Network IDs and Logos: Peacocks and Dolphin BJs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

43 replies to this topic

liquidguy

liquidguy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2006 @ 4:53 PM

They could have done better.

Not sure what they were going for there. It's very contemporary, but isn't their audience 18-34? If so, this doesn't really target that demographic.

bmasters9

bmasters9

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 12:48 PM

I saw from Wikipedia that the NBC Snake of the '60's might be redesigned when the network fully enters the HDTV era. I wish they wouldn't use that one-- rather, I would wish that they used the "Proud N" of 1979-86 in HDTV, as that is my favorite of the older NBC logos.

Edited by bmasters9, Feb 10, 2006 @ 3:08 PM.

mschrist

mschrist

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2006 @ 12:00 PM

I confused the NBC abstract "N" with the logo at Holiday gas stations throughout my childhood:

http://www.holidayst...onStoreLogo.gif

Totally convinced that NBC also sold gas.

I was in the U.K. last week for the first time in ten years and was sad to see that the BBC2 ident animations are CGI now. Just not the same.

Shelwood

Shelwood

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 12:05 AM

I can't decide if the FX Original Programming ID scares the bejesus out of me or just gives me the heebies. Either way... It's not merely the spinning and the whooshing noise. It's that the predominant color can only be described as Booger Green. Sinus Infection Booger Green. Euugh.

krushsister

krushsister

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 1:15 AM

Awwwww. The BBC 2 fluffy idents ARE cute! I especially love the one with Stephen Fry, but that's partly because Fry is starring in it. Awwww, fluffy BBC 2. Me hug.

I think the USA Network has done the most admirable job re: revamping its own ident (logo?). I remember channel surfing in the late '80s - early '90s and thinking that USA's logo was one of the fugliest things I'd ever seen. But now it actually looks classic, simple, and elegant. This would obv not extend to that rather "tasteful" fellatio-esque logo displayed above. (Edited to clarify that.)

(Going back to the fluffy BBC 2 -- I would LOVE to purchase a stuffed little fluffy.)

I've always been a fan of PBS's logos/IDs. Well, maybe not the first one (but then again I never actually SAW the first one), but the ones I DID see, the ones originating from the mid '70s onward, I've loved. There was that one with the multitonal sound thingy, the one with the super-classy piano sound, the one from not too long ago, and the most recent ones. All of them are totally classic in my book.

(Do you think the BBC might ever market one of those fluffy 2s? I'm serious about wanting to purchase one.)

Another network whose logos/IDs I've always been a fan of is ABC. Granted, I wasn't born until the late '70s and only really remember the logo from the mid '80s on, but even looking back as far as that one "camera lens logo" from 1948 shown on the site mariposa linked to, that was pretty damn good. They seemed to start sucking from 1957 - 1962, but from 1962 onward, there's nary a bum one in the lot.

(AW I WANT A STUFFED BBC 2 FLUFFY RIGHT NOW DAMN IT.)

Edited by krushsister, Jul 21, 2006 @ 1:28 AM.

Benedictine

Benedictine

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 12:10 PM

I really like the old one that was used for the UK's Thames Television.

It was a picture of the London Bridge and it would unfold while this music went "Ba ba ba ba" and then a french horn, "woo woo woo woooooooo." The word "Thames" would then be prominently displayed.

Very classy, very elegant, and very, very British. When I use to see this on my "telly" growing up in the USA, I knew that what was to follow was good quality British programming. I am sure, though, that many in the UK will say that Thames had their share of rubbish, too.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2006 @ 3:39 PM

Though the MyNetwork logo isn't all that exciting, I do enjoy the simple elegance of it. I like the use of the light blue and white, but the only thing that bothers me is that it doesn't stand out. Even the name of the network seems too generic. Perhaps they'll spruce it up when the channel actually starts to take shape, but right now I find it nice but boring.

A little late to the party with this one, but I'll say that I don't like the CW logo. I don't know what it is but there's something about it that bothers me. I'm also not a fan of the colour green they've chosen to basically represent them. Maybe it'll grow on me, though.

jppr

jppr

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 30, 2006 @ 7:47 PM

I concur. I hate the the CW logo. It looks a little like something that would appear on a Blimpie's cup or something.

cal331

cal331

Fanatic

• Interests:Teevee, watching teevee, reading about teevee, and bitching about teevee.

Posted Oct 4, 2008 @ 10:48 AM

I don't watch much (Superstation) WGN, and that's not likely to change. Their new logo is a pair of creepy, horror-movie-style eyes, with animated blinking, staring right at you. I think there's some kind of threatening message that goes with it too. Oh, yeah, here it is.

I don't want my TV to watch me back, or give me aggressive and stalkerish ultimatums, thank you very much.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Oct 10, 2008 @ 6:38 PM

WGN is calling itself "Superstation" these days? Wasn't that TBS' tag a long time ago? TBS changed to the lowercase letter that are burned into lime green, yellow, etc. Is it still doing it's TV is Funny promo? I haven't seen ads for it recently.

I remember when WGN's Sunday movie played the theme from Gone with the Wind for it's promo. I've always hated it, too. Those eyes are scary!

It seems that CBS is the only station that hasn't revamped it's "eye" ever.

ScribblerGuy

ScribblerGuy

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2008 @ 11:45 AM

The new "scary eyes" WGN logo, courtesy of Wikipedia.

WGN is calling itself "Superstation" these days? Wasn't that TBS' tag a long time ago?

Actually, no. It's now "WGN America," but it is still is a "superstation" (or more correctly, a "nationally distributed superstation", see below). TBS dropped that status.

The Wikipedia page on Superstations is somewhat helpful. But, basically, a true superstation is an independent broadcast network that has its signal piped to multiple markets.

47 USC 339(d)(2):

Nationally distributed superstation
The term “nationally distributed superstation” means a television broadcast station, licensed by the Commission, that—
( A ) is not owned or operated by or affiliated with a television network that, as of January 1, 1995, offered interconnected program service on a regular basis for 15 or more hours per week to at least 25 affiliated television licensees in 10 or more States;
( B ) on May 1, 1991, was retransmitted by a satellite carrier and was not a network station at that time; and
( C ) was, as of July 1, 1998, retransmitted by a satellite carrier under the statutory license of section 119 of title 17.

MegaJ

MegaJ

Stalker

Posted Jul 31, 2009 @ 12:49 AM

Nickelodeon is changing their logo after about 20-25 years. The logo will be used on all Nick-branded channels, including The N and Noggin which are changing to TEENick and Nick Jr. respectively in September.

Trini Girl

Trini Girl

Stalker

• Interests:http://www.biblegateway.com/

Posted Aug 3, 2009 @ 11:08 PM

Aww, I'll miss the "splat". But I didn't know that it's been the same logo for that long. Nick's on-air logos/IDs have always had multiple variations, though.

ikar

ikar

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2010 @ 12:37 AM

Dear ABC,

Thank you. Due to tonight's horrific display of stupidity during LOST, I will never, ever watch "V." Keep it up, there's all sorts of shows on your network I'll skip in the future.

ikar