Supernatural In The Media: We're Legitimate Reporters. We Swear!

• Please log in to reply

16197 replies to this topic

chickk

chickk

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 6:15 PM

I would actually like to see them at least tone down the mentor/nursemaid part of Dean and see it evolve into more of a partnership between the two.

Absolutely agree and that's what I'm getting from the comments about Sam growing up more this season and I'm looking forward that.

But I am curious about the emphasis on Sam's "leadership" skills. Who is he going to be leading? All the other psychic kids are dead and I'm assuming at the end of the day that it won't be the demon army. Who else is there? Ruby and Bela? Bobby? Is Dean going to be calling Sam sir by the end of the season the way he did with John? I can't see the boys as anything but equal partners so I find this whole leadership thing for Sam rather puzzling.

It makes me wonder if Kripke plans to end the series with Dean either going off to live a normal happily-ever-after or dying, leaving Sam to lead the rest of the hunting minions.

ETA:

I seriously don't want more episodes of the boys having the same miserable, vaguely whiny conversations about how much their lives suck. IMO the show is so much more effective when they maintain elements of humor and adventure and let the poignancy emerge more naturally rather than wallowing in its own 'woe is me' and 'see, look at how much their lives SUCK' stuff that I feel we've already gotten too much of.

Word bookwrm74.

Edited by chickk, Sep 28, 2007 @ 6:18 PM.

meeeeeeeagan

meeeeeeeagan

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 6:22 PM

Suck it up, deal-boy and entertain me by shooting monsters in the face with rocksalt.

AMEN.

go phetch

go phetch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 6:56 PM

Suck it up, deal-boy and entertain me by shooting monsters in the face with rocksalt.

Hope this is a message Kripke reads in the article when he says he looks at them. Kripke talking about Dean going through the stages of terminal illness? Ugh. Too much angst in Season 2 and now we have to watch "Dean Does Elisabeth Kubler-Ross"?

aithne414

aithne414

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:25 PM

ETA: Director's Cuts are up!

I dunno, I don't see why Sam really needs a mentor and nursemaid. I'd rather see the boys on equal footing with each other and taking care of each other rather than having it all flow one way.

I don't think he does, and I would like to see that as well. My reaction is based in my feeling that Kripke has been letting Dean be strong in the meantime because Sam wasn't ready to take over yet, and now that Sam's stepping up, Dean's going to be wallowing in emotional angst, misery, terror, etc. Dean's own skills at hunting and leading don't appear to figure into this season, because Sam has grown up, and now Dean has nothing to do.

If Dean's role hadn't been that of mentor and nursemaid, I'd think that Kripke would be talking about the two of them having the equal partnership you mentioned. Instead, he's talking about Sam taking over and leading, which implies that Dean is now stepping down from some role that he was playing... and the roles I mentioned were the first ones that came to mind.

I hope that makes my feelings clearer, but it's okay if it doesn't. I'm not positing this as an argument, just as a personal reaction.

I seriously don't want more episodes of the boys having the same miserable, vaguely whiny conversations about how much their lives suck. IMO the show is so much more effective when they maintain elements of humor and adventure and let the poignancy emerge more naturally rather than wallowing in its own 'woe is me' and 'see, look at how much their lives SUCK' stuff that I feel we've already gotten too much of.

Yes! Exactly. If the boys' lives suck, we as the audience will recognize it and be all the more struck by it if they aren't wallowing in self-pity 24-7. In season one, I never would've expected Kripke to come out and say that we were going to have a whole third season full of angst. (Well, Sam still gets to hunt and grow. Good for him.)

I can see why it would be frustrating, however, to go to a board and see that everyone has decided to hate on an idea that hasn't even fully gestated yet.

What board? Who's everyone? With the spoiler thing, my feeling is that I wish it could be "live and let live". Unspoiled people are happy. Spoiled people are happy. No one's looking down on anyone else.

Edited by aithne414, Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:37 PM.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:37 PM

I wish Kripke understood that. His stance on spoilers makes no sense whatsoever. He likes them, as long as they're received with uncritical mindless adoration, but if someone thinks, "Hey wait, that sounds lame" then you're prejudging? You don't get to have it both ways, dude.

I don't think he meant his comment in terms of fans who are happy about spoilers being okay and those who are aren't being terrible. I think it has to do with the way that the dislike is being phrased. There's a big difference between, "Wow, that sounds shitty, but I'll have to wait and see how it plays out" and "What are they thinking?! They're gonna ruin the show!" Some people are taking the former approach, but a large number are also phrasing their dislike as statements of fact, and I think that's what bothers him.

I don't expect the guy to be unbiased about it, either. I'm sure logically he could admit that a fan making up their mind that something it going to be wonderful is the same as deciding it's going to suck in terms of preconceived expectations, but I think he's understandably more concerned about the idea that people are making up their minds that something is going to be horrible and ruin the show before any of it airs. If everyone was just saying, "Eh, if that plays out the way I fear it will, I will be violently ill, but I'll wait to judge for sure until it airs," that's one thing. But I've seen a pretty hefty dose of, "Rubella are going to be Buffy clones," "Rubella are going to ruin the show," "I know I'm going to hate Rubella," "Dean is going to be relegated to passive role," and so on, repeated ad nauseam (and I've probably voiced my own fair share of similar concerns). Which basically means he's seeing a lot of people say, "I don't like this now, and I never will" before they've seen a single frame. Which is their right, but I can understand why it upsets him.

The above isn't intended to be boards on boards, but just saying that all negative fan reactions aren't the same (no matter where those reactions are being voiced), and I think he's having an understandably negative reaction to a certain type of fan reaction to spoilers.

Edited by Jubi, Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:38 PM.

Sacha

Sacha

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:43 PM

"Jared and Jensen deserve the lion share of the credit for developing their characters. The producers only devise storylines and dialogue… But the guys are the ones who bring it all to life, who infuse the characters with charisma and humanity."

Am I to understand that Ackles sells the emotions and angst so well you all want to go full throttle "rich inner terrain" exploration? What about Padalecki? More commanding hero qualities? So Sam will be emerging as the Luke Skywalker you wanted him to be, but what about his "inner terrain"?

If the boys' lives suck, we as the audience will recognize it and be all the more struck by it if they aren't wallowing in self-pity 24-7.

Indeed.

Edited by Sacha, Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:43 PM.

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:44 PM

I agree with Jubi's sentiments. Honestly, from what I'm reading and seeing I think we're going to have a Dean who triumphs when all is said and done. It's not to the story's ultimate benefit to emasculate Dean. Dean will have to go through tons of shit to get to that point, but from my POV seeing a strong Sam who doesn't "need" him (but who loves him and seeks his company and advice because he wants to and not because of any emotional dependence on big brother) will be necessary for Dean to get back to the way he was, only this time without the false bravado. The physical bravery will be accompanied by true inner strength, but the journey has to be taken. If the end product is worth the journey it will have been worth it in terms of story. It's a matter of not screwing the pooch at the end from my POV. One final pooch screw seems to be an unfortunate symptom of a lot of programs these days. Rome comes to mind. *sob* Vorenus.

Edited by lilarose6, Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:45 PM.

Fate3

Fate3

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:53 PM

Wow, despite the fact that I kind of grinned like a loon cause they were new scenes of the boys and Jensen grinning like a loon makes me smile, those were actually fairly lame scenes in the Director's Cuts. Even Dean's jokes were...lame. Sam is kind of dour (though it was nice he was being nice about Dean having fun), I think I can say with 95% certainty we now know where the thumbs up scene of Dean's came from, and Bobby is freaking out but I don't feel his freak out (maybe cause it's out of the context of the episode, but I just don't get the villians they are facing being something Bobby would totally freak out over, you know?).

I don't know, it was just kind of...lame. But again, on the other hand, it was great to see Jensen and Jared together again playing Dean and Sam. So I'm just gonna focus on that part of my happy, and forget my WTH over the lameness of the actual scenes, LOL!

Edited by Fate3, Sep 28, 2007 @ 7:58 PM.

Arashi

Arashi

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:01 PM

those were actually fairly lame scenes in the Director's Cuts.

Yup, they were pretty unspectacular as scenes, very much exposition, but apart from right now seeming a bit overplayed - did Dean drink many sugary drinks? he seems quite hyper - I liked the general atmosphere of it.
I liked his attitude in the second one with the somber looks all around "we`re all gonna die" and Dean is like: "downers". *g*

Fate3

Fate3

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:07 PM

Yup, they were pretty unspectacular as scenes, very much exposition, but apart from right now seeming a bit overplayed - did Dean drink many sugary drinks? he seems quite hyper - I liked the general atmosphere of it.
I liked his attitude in the second one with the somber looks all around "we`re all gonna die" and Dean is like: "downers". *g*

LOL, that is true! It was such a bad impression though, and I didn't even get it until he said it, LOL! But then, I didn't see that movie either.

You're right, he is hyper, he even seems kind of manic in the episode. I don't know, kind of like he is trying too hard? I don't mean Jensen, I mean Dean, but then maybe he really is just wound up tight waiting for the war to happen and feeling on edge because you are waiting for the other shoe to drop, not to mention a little would up over the whole "going to hell in a year" thing.

They still seem kind of lame to me, but the boys are back, and I can't stop grinning about that, so maybe I'm the one who is really lame, LOL!

IntoTheSun

IntoTheSun

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:07 PM

Arashi I think Dean was a little high from another kind of "sugar". Which has me a completely lame fangirl in the gutter. Why, oh why, can't I be deep just once?

ScrappyTheOwl

ScrappyTheOwl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 8:23 PM

Dean's happiness is infectious; I may be over here with this big-ass grin in my face. I can't wipe it off, so don't ask. ;)

but then maybe he really is just wound up tight waiting for the war to happen and feeling on edge because you are waiting for the other shoe to drop, not to mention a little would up over the whole "going to hell in a year" thing.

Yeah. That's totally Dean - masking the big issues underneath with what he pastes onto the exterior. ;) Oh, Dean.

Soda21

Soda21

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 9:01 PM

It was such a bad impression though, and I didn't even get it until he said it, LOL! But then, I didn't see that movie either.

I've probably seen that movie four or five times, and I didn't get it right away either. I laughed out loud once I did, though.

Bobby is freaking out but I don't feel his freak out

Bobby did seem a little off, I agree. I'll wait 'til I see the whole episode before I dis Jim Beaver though (if I could ever bring myself to do such a thing). I'm just happy to see new Sam and Dean (and Bobby!). New director's cuts even overshadow the giddiness that came over me a few days ago when my DVR showed SPN on the "Scheduled to Record" list.

ScrappyTheOwl

ScrappyTheOwl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2007 @ 9:25 PM

You know what's always weird/awkward to me about Director's Cuts? How there's no music. I guess that's why they have the name they do, though. :P The finished product always feels so different with the score ...

faninohio

faninohio

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 9:52 AM

Dean's happiness is infectious; I may be over here with this big-ass grin in my face.

Ditto. And that "What's in the booooooox???" line cracked me the fuck up. I'm still giggling about it.

Lida

Lida

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 10:22 AM

Ditto. And that "What's in the booooooox???" line cracked me the fuck up. I'm still giggling about it.

I agree. His quick reference to Se7en was all Dean there and I couldn't find fault with that scene.

Lemmypie

Lemmypie

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 11:07 AM

As soon as Dean let go with that line I was all.... "NO! I HATE that movie."
But still laughed because it was so ill timed and the reaction of everyone else.

Fary

Fary

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 1:23 PM

I got the impression right away and, not gonna lie, laughed my fecking ass off. I love Se7en anyway and figured we'd get a reference when I saw this episode's title. And also: I have no willpower.

Livy1213

Livy1213

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 1:36 PM

I knew that footage of the Impala going over the hill was new!

Starflower

Starflower

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 3:18 PM

Watched the two director's cuts and as my fear for the season concerns Rubella I was relieved they weren't in it. Other than that I thought the first clip with the brothers in the car was interesting and nicely, subtley played by Jensen and Jared - lots of layers to do with their current situation going on between them. They play those beats like second nature.

The clip with Bobby was a bit strange, mostly because Dean clearly is even more manic when in the company of other people than his brother, and again I thought that was interesting. It's so great to see the boys ...

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Barnes

TWoP Moderator

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 6:58 PM

• Please use this thread for linking to and light discussion of articles, and other Supernatural media.
  • If you want to discuss or analyze something at length, please take it to the appropriate discussion thread, instead.

***NEW RULE as of September 2010:
  • You can link to first-party promos/ads in here, but please don't discuss them. If you're not spoiled, you may link to and discuss first party promos in the Unspoiled Speculation thread.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Sep 15, 2010 @ 5:19 AM.

Shotgun9

Shotgun9

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 9:46 PM

"What's in the booooooox???"

I didn't get the Se7en reference until Dean spelled it out. My brain went here.

This article from MediaLife has been floating around. I'm not really sure if the reviewer is watching the same CW network that I am. His point about the male leads is confusing, too. Sam and Dean are... what exactly, then? *eyeroll*

Livy1213

Livy1213

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 9:51 PM

I'm sorry, but did he just call Reaper a drama and Supernatural a mediocre drama?

lilarose6

lilarose6

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 9:52 PM

If it's written by a Kevin Downey, it's probably a diss on Supernatural on principle. He doesn't like SPN or Smallville.

Kethry1313

Kethry1313

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 9:53 PM

I'm sorry, but did he just call Reaper a drama and Supernatural a mediocre drama?

Not only that, but a mediocre drama past it's prime. I don't get it.

Edited by Kethry1313, Sep 29, 2007 @ 9:54 PM.

Livy1213

Livy1213

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 10:01 PM

It sounds like to me he just dislikes Smallville and because Smallville is Supernatural's lead it he just grouped them together without having ever seen SPN or knowing anything about it. That's my theory.

Edited by Livy1213, Sep 29, 2007 @ 10:01 PM.

Zero Hour

Zero Hour

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2007 @ 10:14 PM

That Media Life article was pretty dumb. As much as I hate Smallville it's a little stupid to criticize the show when it has so far done way better in the ratings than both of the CW's highly advertised new shows. Nor do I think the prospect of the CW's ratings remaining flat should be seen as a good thing.This guy has more spin trying to justify a struggling network that doesn't understand its audience than a CW press release. As for Supernatural, there's a good chance it will do better than both Gossip Girl and Reaper in a much more competitive time slot this week despite barely any advertising, suggesting the network doesn't know its audience at all.

scoti jo

scoti jo

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2007 @ 9:48 PM

I was too busy laughing at the "No...who?" line to care.

rainar

rainar

Posted Sep 30, 2007 @ 10:24 PM

That Medialife article was one of the stupidest takes on the new fall season I've seen so far. As far as I know, both Smallville and Supernatural, not to mention Friday night wrestling, all target, at least somewhat the young male demo. As far as the implied comparison in which Reaper is seen as a better show than Supernatural? While I didn't mind Reaper, I was kinda bored. When I watched the pilot of Supernatural, on the other hand, I was hooked. I hope for the sake of the network that Reaper and Gossip Girl both do well this season, but the tone of dismissal the author of this article took towards the CW's established shows was unwarranted... I'm not a fan of Smallville, for instance, but it is by far the highest rated scripted show they've got. And Supernatural has been a steady performer for them in the timeslot of death. Oh, and I seem to recall some pretty nice critical praise about SN over the past two seasons. In short, it sounded like the author didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

LostinFlight

LostinFlight

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2007 @ 8:16 AM

Not only that, but a mediocre drama past it's prime.

I am speechless, because I bet this guy dosen't even watch the show.