The Divine Tim Gunn: Don't Defend the Shoe

• Please log in to reply

1683 replies to this topic

Bubbacat

Bubbacat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 1, 2005 @ 11:01 PM

I thought I'd jump in and open a thread about the Divine One, the lovely Tim. After all, he's the "real" star of PR. Make it work, everyone! Any verified (or even rumored) sightings of Tim would be extremely welcome.

Edited by Bubbacat, Nov 1, 2005 @ 11:04 PM.

ClarionGrad

ClarionGrad

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 1, 2005 @ 11:03 PM

LOL! Works for me.

Being easily amused is such a pleasure at times like these.

epogurl

epogurl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2005 @ 9:42 AM

Seriously, Tim is the best. My ideal show would involve removing Heidi and replacing her with a Tim/Jay tag team.

MaebyTonight

MaebyTonight

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 2, 2005 @ 3:08 PM

My ideal show would involve removing Heidi and replacing her with a Tim/Jay tag team.

Don't tease me, epogirl!

Mertseger

Mertseger

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 2, 2005 @ 4:43 PM

Eh, Jay's okay, but he has a long way to go before he grows into the awesomeness of Tim!.

OraBrooch

OraBrooch

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2005 @ 6:43 PM

I saw him several months back in midtown. He's even better looking in person. What a hot bitch.

Edited by OraBrooch, Nov 2, 2005 @ 7:58 PM.

suctionprints

suctionprints

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 7:45 AM

What a hot bitch.

LOL, but so true.

leisureboy

leisureboy

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 3, 2005 @ 2:31 PM

I like how he can be very polite, while at the same time indicating exactly what he thinks. I just happen to like articulate guys :)

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 2:50 PM

Attention All Contestants:

There's no real mystery to winning Project Runway. Quite simply, if Tim says it, do it. Don't try to do the Daniel double talk around him. If he says don't defend a dowdy shoe or put Bea Arthur "and then came Maude" pants under your gown, then listen to the man. It doesn't matter how many points the others score, he's the Golden Snitch of this Quidditch match. If you can capture him, you'll win this sucker.

OraBrooch

OraBrooch

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 3:08 PM

If you can capture him, you'll win this sucker. 

Exactly. Jay admitted as much at the reunion (which was before we found out he actually won the thing). Tim Gunn is always right. And he's a hot bitch.

Edited by OraBrooch, Nov 5, 2005 @ 3:08 PM.

Douggley

Douggley

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2005 @ 8:04 PM

And he's a hot bitch.

Ain't that the truth. The man is definitely doing something right.

Meghan Jill

Meghan Jill

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:00 PM

Tim made this show to me...really what set it apart from other reality shows. Imagine if George and Carolyn were Apprentice mentors instead of judges?

Well, the contestents would still be balls-out crazy. Never mind that Apprentice reference.

Anyhoo...Tim rocks.

Edited by Meghan Jill, Nov 7, 2005 @ 1:01 PM.

BenPanced

BenPanced

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 12:39 PM

I have to agree on several points:

1) Tim is teh hawt. He should smile more often, though.
2) Whenever Tim offers advice or criticism, accept it as fact. He obviously wants to help: he works at a fashion school and knows what he's talking about. He's an objective bystander, so stop defending the shoe. (Is that on a t-shirt yet?)
3) Tim? Rocks out. I want him for my TV boyfriend.

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 2:09 PM

My people! Nice to see my pals from the PR thread back in action.

One of the innummerable things I love and adore about Tim Gunn is that he genuinely wants all the competitors to do their best. He's not into throwing out a sound bite or making it all about how clever and insightful he is. He's no one's patsy. He is invested in everyone using his or her creativity and keeping the objective in mind. He doesn't play favorites, he doesn't hide it when he's aggravated, he gets right to the heart of the matter, and doesn't let anyone get away with anything. Sigh. I just love him.

girlnamedcarl

girlnamedcarl

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 3:04 PM

Yea!! Love for the Gunn. What all y'all said, and let me just add: the man's taste is impeccable. His judgement is always dead-on, he knows what works and what doesn't, and he can chew you out in a way that gets his point across but doesn't leave you crying.

Can we clone him?

rennysgirl

rennysgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 4:51 PM

2) Whenever Tim offers advice or criticism, accept it as fact. He obviously wants to help: he works at a fashion school and knows what he's talking about. He's an objective bystander, so stop defending the shoe. (Is that on a t-shirt yet?)

If I may, Sillymama, bring up your brilliant creativity yet again...

Don't Defend the Tee

RubyintheRough

RubyintheRough

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 8, 2005 @ 5:48 PM

Miss Alli's description of Tim Gunn, from her recap of the Postal Service episode:

Tim is like my island of sanity in a topsy-turvy universe. I'll put it this way: if Tim Gunn ran The Apprentice, he would fire everyone the first week, but he would do it nicely, and it wouldn't be because he didn't like you. It would just be because you suck, which he would tell you.

So. True.

WobblyHeadedBob

WobblyHeadedBob

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 12:33 AM

Where did you read that recap? 'Cause I thought TWOP only has a few up so far.

Sinatrafan

Sinatrafan

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 10:14 AM

They recapped it for the Katrina Relief fund, but you can find it at same Project Runway page as the others. And it rocks.

Remlab

Remlab

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 2:14 PM

I thought Miss Alli's recap was a winner of Tubey's Kids. Anyone know? Bueller?

Meghan Jill

Meghan Jill

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 9, 2005 @ 8:41 PM

You know why I love Tim? I just realized it myself...

In one episode--the Futuristic Line, I believe--Tim was trying to give some constructive criticism of what he thought needed improvement. Suddenly he just sort of shrugged and said, "Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they'll take a look at it and say they love it. But I don't think so."

Only real confidence can say something that allows for error, but stands his ground. Who else says ANYTHING like that?!

Bubbacat

Bubbacat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 10, 2005 @ 10:05 AM

I thought Miss Alli's recap was a winner of Tubey's Kids. Anyone know? Bueller?

Yep, it was a Tubey's Kids winner. A very enthusiastic group of PR fans put together a winning bid for the recap last summer. As I recall, we actually collected more money than was finally bid, and the excess was also donated to the charity for that month.

But regardless of how it can about, Miss Alli's recap is a "must" read.

honeybee111

honeybee111

Fanatic

Posted Nov 11, 2005 @ 11:22 AM

Last year, I was watching PR with my then boyfriend, who was totally disconnected from the fashion world. After observing two eppys of PR carefully, he said of Tim. "I can't think of a better person to run a design program. He seems like one of those rare perfect matches between person and job."

Wildcard28

Wildcard28

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:33 PM

This is not a criticism whatseover of Tim Gunn.. but he's is helped alot by the fact that he doesn't have to say anything or decide anything about the final decision for each episode. He can be objective as possilbe, have his favorites (possibly) and not be accused of deciding on one over the other - for the of sake drama. This gives him the freedom to say what he pleases.

Plus, he's a hot bitch. Anyone know if he's married? partnered? looking? (hope, hope)

Edited by Wildcard28, Nov 13, 2005 @ 11:24 PM.

SushiBoat

SushiBoat

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 7:17 PM

Another must: Tim's Take on PR's site.

Poppie

Poppie

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 21, 2005 @ 2:17 PM

I love the pictures of Tim on the PR Site. I think I will use the one of him with the big smile as my back drop. Sighhhh.

blushgoddess

blushgoddess

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 22, 2005 @ 6:01 PM

I love me some Tim. He can wear clothes like nobody's business. And I love when he visited the contestants, because he's this hot, talented, accomplished man, who is totally happy visiting Lehman, PA. He seems very genuine.

He's like a very hot, fashionable Yoda.

DuchessKitty

DuchessKitty

Fanatic

Posted Nov 22, 2005 @ 8:53 PM

He's like a very hot, fashionable Yoda.

Very true. I like the smile pic of him too Poppie.

Edited by DuchessKitty, Nov 23, 2005 @ 11:15 AM.

rennysgirl

rennysgirl

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2005 @ 11:24 AM

Gunn has been a vital part of the Parsons community for more than 22 years.

So sad he's only been a vital part of our lives for less than 2 years!!

Tim looks like a Priest on Bravo's PR site. Not sure I dig his choice of outfits.

kinkyprude

kinkyprude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 23, 2005 @ 1:08 PM

Tim is such the definition of "Silver Fox."