Satellite Of Love: Relationships On BSG

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1456 replies to this topic

Jacob

Jacob

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2005 @ 9:50 PM

Please, please use this thread for 'shipper discussions.

Sing1118

Sing1118

Fanatic

Posted Oct 26, 2005 @ 10:06 PM

New thready goodness!

I hate Starbuck/Apollo. I can't say why, maybe because it kind of reminds me of Elliot/Olivia on SVU, a ship I hope will never happen, but I think they just get along better as friends. And they're so cute as friends. Also, I couldn't deal with more focus on Starbuck (I love her like whoa but there are a lot of other characters! stop making her the center of everything!) with angst between Lee and Zak and all. Yeah.

And I love Roslin/Adama, though I fully realize it will never be canonized and I'm fine with that. They're so Mom and Dad and I think they're adorable.

galveston

galveston

Posted Oct 26, 2005 @ 10:20 PM

I hate Apollo/Starbuck as well. Please, please, please, get it out of your systems and move on. Three reasons for my hatred:

1.)I just don't buy, not in this universe or theirs, that he could fall in love with her, make love to her and marry her knowing that her bad judgment led to Zack's death. I just don't buy it. Forgiveness and romance are not the same thing. This is a man who didn't speak to his father for two years because he was so bitterly angry, because he blamed his father for Zack's death, but.....Starbuck has boobies so it's okay? All the anger goes away? I don't think so.

2.)Men who are in love don't punch their women in the face. They don't do it. I know she hit him first. I'm not saying he's an abusive prick or anything, but men behave differently around women who they are truly in love with.

3.)I'm sorry, but I just don't see any chemistry between Bamber and Sackhoff. Not romantic chemistry. She is so manic on screen that she almost eradicates his presence. She blows him off the screen. They're like two guys, a rambunctious guy and his very quiet friend. Sackhoff is the only female with whom Bamber generates nothing. Zero. There's nothing there. There's nothing tender. Nothing special. They are never nice to each other. It's never mutual.

Two seconds on a mat with Kandyse McClure was all it took to show just how little Bamber and Sackhoff have in terms of presence. Two seconds on a self defense mat with Dee and Apollo and I went "Wow! They click! They're perfect! They have it going on! They have 'it.' " But I still think Moore is demented for naming his potential new love interest after Jamie's sister. Hee.

Edited by galveston, Oct 26, 2005 @ 10:22 PM.

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 1:26 AM

Men who are in love don't punch their women in the face. They don't do it. I know she hit him first. I'm not saying he's an abusive prick or anything, but men behave differently around women who they are truly in love with.

I wish I could agree with this, but sadly, that is the way some men (and women) show their love. I don't think the Kara/Lee punch-trading was abusive though. I think it was an indication of the depths of Lee's feelings, that he would do something like that. Fucked up, but yeah, I think it was specifically meant to indicate she spins him, because he does have "very special feelings" for her.

That said, I don't have too much of an investment in any ship over the other. All I ask is they don't interfere with the other more interesting aspects of the show (read: just about all of it), and they're believable, and that the show doesn't try to force chemistry where there isn't any. I disagree that there's no chem between Lee/Starbuck. Jamie seems to be able to generate that spark with pretty much any woman he's in a scene with, and many of the men too.

And if the ships could relate to larger issues or impact the plot as a whole, instead of just being there for their own sakes, that'd be ducky.

galveston

galveston

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 2:11 AM

I wish I could agree with this, but sadly, that is the way some men (and women) show their love.

My father "expressed his feelings" that way for my mother. It wasn't love. It wasn't sexy. Trust me. I saw her "express her feelings for him by throwing a chair at him when he was trying to express his feelings with his fists. Once again, not love. If Lee punching her in the face was meant to show the "depth of his feelings," I'd rather not see those depths. If that's male and female equality and "sexual chemistry" Mr. Moore is welcome to keep it. I'd rather see chivalry and sexism. Intellectually, I understand what he was trying to present--two completely equal colleagues--but I can't turn off my emotional reaction to it. Colleagues will treat each other that way, but not people in love. When you're in love, you react differently if you're not an abuser. You can't switch off the personal as if it doesn't exist just because you're on the job.

Truth is, I never saw the alleged Bamber/Sackhoff chemistry. Not from the very beginning in the mini. I remember thinking, "Someone cast them as the potential couple? What were they thinking? They're like brother and sister." Starbuck was the one female Lee didn't seem to generate a single spark with. Then when she confessed to getting his brother killed I thought, "Oh, well that ends that." When it didn't later on down the road, I was thinking, "You have to be kidding. It doesn't make any sense. He holds a grudge against his father for two years and forgives her in two minutes? Not plausible." When they hit each other--it was over.

Maybe I would feel entirely opposite if a different actress played Starbuck or a different actor played Apollo, but together.....no. They register at absolute zero on the chemistry range. They're like Archer and T'Pol from Enterprise. That's some serious non-chemistry. LOL!

Edited by galveston, Oct 27, 2005 @ 2:15 AM.

SmokingCatamite

SmokingCatamite

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 6:57 AM

But really, on Galactica everyone seems to express love with punches to the face. Look at the Tighs. This is why my Helo/Tyrol shipping will happen - they have engaged in the Galactican foreplay rite of fistfighting

Sing1118

Sing1118

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 7:40 AM

Heh, the first episode I saw was Flight of the Phoenix and when I saw Starbuck slam Racetrack, I decided I wanted to see that again, ahem, in private. I was surprised to find no one shipped them until I realized that Racetrack is only in a few episodes.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 11:24 AM

For some reason, I really support the Apollo/ Starbuck ship. It is strange to me because I totally agree with everyone that says they have no chemistry. It doesn't really make sense. He should still have some level of fury about the whole Zach thing. They also seem to fight a lot. But that still doesn't deter me. When they are not being total bitches to each other, I like them together.

In the alternative, I also really liked Lee and Dualla. I totally agree with the poster who said that the mat scene really showed what chemistry is. I like Billy a lot, but he and Dualla are just really cute. Lee and Dualla were hot.

galveston

galveston

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 2:04 PM

For some reason, I really support the Apollo/ Starbuck ship. It is strange to me because I totally agree with everyone that says they have no chemistry. It doesn't really make sense. He should still have some level of fury about the whole Zach thing. They also seem to fight a lot. But that still doesn't deter me. When they are not being total bitches to each other, I like them together.

The sad thing is, they aren't really that nice to each other very often. I think it's the fact that Moore totally abandoned the Zack issue that bugs me the most. Zachary Adama should very much be a live issue. Maybe if the series had taken two seasons to hash the Zach issue out and had forgiveness be something precious that was extremely hard won, maybe then I would have felt differently about A/S. But Moore thinks Starbuck is so cool that she would be forgiven immediately. I'm not saying forgiveness would be impossible or that her character is unworthy of being forgiven. Starbuck saved Lee during the mini when the power gave out in his fighter. I acknowledge that. It was a noble thing she did, but....it still doesn't erase the fact that her lousy judgment got Zack killed. Your child is your child (I have a son). Your kid brother is your kid brother. Kara commiserated with Bill for two years without ever telling him what happened until she was forced to do so by Lee's slip of the tongue when he believed she had told his father the truth. That would enrage a grieving parent. The forgiving of Kara Thrace should have been a story arc in and of itself. This is the one area where Moore really blew it, IMO. Zack may or may not have survived the holocaust, but he'd at least have had the chance to survive if Kara hadn't passed him. That's a huge problem for several folks I know who watch BSG; they think the forgiveness came far too easily and it cheated the story.

Still totally agree that Bamber and Sackhoff register zero on the chemistry meter, while Bamber and McClure register red hot. If I were casting a love interest for Katee Sackhoff, I'd never have cast an actor as subtle and introspective as Bamber. Someone like Tahmoh or Callum Keith Rennie (not necessarily playing their present characters) would seem a much better on screen match for Katee. Someone with a much less classically handsome look than Bamber. Someone louder, more blustery, with a harsher look. Someone more manic, to match her screen presence.

hushpuppy22

hushpuppy22

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 4:30 PM

I would really like the Helo/Sharon ship to end. Actually, I would like any "Insert Name Here"/Sharon ship to end. As long as she's on the ship, the Chief and Helo can't move on with their lives. And what good is it for these guys to be in love with her? Helo falling in love with Sharon is like him getting addicted to narcotics. All she's ever going to bring is misery. And it's not the good angst where two characters want each other but are stopped by their own insecurities (or by one of them being a vampire who loses his soul if he gets too happy) 'cause Sharon is a freakin Cylon.

Edited by hushpuppy22, Oct 27, 2005 @ 5:09 PM.

scratcheyes

scratcheyes

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 6:05 PM

I'm on the No StarPollo train. Why why why can we not have a close male/female friendship that doesn't end up "in love". Note to TPTB (on any show) -- Men and women can be super-close, got-your-back friends without it ever leading to romance.

Apollo and Starbuck have a great friendship going. I think they're actually cute together AS FRIENDS. (one scene that comes to mind is the helmet-painting scene) Don't ruin it.

Let's not even talk about the fact that she was your brother's fiance, Apollo.

romance writer

romance writer

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 9:22 PM

Apollo is too controlled and reserved to sleep with someone as easy as Starbuck's made out to be. Moreover, he's a man who stands up for his principles, even when it costs him. I can't see him sleeping with one of his pilots. Even a relationship with Dee would be problematic, since she's, what, a petty officer (?) and he's a captain. If he's going to end up with anyone, it'll probably be someone off the Galactica, someone who he could open up to and be more than just Adama's son.

I would like to see the latter happen, if only to see what happens to Apollo and Starbuck's friendship if he's involved with someone else. Yeah, men and women can be just friends, but it's not easy.

Hateza

Hateza

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 9:50 PM

I have easily climbed aboard the Helo/Cylon-Sharon Ship. Even if it sinks like the Titanic, my simplistic mind can easily see where exploring this relationship can help us delve deeper into the human condition.

Sharon is a Cylon. I accept that as readily as I accept that her only motivation for helping humanity is to protect the lives of Helo (first) and her daughter (second). I have no qualms about this. Since Helo has has gotten over her being a "machine" then it isn't his life that's on hold, it's everyone else's.

I'm sure I'm biased towards this relationship for a few reasons. I'll share one now. Ten years ago, I met a Jewish woman who married (in 1952) a former card carrying member of the Third Reich. Until the moment he met her and fell in love, he thought it was pretty much okay to exterminate every Jewish person he saw. He also confessed to having participated in rape, other torture and cold-blooded murder.

After I finally shut my mouth, I asked her how could love him. She told me that love is illogical. It's completely and utterly insane but also it gives you the strenght to do things you never imagined you could do. I was a young bride then, still trapped within the confines of hormones and chemistry, so I didn't get it. Years later, I finally understood.

If you can't have faith and trust in the person you love (if you're lucky, they'll love you back), then you're doomed. If Helo's love is enough to get Sharon this far in her development as a sentient person, I can't find fault with it. The fault lies in the presentation.

Helo's biggest problem on Galactica is that he has nothing to do. Put him in a Raptor and I think we'll see that one or two or even 1500 Sharons isn't going to destroy him as a member of the human race.

In the end though, they're both so pretty!!! I'd be really happy seeing them 4-5 minutes per episode doing the things they do. Toaster-Love FoRever!!!

Sing1118

Sing1118

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 9:59 PM

Toaster-Love FoRever!!!

I so need a tshirt that says that.

I'm mixed on the Sharon/Helo thing. I mean, I'd like to believe she's capable of love, but she's not human. I hope you're right and she can develop more sentient characteristics.

I would like to see the latter happen, if only to see what happens to Apollo and Starbuck's friendship if he's involved with someone else. Yeah, men and women can be just friends, but it's not easy.

That's a good point. It seems like they go through turns of being jealous of each other, which I actually alternately love/hate because it is kinda cute but I really don't want a relationship to develop out of it. I did love her reaction when he kissed her in Home, the way she stressed his rank. (Perhaps I only noticed that because I have a crush on one of my officers... but I'm moving tomorrow and she won't be my direct superior anymore.)

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

• Interests:SF (especially Star Trek and its various incarnations, and the new, good Battlestar Galactica), and Autism Activism ("Aut Disce, Aut Discede", y'all!).

Posted Oct 27, 2005 @ 10:48 PM

As someone involved in a real-life triad, I'm interested to see the Helo/Sharon/Tyrol triad developing. The guys are uncomfortable when they have time to think about it - but, when the chips are down (like rescuing Sharon from Lt. Rapehead), they know what's important in their lives. Tyrol even took the time to talk Helo down, knowing they should both go to Sharon's rescue. I'm seeing a fascinating future for these three...

CaptTightpants

CaptTightpants

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 12:48 AM

Men who are in love don't punch their women in the face. They don't do it. I know she hit him first. I'm not saying he's an abusive prick or anything, but men behave differently around women who they are truly in love with. Galveston

I really think this has to be viewed within the context of the show's setting. It is a military setting, it's a language in which all the characters seem to communicate in at one time or another. I mean, I hate hate hate guns, i want nothing to do with them and I don't want them around me. I personally don't think people should have guns. However guns don't really bother me when I watch the show becuase it fits into this world appropriately. Guns are kinda cool when it's for pretend!:)

But really, on Galactica everyone seems to express love with punches to the face. Look at the Tighs. This is why my Helo/Tyrol shipping will happen - they have engaged in the Galactican foreplay rite of fistfighting. SmokingCatamite

Hee! Like Scarlett and Rhett! I'm a little partial to the Lee/Helo myself, just cos, well, my TV would melt if they were both onscreen naked at the same time.

Heh, the first episode I saw was Flight of the Phoenix and when I saw Starbuck slam Racetrack, I decided I wanted to see that again, ahem, in private. I was surprised to find no one shipped them until I realized that Racetrack is only in a few episodes. Sing1118

I'm a straight girl and even I think that's hot:). And they have engaged in the aforementioned "foreplay rite of fistfighting"!

That said, I don't have too much of an investment in any ship over the other. All I ask is they don't interfere with the other more interesting aspects of the show (read: just about all of it), and they're believable, and that the show doesn't try to force chemistry where there isn't any. Firestarter

Word. I admit to guiltily enjoying the chemistry between Starbuck and Apollo, and am not opposed to other couplings, however, I don't want romances to take center stage on this show for it's own sake. (Since this is scifi and the writers rock, I'm not too worried about that happening.) It's a great way to kill time until the show comes back (and to, um, procrastinate all my work projects), but I prefer my ships on boards and fanfiction.

I really like that the romances have either been sweet little glimpes (like Billy/Dee) or interesting parts of the plot (like Boomer/Helo tying into the creepy cylon baby plan). And no cute babies, unless they are evil or plot devices (see Boomer/Helo baby;).

As someone involved in a real-life triad, I'm interested to see the Helo/Sharon/Tyrol triad developing. Irish Wolf

You play games with Octagonal cards? That's so cool! :))

Edited by CaptTightpants, Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:01 AM.

Raina SaDiablo

Raina SaDiablo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:34 AM

But really, on Galactica everyone seems to express love with punches to the face.

That's actually a really good point, both literally and metaphorically. Just look at all the couples on the show (with the exception of Billy/Dee).

Boomer and Tyrol yelled and screamed at each other before making out.
Helo shot Sharon.
The Tighs got physically abusive towards each other.
Then Lee and Kara punched each other, if you interpret that as them secretly being in love and not something else.

So I wonder if that means that Starbuck and Racetrack will indeed get it on. ;)

galveston

galveston

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:42 AM

But really, on Galactica everyone seems to express love with punches to the face.

I don't recall Bill and Lee ever punching each other in the face. If any two characters love each other--it's them. They may be the only two who really love each other. Best 'ship on BSG. My goodness, Bill actually put his arms around his son to express affection, returning love for his son's bitterness. What a concept. Better than a punch in the face any day of the century.

CaptTightpants

CaptTightpants

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 2:01 AM

I don't recall Bill and Lee ever punching each other in the face.Galveston

Technically, I think they were wailing on each other at the beginnning of KLG1. But since they were wearing gloves and in a gym, I will concede that that scene probably doesn't count.

I think the hitting applied more to ahem, sexual "love" more than familial love.

So I wonder if that means that Starbuck and Racetrack will indeed get it on. ;)Raina

It does seem to be one of the ways the writers like to communicate sexual tension. You could even stretch it to say that the Dee/Lee scene involved simulated combat. (I realize that he was teaching/mentoring her and that's very different and nicer.) But I do think that the writers find combative situations sexy and like to use them as metaphors for sexual attraction.

So bring on the Kara/Racetrack and Tyrol/Helo, I say! It's all good! I ship everyone!

Edited by CaptTightpants, Oct 28, 2005 @ 2:19 AM.

Raina SaDiablo

Raina SaDiablo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 2:14 AM

I don't recall Bill and Lee ever punching each other in the face. If any two characters love each other--it's them. They may be the only two who really love each other.

I know, and I really hope they show more of their relationship in the latter part of S2, because I feel like we've really missed a lot of their interactions.

But I do think that the writers find combative situations sexy and like to use them as metaphors for sexual attraction.

Combative situations are totally sexy! *smiles innocently*

Hateza

Hateza

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 2:28 AM

Toaster-Love FoRever!!!

I so need a tshirt that says that.
I'm mixed on the Sharon/Helo thing. I mean, I'd like to believe she's capable of love, but she's not human. I hope you're right and she can develop more sentient characteristics.

Sing1118, the t-shirt is a great gift idea for friends.

I can see your point. I'm not sure how much I want Sharon to advance though. If she has a true mothering instinct and capacity to love her family, I think I'd be pretty satisfied (I'm easy...really easy). I don't want her to be too human. Do you know what I mean?

Overall, I'm not really bothered that she's faster, stronger and smarter than everyone else. What bothers me is that in the process she makes Helo look like a dummy when in reality he's brave, loyal, selfless and has an incredible world view. In other words, if the writers don't advance him intelligently, we won't be able to tell Helo from a cylon raider. He'll become a pet that might enjoy a bit of humming every now and then.

I hate Apollo/Starbuck as well. Please, please, please, get it out of your systems and move on. galveston

I don't mind the StarPollo shipping per se but as you pointed out, there really isn't good chemistry between the two actors. It feels a bit contrived. They should be good friends. By making Starbuck a woman, this pretty much set the romance thing in action. I probably would be more receptive if Starbuck hadn't been in love or fracking Zack. I'm thinking that Starbuck/Baltar/Six is a great three-way!!! After all, they've done it before. Tee Hee.

Furthermore, when I first saw Starbuck I thought she was a cool, confident and together young lady with a serious attitude problem owing to egotism. With each passing episode though, we see her as broken. Thus, the message is that Lee and his love are supposed to be the cure for what ails her. That's great for fanfiction but I don't want to see it in the show itself.

Two seconds on a mat with Kandyse McClure was all it took to show just how little Bamber and Sackhoff have in terms of presence. Two seconds on a self defense mat with Dee and Apollo and I went "Wow! They click! They're perfect! They have it going on! They have 'it.' "galveston

I'm all the way with you here! I was sort of halfway watching that scene. It didn't really affect me until right before Billy knocked on the door. Something about the way Bamber looked at Kandyse was like a jolt. I gotta tell you. Even though I saw it coming (the potential shipping) and was prepared to dismiss it, Bamber sold it 100%. Later when Lee acted like a schoolboy while Dee was fiddling with the chief's new toy, I was seriously rooting form them. Did his voice go up one octave or two?

It's weird. I don't get any Billy/Dee vibes at all. Perhaps that's because he's more than likely a cylon. For some reason, he often feels like Pimp Master Doral to me.

Lee/Dee for President of the Colonies!!!

galveston

galveston

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 3:04 AM

By making Starbuck a woman, this pretty much set the romance thing in action.

Exactly. I heard Moore say on a podcast that the sexual tension with Lee was a big reason he made Starbuck a woman. If that's the reason why, it's the wrong reason IMO. Why couldn't RDM make the character a woman solely for the purpose of having a strong female character who's a good friend in the tradition of the old Starbuck and who's a kick ass pilot? What's wrong with that? What's wrong with her and Apollo being the dearest of friends, friends who would die for each other, without the contrived "sexual tension"? Why must there be sexual tension between the male and female lead? I wouldn't have minded that she was engaged to Zach if that had been the device to put in place a brother/sister relationship between Apollo and Starbuck. She was his kid brother's fianceť. Lee thinking of her as a sister would have been wholly plausible and, IMO, preferable. Lee being concerned that Kara was taken care of (without him wanting to bed her) would have been precious. Making Starbuck a woman solely to provide sexual tension is bullshit, pardon my French. She shouldn't need love to "rescue her." Kara needs therapy and a crack in the jaw (retribution, not love)the next time she acts like a bully with Racetrack. That's what she needs. She needs a friend. If Moore wanted her to be an object of Apollo's lust, I'm sorry, but different actors should have been cast as Lee and Kara.

I'm all the way with you here! I was sort of halfway watching that scene. It didn't really affect me until right before Billy knocked on the door. Something about the way Bamber looked at Kandyse was like a jolt.

Oh yes. Lee was irritated that Billy had come in and drawn Dee's attention away. Bamber's great with that subtlety. There was some sexual jealousy going on. I'm just glad that someone amongst TPTB picked up on the Bamber/McClure potential.

Edited by galveston, Oct 28, 2005 @ 3:08 AM.

AshBlue

AshBlue

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 3:37 AM

Apparently I'm in the minority in feeling that Lee and Kara have massive chemistry. Lee and Dualla are cute, but I just don't see a hook-up between them being very interesting for very long. I love the relationship between Starbuck and Apollo, as someone said the little glimpses and hints into their feelings for each other, this really works for me. I don't think they should hook up right now in a true-love forever kind of thing, because there's nowhere good you can really go from there. I guess I'm a conflict/angst with underlying 'soulmates' type of junkie, if that makes any sense. I get that with Starpollo, and I can see the tension (friendship and more) lasting throughout the series. Lee/Dee = cute, but whatever. Granted it seems that Bamber can generate sparks with anyone/anything, so no matter where they take his character, I can see it being 'stimulating' on some level.

I really like that the romances have either been sweet little glimpes (like Billy/Dee) or interesting parts of the plot (like Boomer/Helo tying into the creepy cylon baby plan). And no cute babies, unless they are evil or plot devices (see Boomer/Helo baby;).

Whatever else happens, please-- no cute babies. I haven't minded the brief Boxy bits, since he's more of a comic snarky kid, and not an adorable moppet. Kids just don't fit into this show, and I hope any babies that show up are part of a bigger plot device.

As for Kara/Racetrack and Tyrol/Helo, let's just throw them all into a room together and see what happens. ;)

Sing1118

Sing1118

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 4:42 AM

So I wonder if that means that Starbuck and Racetrack will indeed get it on. ;)Raina

So bring on the Kara/Racetrack and Tyrol/Helo, I say! It's all good! I ship everyone! CaptTightPants

Oh, I would be such a happy chicky if that happened. And I must say it's a relief to not be the only one who sees something there.

Lee thinking of [Starbuck] as a sister would have been wholly plausible and, IMO, preferable. galveston

That would make so much more sense. It's disappointing to hear that the reason RM made Starbuck a she for sexual tension, but I wouldn't have her any other way- KS is hot, she and JB are really cute as friends (someone brought up the helmet scene- they were adorable!), and I think she's great as a cocky, kickass pilot. The scene I always think of is when she's flying back in the Cylon raider and Apollo says it's flying with attitude, and then they both wiggle their ships- I don't know why, but I absolutely loved that.

Ifp

Ifp

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 7:05 AM

You can chalk me up for someone else who doesnít like the idea of Lee and Starbuck getting together. Iíve seen so many shows have the main man and woman get into a maybe/maybe-not romantic relationship and it usually ends up eating the show. I love the idea of Battlestar Galactica being forward thinking enough to allow them to remain friends and thatís it. I feel the same way about the President and Adama. It would be too Ďcuteí and easy if they got together. I like the idea of having guest stars and new additions to the cast along the way to be possible romantic partners to our main group.

I also think it would be a great opportunity to do something else groundbreaking and have a main character be gay and make it not an issue in any way. No worrying about coming out, no worry about bad reaction from friends and family, no worry about diseases. Just a person. I understand that in reality gay/bi/tran people are faced with some of those worries but it'd be lovely to see a universe where they didn't. Maybe thatís too forward thinking for the show (or, more likely, the network) though. A huge amount of sci-fiís fans are gay and Iím amazed that more shows with huge gay fan-bases havenít noticed this and plundered it. Alias, X-Files, Star-trek etc. Buffy had a gay character didn't it?

I personally like the idea of Lee being bi or something. How great it would be if he met someone and had a relationship with him and it was never mentioned once in the show that it was different or unexpected? That would rock. Plus, I really want see Jamie kiss a guy, whilst wearing the towel. Or not wearing one at all. *faints*

CW82

CW82

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 11:16 AM

I'm definitely in favor of Lee/Dualla. It's a pairing I've thought about for quite a while, so I couldn't be happier that RDM decided to explore it. Bamber and Kandyse have wonderful chemistry.

Two seconds on a mat with Kandyse McClure was all it took to show just how little Bamber and Sackhoff have in terms of presence. Two seconds on a self defense mat with Dee and Apollo and I went "Wow! They click! They're perfect! They have it going on! They have 'it."

Yes, I felt the same way.

Please no Star/Pollo relationship. Just.....NO. Personally I only see them as a friends/brother/sister type thing, not romantic (I just don't get that vibe). I've seen countless shows where the main guy/main girl are paired together or they do the "Will they/Won't they" dance, and quite frankly it's tiresome. I don't want to see that happen on this show. The s/l tends to takeover or become the main focus, and honestly it's just way too predictable for me. Star/Pollo work well as being best friends, anything else is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

CaptTightpants

CaptTightpants

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 12:38 PM

It's disappointing to hear that the reason RM made Starbuck a she for sexual tension.

I believe in the commentary for the mini, Moore said that the sexual tension was one of the reasons, as opposed to the only reason. Big difference in my book, the writers are too good to create an entire primary female character just to hook it up with apollo, Starbuck is a very well defined character that the writers have obviously put a lot of effort and thought into, so whatever the motivation for creating her, she's hardly a romantic foil.

Apparently I'm in the minority in feeling that Lee and Kara have massive chemistry. Lee and Dualla are cute, but I just don't see a hook-up between them being very interesting for very long. AshBlue

Personally, every time I see Lee and Kara onscreen, I am afraid my TV set might explode from the pure scorchy hotness of it. So there, you have my support:). The truth is out there, Scully. (Not so much a minority, i suspect, either:).

I also love their interactions, that their chemisty doesn't take over the show. Those little glimpses of their very complicated messy feelings for each other add depth to the characters without overtaking the narrative (see above post re: romance plots taking over the show).

I don't really care re: Lee/Dee as long as the writers make it work for me and of course, don't let it take over the show, but i ageee it just sounds kinda sweet and well, meh. But I am willing to let the writers try to convince me.

I mean, as much chemistry as I see with L/K, I don't want to see them in some true love romance "let's have babies" situation either, I like me the angst. Also, anyone who has tried to watch Alias this season knows that babies are bad bad bad. This is post-apocalyptic scifi about the extermination of the human race, not 7th Heaven:).

Iíve seen so many shows have the main man and woman get into a maybe/maybe-not romantic relationship and it usually ends up eating the show.Ifp

I would say that there is no such thing as a new story, it's all in the telling of it. And it's not as though the big Hero taking up with the sweet young pretty supporting character is groundbreaking stuff.

I agree though, romances must never take over the show. I think the Aeryn/Crighton storyline is a good example of this sort of thing working, well, at least up to the beginning of season four, which is where I am on my Netflix queue. It looks like there might be a baby (Noooooo!), so I shall have to see how this pans out.

RDM talked about this a little in the TV Guide interview, that he wants to continue to work with the L/K thing, but wants to keep it from being coy or cute. I think he is on the right track personally. As long as the romances are natural aspects of character growth and are subtly alluded to as opposed to plots in an of themselves, we are on good ground, I think, for any show romance the writers decide to do.

Two seconds on a self defense mat with Dee and Apollo and I went "Wow! They click! They're perfect! They have it going on! They have 'it." Galveston

On the other hand, I was watching that scene and I thought, "How weird that she's a soldier who doesn't know self defense, hey, she has nice arms, I wonder what kind of weight training she does, I need to talk to my personal trainer about that. Hey wait, are they checking each other out or something? Huh, that was odd, don't be such an idiot Apollo. I guess the writers must want to hook them up or something, huh. Now where did I leave that martini?"

But hey, that's okay, if the writers fail to convince me, I have the other plots and my booze. And I can ship Kara/Racetrack and Lee/Helo.

I also think it would be a great opportunity to do something else groundbreaking and have a main character be gay and make it not an issue in any way...I personally like the idea of Lee being bi or something. How great it would be if he met someone and had a relationship with him and it was never mentioned once in the show that it was different or unexpected? That would rock. Plus, I really want see Jamie kiss a guy, whilst wearing the towel. Or not wearing one at all. *faints* Ifp

I agree, the show needs some gaying up. Bi Lee would be hot! And Starbuck would so totally ask to watch.

It's a good thing nobody lets me tell the writers what to do, I would make my barbies beat each other up and have sex all the time:).

ETA: I got the quote boxes to work!

Edited by CaptTightpants, Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:37 PM.

Mr Kit

Mr Kit

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:34 PM

I'm thinking that Starbuck/Baltar/Six is a great three-way!!!

Careful. Given how much taller Six is than either of them that might require serious trigonometry!

Starbuck totally fancies(d) Dr B, and DID NOT get her panties off with him because she hates herself. I thought it could be a fun, if perhaps slightly distasteful for both parties, casual realtionship. But now PegaSix is around to distract the Dr, presumably for a whilte, and Starbuck has gone and buggered it up. *sigh* I would like to see it come back.

Behaviourwise, Stollock is chemical to me, but I agree they don't really look right together. She's very hot, but not in the more delicate handsome Victorian gentleman way of JB. I think she's more the swarthy farm-hand type, and you can better imagine Helo casting seed with his mighty hands and waving his big scythe about and whatnot :-)

It seemed maybe Katee was being fed through the skinny-ma-tron last thing I saw, so we'll see how things work in the next ten episodes.

Edited by Mr Kit, Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:39 PM.

CaptTightpants

CaptTightpants

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:55 PM

Starbuck totally fancies(d) Dr B,... I would like to see it come back.

The ultimate threesome. My only concern would be that Starbuck would eventually get irritated with him and shoot him dead with her big gun.

you can better imagine Helo casting seed with his mighty hands and waving his big scythe about and whatnot :-)

Hee. I'd watch that.

It seemed maybe Katee was being fed through the skinny-ma-tron last thing I saw, so we'll see how things work in the next ten episodes.

Hope girlfriend doesn't go all Lindsay Lohann skanky skinny. The curves are hot.

Edited by CaptTightpants, Oct 28, 2005 @ 1:56 PM.

Number6

Number6

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 28, 2005 @ 2:14 PM

Starbuck/Racetrack? I would totally ship that.

But for now I ship Glare.Adama/Roslin. Did you hear the lonliness in Adama's voice when he was telling Tigh that no one knows the burdens he's under?

Ros and Glareboy need someone Tooooo Luuuurrvve.