A Thread for All Seasons: The Great Debate

• Please log in to reply

579 replies to this topic

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Nov 24, 2013 @ 2:40 PM

NOW! that being said, i also REALLY HOPE that the veronica mars in this movie is much more like season 1 and 2 veronica, 

I don't think the Veronica we'll see in the movie should be s1 or s2 Veronica. And neither should she be s3 Veronica, or pre-Lily's murder Veronica. She's 28, she'd spent years away from Neptune, she's not a high school student or a PI. She should be different. But, hopefully, not different enough for me not to like her, because s1 Veronica is probably my favorite TV female character of all time.

Edited by FurryFury, Nov 24, 2013 @ 2:40 PM.

pau

pau

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 24, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

s1 Veronica is also probably my favorite TV female character of all time..i did relate/connect to her so much..

CinnamonCat

CinnamonCat

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 12:20 PM

So I've been rewatching Pilot (for, like, the fourteenth time... don't judge me), and I was wondering: did we ever find out why Lianne was in the Camelot with Jake Kane that night?

CabotsintheWind

CabotsintheWind

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 10, 2013 @ 2:23 PM

So I've been rewatching Pilot (for, like, the fourteenth time... don't judge me), and I was wondering: did we ever find out why Lianne was in the Camelotarrow-10x10.png with Jake Kane that night?

I thought she was confronting him about their affair and the fact that Veronica could be his daughter. I know it wasn't about the pictures because he was upset with his wife when Veronica clued him in.

Edited by CabotsintheWind, Dec 11, 2013 @ 7:34 PM.

CinnamonCat

CinnamonCat

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 11, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

Thanks, CabotsintheWind!

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

Objectively, I know that Season 1 is 'better' than Season 2 in most respects, but somehow S2 has become more rewatchable for me. I have an admittedly strong dislike of Lily Kane, so the mere fact that she was relatively absent from this season is a plus for me :) Beyond that, though, while still kind of overly ambitious and a tad all over the place, the plotting and pacing of this season feels less sloppy and convoluted to me now than it did when I first watched the series. And even the episodes I don't love have such stellar moments (Veronica tightly hugging Wallace somehow makes One Angry Veronica well worth rewatching!) And while I love and get the snark about Cassidy suddenly being retroactively responsible for every bad thing that has ever happened to any human being, I find the character and actor really compelling. Add in the fact that I find Gia strangely enjoyable, welcome the return of Troy in The Rapes of Graff more than is rational and would consider Rat Saw God, I Am God, Plan B and Not Pictured four of my very favorite sis or so episodes*, and the admittedly weird mystery of why my S2 DVDs have gotten replayed more than S1's starts to clear up ;)

*My two other favorite episodes on that list of my top six----don't ask me to limit it to five!---would include You Think You Know Somebody and An Echolls Family Christmas, which, admittedly, are still probably my very two favorites of the series.

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on whether S2 has improved (or not!) for them with the passage of time and further viewing and favorite/least favorite episodes!     

Edited by MsTaken, Dec 31, 2013 @ 10:22 AM.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 11:45 AM

s1 Veronica is also probably my favorite TV female character of all time..i did relate/connect to her so much.

I just saw the trailer for the movie and feel a bit bummed.  I also loved the first season Veronica. The pilot just blew me away.  I always felt the show had this real hard edge to it... people were jerks... Veronica never tried to "beat someone up" at 90 lbs. She sometimes lost.  I remember being just wrecked for her when Sheriff Lamb didn't believe her about the rape.  I feel like starting with the finale of season one they started "softening" things... Veronica wasn't raped... Logan wasn't such a bad guy... yaha yada. By the time season three came around I had no more interest.

I hope the movie goes back to that... but, I have a feeling it won't.  I think there is just too much investment in season 2 and 3 Veronica who wasn't quite the outcast.  But for me that Veronica was not the same person. No way I could tolerate some of the people who had treated me so badly when I wasn't on top.

Since she is a lawyer in the movie I would like it if at the end she becomes and FBI agent.  Though I even think she is too smart for that.

XtremeOne1

XtremeOne1

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 3, 2014 @ 9:26 PM

I felt Veronica was still Veronica in season 2. I don't think Veronica being an outcast made Veronica relatable, just Veronica being strong, independent and flawed.  I don't think many people were ever the most hated person in their high school or were dating the most popular guy in school but found out he might be your brother, etc...It was Veronica herself. And than we saw that through her many relationships. Her relationship with her father, her lack of one with her mother, her relationship with various people in school, with Wallace, Mac, Lilly, Dick, Beaver, and of course Duncan and Logan.

I do think that sort of went away in season 3, when Veronica lost a lot of her identity to love interests(Logan and Piz). Her relationship with her father became non-existsent. Same with Wallace. Mac got some attention due to needing to be close to a girl with a dorm. But overall, we didn't see any of those relationships grow. We didn't see Veronica grow. So while I don't agree that second season Veronica was very different than first(she had a small, group of friends and a lot of people fearing her) but season 3 Veronica was very much a CW Girl, and that's not a compliment.

But I don't just blame in on the CW. As I said in the other thread, Rob Thomas listens way too much to the very vocal LoVe fans that he thinks that's what the whole audience wants to see. But it's not...I care about all of Veronica's relationships and I will be upset if the film is just LoVe centric.

Honestly, all go as far as to say that LoVe is a detriment to the show. This is Veroinca's story, not Logan's.

I'm not too concerned about the trailer as no one involved with the film had anything to do with the trailer. That's all the WB's decisions and we know what they prefer when promoting Veronica....

BabyElla

BabyElla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2014 @ 3:59 PM

I'd love to hear other people's thoughts on whether S2 has improved (or not!) for them with the passage of time and further viewing and favorite/least favorite episodes!

I've finished my season 1 DVDs and I've watched 2 episodes of season 2. So far, so good.

Does anyone remember Couch Baron's episode recaps? They were so funny and so well written--I used to read them at work & would get reprimanded for laughing too much. Ah, good times.

FurryFury

FurryFury

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2014 @ 5:17 AM

I remember that on the rewatch, s2 improved for me plotwise. When I watched it for the first time, I was really confused with some details - like the role of Charisma Carpenter's character in the whole thing, and her connection to Fitzpatricks, and some other minor details. I still think it wasn't presented well. Still, it held OK, mostly, if not as good as s1, obviously.

I should probably rewatch the show again, with the movie coming so soon.