Grey's Anatomy in the Media

• Please log in to reply

18896 replies to this topic

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I think people could still leave the hospital and return midseason for some reason and end up staying.

To think all the hype around the killing for just hype.

Unless Derek comes back next year like dead Denny and Mer has ghost sex with him till she's able to move on.

RysenSun

RysenSun

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 8:52 AM

Good News. 2 more seasons of PD. I might watch the finale now. I wasn't excited at all to watch Shonda kill him off.

I heard a theory on the dead person. I will post in the spoiler thread.

Edited by RysenSun, May 10, 2012 @ 8:56 AM.

jennatv1

jennatv1

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 10:54 AM

I'm actually disappointed that all of the major actors re-signed. It just means that the show is going to limp along like it has for the past 3 years one character sucking up all the screentime in an isolated storyline and no fresh shake-ups to re-invigorate the writers and the characters. If Teddy, April, Lexie or even Owen dies, so what? It isn't going to affect most of the characters that I am invested in other than Cristina and she has been on the same hamster wheel of angst for the past 2 seasons so her grief will be nothing new. And if it is Lexie, I am just not going to buy that Meredith is inconsolable.

In my opinion they've killed any chance of big finale numbers by releasing this information now as opposed to a week from Friday. There was potential for viewers who have left the show to return to see who dies given all the media coverage which has now evaporated.

I'm not surprised by ABC optioning for the second year. Grey's still performs well for the network and is still one of its top moneymakers. I do not see it happening but if the ratings dropped very low next season the network can still just pull the plug. The DH actresses all signed for 2 years then the show was canceled. The 2 year option keeps the actors if the network wants to continue but doesn't prevent them from ending the show if they choose to.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Looks like it's official PD just tweeted:

Patrick Dempsey
Looks like two more years on Grey's, love to know what people want to see happen?

Edited by ZenLizzy, May 10, 2012 @ 1:03 PM.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

The real question is: What are the buy-outs on those contracts? In other words, what is keeping them from announcing that they've signed all these people to these contracts to cover the fact that one of them WON'T be returning after the finale?

It'd be pretty slick if, for example, they signed Patrick Dempsey to a "two-year" contract with a $25,000 buy-out since Derek ends up biting it in the finale. I wouldn't put it past them to do something like that just to help keep things under wraps until the season ends.

I thought something similar. But more along the lines of how much would they have to pay an actor to go along with the announcement that they HAD signed if they actually hadn't? OR how many episodes they've signed for. 1 episode a season for 2 seasons? Throw in some flashbacks. I'm still not sold that contract renewal = not dying...

boa1962

boa1962

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

Patrick Dempsey Talks “Grey’s Anatomy,” Saving Lives, & Fighting Cancer With Carson Daly!

“It’s just so nice to have a job and it continues on as a wonderful thing, so, very grateful that it’s happening. You know, very happy to have all the negotiations done and to move forward and looking forward to another couple of years of the show.”

There's a audio clip too.

Gusto

Gusto

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

“It’s just so nice to have a job and it continues on as a wonderful thing, so, very grateful that it’s happening. You know, very happy to have all the negotiations done and to move forward and looking forward to another couple of years of the show.”

I absolutely love him for saying this. He seems very enthusiastic about his job now, that's a welcomed change in the attitude. Good for you Patrick!
Also, it's very sweet how he's being modest about saving the boy's life.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:14 PM

So now I am really not sure who it is. KMK tweeted that he is safe and not going anywhere, Jessica tweeted the same as did Sarah Drew. So that leaves: Lexie, Mark, Teddy and Callie! I doubt Callie is leaving without Arizona. And I can't see Mark and Lexie leaving. I say it's Teddy! Which to me is not that sad. I don't really like the character.

I see no reason for them to make up a lie about an actor renewing if they had not. And why resign an actor for two more years just to say"Oh now we want to kill you off?" That makes no sense. ABC won't comment on the contracts so I see no reason to think that PD is making this up! I have never heard an actor do that before.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:37 PM

Wrong thread

Edited by lovlylizzy, May 10, 2012 @ 5:38 PM.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 6:45 PM

Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes doesn’t want this article to torture fans. But it probably will. Of course, how could it not?
http://insidetv.ew.c...imes-interview/

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 9:51 PM

http://latimesblogs....e-and-more.html

ABC has renewed seven of its series: "Grey's Anatomy," "Revenge," "Once Upon a Time," "Suburgatory," "The Middle," "Modern Family" and "Castle."

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:36 PM

'Grey's Anatomy' star Jessica Capshaw puts spotlight on global maternal health care needs Article includes a PSA that Jessica filmed.

RysenSun

RysenSun

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 3:49 PM

From Entertainment Weekly Magazine

A terrible event leaves the doctors scrambling to save their colleagues and themselves. Let me guess. The return of Katherine Heigl

LOL

Edited by RysenSun, May 12, 2012 @ 3:49 PM.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:34 PM

What EXACTLY has Shonda said about the finale? I ask because she has been misquoted before, fans get upset and then she has to calm them down! Did she REALLY say the death would be the "heart and soul of the hospital?" because if so, that makes no sense. Since the originals are all coming back(Unless someone is playing a cruel joke) who could that be? I like Mark and Lexie but they are not considered the heart and soul of the hospital and neither is Owen, Jackson,Teddy or April. Then the media said "beloved" Character. But I am not sure she actually said that.

So what exactly were her words?

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 6:37 PM

Her exact words were "affects the heart and soul of a hospital."

You're right, she never said its a beloved character.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:04 PM

According to her interview she said "I did what was necessary" and I REALLY don't get that. If someone wanted out, then fine. But why was killing them "necessary"? That really makes no sense.

And according to the article she is not allowed to comment on contracts. So if she can't and ABC can't then they are not faking the fans. Because they didn't leak it! The actors are all confirming slowly that they are coming back. Though some have said nothing yet.

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:16 PM

I took it as "necessary" for the story to progress. How to keep everyone at Seattle when naturally they'd be moving on to Fellowships etc. elsewhere.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:26 PM

The show suffers from "Cast bloat" I count at least 15 main cast members! That is just too many. Characters are getting barely 5 minutes screen time because she has to cram them all in each week. I think she is trying to slim the cast down.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:41 PM

I count at least 15 main cast members

There are only 14, but they worked best when they had 12.

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

I took it as "necessary" for the story to progress. How to keep everyone at Seattle when naturally they'd be moving on to Fellowships etc. elsewhere.

I interpret it in a few ways.

"Necessary" because someone wanted to leave, or "necessary" because the ABC said "trim your costs" or "trim your cast."

Characters who are not embroiled in a long-term relationship (such as Alex, April, Lexie, Teddy, Jackson, Bailey, or even Owen and Cristina) could theoretically "leave" because they're not entangled, but the happily married ones, such as Meredith/Derek and Callie/Arizona or Richard would need a death if one of the actors wasn't coming back. I mean, how could Richard just leave Seattle? He could quit to be with Adele, true, but for others, it's not that easy. It's possible that there was no other plausible way to make an exit happen (for example, although I know he's coming back, people would not accept Derek leaving Meredith, but if he died, it would be terrible, but more plausible to fans).

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:45 PM

Im waiting for Amelia to join the cast fulltime and Addison on a guest star basis.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:56 PM

Im waiting for Amelia to join the cast fulltime and Addison on a guest star basis.

At least Amelia has a good context to add to the show (being Derek -and by proxy Mark- sister) but the rest? No. This cast is too big and half of it is useless ATM.

I took it as "necessary" for the story to progress.

Me too. I would have believed that it was other sort of necessary (like trimming cast) if SR didn't have 3 shows on ABC (where she can relocate cast) or the wording would be different. She needed a fresh start for S9, hence why the death.

But if ABC wants to trim the cast, go for it. Take April, Jackson, & Owen to the light too. I'm all for it.

JayCeeJ

JayCeeJ

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:38 PM

You know it cost the network money to keep the original cast, and this is an aging show. It's likely ABC insisted on trimming the bloat in the cast to cover the cost of the new contracts. And I sure hope that's the case. I'd be happy to see them lose Teddy, April and Jackson - they're all superfluous anyway. It would be a win-win - ABC saves money and the fans get more screen time from the original cast.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

She made the mistake last year of adding too many new cast members. Then she sort of fixed it when she killed off Percy and Reed. But that was not enough so now she has to do more. We know the main cast is safe, KMK says he is staying, Loretta Devine is staying(though she is not a full time cast member) and I think Jessica said she is. So that leaves a few left. I would not mind Teddy, Jackson and April going bye-bye. Teddy is useless. All she does is whine.

stopthestatic

stopthestatic

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Shonda said she "had to do it" which we interpreted as an actor choosing to leave, but maybe ABC made her cut someone (maybe multiple people?) to cover the costs for the originals. I think that probably is the case and they decided to get rid of one of the older cast members, who get paid more, instead of several new ones.

Regardless of the cast bloat, Alex needs a love interest now. It's about time to sign someone on for him to end up with because they clearly aren't bringing Katherine Heigl back. Maybe bring in Amelia for Alex? I could get behind that!

Ideally, the cast for next year would be Meredith, Derek, Cristina, Owen, Bailey, Richard, Catherine (although I'm not sure she'd work as well without Jackson there), Mark, Lexie, Callie, Arizona and Alex. But Shonda loves the useless characters so that would never happen.

Edited by stopthestatic, May 12, 2012 @ 9:13 PM.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:36 PM

She has not had to fire anyone since IW though. KH wanted out as did TR so there she had no choice. But I agree that I would much rather see her get rid of Jackson,Teddy and Jackson.

I think Shonda is over-hyping this though. Notice that she did say she wished she had not said anything?! I think she realized a bit too late that she should have kept her mouth shut.I don't know WHY she is overhyping this so much. When TR was killed off she never did that. We know the originals are safe so why is she so worried what fans will think? Other then Mark,Lexie and Callie not too many care for the others

JayCeeJ

JayCeeJ

Channel Surfer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 7:35 AM

Shonds's been very quiet about Grey's since the news broke about the contract renewals. She was bragging on Twitter about Scandal and Private Practice being renewed, but not a word about Grey's. She really wanted the news kept under wraps until after the finale, and now that we've seen the promo it's obvious why. Knowing who's coming back, the finale does seem overhyped.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:46 AM

I don't think it is over-hyped. A full cast member is dying, we just don't know who yet. So, most if not all the original cast will return. That doesn't mean no one cares about the rest of them. With Callie doing the voice over I am for sure freaking out still because if Callie is gone so am I. The only way I would say it was over-hyped is if the person who dies is Teddy, April, or Jackson. But even there I could be wrong, maybe they are more popular than they seem.

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 10:59 AM

I think it could very well be a group voiceover.

lovetovolunteer

lovetovolunteer

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

We don't know that it is a full cast member. Only ONE comment that she made said it was a main cast member. But with Shonda who knows what she meant. Ellis is dead yet they keep bringing her back as a flashback or whatnot from time to time. They killed Denny but brought him back as a ghost. So anything is possible. For all we know it could be Adele and she will be in flashbacks. Loretta Devine said she will be back but come on. What can they really do with Adele? She has no memory of her husband. And what else can be done with her?