Nitpicking Grey's: Just Drive from Vancouver

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1095 replies to this topic

kurtz

kurtz

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 12:36 PM

This is my understanding from my dad's surgical training/career. Fellowships aren't required to be an attending. After the surgical residency is completed, a fellowship allows for more intense study in a surgical specialty. IIRC, Bailey is a general surgeon, so it's not a big deal that she declined the peds fellowship. Of course, this is Shondaland, after all, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

Is she an attending now?

Yes, Bailey is an attending. From what the show has depicted a doctor can be an attending in General Surgery without a fellowship, which is further training in specialized surgical areas.

When he says the seven years, he means five years of residency plus two years of fellowship

I think the show just changed their mind about the length of residency. I don't see why he would include fellowship time with the "7 years of residency" comment because - a) some would be general surgeons and wouldn't pursue a fellowship, b) (to the best of my knowledge) not all fellowships are 2 years and c) its likely the majority would not do their fellowship at SGH. Richard was even having a dinner to commemorate the end of their 5 year residency.

IMO they played with time after the show became a hit. Bailey was looking at fellowships (so presumably in her final year) when she discovered she was pregnant in S2. Then in a later season Bailey is vying for Chief Resident and was somehow 5th year. They had 2 Halloweens during the same residency year (2 different seasons). There's just so many examples of time being completely effed up.

nina rose

nina rose

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 2:27 PM

The time line has definitely no line.

I am just wondering if they ever mentioned Bailey and the boards. I remember the chief saying something about her becoming attending (as she was thinking about pediatrics) and saying that it was up to the boards (?). It was such a big deal this last season, I wonder if it was the same for Bailey (or Callie - she is also an attending now right?)

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I remember the chief saying something about her becoming attending (as she was thinking about pediatrics) and saying that it was up to the boards (?).

I think it meant a decision from the hospital's board (or that is what I understood) in order to get an Attending position in SGHMW, not to pass her board test as the resident just did. There was no mention of Callie's board tests either. Since Callie & Bailey are "secondary" characters, didn't surprise me it wasn't that big of a deal.

lucinders

lucinders

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 6:54 AM

Please see link from the American College of Surgeons, which states general surgery residencies are usually five years. It also states the number of years required afterwards for specializations.

For example, Cristina's specialty is thoracic surgery, which requires five years of general surgical residency plus two more years. Alex's specialty is peds, which also requires five years of general surgical residency plus two years fellowship. Meredith is general surgery so she is qualified as a general surgeon, having completed five years residency and passing her general surgery boards. This is why Bailey also did not need a fellowship, as she was also qualified as a general surgeon.

As for Callie not doing a fellowship, apparently, she did not need to. All she needed was one year in a broadly-based, patient-related program, plus four in orthopaedic surgery, which apparently what she was doing. From the time we have seen Callie in her fourth year of residency, she was already doing only ortho.

http://www.facs.org/...ts/answer2.html

Edited by lucinders, May 30, 2012 @ 7:06 AM.

nina rose

nina rose

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

Thanks lucinders

I was wondering why we didn't see Bailey's (and Callie's) transition from resident to attending (maybe I haven't watched the episode yet).

As AnitaMC86, maybe because they are "secondary" characters. I think this show has way too many characters and I dislike most of them (if the "main" characters are Christina, Meredith and Alex, I really hate them!).

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:05 AM

I hope that you don't take this as a criticism, I am genuinely curious, why you spend time watching a show that you so clearly dislike?

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:13 AM

Bailey was looking at fellowships (so presumably in her final year) when she discovered she was pregnant in S2. Then in a later season Bailey is vying for Chief Resident and was somehow 5th year.

I can fanwank this by comparing it to, say college applications. Most students apply to college in their junior year, the penultimate year of their high school career. So I can believe residents applying for fellowships in their penultimate 4th year. If not applying, certainly putting their feelers out, finding out what qualifications and requirements were needed, getting applications/resumes/references together. Not to mention, after seeing little Mandy Bailey, I wouldn't be surprised if she was super on top of things trying to get a leg up on competitors for fellowship positions.

nina rose

nina rose

Channel Surfer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

I hope that you don't take this as a criticism, I am genuinely curious, why you spend time watching a show that you so clearly dislike?

That's a fair criticism!

I watched a couple of episodes, I think they were reruns from a recent season and the number of characters, the interactions between them made me curious. It was confusing how it seems everyone was somewhat related, by blood, marriage or sex to everyone else. I had some time off and I decided to start watching from season 1. I finished season 5 and I more or less followed the last episodes of the last season.

What I saw is that really don't like the show, I really don't like how Shonda thinks and I really don't like most of the characters, although I like Callie a lot, I like Callie + Arizona and I like Owen. But I want to watch the missing seasons, although I don't' think I will be back for the next season.

I also watched Private Practice (for Benjamin Bratt, the show is even worse than GA, imo) and one of the episodes was a cross over. I got even more curious.

So my curiosity (obsession?) about the characters, the fact that I had some time off (a few not consecutive hours throughout the day, for a few days) and the availability of the DVD's at the library (I would not pay to watch this show) made me want to watch the show, if for no other reason than coming here to criticize.

drwyatt

drwyatt

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 30, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

I'm glad you took my question in the spirit it was intended. I can't sit through something, no matter how popular or talked about it might be, if I'm not enjoying it or worse, if I think it's godawful.

nina rose

nina rose

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 4:32 PM

I finished watching season 6. About the shooting episodes: Seattle is in very bad shape if their SWAT elite shooters are that bad! The guy is about to shoot Lexie, the sniper shoots him and misses?
Before that the crazy husband is about to shoot Derek again to end it all, he sees the SWAT team coming in - not in the same floor, they haven't seen him yet, and he balks? In that mental state he would just shoot Derek and run.

I also noticed that Derek is shot on his left side but When Christina has her hands inside him, trying to find the bullet, she is "searching" it more to the right side. But I am not a doctor and I could be totally mistaken.

The elevators were not working but Owen and Teddy managed to get the surgery guy out. I don't think the surgical floor is in the ground floor. That was a bit strange.

Meredith had a miscarriage and was up on her feet looking too well. I have family members who miscarried and they were not able to just walk around in just a few hours later - I am assuming it took a few hours for Derek to wake up and call for Meredith.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Meredith had a miscarriage and was up on her feet looking too well. I have family members who miscarried and they were not able to just walk around in just a few hours later

I have personally had a miscarriage and yup. I was walking right afterward. But Meredith like myself was barely pregnant. I was about 8-10 weeks along. Meredith had only found that she was preggers at the begining of the ep. So she was maybe 4-6 weeks? So I had no problem with that.

nina rose

nina rose

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

have personally had a miscarriage and yup. I was walking right afterward. But Meredith like myself was barely pregnant. I was about 8-10 weeks along. Meredith had only found that she was preggers at the begining of the ep. So she was maybe 4-6 weeks? So I had no problem with that.

I never thought that would be possible. Learning a little more every day. You must be a strong woman!

mightybigpiperfan

mightybigpiperfan

Fanatic

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

Two little nitpicks from the first season.
The first is in "Save Me" when Izzie is making cupcakes. Coconut is a distinctive enough flavor that Izzie, being the baker she is portrayed to be, should have been able to pick up on it- maybe not exact amounts. She knew the recipe well enough to get the rest of the cupcake right.
The other one in a mispronunciation by Christina in "Who's Zoomin' Who?". She says the unauthorized autopsy patient died of "hematomachrosis", when the disease is "hemachromatosis".

Stupid little things. I'll get back to more important thingss now.

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 30, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

The other one in a mispronunciation by Christina in "Who's Zoomin' Who?". She says the unauthorized autopsy patient died of "hematomachrosis", when the disease is "hemachromatosis".

That's always bugged me too! I just assumed that SO mispronounced the word, and they decided to go with it rather than shoot another take. But I've seen that episode several times, and it bugs me every time.

violet1024

violet1024

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 31, 2012 @ 4:48 AM

I would think physiatry and PT/OT would be involved in Arizona's case sooner. Rehabilitation is a team approach, and includes more than just a prosthetist.