

proteus

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 8:05 PM

And does it depress anyone else when they read about Jared's and Jensen's girlfriends? Because the fangirl in me gets very sad when I hear them talk about their girlfriends. *sigh* I guess I'll have to settle with fantasizing about their characters.

Thanks for posting this, Brunette ! I have been feeling stupid and childish for getting all upset for the same reason! Avoiding the media and just watching the show helps.

Brunette

Brunette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 8:10 PM

Thanks for posting this, Brunette ! I have been feeling stupid and childish for getting all upset for the same reason!

Hee. We can all feel stupid and childish together. I've been having flashbacks to the days of my Backstreet Boys worship. The day that Brian and Kevin announced they were getting married, my entire world came crashing down. Thankfully, I sought help for that obsession, and I'm cured.

But I digress.

Hopefully ratings will go up this week!

Bluebaby

Bluebaby

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

The ratings for this week were not very good this week:

Supernatural (WB)
Overnights: 3.3/ 5 (#5), Viewers: 4.34 million (#5), A18-49: 1.7/ 4 (#5)

Could be better this week, but still an overall good fit out of Gilmore Girls.

I am really worried that the ratings are going to continue sliding

Brunette

Brunette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 12:43 PM

Maybe the ratings went down because people are so freaked out by bugs? Ghosts and goblins are one thing, but bugs tend to freak people out more than things that go bump in the night. Which confuses me to no end.

Again, to quote my beloved Padalecki:

"I hope there's something down here that's corporeal..."

That is SO the way I think.

alexias

alexias

Stalker

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 1:06 PM

All the WB shows seem to be down this week, including lead in Gilmore Girls which, for it's last "Fresh" episode pulled in over 6 million. Charmed was down like 600,000 as well, and Smallville didn't pull in as many viewers from the previous new episode to the most recent. Not sure what's going on, but hopefully the Boys will bounce back to the 5 mil mark.

They should promote the HELL out of next week's episode, given the hugeness of the premise.

charmingaussie

charmingaussie

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 12:37 AM

I wonder if playing the repeats on Sunday night is affecting the Tuesday night ratings? Viewers who prefer to watch House (or whatever) know that they can catch a repeat of Supernatural on Sunday night, so it's not such a "can't miss" anymore.

Bluebaby

Bluebaby

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 5:12 AM

I am really surprised that nobody is really concerned/worried that the ratings are lower this week. So if the ratings are even lower next week are we still not going to be worried. If the ratings sink lower it does not bode well for this show at all. Summerland went from 4 million to 2 million viewers and got canceled. Supernatural if it hits 3 million next week that is bad. If this show goes from 5 million to 3 million viewers in just three weeks than something is really wrong.

I keep thinking why the ratings are lower and well it has to be the competition from the other night. It obviously lost some viewers to House. It also has to compete against other hit shows like My Name is Earl, Amazing Race, CIC. There was also this Patte Labell special that got enourmous ratings. But SUpernatural was competiting with all these shows before House went on hiatus and it got 5 million viewers. So Supernatural has lost viewers since then because they did not like it.

Maybe the ratings went down because people are so freaked out by bugs? Ghosts and goblins are one thing, but bugs tend to freak people out more than things that go bump in the night. Which confuses me to no end.

I could be that nobody wanted to watch this episode because they all thought it was going to be lame. The previews made it look worse. The episode was not good and it does not bode well for this show next week.

All the WB shows seem to be down this week, including lead in Gilmore Girls which, for it's last "Fresh" episode pulled in over 6 million. Charmed was down like 600,000 as well, and Smallville didn't pull in as many viewers from the previous new episode to the most recent. Not sure what's going on, but hopefully the Boys will bounce back to the 5 mil mark.

They should promote the HELL out of next week's episode, given the hugeness of the premise.

Knowing the WB they probably won't. 5 million viewers would be nice but I don't think it can ever hit that mark again because all its competition and because I think the Bugs episode really hurt it.

J Man

J Man

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 5:38 AM

I definitely think ratings were hit hard by the huge competition this week, but I don't expect them to be down this low in future. For now, I'm thinking of it as a temporary blip - the show has been a good anf consistent performer for WB during it's first 7 episodes, I don't see any reason why that won't continue.

Fingers crossed, anyway.

witchofnovember

witchofnovember

Stalker

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 9:04 AM

For now, I'm thinking of it as a temporary blip - the show has been a good anf consistent performer for WB during it's first 7 episodes, I don't see any reason why that won't continue.

Also, the last three weeks have consisted of two of the weakest episodes so far (Hook Man and Bugs) and a repeat that has now aired 4 times (DiTW).

I think, since we have been granted a full season and we're only up to episode 8, we've got some time before we need to think about panicking.

Bluebaby

Bluebaby

Posted Nov 11, 2005 @ 10:36 PM

Also, the last three weeks have consisted of two of the weakest episodes so far (Hook Man and Bugs) and a repeat that has now aired 4 times (DiTW).

I thought Hook Man was a strong episode, but Bugs was a blunder for sweeps. I thought Dead in the Water aired twice that week.

I definitely think ratings were hit hard by the huge competition this week, but I don't expect them to be down this low in future. For now, I'm thinking of it as a temporary blip - the show has been a good anf consistent performer for WB during it's first 7 episodes, I don't see any reason why that won't continue.

It maybe temporary, it maybe not because "Bugs" was a really bad episode and the ratings could go even lower next week.

catharsis

catharsis

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2005 @ 10:45 PM

I was one of the people that did not watch because of the bugs. I see enough bugs in my apartment complex; I don't want to see them on my TV. A little bit of a slide is to be expected with an episode like that, honestly: bugs--not Supernatural enough. Let's get back to the ghosts and demons and all that jazz and leave the bugs to Fear Factor and the Discovery Channel. That being said, I think ratings will go back up-- they just picked a bad time to run a mediocre episode.

Edited by catharsis, Nov 12, 2005 @ 10:45 PM.

acf151

acf151

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 12, 2005 @ 11:55 PM

Ghosts and goblins are one thing, but bugs tend to freak people out more than things that go bump in the night. Which confuses me to no end.

Brunette

The Winchester Boys deal w/ ghosties and ghoulies on a day to day basis, but I sure don't. Bugs are a different story and nothing freaks me out more than the thought of some earwig crawling down my ear. I'm not as afraid of the spooks; if I thought I would have to deal with them, I would be.

Well, the only thing you can really do for the ratings is to watch and tell friends about it. WB went pretty far publicizing the show this summer, but I haven't seen much since. I think it'll pick up with Home. And honestly, looking at many other shows like Alias and Smallville, I'd rather see one or two good seasons of Supernatural than see it turned into a mockery of itself. I'm really afraid of that happening. The leads are just too good at acting to have to go through that kind of an assasination.

*edited for idiot grammar issues

Edited by acf151, Nov 12, 2005 @ 11:55 PM.

proteus

proteus

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 4:15 AM

I hope the ratings rebound, too. This show is so much better than a lot of the other crap that's on. I just read somewhere that Arrested development and Kitchen Confidential got cancelled, and these shows were pulling in around 4m viewers too.

Lysine

Lysine

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 7:27 AM

But Arrested Development and Kitchen Confidential were on FOX, not The WB; you can't compare ratings on Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC to those of a "little" cable channel like the WB. Hell, if Supernatural were on FOX and pulling 5 millions, it probably would have been cancelled already, while so far it's been considered a hit for the WB. I agree that it would be better for everyone involved if Superntural went back to 5 millions viewers next week, but IMO, there's no need to worry just yet.