Dr. Miranda Bailey: "Let's move, people!"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

238 replies to this topic

dharma84

dharma84

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 10:18 AM

Ideally, Bailey would be CR and happily married but aparently you can't have it all on this show so I hope Bailey opts for love over profession.

I think it'll take a lot for her to give up the job, too, unless her personal life was really in jeopardy. Plus, I know people think it's ridiculous that no one can have it all on this show, but frankly, I've never seen anyone have it all, at least not all at once anyway. And if someone is really only home from midnight to 6am like Bailey's husband says she was, then I don't see how any marriage with a young child can survive under those conditions. Shonda said that the Chief was being sexist in his old school way of giving the job to Callie instead of Bailey. Maybe his reasons for doing so were, but the Chief did say during the fishing ep. that due to his work hours Adele didn't want raise a child on her own, which kind of seems like what Bailey's husband is doing now. Plus, I'm not saying that people can't have it all, it just depends with "all" is. Perhaps Bailey can be a surgeon and have a great marriage and raise her kid, but it's way more difficult to be a surgeon and chief resident, a successful marriage while raising such a young child. Maybe if her kid was older and needed less supervision, the situation would be different. But then again, even at the end of S3, Bailey's husband called before the mountain climber with the axe in his head showed up, and she told him then that she didn't have time for him, so perhaps this is not just a having it all thing, but a Bailey thing.

Edited by dharma84, Nov 28, 2007 @ 11:18 AM.

Foamy the Girl

Foamy the Girl

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 28, 2007 @ 9:03 PM

I'm just here to say that Bailey is my favorite character on TV followed by House who's folllowed by Christina. I read the recaps and suffer through all the vomiticiousness that is GIzzie and ALexie (only in recaps mind you) merely to read of the greatness that is Bailey. In my mind Bailey has it all and is able to keep it all because she's Bailey and she's my hero!

BTW I think Bailey was more of a combo between George (before the Callie & Izzie guck) and Christina when she was younger, slightly nervous and geeky but out to prove herself and willing to fight for what she deserves.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Nov 29, 2007 @ 10:41 PM

It appears that the chief was right on about the CR job. It is not for everyone. The job has already eaten Callie's lunch and now it's starting in on Bailey. Her husband doesn't appear to be cheating on her now, but a few more late nights at the hospital may change that situation.

I have a simple solution to this and it would help Bailey immensely. If the CR job is so difficult and takes so much away from the persons' life - did the Chief ever hear of job sharing??? Split the responsibilities and give it to TWO PEOPLE!

Scarlet0704

Scarlet0704

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 30, 2007 @ 6:34 AM

Who is Bailey these days? She cries. Now she's no longer going to be called the Nazi (and for understandable reasons given the last episode with the white supremicist). So who is she? Is she going to be stripped of her adult credentials and reduced to being a sniveling, immature teenager? God, I hope not. Bailey and her maturity and her calling people on their immaturity was one of the strengths of this show. I appreciate Shonda wanting to portray Bailey as not being one dimensional though, and so am watching with interest to see what she does with this character. Sadly, I'm not sure Shonda will be able to pull it off. Her touch these days is rather obvious and heavy handed.

I appreciate Shonda wanting to show the difficulties women face in acheiving a work-life balance, but if she's going down the path of having Bailey's marriage fall apart, I'll be really cross. Until now a veil has been drawn over Bailey's home life and we haven't been able to see how she's been juggling baby and career since she had little Tuck. This was a huge concern of hers as evidenced in her conversation with Cristina on the plane back from trying to collect a heart for Denny the first time (sigh, wish that heart would have worked out and we could have been spared the whole Denny/Izzie heart stealing romance, but that's another story!) In that scene, we see Bailey saying that she decided to have the baby because she realized, "I could do this."

So watching her try to do it is a good story, but if Shonda punishes her for trying to have it all by having her marriage fail, it misses the point and becomes yet one more example that no one is allowed to have a successful marriage on this show. Sure, marriages do fail over work-life balance issues on the part of both partners, with men as well as with women (there are lots of women who get divorced because their husbands work too much and aren't around and just now men are beginning to see how it is with the shoe on the other foot). That's not really a new story. What would be interesting is to see portrayed on the screen how women and men could do it. It would be inspiring and hopeful. Oh I forgot, this show is about misery and failure now. Sigh! I loved the days when Grey's occasionally emerged from irony and depression to show rays of hope and was inspiration without becoming all Polly Anna. It was believable and was one of the show's former strengths.

Edited by Scarlet0704, Nov 30, 2007 @ 6:38 AM.

dharma84

dharma84

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 12:52 AM

That's not really a new story. What would be interesting is to see portrayed on the screen how women and men could do it. It would be inspiring and hopeful.

It would be sad if spoilers were true that her baby is in danger, which may or may not be related to her marital problems. But I'm not against this or any more marital problems that arise from it, even if it leads to divorce. Plus I once read that there was supposed to be only one divorce (perhaps out of the potential three) so I don't think every marriage will fail. I admit I was a bit thrown when Bailey cried after getting Chief Resident, but otherwise I, too, have appreciated seeing a different side to Bailey, or any side for that matter since so little was shown last season. For me, it's not a matter of Grey's or any show giving me hope that women can have it all. But I thought it was interesting that when she was talking to Derek, Bailey seemed to define herself by being a successful married mother, chief resident, and surgeon. By all accounts, she seems to have it all. But what happens if she couldn't? How would Bailey define herself then, and where could this character get her strength? I've never seen anyone, male or female, in my life able to juggle as much as Bailey has, but people who have constantly had to take small steps, compromise, and sacrifice what they want in order to just succeed in sometimes just one thing or instead of everything so that one day they can have a balanced life. Maybe others have and that's why this storyline could be so frustrating. I wouldn't want Bailey to be a sniveling teen either. But I like characters who find strength not in having it all or being superwoman, but who have the strength to go on when they fail in having everything they want, and whatever the writers do to Bailey, I hope she ends up being a character who has more of the latter strength than the former since at least to me, it would be more realistic.

Edited by dharma84, Dec 6, 2007 @ 1:24 AM.

Scarlet0704

Scarlet0704

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2007 @ 4:50 AM

I wouldn't want Bailey to be a sniveling teen either. But I like characters who find strength not in having it all or being superwoman, but who have the strength to go on when they fail in having everything they want, and whatever the writers do to Bailey, I hope she ends up being a character who has more of the latter strength than the former since at least to me, it would be more realistic.

Very thoughtful post dharma84. I wonder if the writers have enough sensitivity and character of their own to demonstrate the latter strength. As you say, it is a more realistic one in terms of peoples' actual lives. But, I'm not sure the writers of this show has enough depth or maturity to pull it off. When listening to Shonda's squeecast about hating women who have it all, I abandoned any hope of maturity on the part of the writers/show runners. She actually said she hated women who had it all in that particular podcast (albeit laughingly with Betsey). So I don't have high hopes for her handling of Bailey. (That was also the last squeecast I ever listened to as I couldn't bear the self-congratulatory tone and self-absorption that came across).

I do hope she proves me wrong though as I would like to see the story you're suggesting about Bailey be told.

dharma84

dharma84

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 8, 2007 @ 5:29 PM

She actually said she hated women who had it all in that particular podcast (albeit laughingly with Betsey)

Oh, those podcasts. Sometimes they were interesting, but listening to them requires skipping at least 5 mins or more of their "witty" banter. But I liked Bailey's speech about vows in the last episode, which I thought showed that she wasn't deliberately choosing to ignore her husband, but that she thinks he should be as tirelessly dedicated to their marriage as she is to her job. In a sense, with her talk about vowing to save lives, she is married to her career, and therefore, the problems between Tucker and Bailey won't just be solved by Bailey spending less time in the hospital and more time at home.

One could argue, as Tucker seems to, that Bailey is constantly choosing her career over her family. But I don't think her choice will be as black and white as career vs. marriage or choosing to be a wife/mother vs. being a surgeon. Perhaps the writers are planning for Bailey to ultimately choose to spend less time at the hospital, and/or maybe they will have her find a way to balance her family life and her career. But as far as the story is developing, Bailey would be devastated if Tucker were to leave, but Bailey wouldn't be Bailey without dedicating herself to saving lives. Choosing to spend less time doing her job might make her feel like little by little she is divorcing herself from what she sees as one of if not the biggest purpose of her life. I could be wrong, but the choice might arguably boil down to Bailey choosing what (Tucker thinks) her family needs to stay together vs. choosing what she needs to keep herself together.

Finally, I thought it was interesting that George keeps getting involved, at times involuntarily, in the intimate details of Bailey's family life from the birth of her baby and her revealing to him the struggles of her own marriage to his uncomfortable role between Bailey and her husband's argument this last episode. I'm not sure if any other character has seen Bailey at her most vulnerable nor seen her through those vulnerable moments as often as George has. She's also been privy to some of George's most painful moments when his father passed. Also, they occasionally seem to have a mother/son relationship sort of similar to the father/daughter relationship the Chief and Meredith have. So I'm interested what role he'll play next if in episode 11 something tragic is supposed to happen to her son and/or her marriage.

belladionne

belladionne

Fanatic

Posted May 25, 2008 @ 9:31 PM

But why would a kid's nickname be his dad's actual name? And why would Tuck be a nickname for William or George?

This is all the way from like page 12, but I didn't see it resolved. IIRC, the baby is William like his daddy is William and for whatever reason, his daddy is called Tucker and that's why they call the baby Tucker, too. It pretty obviously has nothing to do with William so I think it's more of an action or face or something nickname? Like Bumper Robinson who got his name because he was always bumping into things? And yes, she has been consistent with calling him that since Addison's poison oak debacle.

Something that's been irking me since Lay Your Hands On Me, but I forgot about until I re-watched the ep a few minutes ago: why do Bailey and her hubby live in an apartment? You'd think that they would have enough money for at least a condo or something with her excellent job and all. Or maybe being a general surgeon resident juss doesn't pay as much as one would think it does. But then again, Burke had an apartment, too. But he was also single and no kids. I think had he stuck around, he wold have gotten a house or condo with Cristina. So again I'm left wondering why Bailey and Tucker have an apartment.

gimlet

gimlet

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2008 @ 4:35 AM

Speaking from experience, houses are a hell of a lot of work and a money and time sucking pit. Plus, Seattle Grace is in the city, and you'd want to be close to the hospital to eke out as much family or sleep time as possible. Apartment living makes sense. You'd want a house for space or schools, but if you're not there that much why buy what you don't need?

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2008 @ 7:42 PM

Were Bailey and her husband in an apartment or a house? For some reason I thought they were in a house/

belladionne

belladionne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2008 @ 9:24 PM

Gibraltariana, Tucker said, "I can't baby-proof every inch of that apartment and watch him at the same time!" in Lay Your Hands On Me.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2008 @ 8:48 PM

Thanks belladionne! I am hoping that Bailey is able to keep her career on track AND her marriage, although from what I have seen of Tucker he needs to change also. He knew a surgeon's life before they had little Tuck. I could see him getting frustrated with her additional activities though (Chief Resident and the Clinic), and it seems like Bailey knew to step away from one. However, with the actor who plays Tuck now on another show, any resolution to this I will have to give Shonda a pass on hearing instead of seeing.

greys1992

greys1992

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 1:40 PM

He knew a surgeon's life before they had little Tuck.

I agree. Bailey's husband knew exactly what being a surgeon meant so why he's complaining about it now is beyond me. But I do love Dr. Bailey and hope that she and her husband get back together real soon. After all, we need at least one stable relationship on this show.

belladionne

belladionne

Fanatic

Posted Jun 14, 2008 @ 1:36 PM

He knew a surgeon's life before they had little Tuck.

Word. This whole storyline of breaking up Bailey's marriage has bugged me from the beginning. How can he be cool with her missing Thanksgiving back in Season 2 and now not be cool with her doing her job? Hell, the man even let her do a consult for Addy the day he was being released from the hospital after his brain surgery. Like everyone else, I hope for a neatly wrapped-with-a-bow resolution of this storyline where Bailey keeps her marriage and her job, but I also hope that Shonda doesn't make this an instantaneous thing. Tucker has been a bit of a douche lately, and there needs to be some kind of character development there. Unfortunately, I think we'll be hearing more about it than seeing as has been said since Cress Williams is gonna be on Prison Break next season. But I'm still holding out hope of Bailey and Tucker going to see that therapist that Addy & Derek went to at least a couple of times. We didn't see any major therapy sessions, but we knew that they were going and that helped with the evolution of their story.

Crys

Crys

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2008 @ 10:02 AM

Bailey's husband knew exactly what being a surgeon meant so why he's complaining about it now is beyond me.

I kind of get where he was coming from though (I'm not saying he's without fault). Bailey was doing more than the usual surgeon job recently. We didn't know of any complaints on his part back in season 1/2 because Bailey was only doing her job as a surgeon back then and he seemed fine with that. It became apparent that she started putting in many more hours at the hospital when she set up the clinic and then also began her job as Chief Resident. By the end of the season, Bailey realized that she was doing way too much which is why she passed the clinic on to Izzie. Like this, she does what she loves best professionally (surgery and CR) and gets time to be with her family too. I'm glad things seem to be getting back on track for Bailey. I want her to have it all and to show that you can have it all - a career and a marriage/family.

Edited by Crys, Jun 15, 2008 @ 10:03 AM.

OHNicki

OHNicki

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2010 @ 11:43 AM

I love the new Bailey storyline with her starting to date. It is the less confident side of Bailey and is interesting character developement. Love the previews for next week when someone tells her the "everyone knows the 3rd date is the sex date".

Stefferdoos

Stefferdoos

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2010 @ 2:16 AM

So, Bailey's anesthesiologist. He's the "I'm on a horse" guy right?

number4

number4

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 12, 2010 @ 11:54 AM

So, Bailey's anesthesiologist. He's the "I'm on a horse" guy right?

Nope, completely different actor. Jason George is on Off the Map - Shonda Rimes new show.

The scenes last week with Bailey and the pathologist were great. Bailey needing an answer and trying not to stomp the coroner into little pieces. After the time Bailey and Mary spent together it is wrong they had her die that way since Bailey already knows people die for no reason.

And I would have liked to see her go through the trauma skills lab, maybe they could have shown her how to use a sheet or blanket to drag a body down stairs.

whainott

whainott

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 3:42 PM

Bailey should be drunk more often on the show. Many actors tend to exaggerate in those scenes, but CW played such a believable drunk.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=JaLAp268YV0

andtototoo

andtototoo

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 8:37 PM

CW rocked the last episode. She was one of the best drunks I've seen on TV. She's an outstanding actor and I miss them giving her fun stuff to do. I swear someone should make a music video of drunk bailey lol

Bridget1990

Bridget1990

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 10:06 AM

Bailey has became pathetic and cringe worthy to watch JIMO.

Edited by Bridget1990, Jan 2, 2011 @ 10:07 AM.

moonstruck10

moonstruck10

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

I don't see anything cringeworthy about Bailey, annoying when Shonda gives her those monologues where she's ranting and being negative. But I'm a viewer who can look past that and put the blame where it belongs which is not on the character but the writers, especially if I genuinely like the character. This is why NOTHING they EVER write for Cristina will ruin my love and loyalty to the character. I have my own vision and interpretation of how the actors have played the characters I love, I have a vision of Miranda Bailey and it's not some woman who walks around ranting all the time, nor is she someone who is always in control and knows it all either it's just that I disagree with how Shonda chooses to display all the facets of this character, so I just ignore it and hope for something better eventually.

So, I am looking foward to her relationship with this new guy, I like him a lot and I like their chemistry, and I'm sure I'll have to revert to my vision many times during this storyline because like all other couplings on this show their story will not be told any better nor any more completely, so I'll have to improvise in order to find some joy, satisfaction in it. But it does help that I see the chemistry, like the actors and I like Bailey.

Bridget1990

Bridget1990

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 5:35 PM

I wish they would lay off her ranting and making speeches and yelling this isn't attractive.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 8:31 PM

I am looking foward to her relationship with this new guy, I like him a lot and I like their chemistry

I'm looking forward to it also. Since Daniel Sunjata will be "appearing indefinitely" (according to EW) hopefully that will give the storyline a chance to play out for more than 2 or 3 episodes before he's gone. If he can show up here and there and be recurring perhaps the storyline will continue throughout the season.

AnitaMC

AnitaMC

Fanatic

Posted Jan 2, 2011 @ 9:25 PM

I am looking foward to her relationship with this new guy, I like him a lot and I like their chemistry

Count me in. I was skeptical given the "Ben Experiment", but I was pleasantly surprised with how it went last episode. Daniel Sunjata's character fits very well actually and I like him. I hope the writers lay off the speeches and the lectures a bit but all in all, I think that they are off to a good start.

I do want a bit of the old Nazi Bailey though. I miss her sometimes.

Bridget1990

Bridget1990

Fanatic

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 5:19 AM

They should pair Bailey with the chief at least he's a regular and isn't going anywhere just a thought :). I just don't think her character attractive for Ben sorry and by attractive I don't mean look wise but also personality wise JIMO.

leelooUK

leelooUK

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 2:27 PM

They should pair Bailey with the chief

I personally have thought about the pair idea about a million times because both of the actors really rock together. They have great chemistry. But eh bailry is sensational to me, she kind of deserves a nice, young and gorgeous new boyfriend!

Edited by leelooUK, Jan 3, 2011 @ 2:27 PM.

andtototoo

andtototoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2011 @ 11:08 PM

They should pair Bailey with the chief at least he's a regular and isn't going anywhere just a thought :)

Considering he's been a "father figure" to her since the first episode, that would be kind of creepy. That relationship is totally paternal in nature.

ITA. It will be interesting how this plays out. Personality wise, he's very different from boring Ben, so that's good.

I don't see anything cringeworthy about Bailey, annoying when Shonda gives her those monologues where she's ranting and being negative.

ITA. What is it with Shonda and the monologues? lol. But CW is such an outstanding actor, and Bailey is such a good character, that I overlook some of the more annoying ones. Some of my favorite moments over the years on this show have been Bailey moments.

Funkybeat

Funkybeat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

I'm actually kind of glad Bailey doesn't get a lot of screentime, as (and that's hard to do on a show like this) she is the most annoying character by far. Well okay, maybe she's not even close at this point (Callie? Lexie? The too-horny Arizona?), but for a while she was. Why are her words always so halting? Is that CW's acting style? Because if it is, and even if it won her an emmy, she needs to stop it. "I'm, busy, with... the tape... and ... the glue." I wanted to scream when she said all that to that skinny black man who was into her for some reason. Either she just thinks it makes her seem more intelligent to talk that way, or the character has a brain tumor and it's making her speech come out incorrectly. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, since this show is so realistic, and every OTHER doctor in the hospital has had brain surgery (because brain surgery is SO common to have).

OK, the truth is... I'm sick of this show. I've been sick of it since season 3, but there's something about it that makes you want to watch it, because it has so much potential, and always will. The truth is that Bailey was the voice of reason at the beginning, and she stopped being that for me, and I'm disappointed. She's as corny as the rest of them now, and it's just hard to take. Fix it, Ms. Chandra Wilson. Please.