TV Moments That Went Over Your Head: Slow On The Uptake

• Please log in to reply

2926 replies to this topic

Sayuri1188

Sayuri1188

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

I didn't realize until watching The Voice 2 weeks ago that Christina Aguilera is called Xtina because of the "Christ" in her name.

DirectEstoppel

DirectEstoppel

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

Penny's quantum mechanics joke on The Big Bang Theory. I don't get it.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Feb 29, 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Sayuri, I never realized that, either. Thank you!

Last week's episode of Happy Endings reminded me of how when I was younger, the first definition I ever heard for the word "affair" was the cheating, extra-marital one. So when the show A Current Affair first started I kept thinking to myself, "There's an entire show just based around people cheating on each other? And people actually want to watch???"

(Actually, that show could probably make a killing today.)

Etaoin Shrdlu

Etaoin Shrdlu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

When I was a kid and someone on TV said "I don't drink," I thought that meant they didn't drink ANYTHING. EVER. I wondered how they did that, and why.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 9:56 PM

Well, there's always Loretta King, the star of Ed Wood's Bride of the Monster, who claimed to be allergic to all liquids.

smittykins

smittykins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 4:25 PM

When I was a kid and someone on TV said "I don't drink," I thought that meant they didn't drink ANYTHING. EVER. I wondered how they did that, and why.

Related to that, whenever I saw one of those "don't drink and drive" PSAs, for a long time I thought that meant anything--soda, milk, water...and I would fear that my mom, with her ever-present bottle of Pepsi in the car, would get pulled over by a cop some day.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Gilmore Girls. "I Get A Sidekick Out Of You." Duh, because Christopher gets Rory a Sidekick! *smacks forehead*

For some reason this fact has completely escaped me for years. I just thought it was because Lane and Zach get married and get sidekicks out of each other and it's a play on "I get a kick out of you." Heh, dumb.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

"There's an entire show just based around people cheating on each other? And people actually want to watch???"

Very late to the party, but that is the entire premise of "Cheaters". Since it has been on since 2000 per Wikiepedia, I guess there's lots of people who want to watch.

jessicajason

jessicajason

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Penny's quantum mechanics joke on The Big Bang Theory. I don't get it.

The gist of it is that it is more likely that a woman would spontaneously form out of the particles surrounding the stool (via quantum mechanics) than that an already-existing woman would be interested in having ice cream with a physicist. That's why Leonard said it was "a little insulting, don't you think?"

DirectEstoppel

DirectEstoppel

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

Leonard was right, that IS insulting.

YourMomOnToast

YourMomOnToast

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

I only just realized that the name of the "New Directions" group in Glee is meant to be a risque pun

I feel SO STUPID because I just got that about a month ago. I had realized that some of the other competing groups names were risque things, like "Aural Intensity", but never realized the naughtiness of Nude Erections.

Edited by YourMomOnToast, Apr 22, 2012 @ 2:48 PM.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

I was rewatching the season 3 opener of Community where Jeff has his musical daydream and at the end when they do the big flourish ending in the cafeteria, I never noticed the Human Being spinning above them.

HWavoidance

HWavoidance

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Part of the physics joke was also that Penny didn't get it. She just memorized it rote to make the boys happy and had no idea that it was insulting or why.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Aug 1, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

I was pretty annoyed by the 'tribute to British film' section of the Olympics Opening Ceremony because, while they projected a few shots from some other British films, they mostly focused on Chariots of Fire - a Best Picture Oscar winner, true, but one I find problematic, not to mention thinking Lawrence of Arabia or Tom Jones or a few others would have been better tributes to the British film tradition (plus that running gag with Rowan Atkinson got old fast).

So, five days later, I finally get it. Not only is Chariots of Fire an Oscar winner... it's an Oscar winner that centers on Olympic track and field.

Now I feel dumb.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 4:50 PM

In the most recent episode of "The Neighbors", the human couple-Debbie and Marty-are telling the main alien couple how they fell in love at a school dance while "Dream Weaver" was playing. The female alien sighs, "Because it has your name in it!" I spent the rest of the episode trying to remember the lyrics to "Dream Weaver" and if there was a mention of "Debbie" or "Marty". Then I finally remembered that their last name is Weaver!

Edited by Jilly Copper, Jan 26, 2013 @ 4:51 PM.

espie

espie

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2013 @ 7:56 AM

This one took me forty years to "get"... last night for no good reason I was watching Gilligan's Island, it was the one with the Latin American dictator, and one of the decorations he was wearing on his uniform was a German Iron Cross. That just had to be a reference to the Nazis who escaped Europe after the war and fled to places like South America.

HappyHeart

HappyHeart

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 15, 2013 @ 2:36 PM

Was watching an episode of The Simpsons where Disco Stu gets hit in a bar fight. I'd seen it loads of times before but I didn't get this line until recently:

"Disco Stu should have disco ducked."

As in the awful novelty song, Disco Duck.