The Biggest Loser (Australia)

• Please log in to reply

10922 replies to this topic

CTarnak

CTarnak

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 8:14 AM

Sweaty beached whales every night? No THANK you. I honestly don't understand the attraction of this show. It flies in the face of why Baywatch was (supposedly) popular. I've never watched the US version, but I might give it a go. Who is the host (apart from those trainers that seem lust-worthy, apparently)?

I hope they import Marjorie from Little Britain to hound those fatties. "If you're feeling a bit peckish..... have a bit of dust"

Djelibeybi

Djelibeybi

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 4:03 PM

Host of the US-version is Caroline Rhea, who's is (was?) one of the aunts in Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. The show is great: These people actually do change their lives. Its a reality show that I can actually applaud. Unlike those hideous extreme makeover programs: "Got a problem? Let's put you through SURGERY!", this one is all about diet and exercise. The real and lasting way to lose weight.

And Bob is weigh geigh. And that's just fine with me. :)

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 7:03 PM

Sweaty beached whales every night? No THANK you. I honestly don't understand the attraction of this show.

CTarnak, I think it's appealing because when people do well on the show, they come out it looking great and with changed lives, and that's the Cinderella stoy that gets you in. I don't think the show is about - or should be about - watching fat people exercise or run along a beach. And I say this as a fat person. ;)

Example - Pete from the US Biggest Loser II.

Pete before.

Pete after.

I think it's incredible he's been able to do that. He lost 81kg because of that show, without surgery.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 7:27 PM

I agree with Djelibeybi and katisha, this show is a great reality show, because there is actually a point to the whole exercise. These people are changing their lives in the process of working towards the grand prize.

Survivor for that reason annoys me, because the challenges they are set are totally synthetic. The challenges in TBL generally mimick the real life ones these people will face in times to come. The whole thing is more 'real' than most 'reality' shows and I like it that way.

Francie

Francie

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 8:26 PM

Another thing I was wondering was how the contestants will go with the very touchy-feely approach of Bob & Jillian. I think they're great trainers, but I can imagine a lot of Aussies just laughing at some of the over-the-top - and over-enunciated, Jillian- exhortations they make. And, literally, the touching.

But I think when they are there and in that environment the will respond well to it.

Djelibeybi

Djelibeybi

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 5, 2005 @ 10:17 PM

Survivor for that reason annoys me, because the challenges they are set are totally synthetic.

I finally realised a while ago why I enjoy certain reality shows and not others (like I love The Biggest Loser, but I loathe Survivor): I like my reality show contestants to get better looking over the course of the show, not worse. :)

Edited by Djelibeybi, Dec 5, 2005 @ 10:19 PM.

Libellule84

Libellule84

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 8, 2005 @ 2:53 AM

Oh, the other thing is, I heard there won't be a Sunday night show- so it seems it will just be Mon-Fri. But not totally sure on that.

Francie

Francie

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

The trainers are in the country and filming is about to start;

http://dailytelegrap...5001025,00.html

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2005 @ 8:18 PM

Wait. There is only 10 contestants? The hell?

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2005 @ 8:43 PM

Oops. Nothing to see here.

Edited by katisha66, Dec 19, 2005 @ 4:30 PM.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2005 @ 4:32 PM

For those planning to watch the show, I have just read in TV Weak that the Australian host is going to be AJ Rochester. You couldn't have picked someone better IMO. She lost a stack of weight herself (50kg, I believe) and is good value. This book she wrote is a great read.

cavalier196

cavalier196

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2005 @ 9:37 PM

Ive never heard of this woman, but she and Gretel Killeen? Separated at birth.

Edited by cavalier196, Dec 19, 2005 @ 9:45 PM.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Dec 19, 2005 @ 10:14 PM

Funnily enough, she didn't look like her when she was fat!

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Dec 20, 2005 @ 1:54 AM

Depite the fact she's ANNOYING AS FUCK.

Gah, I enjoyed her first book, but she's turned into a sanctimonious cow. Now I don't know how tall she is, but she wasn't morbidly obese as she keeps claiming (well at the weight she said she was anyways) She was defentitly obese, don't get me wrong, but I really, really hate the way she makes out as if she was this huge fat cow who was just so, so unattractive. She did a good thing and I'm really happy for her that she lost all that weight, but God is she annoying as all get out about it.

I'm a little bit lighter than she was, and while I'm uncomfterble and know I'm overweight, this crap about not being able to wipe yourself, and being SOOOOO giantically fat. ugh.

doonieville

doonieville

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 2, 2006 @ 9:10 PM

I just read the first chapter of AJ's book (thanks for the link Katisha) - she seems to like bragging about her "feature film" work like on The Crossing - I looked at the cast list on imdb.com and it doesn't seem to have her name there, unless she used to go by another name? She just made it sound like she had a major role when I doubt she even had a speaking part. Should be interesting to see her in this hosting role though, hopefully she won't annoy me so much that I'll want to throw my telly out the window.

CTarnak

CTarnak

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 2, 2006 @ 9:26 PM

I think they are doing a pretty good job marketing this show. It seems distinct from the crop of bad reality shows out there.

That guy who goes "I don't want to be a backseat dad" then jumps in a pool? Looks like he belongs in jail. He has creepy dead eyes.

I tried to read that book at that link, and good god, if that's what passes as a self-help book nowadays, I'd rather shoot a nailgun into my foot than read one. Baggage, much? Word on the sanctimonious cow comment.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2006 @ 10:29 PM

A bit of goss about what's going on in the Australian BL house. A friend of a friend knows somebody who's working there (I assume on the tech side, not one of the losers - geez, that sounds bad). Apparently Jillian is really nice, Bob is not so nice, but OK, but the real problem is AJ Rochester. The source of this information says she knows some fantastically juicy gossip but isn't allowed to repeat it because she may get her friend in trouble. I've asked for more details and will post if I get any.

By the way, I've just found out that AJ has her own diet club thingy attached to her website that is $250 for three months of membership. That's more expensive than Weight Watchers. I can't believe people would pay that.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2006 @ 12:56 AM

That guy who goes "I don't want to be a backseat dad" then jumps in a pool? Looks like he belongs in jail. He has creepy dead eyes.

He reminds me of that guy on the last (I think) American Idol who also looked like a criminal (and I think it turned out he actually was).

Apparently Jillian is really nice, Bob is not so nice, but OK,

I'd always thought that under that tough exterior, Jillian was actually a really nice person, so that doesn't surprise me. Does surprise me that Bob isn't really super duper nice though. All the girls on the show in the past have seemed to fall in love with him, so I was under the impression he must be sweet as pie.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that any further gossip will be much appreciated. katisha. ;)

I'm a bit concerned about the fact it'll be on 5 nights a week. How could they possibly have enough footage for that many shows, (though ch10 don't need that much footage to put together a show, they'll just fill it up with constant repeats of the same random 5 second grabs)? Wonder what timeslot it'll get.

justjack

justjack

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2006 @ 4:44 AM

This show does look good. Well, it has high-quality adverts anyway. They've also done the thing which I think makes the US show so successful, in choosing quite attractive people as contestants. Therefore they are guaranteed to have some great transformations a la Susie, Seth and Andrea.

Jillian scares the hell out of me. Nice... but very, very crazy. Maybe she's starved of carbs or something.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 16, 2006 @ 11:51 PM

Saw an ad last night that said it'll be in the 7pm slot. I think it said something along the lines of "7pm weeknights from Friday", but I was distracted by wondering if I was lame enough to actually tape Home & Away instead of just flicking to it during the ads on Loser, so don't quote me on that last part.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2006 @ 12:01 AM

I haven't seen any of these ads. Can anyone give me an idea of roughly when this will be starting?

Phee, if I do get any goss, y'all will be the first to know. :)

They've also done the thing which I think makes the US show so successful, in choosing quite attractive people as contestants.

Very true, justjack. The appearance of most people who are genuinely overweight is improved by losing weight, that's true, but underneath all that flab there might be a rather ugly thin person. Losing weight is absolutely no guarantee of model good looks at the end of it all. Having said that, I know some pretty fat people who don't get much of a look from anybody, but would attract stacks of attention at a lighter weight, society being what it is.

Edited by katisha66, Jan 17, 2006 @ 12:04 AM.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2006 @ 3:18 AM

One of the many things I can't stand about AJ Rochester, is her inability to see how anyone can think differently from her. One of the lines that really pissed me off, is her refussal to see that yes, some people DO actully have diseases that make weight loss difficult. They're not all like her, who eat fatty foods ALL! THE! TIME! They might not eat great, but reading what she used to eat, made me ill.

She's lucky that she could just decide "I want to lose weight" and that eating regurally and healthily (+ exercise) acheived that for her. Personally, unless I do an hour of exercise a day, nearly every day of the week and eat low carbs, its not going to come off. I have to work damn hard, a lot harder than "normal" overweight people, because I do have a condition. It dosen't make it impossible, but I HAVE to go on a diet, its not a matter of healthy eating. She can't seem to see through that, for her people who are fat overeat, and don't exercise.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

Reny Sue, her story is interesting because in the book I read, she said she used to be a size 8 anorexic before she got up to size 26. To put on that much weight in a few short years, she must have really been pigging out majorly and, like you said, not everyone arrives at that place in the same way. Her self-righteousness is very unappealing, but I'm just as offended that she's joined the ranks of the many out there who rip off anybody who's overweight. $1,000 a year for her diet club thingy is just outrageous and most would be better off going to Weight Watchers if they want to fork out that much cash.

justjack

justjack

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2006 @ 9:25 PM

I get the feeling AJ Rochester is a bit of a shameless famewhore trying to make herself the weightloss spokesperson of Australia.
It's great that she lost so much weight & got healthy and that her books (how many does she need to write?) inspire other people.
But using that knowledge to rip people off through a dodgy online weight club - not cool.
I checked out what it offers and basically its a lot of online tools (diary, recipes, forum etc) that would cost practically nothing to run.

You'd be better of getting a gym membership and a copy of the CSIRO diet for $1000.

katisha66

katisha66

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2006 @ 11:22 PM

If anyone wants a site that craps all over AJ's and is only 50 bucks a year instead of $1,000, PM me!

You're right, justjack - it's almost like AJ is making being a fat person who got thin (after first being thin in the first place) into her career. Mind you, she's not the first to have done that. Look at Carnie Wilson in the USA.

Phee

Phee

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2006 @ 12:04 AM

Saw the ad again and it's 7pm weeknights from February, but it doesn't have an actual start date. The first Monday in Feb (I assume they'll be starting on a Monday if it's a 5 nights a week show) is the 6th.

Reny Sue

Reny Sue

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2006 @ 1:43 AM

Especilly since WW is a hell of a lot cheaper. Its what $20 a week (with a joining fee, but does anyone ever pay that?) At MOST it would be $80 a month. Add a gym membership of $80 a month and its still too expensive. My gym membership, plus SureSlim is $80 a month, and includes 4 PT sessions a week, plus classes and gym equipment. Its worth that much. Her club? Not so much.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Jan 18, 2006 @ 3:51 AM

The ads are very personal, not the usual grubby reality show fare.

Of course this show will be in the best possible taste - until the contestants are thin and end up on Friday Night Live.

insubordination

insubordination

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2006 @ 5:26 AM

The ads are good. The bomb in the pool is exploitative but they really do give good reasons for losing weight. I don't like the song.

some people DO actully have diseases that make weight loss difficult

Very true. I'm having my thyroid taken out in a month or so. It's so diseased that I can't wait to be rid of the itchy, lumpy bastard. I've been a strict vegan for half my life but have always had weight issues. People think the gland thing is a bullshit excuse.

I've never seen the American version of this show. I don't like the BB timeslot but will tune in as I don't watch anything else at 7pm.

raen

raen

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2006 @ 3:51 AM

I am really looking forward to this! I loved the American version but wished we got to see more, hopefully in the Aussie version we can get a bit more of the day to day, not just the challenges and eliminations.

I am very curious to see if these guys have as much success as the Americans.

I can't wait to see more of Bob and Gillian, they are nuts and very entertaining.