The Biggest Loser (Australia)

• Please log in to reply

10922 replies to this topic

lozzie

lozzie

Channel Surfer

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 12:06 AM

I think the Green Team is the saving grace of this season. The whole time they have been really amazing, they have worked hard, appreciated the opportunity and I think they have their priorities right as well. They are proud of themselves and they haven't bowed down to petty games and alliances because they are better and stronger than that. The other thing I like is how mature Todd is. He makes the other kids look really immature because he is much more dedicated and mature than they are, and he's only 15 years old. I stopped watching a while ago, but the only reason why I see the results is because I love the Green Team and I'll be really impressed if they win since they'll be the first winners I've liked in a long time.

Ambrose's Auntie

Ambrose's Auntie

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 1:50 AM

I really liked the green team's approach to Train the Trainer.  The other teams were focused on revenge, smashing the trainers (getting Commando's shirt off - well, that's okay) but Todd and Gerald were all about Shannan breaking house records and how inspirational and impressive he was.  It was a lovely change from the usual approach. 

In the meantime, Richard thinks people are meanies: http://www.news.com....i-1226651269412  Whilst I do not condone people ever bullying or making threats, the whining from RIchard is a bit rich.  And if Amber was clinically depressed, what the hell is she doing on this show?  I can't imagine any psychiatrist or psychologist with half a brain in their head allowing that to happen.  All blue ever wanted was the money, so there has been no inspirational or, I suspect, lasting change.  Green were all about their health, their family and improving their lives, and I really hope they win.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 5:24 AM

All I have to say to that is boo frickin' hoo, King Dick.  You can't be edited as a villain if you don't act the part, mate.

SilverSpoon

SilverSpoon

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 6:23 AM

HA! Eat shit, blue team!

Good for you, orange girls, despite the ridiculous alliance and some stomach turningly smug looks at weigh-ins, I knew you seemed like good eggs deep down. Would have been totally understandable of them to vote the green team out, but the way they summed up their reasons for saving them spoke a lot for their characters (though even having just said that, I can't help but secretly wonder if the producers cut some kind of deal with them to save them lest have the most ghastly final 3 ever…).

Green team are awesome as always. Standing there smiling clapping for the orange team when they got pushed below the line, and calmly telling the cameras they were happy for them and never mind that they won't win the show now, what great people. How great to see a good attitude and work ethic actually pay off for someone on this show.

Blue team sucks. What rat bastards, admitting they would have voted out the orange girls if they fell below the line. Richard snarling smugly while practically salivating as he voted the green team off. Taking it as a personal slight against themselves when the orange team voted to save them, and then getting offended a 2nd time when the orange team said that they welcome the healthy competition of going up against the green team in the final, because that meant people weren't patting us on the back, and talking about how awesome we are, it's all about us, why can't we just treat people however we please and get whatever we want? Why?

That article linked above is ridiculous. I agree threats of violence are uncalled for, however, can they really be surprised that the reaction they are getting is negative? Have you ever lived in a society before? People tend not to look favourably on this kind of behaviour. Do you want to be friends with, live alongside, or work with people with your kind of selfish attitudes? Why should anyone else? Yes it's a game, feel free to vote strategically, but do it while wishing someone the very best of luck,  not beaming broadly and unable to contain your glee when someone fails, rubbing peoples faces in your success, and do it while doing all you can from your own side to do well on your own terms and not needing to rely on your "friendship" to make it...your friendship you're happy to place to the side as soon as it can't do anything more for you.

I think Green team would have to be the favourites in the finale, but after tonight I could totally live with the orange team winning. I think I'd die a thousand deaths if the blue team won, but I'm not going to lose too much sleep over that thought...

watchingone

watchingone

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 7:38 AM

Well I have hardly watched this season until very recently as I was so repulsed by the horrid children - except Todd of course, who is beyond fabulous.  In the group of utterly terrible is pink girl who is just unrelentingly nasty and foul to her mother and Amber, who is just a lazy spoilt git. But I feel a little for her as Rickhead is her father and that would certainly be hard to take. But her smug skip to collect winning ticket when poor green nearly keeled over in NZ reminded me instantly why I am not able to cut her too much slack.

I dislike Rickhead with such a passion I am amazed our television remains intact. 

However tonight was a reward for my (days!) of viewing. Even though I wasn't a huge fan of orange, they seemed to have done the hard yards and when it counted they behaved right to give everyone's favourite team a shot at the end. (Or did they decide to back themselves for the shot at winning and make sure that Rickhead could only get a 3rd place as blues clearly were going to shaft them if they went below the yellow line? Surely there is no way that Amber can go hard when not having restricted food and trainers on tap.)

Go green! Honourably played with integrity and hard work. Excellent. Love Todd, love Gerald - great result to be at the final.

retrograde85

retrograde85

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 6:49 PM

I've no doubt Richard received a villain edit, but ranting at Orange like that after they'd made their vote proves he's a dick. The decision was done, it couldn't be changed, so he was just being a jerk. And Gerald seems like a pretty upstanding dude, so the fact that he clearly thought Richard was a manipulative arsehole too is a pretty convincing case. 

On the upside, I can't imagine Richard would be whinging to the press if he'd won. So there's that to hold onto. 

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 8:56 PM

(though even having just said that, I can't help but secretly wonder if the producers cut some kind of deal with them to save them lest have the most ghastly final 3 ever…).

Oh I definitely think there was some producer interference here. I couldn't imagine the producers spending the whole season portraying the Greens favourably, only to have them leave before the finals. In addition, the producers also seem keen to depict the Blues as the villains - I don't think you could make them sink any lower than having them yell at the Oranges for not voting the Greens out. (Just like I am sure there has been some manipulation keep Light Blues in for as long as possible)

I've no doubt Richard received a villain edit, but ranting at Orange like that after they'd made their vote proves he's a dick. The decision was done, it couldn't be changed, so he was just being a jerk.

I totally agree. I can readily agree that the light Blues have been the token villains this year, and I am sure there has been editing involved. But I don't think anyone has had to try particularly hard to portray them badly. I think that unlike the other contestants, Richard and Amber have been very shortsighted and have never really thought about life beyond the Biggest Loser.

Kromm

Kromm

Fanatic

Posted May 27, 2013 @ 11:44 PM

I think the Green Team is the saving grace of this season. The whole time they have been really amazing, they have worked hard, appreciated the opportunity and I think they have their priorities right as well. They are proud of themselves and they haven't bowed down to petty games and alliances because they are better and stronger than that. The other thing I like is how mature Todd is. He makes the other kids look really immature because he is much more dedicated and mature than they are, and he's only 15 years old. I stopped watching a while ago, but the only reason why I see the results is because I love the Green Team and I'll be really impressed if they win since they'll be the first winners I've liked in a long time.

My only small issue with Green is that they seem to have signed on to everything Todd saying in a confessional being read off a teleprompter.  The kid speaks completely differently in those segments than anywhere else, with that stilted stop and start manner.

Data1001

Data1001

Just Tuned In

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 3:45 AM

My only small issue with Green is that they seem to have signed on to everything Todd saying in a confessional being read off a teleprompter.  The kid speaks completely differently in those segments than anywhere else, with that stilted stop and start manner.

I would assume, just as there are creative edits that enhance or even create drama, the confessional segments to camera are probably highly rehearsed and prompted.

For example, you'll notice that nearly every time a contestant comes on just before their weigh-in results are shown, what they say in confessional is opposite to what actually happens. (That's actually a peeve of mine, since it's such a tried-and-true device on TBL that it pretty much gives away the results. So when Robyn said in this final weigh-in that there was no way they'd get that kind of weight loss, I immediately thought, "Oh, orange team made it to the finals"  -- and sure enough, that was what happened.)

All blue ever wanted was the money, so there has been no inspirational or, I suspect, lasting change.  Green were all about their health, their family and improving their lives, and I really hope they win.

My theory regarding the blue team is that the producers approached them early on in the competition and said something to the effect of, "We need an antagonist. If you're interested in having a little fun at the other contestants' expense, we'll give you lots of screen time, and will even encourage the other teams that it's in their best interest to keep you in the competition as long as possible." And Richard seems like the kind of guy to say, "We're IN."  So I have no doubt there was a conscious effort on the part of the producers but also on his part to play the role of villain. And there may have even been a few moments from the show that were taken completely out of context. I honestly didn't dislike him all that much in the beginning -- not any more than red team, for instance. But at some point the evidence began to stack up too high, and all the comments about only being there to win money put me off him more than anything. I knew then that he was probably the most likely person to gain all their weight back after the show was over.

Reading the article linked above, I found myself laughing at the ludicrousness of his claims. Mostly, however, when he stated that he was happier when he was obese was when I knew that any changes he'd made were only external. I had an extremely overweight roommate years ago who did a famous diet program and lost an amazing amount of weight in a short time, to the point where he was very close to reaching his ultimate goal weight -- and the thing he told me when he was at his skinniest was that he missed being big... he couldn't wrestle his buddies to the ground anymore. I obviously was slack-jawed at that statement... and it wasn't 6 months later that he'd gained it all back, and then some.

Green team will keep it off, or at least Todd will, because he's made the change early enough in his life. It's all about the attitude, and the internal changes are just as important, if not more so, than the external ones.

babybluez

babybluez

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 6:24 AM

Aw Hayley crying over the Green team was adorable - she loves them as much as we do!

Amber's new haircut with the blunt fringe did not suit her imo. King Dick looked like such a douche when he swaggered out with his bow tie undone. Ugh, finished getting dressed you moron.

Also, every time they panned to the trainers I kept thinking about the Woman's Day "trainer love affair scandal" lol - it kind of took me out of it.

I can't believe how little weight Cher lost. Plus is it just me or was all her weight at the too if her arms? She is so oddly proportioned.

SilverSpoon

SilverSpoon

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 7:00 AM

Aaw, so close! :( Well I'm disappointed the green team didn't win it, but the orange team obviously worked hard, and played well at the end of the day. Can't begrudge anyone of that. I'm sure they they are thrilled they made the decision to save the greens as they did, and I'll bet it really did push them to work that extra bit harder than if it were just them as the frontrunners against the blue and pink teams. I hope Richard feels like a jerk for telling them they had "handed the prize money to the green team".

Hayley's reaction to the green team was gorgeous. Although Hayley manages her role with a total poker face, whenever she does break away from the autocue I think she seems like a very good yardstick for what s really going on in that house.

I also ventured to the biggest loser Facebook page last night, and was shocked to see that EVERYONE loved the green team, EVERYONE hated the blue team, and the only thing that seemed to save the tide of hatred towerd the orange team was their choice to save the beloved greens. I'm so used to everyone inexplicably loving the most terrible contestants and voting out anyone I grow the slightest affection to whenever I start following a reality show. To see everyone basically giving a collective finger to King Dick warmed the cockles of my heart.

All of the blues posturing about winning the $200,000 at any cost seems all the more stupid when you see them standing quite comfortably in 3rd place, not even close to getting their hands on it. Hope your $10,000 was worth it.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 7:43 AM

Just finished watching the FINARLEEE! and I would also have preferred a Green win, but I have to give full credit to Team Orange.  They both did a great job and looked amazing.  Remember how when this show first started it was thought to be very difficult for female contestants to win?  The past few seasons it's been majorly girl power, hasn't it?

The thing which struck me (and it's hard to comment with authority seeing I missed most of the season) is that the majority of eliminated contestants didn't seem to lose much weight at all.  It seemed to me they lost noticeably less than in previous seasons.  Was it a shorter run time between the start of filming and the finale?

ora wai

ora wai

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 7:45 AM

If it couldn't have been the Green team (and the cynic in me says that the producers thought that they were too quiet and reserved for the media scrum), then I am bloody chuffed it's the Orange. Robyn is hilarious and her and Katie have more or less put the effort in all the time. I am not surprised that Amber couldn't pull it out, she didn't really have a goal beyond fame and money - if you're on this show, you need to want to lose the weight for the sake of losing the weight (Green), or to achieve a goal like getting into the Army (not that I think Katie will, but it's still a good goal). I thought the Black and Red teams were just as odious as Light Blue, but they just didn't say as much shit as Richard.

I do really hope that those who are still losing weight, continue to do so, and those who aren't, are getting some psychological help. Particularly Pink.

retrograde85

retrograde85

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 4:38 PM

or to achieve a goal like getting into the Army (not that I think Katie will, but it's still a good goal)

Is getting into the Australian Army that hard? I don't know much about it, but I wouldn't have thought people were falling over themselves to join.

Random thoughts on the finale:

- Agree that Hayley crying was genuinely very sweet, but it was also the moment I knew they had definitely lost

- Obviously I'd rather Green had won, but at least Orange winning proved Richard's pissy lecture on why they should have voted Green out redundant. AND with Pink's final results, even if they had, Light Blue still would have come in last, so nya. 

- They also came in behind Black and Grey. So in the end, the only way they could have won was to have manipulated the game enough to get into the final three with two out of Red, Dark Blue and Yellow. Which, frankly, would have been almost impossible. So double nya. 

- I hope Todd and Gerald now completely disappear from the limelight. I would hate to see the Australian media successfully capitalise on their popularity by roping them into embarrassing themselves on other reality shows (hello, Celebrity Circus) or every second edition of Women's Weekly. They are not Waz and Gav. 

- Why do they keep dressing Todd like he's going to a douchey suburban night club? 

- I assume the wardrobe people were trying to make Richard look something approximating "dapper" with that untied bowtie, but he looked more like your embarrassing drunk uncle at a wedding.

- The "heavyweights" sure turned out to be a bust, didn't they?

- I wish I could be more optimistic for Kevin. Once he hits the necessary weight, I suspect he will probably get the gastic bypass surgery. And he probably should.

- Best transformations: Sam, Brett, Mandy, Robyn, Todd, Chris, Janet. 

- People I actually think will keep the weight off: Todd, Mandy, Brett, Katie, Mark.

Edited by retrograde85, May 28, 2013 @ 4:42 PM.

QueenoftheDucks

QueenoftheDucks

Couch Potato

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 9:43 PM

It seemed a shame that the Light Blues won any money given that they also did worse than 3 of the eliminated contestants (Pinks, Greys and Blacks). Even if the Pinks had stayed instead of the Greens - the Light Blues would have always ended up third. I hope that the 10,000 dollar was worth behaving like children in front of national TV

I wanted the Greens to win (and they only lost by a small margin) - but at least the Oranges won it on merit rather than manipulation.

Robyn looked fantastic. As did Mandy and Janet. It was nice to see that this was the year of girl power - and that the older women seemed to have the best transformations.

There are a few that I am not that optimistic about - I am sure Amber, Cher and Kevin will regain their original weight.

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted May 28, 2013 @ 11:10 PM

The thing which struck me (and it's hard to comment with authority seeing I missed most of the season) is that the majority of eliminated contestants didn't seem to lose much weight at all.  It seemed to me they lost noticeably less than in previous seasons.  Was it a shorter run time between the start of filming and the finale?

I think so. Looking back at the results on Wikipedia, every season except this and the first has had multiple people lose over 40% of their starting weight (and Bob lost over 50%), but even the twelve-person first season had five people lose over 35%, while here (with eighteen players, and an extra week in the house) only Gerald and Janet lost 35%. And Janet's 35.65% is the smallest weight-loss for any of the eliminated-player winners. Also, this is the first season where nobody's ended up with a "healthy" BMI rating - in the Families season only three of the sixteen players were still classed as obese at the finale, while here it's everyone except for Robyn, Todd, and the Pink Team.

retrograde85

retrograde85

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 12:08 AM

Buried at the bottom of this article:

The next series of The Biggest Loser will take place in one of Australia’s fattest towns, Ararat, "where The Biggest Loser trainers will challenge Australia"

I imagine an entire season set in country Victoria will take Australian reality TV mangling of the English language to new heights. I can't wait. 

Also, this recap of the finale is laugh-out-loud funny.

Finally, I just noticed another reason to love Todd and Gerald: they appeared to be some of the only contestants who didn't get their teeth whitened before the finale. Bravo.

nozycat

nozycat

Couch Potato

Posted May 29, 2013 @ 2:11 AM

I also can live with an orange win, liked both Robyn and Katie's sense of humour, they both made me laugh out loud at times, and they redeemed themselves for me when the voted green to stay for the finale.  King Dick can just go away with his hypocrisy and arrogance and everything else.

Still would have preferred a green win and wow that was close between them.  Awww @ Haley going all proud mum over them.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 5:54 AM

Wow, did anyone tune in to the bizarre special on Ten tonight about the top 25 BL makeovers?  I mean, I enjoyed seeing some of them again - the weird part was the procession of Ten "celebrities" talking about the contestants as though they were their best friends.  Weird.

The program was also notable for managing not to show a single shot of Ajay even from the footage of her seasons.  I think she's become persona non grata with the show's PTB due to her recent media commentary about the show.

Edited by katisha66, Jun 24, 2013 @ 5:56 AM.

babybluez

babybluez

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 6:58 AM

I was lmao seeing Toady and Dr Karl from Neighbours trying to offer serious commentary .  So bizarre.

SilverSpoon

SilverSpoon

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 7:39 AM

I found the whole thing weird to the point of feeling kind of creepy just in terms of how absolutely disingenuous it was to have these celebrities (well, "celebrities") talking about the the contestants like it was just yesterday. I think it's fair to say I'm a more active watcher than most, certainly more than Karl Kennedy, or Ranger Stacey, and I could barely remember half of these people. Let alone remember what was going through my head during specific moments like "wow, when Fiona from season 1 climbed to the top of the rockclimbing wall and rang that bell, man, it was just amazing". What? When?

Have Dr Chris Brown and Hayden from Masterchef if you must, but why not just show them the before and after video and get an honest reaction of "whoa, that's a big difference!", rather than "Yeah, he was such an inspiration, I was breathless with pride when he walked out at the finale! 4 seasons ago!"

SnideAsides

SnideAsides

Fanatic

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:06 PM

And apparently there's another special next week. Because this rates so much better than The Truth Is.

tigertim

tigertim

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 5:53 AM

BAAAABIES!!1! made the Top Ten? Whaaaaa?

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 5:56 AM

OMIGOURD! Never in a million years did I think old Munnalita would make it onto the top 20 makeovers!  I also never thought I'd hear a series of Teen stars waxing lyrical about how her multi-streaked hairstyle was a "mask" to cover up her deep inner sadness.  Hee, I love unexpected comedy!

tigertim

tigertim

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:02 AM

No....surely Cothi can't be part of this???

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:05 AM

Oh, no.  You're kidding me.  Not The Methiah!  And his "preggers mithuz" to boot!

And on a less nice note, shouldn't they have only included people who have kept their weight off?  I know at least Meghan hasn't and I very much doubt Moana did.  If Cothi did I'd die of shock.

Edited by katisha66, Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:07 AM.

tigertim

tigertim

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 1, 2013 @ 6:09 AM

...he hadn't even kept it off when they brought him back for the 'Inspiring Former Contestants' visit a few years later

tigertim

tigertim

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 28, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

Oh dear....

http://news.ninemsn....ner-leaves-wife

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Nov 28, 2013 @ 10:46 AM

Oh dear for more than one reason - the article says he was the winner of the season.  I didn't even watch most of the show this year and even I know he came third.  And either way, he's a douche!

ora wai

ora wai

Fanatic

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 7:34 AM

Not long now until Commando is back!

I do feel really sorry for Mary, who they are solely featuring in the ads currently on every five seconds (just now there were three in a row! Seriously, channel 10, how much did you pay for "Roar" that you have to get your value out of it?). I really hope that she has an amazing transformation that makes it all worthwhile, because this is painful - I can't imagine what it would be like for her or her family.