Grey's Anatomy in the Media

• Please log in to reply

18898 replies to this topic

trstone

trstone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

I think the speculation around the season finale is possibly the best part of this season so far. I was really not loving season 8 and have only just started liking it, a bit. But if Shonda is actually writing this finale without knowing who is staying and who is going or...if she is writing it so that viewers have no sense, after watching it, who comes back next season or who doesn't come back, well...I think this could be an awesome finale.

It's the most uncertainty leading up to a season end that I can think of. Mer/Der are not a sure thing given contract issues, C/O same thing and they have a narrative crisis going on as well. Mark and Lexie as a couple have been strung along forever and while neither actor is up for renewal, it seems possible that this couple could be put to rest at the end of this season. Callie/Arizona have had no storyline whatsoever this season and both actors will be back but it seems likely that they are due for some drama of some kind at the end of this season or going into next....Really hoping that Shonda capitalizes on the countless opportunities for drama and uncertainity for this finale. I know a lot of people don't like major cliffhangers but I think it would be awesome to go into next season knowing little about what season 9 looks like.....

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 7:20 PM

'Grey's Anatomy' star Kevin McKidd previews Owen's struggles

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

Grey's mention in TV Guide's Matt Roush's Week in Review:

Grey's Anatomy's Oh factor: Sandra Oh kills it as usual, forcing poor Owen to walk Cristina (and us) through his drunken one-night adulterous stand that she's still not ready to forgive him for. They call in sick to play out this psychodrama, but this sickness is more of a broken heart, as Oh wails, weeps and shrieks with hysterical laughter as Kevin McKidd helplessly frets, fidgets and waits for the next move. Which, when Cristina finally realizes "You wanted to hurt me back" (for the abortion, if not for the emotional vacuum that ensued), means a move out of the house. His parting shot is a mournful declaration, "I'll always be in love with you," that is met with stony sorrowful silence. Cristina instead cries silently on the phone to her BFF Meredith, and picking up the pieces (for now), soon joins her study group for the upcoming boards exam. This week, she aced the acting test, that's for sure. I just wish more of the episode had focused on the Owen-Cristina showdown. (The "ladies' night" subplot in particular sapped away much of the hour's dramatic tension.)

JayCeeJ

JayCeeJ

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:12 AM

Interesting perspective from Robert Bianco in USA Today: Since 'Grey's,' Rhimes' work has taken a turn for the worse

RysenSun

RysenSun

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

From TVGuide Magazine:

Big Death Ahead on Grey's Anatomy Grey's Anatomy executive producer Shonda Rhimes tells me exclusively that a beloved character will die in the ABC drama's May 17 season finale. There's some really shocking, horrible moments, " she says. It can't be worse than two years ago when a gunman hunted the doctors like animals, can it? "Yeah it is. It scares me how fans are going to react." The heart stopping drama begins in the May 10 episode, with a "big case that takes a group of our people out of the hospital. Its sort of the medical case of their lives", says Shonda who hints that the patient could be one of their own. That episode will also give the first glimpse of Derek and Meredith's completed dream house, which Shonda planned to burn down in the finale before deciding, "I was not ready to do that. I hope we can use it next season". More juicy finale deets: Look forward to some "extraordinarily romantic Ben and Dr Bailey stuff". with Bailey making a decision " that will fundamentally change her life." Mark and Lexie...wil have some very beautiful moments that I hope fans are going to really love" Cristina continues to struggle with the fact that she is a "gifted, talented surgeon first before being Owen's wife." Shonda wouldn't reveal anything about Callie and Arizona, which, frankly has me worried.
And what of Meredith and Derek? After repeatedly saying she didn't know the status of Ellen Pompeo's and Patrick Dempsey's contracts, Shonda now says she's not allowed to discuss it. And even by the end of the finale, viewers may not be clear as to who will return next fall. "We sort of end with our breaths held, " she teases. "We were joking that if this was the series finale, we'd be good. But we've been told very clearly it's not."

Edited because I can't type or spell.

Edited by RysenSun, Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:18 PM.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Thanks for typing it up.

the patient could be one of their own

Maybe the upcoming puking is the first symptom.

ETA: In the press release for episode 23 it says " Meanwhile a couple on their third honeymoon come to the hospital complaining of mysterious symptoms". I'm probably completely wrong but maybe its something like Legionnaires' disease? People that were on a plane, in a building, etc. all becoming ill? They could find out that the couple was at the hotel where the boards were taken or on the same flight.

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 23, 2012 @ 7:54 PM.

Sparkles2

Sparkles2

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:16 PM

More and more i'm thinking Lexie is going to end up mirroring mark's speech from 6x22, with what SR said about the beautiful moments and then the whole Keck tweet about Lexie Sloan.

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 8:45 PM

The couple is on their third honeymoon -- Mer/der have had two marriages, now Meredith may have passed her boards and they've moved into the dream house -- couldn't this couple be them? No sides were released for Episode 23 and no named guest stars are mentioned in the Press Release.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

Maybe the additional information on Wednesday will make it easier to know what's going on:

William Keck ‏ @KecksExclusives
@DempeoMD ah you found it in new Mag. MUCH longer version of this interview with @shondarhimes will post Wed on

Link to tweet

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:20 PM.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

Ah geez. So, Bailey is going to get some happiness. Whatever. I don't mean to sound bitter, but I honestly don't give a fuck about Bailey and Ben.

For me, a beloved character involves any of the originals.

I still put my money on Christina dying. I think it sets up some dynamics for season 9 that Shonda probably wants (namely Owen and Teddy in each other's arms). Also, I could see SO moving on. Another radical idea is Callie. My only reason for suggesting her is that SaRa has, at times, mentioned a desire to return to theater. Maybe she is tired of Greys. I think Callie would also have a shock factor.

I think Mer/Der will be moving to Boston. Or maybe just Meredith with the plan for Derek to visit. Meredith dying would be incredibly tragic and sad. I just don't see it. Also, why keep the dream house if there is no mer/der next season.

Shonda is good at keeping us guessing. I suppose this is part of the sick fun of the lead up to the SF.

bgrape74

bgrape74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:55 PM

This is really ridiculous. You try to read between the lines of all this stuff coming out on twitter and interviews and your mind just spins. I can't think of many beloved characters. The Chief came to mind but I doubt he'll leave. I"m so nervous about Patrick not coming back.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:35 AM

Just want to comment about Robert Bianco's article. I agree 1000% with his analysis. Grey's is a huge success and Shonda should be proud of that work, but I also hope she recognizes (sometimes I have my doubts) that she hit the jackpot with her cast. The writing is still decent, but more than anything, I think the cast talent and chemistry, especially among the original players, is carrying the show.

I did watch Off the Map and thought it was okay, but my total lust for Martin Henderson was probably clouding my judgment.

Despite my growing dislike of the Shonda brand, I have watched a couple of episodes of Scandal so far. There is one plot that is interesting, but the rest of the show is total crap. It isn't even really guilty entertainment.

Shonda is a hot commodity right now, but IMO, the brand is growing weaker with each new venture.

whainott

whainott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

I don't think we should put too much emphasis on the "beloved" part. I mean, people have been waiting for Teddy's departure for a long time yet here she is in her third year and SR still hasn't gotten the memo that people don't care about this character. April too I guess, although she seems to have a few fans here and there.

There's no way in hell they'll be able to keep the departure a secret after the finale cause I'm thinking that the actor would want everyone to know that they're available for work. Same thing if somebody is leaving because they have something else coming up.

Edited by whainott, Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:47 AM.

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

Dumb theory where you should all ignore me:

What if they kill Izzie without having to have KH be on screen? Would she be considered beloved?

bgrape74

bgrape74

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:39 AM

That's a great theory! I was even thinking Joe.

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:49 AM

My thought just stemmed from killing an original who wasn't necessarily on contract/having negotiations. Shrug.

InThaZone

InThaZone

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:40 AM

Burning down the dreamhouse after it's finally buillt after four or five seasons would have been utterly hilarious lol. Shonda chickened out of that one. Wise decision.

Personally, I think killing off Cristina would be utterly stupid and melodramatic when the alternative of having her leave to a better hospital would be much more organic. Killing off a character only makes sense for one half of the couples because there's no other way to separate them. Zola or Sofia are high on my list of possible deaths. I don't think the actor who's leaving necessarily has to die. It's interesting the bit about Bailey's life changing decision. Could be Chandra who leaves? If Meredith goes into general, that specialty will be a bit crowded.

As for Calzona, I'm not worried (unless Sofia is the death). I think the reason she didn't say anything is because they won't have anything going on similar to last season's finale. They'll just be there, doctoring. They have an upcoming storyline and that'll be it for this season.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

Grey's Anatomy Exclusive Finale Scoop: A Seattle Grace Exodus and a "Dark and Twisty" Event

bijoux83

bijoux83

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

Could some docs stick around Seattle Grace? "Not at the end of the season," Rhimes teases,

Is she going to blow up the hospital or something? Because it's odd that not one of the residents would stay on at SGMW. Or maybe they're just going on vacation at the end of the season before starting work as attendings or starting their fellowship programs.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:29 AM

Thinking about the MAGIC unit, it would be extremely lame if Shonda were to kill Mer, Cristina, or Alex for the simple fact that she already killed off George. I know it's a television show and sky's the limit, but come on...

Having said that, I'm just going to expect the unexpected for that hour. Anyone can die, anyone can leave. Maybe the disaster is an earthquake, maybe it's every Starbucks shutting down, maybe the Space Needle really is a rocket ship and takes off unexpectedly.
Although, it does seem like Bailey is going to get engaged as that's the next step in her and Ben's relationship.

Edited by NYluv, Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:30 AM.

Beth64

Beth64

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

She could just mean that they've all accepted positions at other hospitals at the end of the season. Then, of course, something/s will happen to change some of their minds. IDK. I just know that she better not kill Cristina or I won't be watching next season.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

The more Shonda talks and gives out "hints," the more I am convinced that she is over selling this finale once again. I would be willing to bet that the contract negotiations have nothing to do with who dies.

I really believe that the death of a "beloved" character will not be any of the Fab 3 or Derek. It will probably be Adele, which will make room for the Chief and Avery's mother to move ahead next season and to give Debbie Allen a recurring role. While I wouldn't necessarily call Adele "beloved", I will be sad if she dies and she has been there every season since the beginning, so I could definitely understand some of the cast members being upset at her character's death, if not Loretta Devine's absence. And as well all know, a character's death unfortunately has nothing to do with whether or not the actor will return to the show.

My only question is if all of the residents take jobs elsewhere, what on earth would persuade any of them to come back to SGH? The death of the Chief? Bailey somehow become Chief of Surgery? Will Meredith get some fatal illness causing her to stay in Seattle with Lexie and Richard, and Cris and Alex have to come back to be near her?

Edited by Deanie87, Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:16 PM.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Right here is where I think she just admits that Cristina is the one that bites the dust. I know I keep hammering away at this, but I fundamentally feel this is the way the SF will go down. And, it sounds like the death is going to be gruesome and heartwrenching. I don't know why Shonda isn't admitting a death in this article, since it has been said elsewhere.

And when we end the season, so many other things are happening that I'm not sure that you're going to spend time worrying about whether or not Cristina and Owen are going to be together. In the episode before the finale, you will feel like you know what's going to happen to them, but their journey really does continue."

I think the journey that continues is all the aftermath for Owen.

It also seems pretty obvious that most of the docs will be choosing to leave Seattle so I suppose we will be wondering who returns next season.

I know people don't want to believe that a major character is dying, but I don't think Shonda would worry about being stoned or hated because Joe, or teddy or April died. I think she is killing off one of the regulars and that will be heartbreaking.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:55 PM

I know people don't want to believe that a major character is dying, but I don't think Shonda would worry about being stoned or hated because Joe, or teddy or April died. I think she is killing off one of the regulars and that will be heartbreaking.

If that is the case, then I think it will be Derek not Cristina. Meredith being widowed with a child is the only thing that would bring Alex, Avery and April back (and Cristina if SO is staying). I don't think that even Alex would come because of Cristina dying. Of course he could come back to work with AZ, but it would be too coincidental for Alex, Avery and April to each have a separate reason for coming back. (Lots of A names there!) Derek dying affects almost everyone, but Cristina dying really doesn't.

I'm at the point with the show that I don't really care if she kills someone off, even Alex. It would enable me to stop watching and to hopefully see JC in other and better roles. I would almost respect her more if she does kill someone off, since she has been teasing it ad nauseum.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Keck tweeted that he was calmed of the death expectations of MD. I still don't believe that PD will be returning full time. I am still in question as to why SR said she would "hope" to use the house next season. Absolutely believe Derek will be one of many to be in limbo as to "will they or won't they". Same with Cristina.

really believe that the death of a "beloved" character will not be any of the Fab 3 or Derek. It will probably be Adele, which will make room for the Chief and Avery's mother to move ahead next season and to give Debbie Allen a recurring role.

SR already said she hopes to address the Adele story next season. I think she and the Chief are safe. Same with Calzona.

My only question is if all of the residents take jobs elsewhere, what on earth would persuade any of them to come back to SGH?

I wonder the same thing. I'm not sure how that will work out next season.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Keck tweeted that he was calmed of the death expectations of MD.

Of course, she always has to calm and by doing so takes half the speculation and wonder about the finale away. So now that's 2 down that won't be the deaths. If she keeps going she can go one by one and tell the ending before it airs. So much for any wonder and buildup for the finale. LOL, can't have that.

I would almost respect her more if she does kill someone off, since she has been teasing it ad nauseum.

I agree. I no longer think its going to be at all interesting or sad. Its probably going to be some random person (like Reed and Percy in S6) and be lame.

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:20 PM.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

SR already said she hopes to address the Adele story next season. I think she and the Chief are safe.

Like she addressed Izzie/Denny....I can just see the ghosts of Ellis and Adele haunting Debbie Allen for the Chief's soul. I actually might enjoy watching that lol!

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:29 PM

I can just see the ghosts of Ellis and Adele haunting Debbie Allen for the Chief's soul. I actually might enjoy watching that lol!

LOL! Ghosts of SGH can be a spinoff. Richard, followed around by all the ghosts. Or, Adele can pop up - it can be like A Gifted Man.

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:32 PM.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

And, it sounds like the death is going to be gruesome and heartwrenching.

Where in the article does it say that?

Gusto

Gusto

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:06 PM

.I can just see the ghosts of Ellis and Adele haunting Debbie Allen for the Chief's soul. I actually might enjoy watching that lol!

LOL! This comment is made of win. :) But dear God, please no more creepy ghosts storylines on this show.

Another radical idea is Callie. My only reason for suggesting her is that SaRa has, at times, mentioned a desire to return to theater. Maybe she is tired of Greys. I think Callie would also have a shock factor

Yeah, SaRa did say that about coming back to theater. On the other hand, she's also said on numerous occasion that she loves being on Grey's and that she hopes it will last for a few more years. But who knows at this point. I do hope she's not going anywhere because Callie is my favorite character. I'm not watching it without her.