Nina Garcia: Elle on Earth

• Please log in to reply

341 replies to this topic

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 11:47 AM

It seems to me that the birth of a child or adoption of a child is not just a private matter for the mother but also a private matter for the child and something a mother might like to keep private for the child's sake if not her own.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 12:00 PM

I think some things should remain private, because they're just not our concern. Or our business. YMMV.

I think Nina looks pretty great and she has such a good smile. She also looks at the designs as how they would translate to a person seeing them in print. That does give her a different take than Michael Kors and Heidi.

Edited by rulesoftravel, Aug 27, 2010 @ 12:02 PM.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 12:53 PM

Nina is fabulous not because she is blessed with natural beauty but because she is fabulous from the inside out. To me she has an approachable appeal whereas Heidi is so stunningly beautiful that she seems not quite human.

JediDVguy

JediDVguy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 2:08 PM

Nina: This looks cheap and ugly. Like something that a Guatemalan would make.
Valerie: Um. I am Guatemalan.
Nina: ...Just kidding!

Bitch.

Edited by JediDVguy, Sep 25, 2010 @ 2:09 PM.

Skelley

Skelley

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 6:43 PM

That's not what she said.
She said it looked like a pageant dress that Miss Guatemala would wear. That might still be bitchy, but to me it doesn't sound nearly as nasty. Most pageant dresses are kind of tacky, and that shoulder thing looked like it would fit right in.

Does anyone know where Nina is from? I detect an accent, but that's as much as I can say.

Vian

Vian

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2010 @ 8:15 PM

Nina is originally from Colombia, although she graduated from high school and college in the US. (And OMG, her birth name is Ninotchka? How cute!)

I agree with Skelley that her comment wasn't _as_ insulting as that, but she still dissed Guatemala by invoking it in an insult, rather than making a generic insult to pageant gowns of all countries. In his MyLifetime blog, Nick Verreos issues a call to arms to the Guatemalan audience:

Now, may I just say, I made one little comment about "looking like a pre–Cold War Polish secretary" back in Season 6 when I was a guest judge and got about 10,000 e-mails from everyone and their Polish grandma. I sure hope that every Guatemalan e-mails Miss Nina and is as mean to her as those people of Polish descent were to me. Just sayin'.

JediDVguy

JediDVguy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2010 @ 11:00 AM

That's not what she said.
She said it looked like a pageant dress that Miss Guatemala would wear. That might still be bitchy, but to me it doesn't sound nearly as nasty. Most pageant dresses are kind of tacky, and that shoulder thing looked like it would fit right in.

I think that was the idea she was going for, though. Why couldn't she stop at "It looks like a pageant dress"? The Guatemala reference suggests that she believes their fashion is somehow tackier than most. What a stupid, ignorant woman.

grasshoppergirl

grasshoppergirl

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 1, 2011 @ 10:49 AM

Is it just me, or did Nina's face look different during the first part (casting the final designers) of the premiere of PR? Her face (especially her nose and mouth) looked very different to me.

anonymiss

anonymiss

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 3:24 AM

So painful watching her read from the teleprompter for the Oscars. Tim was cringing and trying to save her. She is not good at hosting at all (this is visible just from PR and any scene where she isn't critiquing--which she isn't any good at anymore, either).

itb57

itb57

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 4, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

Looks like Miss Nina is not one of the 99%!

My link

itb57

itb57

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 12:37 AM

Just found this....looks like Nina Garcia has her own (costume) jewellery line. Most of it is just 'meh' but there's a few good-looking pieces.

Nina's Jewellery

I know it's getting down to the final showings, but maybe something different to look at?

SisterSpoon

SisterSpoon

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

Heidi called her "Meana" in this week's episode.