Ratings and Scheduling: Medical Appointments

• Please log in to reply

4977 replies to this topic

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 8:09 PM

Live + 7 for the week ending 2/12 - Grey's had a 40% gain in the demo when 7 days numbers were accounted for, it went from a 4.0 to a 5.60. If I am reading the chart correctly it was the number 1 drama in the demo.

Bones Moves to Mondays, Touch will be on Thursdays New competition for Grey's beginning March 22.

Fox has moved the the freshman drama’s official season premiere to Thursday, March 22, at 9/8c, where it will remain and lead out of American Idol.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 7:27 PM

Mr. Lee and Mr. Levitan said that the comeback of the scripted shows this season has something to do with the glut of reality competition shows and the fact that, as Mr. Lee put it, “reality television has lost the shock of the new.”

Those competition shows also tend to be recorded and viewed later much less frequently, so the DVR has been a special enhancement to scripted shows. Among the prime-time hits that get a 40 percent or higher lift among 18- to 49-year-olds because of time-shifting: Fox’s “House,” “Glee,” “New Girl,” and “Alcatraz”; ABC’s “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Private Practice” and “Revenge”; and NBC’s “The Office” and “Up All Night.”

DVRs and Streaming Prompt a Shift in the Top-Rated TV Shows

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Early Ratings:

Grey’s Anatomy, which won the 9 p.m. hour with a 7.5/12, followed by spin-off Private Practice at an also dominant 5.3/ 9 at 10 p.m.

Good numbers but they didn't face their usual combination. I'm interested in how they go up against Touch if Touch manages to find an audience during the 2 week Grey's break.

ETA:
I take it back. The demo number isn't good. Is it the lowest of the season? Hopefully it will adjust up.

ABC Grey's Anatomy 3.0/9.673

Source: tvbythenumbers

Edited by WindSprints, Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:59 AM.

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 11:16 AM

ETA:
I take it back. The demo number isn't good. Is it the lowest of the season? Hopefully it will adjust up.

Yeah, but American Idol only got a 4.5 -- Grey's was second at 3.0 and everything else was 2.3 or lower. Ratings just are not what they used to be.

SeriouslyBored

SeriouslyBored

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:01 PM

New season low at 2.8 for the episode aired on April 16th.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

Interesting that Person of Interest got a highter demo than GA last week.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:48 AM

Last nights ratings

9:00 CBS The Big Bang Theory ® 3.0/8 10.25
ABC Grey's Anatomy 2.9/8 8.84
FOX Touch 2.3/6 8.22

http://tvbythenumber...-higher/128937/

jennatv1

jennatv1

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Broadcast television on a whole has been seeing lower numbers over the past weeks but these numbers are a bit disappointing. Hopefully its just the overall numbers for TV being down and it will bounce back.

Its always been my speculation that Grey's Anatomy skews to the bottom of the 18-49 demographic and that was why high school with scalpels and juvenile emotional aged characters were so popular for the show. This season I have beleived there was a clear attempt to grow up. Characters are parents, in stable relationships or married and have grown from baby doctors. Those not in stable relationships express the desire to be as opposed to constant bed hopping. If the numbers do not come back up it may be a case of the characters growing up but the viewers still skewing young and not engaging in more adult themes.

I'm more interested in this season's finale than any before it. It should set the tone for the remainder of the series run.

MerDer4Ever88

MerDer4Ever88

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 5:19 PM

[snip]

Okay, now to my ratings question. I have never quite understood exactly how the ratings worked. I know they are measured by total viewers and then something about the 18-49 demo. What does all of this mean? The reason I am asking is because I was looking at Scandal's ratings (not a fan of the show...I hate it and want to see it go because honestly I think more time should be put into Grey's!) and all of the media articles I read about the ratings last night seem to want you to believe that Scandal did well in the ratings...but did it really???

Comparing Scandal to Off The Map last year which was canceled after it's first season, it seems to me that Scandal's numbers are no better than Off The Map. Take last night's numbers for Scandal for example. Yes Scandal did win it's timeslot last night but it scored a 2.1 in the 18-49 group and scored a 7.5 in total viewers. In it's second episode last year Off The Map also won it's timeslot, scored a 2.1, but only 6 in total viewers for it. So is total viewers the important number here? Also, last week I read somewhere that the numbers for Scandal dropped off in the second half hour. How is this determined? I thought the demo matters more? Can someone please explain? Thanks!

Edited by TWoP Mars, Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:29 AM.
Topic

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 6:02 PM

I find the ratings confusing too. It seems like Grey's continues to fall, yet I keep hearing it is the top scripted show. I dunno. But, obviously, the show is still doing well after 8 seasons. That is impressive no matter how you slice it.

The one thing I find interesting is that, aside from C/O and the boards, there aren't really any compelling storylines going into the season finale. My own viewership has waxed and waned lately. I never did get around to watching last week's episode, but probably will watch this week online at some point.

I know Scandal is off topic, but I will say one thing. The show might make it because ABC is desperate for dramas, but I don't think the ratings will hold up. It just isn't that good and I think Shonda's weaknesses (IMO) are on full display (unrealistic stories, boring speeches, ridiculous dialogue).

MerDer4Ever88

MerDer4Ever88

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

I completely agree with you! Shonda is not really that great of a writer. The reason Grey's is such a hit is because of the original lead actors on the show, and the characters they play, that we fell in love with 8 years ago! Not that much to do with her. Her other shows that have failed have put her weaknesses on full display! I posted this on the ABC Advisory Panel Board and it got deleted but it is my opinion and I think I am entitled to it.

I think Grey's is still the top-rated show because it wins the demo every week. Well, it has been until last week. Grey's was 2nd last week. From what I understand the demo is important for advertising, etc so that is why I thought that was the important category. That is why I do not understand them making such a big deal about ratings for Scandal "improving" last night. It still scored a 2.1. Last week they had 7.4 mil total viewers. This week they had 7.5. Just does not sound like that big of a deal to me.

I think whatever they are referring to in the finale, will be exclusive to the finale. It will be at the end I bet for shock value. I don't think it will be explored in prior episodes. All I know is William Keck at TV Guide talked to Shonda about it. Somebody told him they couldn't wait to hear what he found out in regards to MerDer scoop. He said "be careful what you ask for".

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

I have never quite understood exactly how the ratings worked. I know they are measured by total viewers and then something about the 18-49 demo. What does all of this mean?

This is a link from Nielsen where they explain how they measure it. Television Measurement

Viewership in general has been decreasing now that there are multiple ways of ways of watching television, so while Scandal may have premiered with what used to be considered low numbers, now it's considered normal. The 18-49 demo(graphic) is the most important (based on the viewers counted), as most advertising is targeted to that age range. So if GA is getting "low" numbers but still winning the demo, it's fine as the target group is actually being retained by the show. In other words, it's all money and as long as they keep bringing it, nothing is wrong.

That is why I do not understand them making such a big deal about ratings for Scandal "improving" last night. It still scored a 2.1. Last week they had 7.4 mil total viewers. This week they had 7.5. Just does not sound like that big of a deal to me.

It is important as that will be a factor when it comes to renew the show and give it a S2. If it keeps improving, or at least is stable that way, ABC might renew it for a full S2. The first season is tracked this way for the sole factor of seeing if it's worth the shot and renew it for S2.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

Early Ratings

Veteran Grey’s Anatomy #1: 7.3/12

Should be about 8.8 million total viewers, up a tiny bit from last week. They should win the demo this week though since Person of Interest was a rerun last night.

ETA: Good news! Numbers were decent, seems they picked up viewers/demo due to the POI rerun:

Grey's Anatomy 9.65/3.2

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 20, 2012 @ 10:57 AM.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Good ratings. Scandal didn't do very well last night. Could see GA lasting more season than Shonda's new show.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

Very close to last week's numbers:

Grey's Anatomy 9.270/3.2

Person of Interest was new this week though so Grey's was able to maintain the demo against the competition by a good margin (POI had a 2.4).

Link

They also didn't lose viewers (demo) at the half hour, they went up:

GREY’S ANATOMY ABC 3.1
GREY’S ANATOMY ABC 3.3

Edited by WindSprints, Apr 27, 2012 @ 11:33 AM.

Humbugged

Humbugged

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:56 AM

http://feedproxy.goo...~3/aoYFJw2gPo4/

Virtually identical numbers this week again .NCIS pulled a 3.1 so Grey's is the weeks top drama

Grey's Anatomy 3.3/9 9.24

POI had a 2.5 . Scandal adjusted down to 1.9 and it's now a toss up .Missing is DOA with a 1.1 - Ashley Judd the latest victim of the curse of Thursday at 8 o'clock . Will Grey's ever get a run in again .

That is why I do not understand them making such a big deal about ratings for Scandal "improving" last night. It still scored a 2.1. Last week they had 7.4 mil total viewers. This week they had 7.5. Just does not sound like that big of a deal to me.

10 o'clock shows are always about a full point below the shows at 9 its just the way it is . H-50 and the Mentalist top this week at 2.5 .But most shows at 10 are hitting a 1.8 - 2.3 .So Scandal is just bobbing along really .They might give both PrP and Scandal 13 episode runs in the slot after Grey's

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:20 AM

Early Numbers -

just renewed Grey’s Anatomy (#2: 7.3/12)

The demo numbers aren't out yet but in overall viewers the numbers are the same as usual. No bump in total viewers after all the hype in the media but maybe they'll see some increase in the demo.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 7:17 PM

ABC's "Grey's" is Up Year to Year and Hits an 13-Week High in Adults 18-49
ABC spins the numbers for Thursday, May 10.

· Rising in viewers (+4%) and young adults (+3%) over the prior week, ABC's Grey's Anatomy achieved a 13-week high in Adults 18-49 - since 2/09/12.

Vaulting over its lead-in at 9pm in Adults 18-49 (+209%), ABC's Grey's Anatomy stood as the top-rated series in its hour for the 5th week running and continued to qualify as Thursday's #1 drama. Dominating the 9 o'clock hour, ABC's Grey's Anatomy outdelivered CBS' Person of Interest by 31%, Fox's Idol-driven Touch by 70% and NBC's comedy finales by 70% (The Office/Parks and Recreation). Additionally, Grey's registered as Thursday's highest-rated TV series with Adults 18-34, Women 18-49 (2nd straight week) and Women 18-34 (6th straight week).

· Rising in viewers (+4%) and young adults (+3%) over the prior week, ABC's Grey's Anatomy achieved an 11-week high in Adults 18-49 - since 2/23/12.

· Grey's was up over its year-ago telecast in Adults 18-49 (+6%), Adults 18-34 (+4%) and across all key Women demos: W18-34 (+8%), W18-49 (+6%) and W25-54 (+3%).

Read more at http://www.thefutonc...vV4hFs1mGCZm.99

Edited by Have At It, May 12, 2012 @ 7:19 PM.

lucinders

lucinders

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

The season 8 finale had impressive numbers, scoring a 4.1 in the 18-49 demo and 11.44 million people.

See TV By the Numbers.
http://tvbythenumber...ed-down/134984/

Edited by lucinders, May 19, 2012 @ 1:39 PM.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

Good numbers which is why Shonda will never give a shit about fan grumbles. She knows they will always tune in regardless of what she pulls.

Say what you like about her but she always gets strong numbers leading to the finales, every year.

Edited by Have At It, May 19, 2012 @ 8:55 AM.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Say what you like about her but she always gets strong numbers leading to the finales, every year.

True, but that's it. The show hits new low ratings through the season but scores high in the SP & SF due to major hype. I can't say it's bad because most shows seem to be suffering of loss of viewers but I wish that instead of just creating hype for finales to pull big ratings, she could maintain it through the season.

lucinders

lucinders

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

The 2011-2012 season rankings are out. Grey's Anatomy is the #1 drama in the 18-49 demo, scoring a 4.23.

http://tvline.com/20...-american-idol/

It also placed tenth overall among all shows in the 18-49 demo.

Great numbers for an eight year old show.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 10:45 AM

I agree lucinders. Those are great numbers for an older show. But I can't say I am surprised.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

I'm not surprised. Grey's was the #1 often throughout the season. TVRage has full lists broken down into categories for anyone interested.

Top 20 Dramas In The 18-49 Demos

1. Grey's Anatomy, 2. Once Upon A Time, 3. NCIS, 4. Criminal Minds, 5. Terra Nova
6. Desperate Housewives, 7. NCIS: Los Angeles, 8. Alcatraz, 9. House, 10. Person Of Interest
11. Hawaii Five-0, 12. CSI, 13. Smash, 14. The Mentalist, 15. Private Practice
16. Revenge, 17. Bones, 18. Castle, 19. Touch, 20. CSI: Miami

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted May 25, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

As long as they keep the regulars this drama/soap will go for many more seasons.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2012 @ 1:44 PM

Season 9 will begin on September 27. TVLine

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

So this year will be the Grey's Anatomy and Scandal combo.

Looks like it will be up against the following this year..

9pm Glee
9pm The Office
9pm Person of Interest
10pm Elementary
10pm Jersey Shore

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 10, 2012 @ 4:35 PM

seems to be a bit of an advantage, except for POI, they don't have much competition in the 9pm slot.

mconte

mconte

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 10:55 AM

AWESOME ratings for a 9th season opener.

Next on ABC was the ninth season-premiere of Grey’s Anatomy at a second-place 8.6/13 at 9 p.m., which was 12 percent above the year-ago opener (7.7/12 on 9/22/11).

Total viewers: 11.54 M (behind CBS' line-up in total viewers)
18 - 34 Demo: 4.3 (behind ONLY Big Bang. Grey's held one of the highest demos of the week)

http://www.spoilertv...ember-2012.html

Quick background; S7 pulled 14.32 M total for it's premiere, and 9.89 for the finale. S8 pulled 10.38 for the premiere and 11.44 for the finale. These really are awesome numbers.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 11:45 AM

AWESOME ratings for a 9th season opener.

Agreed. It seems most, if not all, of the audience (going only by the S8 finale/S9 premiere #s) tuned back in to see who lived and died. The cliffhanger sure seems to be a success. Good for them, still finding success in S9.