Doppelgangers: The Cast in Other Roles

• Please log in to reply

3781 replies to this topic

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 8:51 AM

Once upon a time, Dean was a boring football coach who pined for Lana Lang and Sam slept with someone who was not his wife.

Discuss other roles played by Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, and others. Has the Winchesters' Impala been in any other roles? If not, she should be.

lyonie17

lyonie17

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 9:26 AM

Well, Jensen also played MmmAlec on Dark Angel's second season, following a one-show appearance in season one as MmmAlec's psychotic twin Ben. He has quite a trend going of one season per show.... We'll hope this one lasts longer.

Nutty Goodness

Nutty Goodness

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 9:51 AM

The thing is, The Ackles wasn't immediately boring on Smallville. He was actually quite charming in the first few episodes he was in. I'm thinking of that adorable moment at the end of that crapfest "Facade" when Lana was talking about being narcissistic and he said, "Well, yeah I've been meaning to talk to you about how vain you are."

But then he became more and more boring. It's like there's some mathematical equation to explain how prolonged exposure to The Lang will drain the charm right out of you.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 9:59 AM

The thing is, The Ackles wasn't immediately boring on Smallville. He was actually quite charming in the first few episodes he was in.

I was pleasantly surprised to find myself liking Jason at first. I didn't think he was hot, necessarilly. (There's just something about SMALLVILLE, because I don't think of gorgeous Tom Welling/Clark as hot either.) But he was very likeable. And he seemed to make Lana more likeable and real, too. I remember liking Lana more than I had in a long time at the start of season 4, and I think a lot of that was because of her scenes with Jason.

Then, the writers of SV did what they do best. Drained a promising character of any drop of fun and interest so they could turn him into another crazy Lana-stalker.

Still, Jensen did as well as he could in the part. You could see he was trying, but the writing just wasn't there.

Nutty Goodness

Nutty Goodness

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 10:51 AM

Exactly! Poor guy deserves a great show now. He's paid his dues.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:15 AM

I remember when The Ackles was Eric Brady on DOOL. He did nothing for me then. I used to make fun of him, lol. And then he showed up Smallville and for that first episode he made me enjoy Lana. Until he ended up yet another Lana victim.

GovMarley

GovMarley

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:20 AM

Oh, TiffanyNichelle, you read my mind! I wasn't impressed with Eric Brady, thought, "this might be ok" his first two episodes of Smallville, then the power of the pink sucked the life out of him, but love, love, love him on SN. When did he get so damn sexy?

And Dean (Sam...he is always Dean to me!). Didn't feel the CuteDean love on GG, but he definitely has his hot moments now.

Brunette

Brunette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:28 AM

You could see he was trying, but the writing just wasn't there.

On Smallville, when is the writing ever there?

Dachelle

Dachelle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:35 AM

I was really surprised by my love for Jensen on this show, because I'm with those for whom he did nothing as Eric on DooL. I think the character was too nice and blah for me. Dean suits him much better.

I missed him on Smallville because of my overwhelming frustration with the show. I might have to Netflix the eps where he makes Lana bearable, though. That's an acting feat I'd have to see.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 11:39 AM

Check the season premiere. They were cute and flirty and I cursed him for making me enjoy a Lana scene.

mar-g-wan

mar-g-wan

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:04 PM

Yeah I was shocked in that first season 4 episode of Smallville(which I only started watching when ABC Family put on the repeats earlier this year and I have NO idea why I continue watching them--it's like a train wreck I guess). So JA's first appearance there was like maybe a week after the SN pilot aired on the WB so I didn't have a real strong connection with him as an actor that point. Still it was like "oh my god, Lana is actually....bearable? This can't be happening!" In my mind JA accomplished a huge feat just in managing that--however briefly it lasted.

I really did love him in that episode of Dark Angel I watched though, I was very impressed.

laivine

laivine

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:13 PM

I never saw SV, DA, or DC...but I have been listening/watching some Alec clips to get my fix and being thoroughly impressed. I'm definitely gonna rent the S2 DVDs simply to see that great line: (when asked why he needs 500 bucks by a snarly, stupid, British thug) He replies, in an equally good (to my non-British ears) accent, "I need it for a ride on your mum!"

Yeah, it doesn't take much.

I also liked JP on GG, but I haven't seen it recently so I never saw the MarriedCuteDean. He seemed like a really nice guy at that time and that's what I came to SN with.

bookgirl71

bookgirl71

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:23 PM

I've always thought that JAckles got the shaft on other shows because he wasn't an original cast member on any of them, and he was usually a better actor than the "stars" of the show. TPTB couldn't have him upstaging the "stars" so they always made his character less appealing. I did love him on DA though, and I still think that Alec was a great character with so much potential. I've never seen him during his soap opera days, so I don't know anything about that.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:27 PM

I didn't think Jason was boring at first, either, but he inevitably turned into a spot of unseasoned mashed potato left on Lana's plate. Like Bitterswete, I didn't think he was hot on Smallville. Pretty, but not hot. I could tell there was some talent there, though, so I was interested in seeing what he could do on Supernatural.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:34 PM

Pretty, but not hot.

Am I the only one who was drooling over him on SV? I wanted Jason and Lex to run off together and get their own show - with Chloe tagging along - and I don't even mean that in a slashy way.

Edited by Calliope, Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:40 PM.

Her Owlness

Her Owlness

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:36 PM

I've seen Jensen on DOOL and DA - and since I was in about 7th grade when he was on DOOL, I adored him. I thought that Eric was so cute and so sweet, and I just turned into a 13-year-old puddle of mush.

I didn't get a chance to see DA until late August, when my friend took advantage of my residual JAckles love/adoration and convinced me to watch a few DA episodes - Pollo Loco and The Berrisford Agenda. And, while Pollo Loco was fun, I was totally blown away by The Berrisford Agenda. I then proceeded to demand her DVD's so I could mainline the JAckles for the next few days.

He is funny and snarky and ... I can see so many similarities between MmmAlec and Dean. I adore the Ackles (and Hot!Dean).

lexualhealing

lexualhealing

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:38 PM

Calliope, it wasn't just you. The Jex was the new black because lord knows there was no Clex after Devoted.

Bitterswete

Bitterswete

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:48 PM

I'm not big into HoYay!, but even I saw the potential in the Jex scenes. But, alas, the potential was never fully realized.

Cyb

Cyb

Stalker

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 1:48 PM

I kept trying to see the slash between Jason and Lex, especially when Jason suddenly showed up with darker hair (I assume because JA had started work on Supernatural), just like Lex likes. But Jason's potential was so wasted. I couldn't get interested in him or his story at all.

mar-g-wan

mar-g-wan

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:06 PM

Yeah I thought Jason was still halfway decent after the first few SV's as long as he wasn't near Lana The Charisma Sucking Princess of Pink. When he was interacting with Lex it was good. Even though he did suddenly turn evil(did they completely forget about the scenes earlier in the season with his mother which pretty much contradict what they did to the character later?) JA was clearly doing as much as he could with the really crappy material.

But yeah I can't wait to get my DA Season 2 DVD's because I just fell in love with Alec after one viewing.

I've always thought that JAckles got the shaft on other shows because he wasn't an original cast member on any of them, and he was usually a better actor than the "stars" of the show.

I wouldn't be surprised. After being on-line and involved in a few tv show fandoms over the years--it's amazing some of the petty crap TPTB's can pull.

Oddly enough I think his looks might sometimes hurt him too. It can be hard for actors who look a certain way to really get taken seriously. I'm just thankful the people making SN said to themselves "You know who we need playing these brothers? Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki!" :) I wish I knew what made them think that but whatever it was I'm glad they did.

Davina

Davina

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:13 PM

I then proceeded to demand her DVD's so I could mainline the JAckles for the next few days.

I did that last winter when I got my DA DVDs; if they had been tapes, they'd have broken. At first I was like, why did I like this show? Then came S2, and the mmmAlec and it was all too clear. Jensen was so damn good as Alec. And my thirst for more JAckles lead me to TWoP and thus a devoted snarker was born.

I've always thought that JAckles got the shaft on other shows because he wasn't an original cast member on any of them, and he was usually a better actor than the "stars" of the show. TPTB couldn't have him upstaging the "stars" so they always made his character less appealing.

Agreed. TPTB at DA kept trying to make Alec more of a screw-up, didn't work. The folks at DC made CJ just another boring boyfriend, and the stylists did everything they could to make Jensen look less than hot, almost average even, so as to not outdo the Fivehead I guess. And in return for being charming and making Lana almost tolerable, he was underused in the first half of the season and then the SV braintrust turned Jason into a wack Momma's boy/Lana stalker. At least someone at the WB saw the potential and gave us SN.

Her Owlness

Her Owlness

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:14 PM

Oddly enough I think his looks might sometimes hurt him too. It can be hard for actors who look a certain way to really get taken seriously. I'm just thankful the people making SN said to themselves "You know who we need playing these brothers? Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki!" :) I wish I knew what made them think that but whatever it was I'm glad they did.

Well, isn't the WB's typical method of casting involve determining who the hottest auditioners were? I mean, talent is usually optional (or only a minimal requirement) - we just got lucky with SN and TPTB cast two insanely hot guys that can also act.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:16 PM

I never wanted slash between Jex. I just wanted them to buddy up and be partners like they were in that craptastic China episode. Of course, my enjoyment could've been because I had a whole different storyline going on in my head then what AlMiles actually filmed.

And yeah, Jason's complete 180 really bugged.

ImmortalGoddess

ImmortalGoddess

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:18 PM

Agreed. TPTB at DA kept trying to make Alec more of a screw-up

We where lucky that one of the writers Moria I believe just adored Alec, she's also the one who wrote The Berrisford Agenda.

dramawitch

dramawitch

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:26 PM

I saw JA on DOOL and hated him, didn't think he was all that attractive and wasn't feeling the acting. Watched some DA when it originally aired, liked him more. Even when he became more attractive to me, i couldn't watch Smallville, I tried but KK sucked all the energy from every inch of my tv whenever she was on. I have become a true fan of JA and really enjoy watching DA on DVD and love SN.

Have to admit....liked CuteDean the first season of GG but then they really dumbed him down to make room for Jess and I started hating JP. Didn't like him in House of Wax either. I really like him on SN and kind of liked him in Cry_Wolf.

I think SN really showcases their personalities, abilities and chemistry. I'm loving it.

sorority

sorority

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:40 PM

I never saw JA in anything before Supernatural started. Somehow he always only showed up when I wasn't watching anymore (like with SV and DA) or I never watched at all (like DC).

So last week I made a point of watching Devour. Well... *cough* ... JA was pretty. Very pretty. Which is about the only nice thing I can say about the movie. JA looked seriously bored, the whole thing didn't make much sense but what got me most was this strange sex scene between him and Dominique Swain. I mean, I could see that he was trying, but she looked like she was riding a rodeo.
I can't get over the fact that a sex scene starring JA made me feel embarrassed instead of..uhm...something else. *cough*

Pyewacket

Pyewacket

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:39 PM

I'm just thankful the people making SN said to themselves "You know
who we need playing these brothers?  Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki!"
:) I wish I knew what made them think that but whatever it was I'm glad
they did.

Could not agree more. I think it's JA who talks about the casting in that Star TV
show from the JensenAcklesFans.com forum -- he said that David Nutter just went to TPTB
at the WB and said, I want these two guys, and the next thing they knew JA was being
killed off Smallville and JP was being written off Gilmore Girls, and that was that.
I just love the idea of DN perusing the Pre-Approved Hottie selection at the WB, saying,
"I'll take this one ... aaaaannnd this one," and then the other shows have to deal with it.

Edited by Pyewacket, Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:42 PM.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 3:11 PM

I saw the Jex. Hell I was rooting for the Jex when they teamed up.

lexualhealing

lexualhealing

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 3:36 PM

I never wanted slash between Jex. I just wanted them to buddy up and be partners like they were in that craptastic China episode

Now, when you say "buddy up", do you mean that in a half nekkid kinda way or do you just mean partners in crime?

Sign me up as someone who thought JA had talent even during his DOOL years.

Calliope

Calliope

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 4:38 PM

Heh. Well, I was thinking more along the lines of rogue police officers. (I said I had my own storyline going on.)

But if one or both of them had to get nekkid and strung up, you would not hear me complain.

Thanks for that pic, lexual. My two favorite boys!