Dr. Alex Karev: Frat Boy Bitch

• Please log in to reply

1614 replies to this topic

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2011 @ 5:52 AM

I totally get what you are saying, but on this show, anyone without a love interest really doesn't get any story. Especially now that there are so many characters. Now that the Fab 3-5 are not the focus of the show anymore, it is all about relationship drama and anyone who doesn't have any doesn't really get screentime. His career storyline seems to be the same thing over and over, but maybe that will change with 5th year and his fellowship.

As much as I would have loved to see his family visit, at this point I think that they won't bring him anything but misery. I want someone to support Alex for a change, and I don't think that anyone in his family is capable of doing that. If he had a semi-healthy love relationship (this is Grey's after all) to lean on then I would be all for a family visit. But without one, I just think that having any family member will just be a drain on him. I love Alex angst, but he has had enough over the last few seasons and I am pretty much sick of it. I would like him to have some real happiness with someone who supports him as much as he supports them (which probably won't happen since most of the couples on the show always seem to have a lopsided relationship).

I have to admit that I haven't really tuned in this season, but it doesn't sound like anything has changed so far. I record the show, but after reading the recaps and the boards, absolutely nothing interests me and I just don't ever get around to watching. When he isn't being hated on by everyone, he just drifts into other character's orbits. I'm glad that he and Mer and Cris seem to have made amends, but they are so wrapped up in their drama and I just don't see that changing. If he gets a decent and original storyline, I'm sure that I could get interested again.

Maybe once it is determined who is staying and who is going, then maybe the writers will know what to do with him. If he leaves, then maybe they can write him going to Africa or finding Izzie to make babies or something. If he stays then I really hope that they bring someone in for him. My fear is that no one will end up leaving anytime soon and he will just drift until the show ends.

Rae Spellman

Rae Spellman

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 1:25 AM

I'd rather have him staying celibate, and see him evolve as a kick-ass Peds surgeon and solve his family issues.

Even though they keep bring up his poor hygiene, he wasn't celibate two episodes ago. April was upset about washing the undergarments of some woman he brought home.

coxfire

coxfire

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2011 @ 5:26 AM

Even though they keep bring up his poor hygiene, he wasn't celibate two episodes ago. April was upset about washing the undergarments of some woman he brought home.

I meant celibate as not engaged in a serious relationship. I consider someone screwing around random chicks (preferably different every night) as celibate (which is far different from abstinent).

Since the beginning of the season, I thought Alex had interesting storylines (even if he wasn't enough present last episode for me), but they only lasted 1 episode. I'd like him to have a story-arc.

WalaaBrigdet

WalaaBrigdet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 22, 2011 @ 12:11 PM

I can see them bringing back RT for him since CA was canceled and that's about it. As much as I hate to beat up the dead horse but I do think Alex would have progressed better if KH was around so her leaving messed alot up for him.

SGHvisitor

SGHvisitor

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 5:56 PM

I feel like digging up the Alex thread because I feel like ranting.

What do they do to this character in this season? Why can't they give him any real storylines? Seriously?!? The first few episodes were about him redeeming himself and making it up with his friends. That was rather lame (he shouldn't have been in that position in the first place) but I could accept it.
But now? He doesn't have anything going on. While we do have a huge Cristina drama (again) and cute MerDer + Zola scenes, Alex got nothing. Hell, even Teddy has more of a storyline than him.
After last season didn't have any major Alex storylines I thought they would maybe bring forward the story of his character in s8. But we're already at the middle of the season and NOTHING happend. That's so frustrating. Especially since they teased on so many interesting details about his former life in 6.19. Why do the writers choose not to use them?

-End of rant-

Bullfrog

Bullfrog

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

"" I agree, SGH. They keep going back to this default of Alex being an outward ass with an inward heart of gold. They let him start to grow and then throw him back to where he was. He doesn't need to be perfectly functional, but he should be a little more grown up by now, especially after a near death experience. Give the man something to do, and a woman who isn't crazy. He would have made a much, much more interesting chief resident, with better dynamics between him and the other residents, than annoying, screechy April (Lexie II).

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

You know how a couple pages back people were talking about changing the head of the thread from "Frat Boy Bitch" since it was no longer seemed to fit? Well I think "Big Dumb Gorrilla" would be a perfect replacement.

mage-girl

mage-girl

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Uh... I hate to say it... But in some ways I don't think Alex can help sabotaging himself.

He grew up in a situation where he had to look after his mentally incapacitated mom, big time. And his siblings. And while he grew to resent it, he still took on the responsibility. Because, when he was growing up, there was no one else who could/would take on the responsibility.

Now, Alex is a doctor in his (I'm assuming) early 30's. He's pretty much lived a life with as little introspection as possible. As we've seen him grow into a remarkably caring Peds doctor, he still makes a lot of dumb moves in his life.

It's as if when he sees someone helpless, he thinks it's his responsibility to fix it. Even when Arizona told him last episode that there was nothing he could do, if he came back to Seattle (potentially missing his board exams), he still did. He knew the baby was suffering and Morgan would be hurting. So Alex, like he always feels he has to, comes to the rescue. Even when he's told he can't help, he won't acknowledge it.

He could use some sort of therapy and probably get past it eventually, but that would require admitting there's a problem with the behavior. I really hope he doesn't blow his board exams. My money is on April.

Loblow

Loblow

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:49 AM

We know that it's only been 5 years on the show, and a couple of seasons ago Alex's brother said that they hadn't seen him in 7 years. I believe he said their sister was 9 or 10 when he left. I'd always assumed that he hadn't seen his family since going to Seattle but I guess it was also before that? They've rewritten his past a bit anyway so I guess I shouldn't care, Shonda clearly doesn't.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 12:02 PM

Finally! Something good happens for Alex. I thought it was kind of sad how much he couldn't believe that he was that wanted. Especially when he talked about getting mortgage money so the he could actually buy a house. Given his family and history, it wouldn't surprise me if he will be the first home owner in his family and probably the first to go to college.

Nearly everything good that ever happens to him ends up blowing up in his face, so I really hope that if AZ is the one to die (and I like their relationship so I hope it isn't her), that he won't feel guilty about it. She kicked him off the plane, he didn't ask to stay, so I hope that he doesn't take all the blame on himself. Due to the plane crash, it probably won't be a happy finale for him, but I will be satisfied with him just not being devastated and alone.

Now for a new awesome love interest next season!!!!

SGHvisitor

SGHvisitor

Channel Surfer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:35 PM

Your absolutely right. I was so happy for him. I liked all the Alex scenes in this episode. Especially when he talked to Webber and the MAC scene. Cristina hugging him and Meredith saying that she wasn't surprised at all, was great.
Also that sentence "Noone ever wanted me this way" reminded me of when Aaron mentioned that he went through 17 different foster homes. He must have had such a tough childhood.

For the next season I also wish for him to get a new nice and normal girlfriend. I also would like to see him making things up with his sister.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

I am so glad that Izzie is gone from his life. All her drama would have kept him form being this amazing doctor he has become. Of all of them he got Hopkins!

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Justin really is so underrated. Rewatching his scene with KMK, asking for more money, he seems so young, scared and unsure of himself compared to the usual Karev assholery.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

Justin really is so underrated. Rewatching his scene with KMK, asking for more money, he seems so young, scared and unsure of himself compared to the usual Karev assholery.

spanky91088

spanky91088

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:58 PM

Sunshine55

Sunshine55

Couch Potato

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Justin really is so underrated.

I have thought this for two or three seasons now. He really is gifted at showing all the layers of Alex. As much as I grew to hate Izzie, I thought that Justin just rocked it as an actor during the Izzie-cancer storyline.
Even going back to his Evil Spawn days, I can remember being impressed in his scenes with the kid who was debating whether to donate part of his liver to his abusive father. I think that was the first time I ever liked Alex.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Well, the good news is that it seems that Alex won't have yet another tragic season finale like every other year (sadness about whoever dies notwithstanding.) The bad news is he probably won't be in it all that much, so that sucks.

I am going out of town and so won't be able to watch it unless I do it live, and I have no interest in watching everyone re-create Lost, so I will probably just read about who dies and then catch it when I get home. I don't really care who it is, but Iike his relationship with AZ, so I hope she stays. And I will be furious if he gets blamed for AZ being on that plane!

It is kind of annoying that he will feel obligated to give up this incredible opportunity at Hopkins out of loyalty or guilt (I am assuming), but at least Owen is matching what Hopkins is giving him and that shouldn't change. I just hope he gets something real and different next season in the midst of everyone else's melodrama. George was mourned for 4 minutes and everyone else has died and come back to energetic life within 3 episodes so I hope that stupid trend continues next season and we can get on with new and interesting stuff for those not involved in the plane crash of doom.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 11:56 AM

I'm just gonna say it: I kind of like her. I think that the actress needs to find a middle ground between whiny/pouty and over the top bubbliness, but the Jo and Alex scenes really worked for me in this episode. Yes, she is kind of young and may impede his maturity a little bit, but after Ava and Izzie, let him just have fun for awhile. Plus, his reluctance to start anything physical with her and his complete honesty about it seems very grown up to me.

The pace is great and his apparent non-attraction to her (and vice-versa maybe) makes this different enough from Izzie and hopefully it will just go from there. She bought him a couch, yes with his money, but when was the last time anyone did anything nice for him? I really can't remember.

I do wish that he was involved more with the other characters, but I think that without Jo, he wouldn't be getting any screen time. And it is only going to get worse if the speculation about The Gang buying the hospital comes true. So I'm glad that he has something of his own going on that is positive for once and if we can get more friendship scenes like last night then it may turn out to be pretty good. Fingers crossed!

lemon

lemon

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 5:06 PM

Jo's growing on me. I'm still not sure I like her but I think they are finally on a track with her and Alex that has some potential. Up till this episode the Alex/Jo interaction has seemed forced but I like them a lot as friends who drink beer and hang out. I like that Jo apparently likes him enough to use a thousand bucks that she could probably really use to buy a couch that they could hang out and drink beer on.

I hope they continue to take it slow with them. I think the non-attraction is a good route to take for now. They've set Jo up as not having confidence during surgeries and Alex as trying to be a good teacher; I think there is potential for them to help each other come into their own, and it would be great if it were to happen without sex being involved. That can come later.

I would love more Meredith and Alex scenes and LOVE some Alex and Cristina roommate scenes but since the writers don't seem interested in either, I will totally take Alex and Jo.

Happy Harpy

Happy Harpy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

I like Alex and Jo and I cross my fingers so that their relationship won't be ruined.

She bought him a couch, yes with his money, but when was the last time anyone did anything nice for him? I really can't remember.

Just went for something along those lines in the episode thread! I really hope that for once, Alex has someone who thinks of him, values him, and loves him for what he is. I don't think that Jo deludes herself about him, and she seems to accept him as he is, with his flaws, a bit in the way Mere or Cristina did. At least, for now.

They've set Jo up as not having confidence during surgeries and Alex as trying to be a good teacher; I think there is potential for them to help each other come into their own

Yes, she is kind of young and may impede his maturity a little bit,

I think that for now they're more used to lighten the mood and tone of the show, which I don't dislike either (yeah, Alex deserves some fun). But those two aspects of them are why I see a potential for more serious storylines. They have imo enough differences in temper, age and experience to even create problems between them (friends or lovers, it's unfortunately a given they will have some) without going for the sordid, cheating, etc.
I'd really love for Alex to be in a relationship where there is respect on both sides, and I hope this will be the one.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 10:41 AM

They've set Jo up as not having confidence during surgeries and Alex as trying to be a good teacher; I think there is potential for them to help each other come into their own, and it would be great if it were to happen without sex being involved.

I really hope that is how it evolves. I just don't want a repeat of the other intern/attending dynamics. I found Derek, Burke and Owen to be extremely condescending toward their girlfriends/wives when it came to "teaching" them. They withheld and/or dangled surgeries based on what was going on in the relationship or made decisions because they knew what would make the little gals happy better than the gals themselves. Yuck.

I don't see Alex behaving like that, but I"m not sure that the writers know how to do that kind of relationship any other way. The Alex/Addison relationship avoided those pitfalls for the most part, so maybe they can.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 5:11 PM

I wish I liked her, since I want Alex to have a long term romance on this show but I don't yet. I think the "tough street kid underneath the Princess" is totally unbelievable for her and trying way too hard.

I don't see Alex behaving like that, but I"m not sure that the writers know how to do that kind of relationship any other way. The Alex/Addison relationship avoided those pitfalls for the most part, so maybe they can.

In S5 I remember saying the exact same thing about Owen. Sigh. IMO Alex/Addie only avoided those pitfalls because she left for LA right after their quickie. And I think if Arizona hadn't been a lesbian then they'd have tried out a UST storyline there.

But those two aspects of them are why I see a potential for more serious storylines. They have imo enough differences in temper, age and experience to even create problems between them (friends or lovers, it's unfortunately a given they will have some) without going for the sordid, cheating, etc.

They are taking it slow right now, which I'm thankful for but this show really isn't good about avoiding power dynamic issues and even worse about actually exploring them in a meaningful way. All those things were in place with C/O and even Mark/Lexie but they went for cheaper drama.

harkiv

harkiv

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 11:49 AM

I wish they would bring someone else in for Alex. Just not feeling the chemistry with Jo. I think he needs someone his age or older. He was great with Izzie. Him and Addison had a nice chemistry. I even liked his scenes in season 5 with Arizona before she went with Callie.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2013 @ 3:58 PM

I totally agree, harkiv. They have ZERO chemistry, just like Jackson and Stephanie have zero chemistry. She is so young and I know that Shonda seems to think that rough upbringing=built in maturity/life experience, but it doesn't. Jo acts like a little kid without any of the charm of a child. She's a smarmy kid. And in an attempt to show us how she "brings out the fun side of him," they show them acting like annoying idiots. Their "close" relationship feels unearned. That's mainly because we've only heard about how they've become "like brother and sister," but because they've devoted so much time to Jackson and April and inane intern stories, we haven't seen it. Them howling like idiots and hanging out with Jackson and Stephanie while they make out is not convincing me that these two people are close and have developed a bond. Their interactions are so bland. And I don't get a vibe from Jo that she views Alex as being like her brother or any sort of bond. I just don't see it. I'm not looking forward to seeing Alex revert to "asshole Alex" because he's mad she's with someone else or whatever. I'm so sick of this retread of his relationships. Regardless, I don't like them as a couple. He needs an adult woman. I couldn't stand Izzie, but that was his most compelling relationship on the show. Jo is just annoying.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 11:28 AM

Anyway that's why for me, Jo is growing more and more into the anti-you-know-who of the world revolving around her bellybutton: Alex is important to Jo, and she lets him know.

While I think that the Jo/Alex dynamic started off very similar to the Izzie/Alex dynamic, I don’t think that they resemble each other at all anymore. For as much grief as Jo gets for being immature (most of it deserved), she was adult enough to come out and tell Alex point blank how important he is to her. Frankly, that kind of communication is nearly non-existent on this show, so I really give her points for coming straight out with it and not talking around it.

I will admit that I was a HUGE Alex/Izzie fan, but that was mainly because of what it brought out in Alex. I never felt that it was an equal relationship. In fact, I am struggling to think of one nice thing that Izzie did for Alex during their season 5-6 relationship other than tell him that he was going to be a rockstar surgeon one day. It was all about Alex “deserving” Izzie. Though to be fair, Izzie had cancer and her history with Alex was littered with a lot of his assholery. But she never told him directly that he was a good man, a good boyfriend or husband, or in any way negated the whole “you are not good enough for anyone.” The fact that she deigned to be with him should have been enough.

So while Alex/Jo don’t have the sexual chemistry that Alex had with Izzie (which I thought was off the charts), I will take friendship, loyalty and appreciation for who Alex is as a person over sexual chemistry any day. I thought he had decent chemistry with Lucy too, but she became just as disloyal as Izzie was by the end. Unfortunately, the writing on the show has brought my bar to curb level.

And as far as Jo bringing Alex down to the intern/second tier character level, its not like Alex was hanging out much with Mer or Cris outside of the hospital anyway. He wasn’t part of the Plane Crash Crew, so without Jo he would be completely isolated or just a third wheel to Avery and his squeeze of the week.

Having said all that, I am disappointed by a spoiler that I read. Apparently
Spoiler
Its nothing that he (and other chracters including Derek) hasn’t done before, but I just hope it isn’t as bad as it sounds.

Happy Harpy

Happy Harpy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2013 @ 3:01 PM

In fact, I am struggling to think of one nice thing that Izzie did for Alex during their season 5-6 relationship other than tell him that he was going to be a rockstar surgeon one day. It was all about Alex “deserving” Izzie.

I didn't see that, it was during my break, but before that, Izzie didn't do much (if anything) for Alex. The nicest thing I vaguely remember is that she told the others he wasn't that bad.
For me, the Alex/Izzie relationship could be summed-up by a scene somewhere in season 3, after the Gizzie thing and Izzie coming onto Alex because she had no other guy to go to. Alex told her: "Izzie, you don't want me". It was just before (IIRC) the "burning down the house" thing and the writing going imo down the toilets.

I think that Jo is a deconstruction way more than a redux. And I'm happy about her so far because finally, Alex matters. As for sexual chemistry, I don't know since I didn't see yet any sexy time yet...I hope it will be there. The only off the charts chemistry I saw, personally, was with Addison. In a way, I'll always regret what Addison and Alex could have been. Now, I just want Alex to be with someone who truly appreciates him, understands him (including his Evil Spawn ways) and makes him happy. For now, I believe that Jo could be this person.

I saw that spoiler, too (interview with C.Luddington?).
Spoiler

Edited by Happy Harpy, Feb 23, 2013 @ 3:02 PM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

I will admit that I was a HUGE Alex/Izzie fan, but that was mainly because of what it brought out in Alex. I never felt that it was an equal relationship. In fact, I am struggling to think of one nice thing that Izzie did for Alex during their season 5-6 relationship other than tell him that he was going to be a rockstar surgeon one day. It was all about Alex “deserving” Izzie. Though to be fair, Izzie had cancer and her history with Alex was littered with a lot of his assholery. But she never told him directly that he was a good man, a good boyfriend or husband, or in any way negated the whole “you are not good enough for anyone.” The fact that she deigned to be with him should have been enough.

Remember in S5 Alex apparently got all his "being a good boyfriend" shit together offscreen and became perfect to Izzie after the "revolving door of sluts" in the first few episodes? And how that got about 10 seconds of screentime because Izzie was too busy having sex with her own brain tumor induced dead ex to notice. Yeah agreed, A/I was never about Alex.

Regarding the spoiler, I'm not thrilled but waiting to see how it plays out,
Spoiler

I think part of my frustration with some aspects of the Jo/Alex relationship is interns and residents appear and disappear. One season the hospital will be full of 2nd years who are the only ones parenting interns, next 3rd year residents but no interns or 5th year residents, a couple of seasons later, Lexie's dead and her class of toddlers was never heard from again so hey now attendings are personally responsible for herds of interns. Lords knows this show can't sustain enough story for a couple from each but it means if one character isn't dating within their professional level they have to date at the top of the food chain or the bottom.

All this is a really convoluted way of saying I wish Alex (or Jackson or anyone else) had the option of a recurring 4th/5th year resident and we cut down on the number of interns we see regularly, just for variety.

coxfire

coxfire

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 7:48 AM

the last episode really got on my nerve Alex-wise. It was a wash, rinse and repeat of all the storylines they wrote for him, i.e. he is pissed at something, he acts like a jerk, he is lectured and tols to grow up.
After the Ava debacle, he was a jerk to Izzie and she lectured him until he kissed her to shut her up
After the shooting, he was a jerk to Lexie and she gave him a smackdown.
After his brother lost it, he was a jerk to April and got lectured by Meredith.
And now after being left out the plan to buy the hospital and seing his olleagues become his boss, he is a jerk to Jo and Meredith and is lectured by Meredith.
This is getting really tiring, and I can't believe an actor as capable as Justin Chambers is confined in these storylines and reduced to pine after Jo. And considering his luck, what will she do: try to kill herself, get cancer, steal his job?
In all these instances, Alex's feelings were brushed off in a mere episode and all we got to see was him acting out.
Is the episode thread, someone pointed out that Alex must have felt lonely, and I get that. I'm still disappointed we never saw Meredith or Cristina's reaction to him being shot, for instance.
What irks me the most is that Justin chambers is a very capable actor, and I don't get why Jesse Williams, who I feel isn't as good, has more interactions with the rest of the cast and more storylines than him.
I know the character is not well loved, but he is a complex and interesting one, too bad the writers never ever invest in him. He is an afterthought most of the time.

Emily Thrace

Emily Thrace

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

You know the more I think about it the more I wish it was Alex who had been on that plane instead of Arizona. I know its a little twisted but I think it would have worked so much better storywise and Justin Chambers would have acted the hell out of this storyline. Jessica's been adequate but for a storyline that involves losing a limb she should be blowing everyone away and shes not doing that for me. Plus then the story would have actually been about someone losing limb not Callie and Arizona's relationship drama 5.0. I like the characters but it always the same cycle, trouble arises, Callie storms, Arizona whines, Callie gets her way and then its lesbian sexytimes. I think this may be the first time I've been bored by someone losing a limb before.

Alex's whole identity was wrapped up in him being a jock losing that even temporarily would be incredibly hard for him. Not to mention since he isn't married and his family is nuts he would have to rely on his hospital family to take care of him and there are a whole slew of possibilities there. I can just see Mer saying "he's coming home with me he's family" but it could have been also interesting to see him move in with Callie and Arizona and see how that dynamic would play out. Or it could have just taken his rooming with Christina up a notch with them leaning on each other and Christina growing by having to really take of someone. Alex could even bonded with Derek over their new handicapped status. The possibilities are really endless since Alex has relationships and ties with every member of the cast. It could even have given his relationship with Jo a real conflict where Alex is gunshy about relationships but Jo values him even without the leg. I think I just wish Alex got a great story for once. I don't not like Jo, but I'm not totally sold on this relationship either.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2013 @ 10:36 AM

You know the more I think about it the more I wish it was Alex who had been on that plane instead of Arizona.

While I think that JC would have done a great job with this, all of the plane crash survivors (and I'm including Callie here) have come off as such assholes nearly all season that I'm glad that Alex wasn' t on the plane. I don't think that he would have been spared either considering how the writers love to ratchet up Alex's asshole quotient whenever they can't think of anything else to do with him. All the lawsuit/hospital stuff has done is make me loathe characters that I used to like or was neutral on, and I will admit that some of that loathing has to do with the way that Alex has been treated.

Meredith, especially, has come off poorly. She used to be the only really kind and compassionate one out of the group (other then George but he was passive/aggressive) and she has blown Alex and his feelings off all season. The only time she is nice to him is when the writers need her to grant her approval of Jo.

Is the episode thread, someone pointed out that Alex must have felt lonely, and I get that.

I agree and it is to Jo's credit that she mentioned Alex feeling abandoned by everyone, including her. So, as much as she isn't my dream love interest, thank god for Jo because without her, Alex would be having the exact same nearly invisible presence that he had last year. Yes, she is an intern, and yes she can be kind of immature and can bring Alex down sometimes, but she notices and cares and considers his feelings. That is more than anyone else has done.