The Divine Tim Gunn: Don't Defend the Shoe

• Please log in to reply

1683 replies to this topic

caitmcg

caitmcg

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2011 @ 2:30 PM

Eh, I doubt the producer credit gives him much say. I'd bet it's a pay-grade issue.

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

Posted Nov 30, 2011 @ 2:28 PM

BPR has a new interview with Tim. Answers are very short and to the point.

BPR: Tim, will you rank the season 9 finalists in the order that you believe they should have finished?

TG: Viktor, Kimberly, Josh, Anya

Jon N

Jon N

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:53 AM

It was so obvious that's how they should have ranked too, glaringly obvious. Even Stevie Wonder would rank them like that. Well thank goodness, he said he will be with PR until the very end, at least that's enjoyable.

Oldernotwiser

Oldernotwiser

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2011 @ 12:13 PM

In a way, I find that reassuring. I was afraid Tim had gone over to the dark (aka insane) side and agreed with the batshit crazy judges.

I hope he's getting paid extraordinarily well, because he's the only reason to watch this show after the last two godawful seasons of drech.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Jan 6, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

From the All Stars premier thread:

But why is [Tim Gunn] partnering with Weight Watchers? He doesn't look like he needs to lose weight...

I doubt very seriously it will be about him losing weight. He spends a good deal of time telling women, no matter how successful they may be, that they're not good enough if they don't fit into the proper "feminine" box. I feel fairly certain that's why he's partnering with Weight Watchers. What better way to lecture women on how they need to fix themselves to be more acceptable than telling them they're too fat?

BittyMonkey

BittyMonkey

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

I doubt very seriously it will be about him losing weight. He spends a good deal of time telling women, no matter how successful they may be, that they're not good enough if they don't fit into the proper "feminine" box. I feel fairly certain that's why he's partnering with Weight Watchers. What better way to lecture women on how they need to fix themselves to be more acceptable than telling them they're too fat?

I'm pretty sensitive to men telling women how to be in their bodies and I honestly don't get this from him at all.

I think the WW thing might be more related to 'before' and 'after' - when women lose lots of weight they sometimes are very uncertain how to dress. He used to do the Biggest Loser makeovers before that show just became unwatchable and he had a relationship with Macy's (he still might, I don't know). This is probably just a continuation of that niche.

larapu2000

larapu2000

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2012 @ 7:51 PM

I took his comments about Hillary as meaning that she's an attractive woman, and could dress in a way that would make her look incredible, and she doesn't. Maybe I read the quote wrong.

I think Tim Gunn wants everyone to look beautiful and fabulous, and I think that shows his passion for the work he does in fashion.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 4:01 PM

Sad news for Tim Gunn acolytes: His daytime show, The Revolution, has been cancelled, effective July, to make room for the upcoming talk show for Perky Katie Couric.

I wasn't crazy about the show as a whole, but Tim is always, always worth watching. Hope that if he gets another job for the 'between Runway seasons' period, it's a better one and succeeds.

beaglelove

beaglelove

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 19, 2012 @ 5:12 PM

I am so excited for the new season just for Tim Gunn! I'm watching a rerun of the season with Anya. I LOVE the look on Tim's face as he visits the finalists in their studios. Can't describe it but the look he has when he is shocked at their work or lack of. You see the wheels turning as he comes up with a diplomatic way to say "Your in deep shit this stuff sucks!" I love Tim Gunn!!!

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Aug 30, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

New interview with Tim:
http://blog.zap2it.c...blem-child.html

peanutbunny

peanutbunny

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 31, 2012 @ 12:38 PM

I was looking (hoping) for something substantial - maybe even some questions regarding Ven, but that was dull, dull, dull. Nothing we haven't read/heard a thousand times in interviews with Tim.

baileyisland

baileyisland

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 8, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

i'm a tim fan as well, love the timbre of his voice. and love how he avoids feeding the bitter squabbles between designers.
but i think dimitry took the high road the other night when his original design of a layered pencil skirt (i cannot phrase this correctly -- i know no designer lingo) was dissed by tim and therefore shunned by his project partners and not included in the team's competition entries. the replacement skirt, a simple, longer, fuller unimaginative one, was roundly criticized by all the judges who thought dimitry had fallen down in his performance by designing and submitting such a lackluster skirt. at no time did dimitry defend himself by saying that tim's original comment was what resulted in the original skirt being rejected by his team.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

but i think dimitry took the high road the other night when his original design of a layered pencil skirt (i cannot phrase this correctly -- i know no designer lingo) was dissed by tim and therefore shunned by his project partners and not included in the team's competition entries. the replacement skirt, a simple, longer, fuller unimaginative one, was roundly criticized by all the judges who thought dimitry had fallen down in his performance by designing and submitting such a lackluster skirt. at no time did dimitry defend himself by saying that tim's original comment was what resulted in the original skirt being rejected by his team.

That was Ven. I don't blame Tim. All Tim did was express concern that the skirt didn't fit with the other pieces of the collection. That did not mean he had to make the ugly skirt he did make, rather make a skirt that fit in better with the collection. the other option the team had was to rework the pieces into a more cohesive collection. The failure was not Tim's advice, but their collaborative efforts as a team.

ratgirlagogo

ratgirlagogo

Fanatic

Posted Sep 15, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

Not that I had ever given it much thought, but if you had ever asked me I would have guessed that Tim Gunn didn't have a lot of personal experience with menstrual pads. Now that I know that he apparently thinks they're stiffly pleated fans I can see that I guessed correctly.

iguessnot

iguessnot

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

That was Ven. I don't blame Tim. All Tim did was express concern that the skirt didn't fit with the other pieces of the collection. That did not mean he had to make the ugly skirt he did make, rather make a skirt that fit in better with the collection. the other option the team had was to rework the pieces into a more cohesive collection. The failure was not Tim's advice, but their collaborative efforts as a team

Now that I think about it, Tim criticized Ven's outfits for not fitting in with the team while having no problem with the other team pieces. Did Tim ever criticize their cheap fabrics or that awful coat of Fabio's? Maybe at that stage Tim couldn't see the impending disaster, but if only Ven was singled out as having problem garments, the others would feel no need to rework their garments.

I wonder if the other two's approval of Ven's hot mess of a skirt was subtle sabotage.

InnerCanuck

InnerCanuck

Stalker

Posted Sep 20, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Elle Decor has Tim in their October issue with his "12 Things I Can't Live Without" - had given up on ED when they put Sandra Lee on the cover a couple of months ago, but may win me back with this! The print edition mentioned a Tim Gunn "Barbie" doll but that nugget doesn't seem to be in the online version...

Edited by InnerCanuck, Sep 20, 2012 @ 8:30 PM.

morgankobi

morgankobi

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 2:41 AM

There are Tim Gunn Barbie outfits at Target-saw them last weekend in the store. One example here.

Also heard Tim's voice today in an ad for a movie on Disney Junior titled "Sophia the First." He's voicing a butler/steward.

ETA: Tim Gunn the Grouch!

Edited by morgankobi, Oct 2, 2012 @ 5:09 PM.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2012 @ 11:06 AM

Tim made me cry last night when he cried for Dmitry. Tim's just awesome. I often look to how he says good bye to people to determine if their edit was truth or not.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 4:07 AM

Me too. When Tim Gunn gets emotional about the contestants, I cut them some slack because I trust Tim's judgment. When he got teary about Dmitry winning, I thought awwwww. I love when Tim gets attached to the designers.

Raspberry2012

Raspberry2012

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 21, 2012 @ 5:16 AM

That was the sweetest thing, wasn't it? I got all misty when he started crying for Dmitry! Tim also later tweeted that yes, those were real tears, and that Dmitry is a lovely person and a sweet guy. I love when Tim get attached to the contestants!

I love that he's the one constant you can always count on in this series - he said in an interview that he be doing this show no matter how old he gets, "from a wheelchair or in an iron lung", LOL!

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Oct 24, 2012 @ 5:36 PM

And you know it would be a stylish, classic and impeccably fitted iron lung!

I'm going to miss "Uncle Tim" (tm Sonjia). That's one of the few things I don't like about the "All Stars" team - much as I like Joanna Coles, PR isn't the same without Tim Gunn!

Vermicious Knid

Vermicious Knid

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 1:05 AM

Tim's a cartoon! And the character's name is a vocabulary lesson as well.

nicenessness

nicenessness

Stalker

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

I am not ashamed to say that I watched it and loved it. Tim was fabulous (as if that needed to be said.)

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

The look on Tim's face as the designers applauded his first entrance into the workroom was priceless. He really doesn't know how much he's loved, does he?

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 8:56 AM

Tim Gunn is awesome, classy, inspirational and gentlemanly, IMHO. He is also now an Emmy winner! He and Heidi took the award for Outstanding Competitive Reality Host at last night's Creative Arts Emmy presentation (in other words, the awards they don't want to present the following week on live tv, though this category has been presented live before, usually to Jeff Probst, though last year the marvelous Tom Bergeron got it for DWTS!)

I would have loved to have heard or read his speech.

jmhm

jmhm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2013 @ 6:05 PM

I think he must have been a very good teacher. 

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 10:32 AM

I'm reading his book Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible - a history of 'the clothes you have in your closet' with a lot of emphasis on American designers, because he thinks America's impact on fashion since World War II has been highly underrated (I agree). It's a wonderful book, filled with information, advice and humor. Reading it. I can actually hear his voice in my head. And I agree that he must have been - and still is, in a different set of venues, an excellent teacher.

Highly recommended.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2013 @ 7:06 PM

I would have loved to have heard or read his speech.

FXX will be airing the Creative Arts Emmys Saturday (go to FXX.com to find the channel number) - it's an edited version, so if Tim gave a speech, I sure hope they don't cut it!

SusanG

SusanG

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2013 @ 10:55 PM

'Project Runway': A Season Of Tim Gunn Faces

Made me giggle a lot.

bodielovesbetty

bodielovesbetty

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 26, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

Just MHO, YMMV:

Tim's indignation regarding the suggestion of producer or judging manipulation make him look either naive to the point of stupidity, or deliberately disingenuous.

Producer manipulation is evident in every episode, in the questions they ask for talking heads, to the editing, to the disclaimer in the credits.  And it begins with the casting.  Isn't Tim involved in casting?  Does he ever wonder why some of these people are cast?  He can't seriously believe they are all great designers, better than all the others vying for a spot.

The most obvious judging manipulation was Anya, IMO.  Her mini-collection had some of the ugliest, poorly made  garments ever seen on PR in 10 seasons put together.  Yet it was deemed an acceptable example of someone worthy of showing at Fashion Week.  Tim even called the judges' decision in that case "wise."  Did he really think Anya's mini-collection was acceptable? If so, I question his judgment. 

I think Kenley and Santino both had the worst entries in the last two challenges of their seasons, but I think the judges just wanted to see collections from them over the others.  To be honest, so did I (Santino mainly for the train wreck factor).  But I wish they'd be honest about it, or at least not deliberately dishonest.

Tim lost a lot of his divineness in S9, and S12 took off another layer. 

It doesn't help that his role as a mentor is getting more and more pointless with the make-whatever-you-want-and-hope-this-weeks-guest-judge-starlet-would-totally-wear-it type of challenges this show has become. 

Edited by bodielovesbetty, Oct 26, 2013 @ 3:20 PM.