Old Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4785 replies to this topic

itombomb

itombomb

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 7:08 AM

Another quick thing. Here is a quote from a Warren Ellis, he is one of the top 5 comic book writers (to some of you that may sound like nothing, but I assure you it is a great medium):

"Read a draft of Aaron Sorkin's
forthcoming STUDIO 60 ON THE
SUNSET STRIP last night. Nearly
gave up writing. I want to break
that bastard's hands, I really do."

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 7:16 AM

30 Rock

Sorry my first thought was 3rd Rock from the Sun....

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 7:16 AM

So was mine! I got confused at first because I was just glancing through the article and John Lithgow's name was in there too.

"Read a draft of Aaron Sorkin's
forthcoming STUDIO 60 ON THE
SUNSET STRIP last night. Nearly
gave up writing. I want to break
that bastard's hands, I really do."

Nice way to give a compliment ;-)

A few words from Matt Perry on Studio 60 in the Orlando Sentinel:

Matthew Perry is returning to series television, but don't expect another Chandler Bing from Friends.

"There's not much Chandler there," Perry says of his role in Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. "He's a darker guy, a mess but a brilliant writer who's kind of politically motivated. It's just a much more adult guy than I'm used to playing."

NBC unveils its fall lineup, which includes Studio 60, today for advertisers in New York. Studio 60, a backstage drama about a late-night comedy show, comes from Aaron Sorkin of The West Wing. Sorkin was the draw for Perry, 36.

"Upon finishing the 72-page script, I thought, 'I'm guess I'm going to a TV show,' " the actor says. "When you've done something like Chandler for 10 years, one of the goals is to find something that changes it up, gives you a different creative spin. I don't have to work. I look for things that I can use my brain."

That's the second time I've seen Perry refer to Matt Albie as 'tortured, a mess'. I didn't really get that impression from the script (though I did from Danny Tripp).

Edited by HungryHippo2004, May 15, 2006 @ 7:28 AM.

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 7:44 AM

Awesome promo, I wasn't expecting it to air so early. Glad it did though. I had to watch a couple times before I realized Timothy Busfield is that Timothy Busfield. Man, does he look different.
The style of the show looks great so far, nice music, nice logo, etc. Come on, September!

Oz P

Oz P

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 8:29 AM

And the winner is ... Thur 9 PM !!!

The futon critic just a posted a press release from NBC

http://www.thefutonc...d=20060515nbc01

which has the following Thur schedule:

THURSDAY
8-8:30 p.m. "My Name Is Earl" (new time)
8:30-9 p.m. "The Office" (new time)
9-10 p.m. "STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP"
10-11 p.m. "ER"/("THE BLACK DONNELLYS" in January 2007)

As I mentioned previously, I think this is absolutely the best
time slot for Studio 60-- all NBC will expect it to do is finish
2nd to CSI, which really shouldn't be a problem. (And I bet
by season 3, Studio 60 will be winning the time slot.)

Edited by Oz P, May 15, 2006 @ 8:32 AM.

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 8:37 AM

Sounds great - what is on Thursday at 9 currently on the other networks, apart from CSI?

shoemoney2night

shoemoney2night

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 8:38 AM

Sounds great? There's NOTHING on right now apart from CSI... because everyone is watching CSI! Oy vey. Not that great... I was hoping for 10.

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 8:46 AM

I don't see Scrubs mentioned...does that mean it's cancelled?

Oh, and the Studio 60 page is finally up at the village - no pictures yet.

Edited by HungryHippo2004, May 15, 2006 @ 8:46 AM.

westwinger247

westwinger247

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 8:47 AM

9-10 p.m. "STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP"

Crap. They're gonna get clobbered by CSI. And I still have to use my VCR now to tape one and watch the other.

Fuckin' NBC.

Oz P

Oz P

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 8:53 AM

At 9 PM, ABC now shows American Inventor, but will probably have the last half hour or hour of Dancing w/ the Stars scheduled in the fall, Fox has The O.C. (which might move up an hour in the fall), and the WB has Supernatural which will likely keep this slot on the CW.

And while CSI will certainly draw many more total viewers than Studio 60, I think that when it comes to the 18-49 demo, S60 will be very competitive (much like ER and Without a Trace).

mgoshawk

mgoshawk

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 8:52 AM

Fan favorites "Crossing Jordan" and "Scrubs" will return to the NBC schedule at some point later in the season.

Sandman

Sandman

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 9:05 AM

I also think there's far too much alliteration going on - Wilson White, Harriet Hayes, Martha Moyer and Simon Stiles. Still, must be a good thing when the only thing I can criticise is the character's names.

I'd say try not to let this bother you; Sorkin has a little bit of a thing for characters with alliterative names. No one knows why.

Did you guys just see the preview!??!? OMG!!! :D

Am I the only one who thought, when the preview said "... the show people are already talking about..." it kinda meant - well, us? (Not that that would actually happen.)

Also, BW looked exceedingly Josh-esque, I have to say. It may take me longer than I thought to stop calling him “JoshBraDanny.”

I think I was more excited about the preview than I was about any other aspect of the TWW finale, (OT: save possibly ABS's little cameo at the swearing-in).

daphster

daphster

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 9:11 AM

Is it wrong of me to reschedule my classes to be home at 9pm on Thursday?

Ozzyols

Ozzyols

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 9:29 AM

ETA:

Is it wrong of me to reschedule my classes to be home at 9pm on Thursday?

Absolutely not... I chose one Uni Unit over another this semester because it happened to be a Monday night, when I needed my laptop at home to... err.... act as my medium.... for WW.

Thursday... absolute feckin bloody awesome... considering the time delay... and the fact I have every second Friday off.... Wooo Hooo... access me baby!

Edited by Ozzyols, May 15, 2006 @ 9:47 AM.

Artlawprod

Artlawprod

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:03 AM

There's NOTHING on right now apart from CSI... because everyone is watching CSI!

I disagree. I think this is very cleaver on NBCs part. The lead in consists of two smart sit-coms which are gaining momentum. The you have ER which, although the ratings are slipping, is a work horse show. The CSI procedural is getting old and could easily lose audience share. There are just too many of them out there.

NBC picked up Studio 60 and annouced it early which leads me to believe it's actually a good show.

ainoarwen

ainoarwen

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:14 AM

Also, BW looked exceedingly Josh-esque, I have to say.

Sandman, for me, it's the introducing shot of BW, the one where his name pops up. He isn't wearing a suit jacket, and the way he's gesturing reminds me of one of the clips they used for him in TWW credits. So much so that I'm always momentarily distracted by the thought, "huh, that must be a TWW clip".

"I have no reason to trust you, and every reason not to." God, I missed Sorkin.

shoemoney2night

shoemoney2night

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:15 AM

ER's ratings have been in the toilet this year. It's a joke. Kick it off Thursdays already. CSI pulls in about 26 million a week. That's good enough for third place overall behind two episodes of American Idol. There may be a lot of procedurals out there, but CSI is a sentimental favorite that its longtime viewers will want to stick with regardless. 10pm would have been a much better fit.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:18 AM

I believe the first season of The Apprentice did fairly well in the ratings up against CSI, so there is a precedent for NBC shows in that time period to not get slaughtered.

itombomb

itombomb

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:20 AM

It is a good slot. Provided it gets a sloid second place NBC will be happy.

The way I looked at it is that whatever happened it would be up against one hit show. It is better to be up against a Cop drama, which skews older, than a show like Lost, Grey's Anatomy, House or 24 which goes for the same demographics. It is a term called counter-programming, and should do very well at least to get good figures.

It also puts it firmly in NBC's main night of programming, which is clearly a show of support on thir behalf.

Just as an aside, NBC are really happy to just let the other networks fight it out for Wednesday aren't they. Two new sitcoms (up agisnt Lost, Idol and Criminal Minds) sandwiched between a crappy reality show and a crappy cop show.

Edited by itombomb, May 15, 2006 @ 10:25 AM.

capnkidd

capnkidd

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:37 AM

I'd say try not to let this bother you; Sorkin has a little bit of a thing for characters with alliterative names. No one knows why.

The same reason he likes to put the word "Belgium" into a script for no particular reason, sandman. He's always been about the rhythym and flow of language (I almost said music). Sometimes he seems to like how things sound, never mind what they mean.

ITA with your advice, though. The show hasn't even aired yet, and we're critiquing the names?

wildstah78

wildstah78

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

Ok how many times have you watched the promo? Me.....7 times and counting. I am indeed a loser :) (and darn proud of it)

PerlaU2

PerlaU2

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:51 AM

Am I the only one who thought, when the preview said "... the show people are already talking about..." it kinda meant - well, us? (Not that that would actually happen.)

*raises hand* I did!

On the scheduling... I would have loved it at 10pm but Thursdays at 9 is the next best thing. I really wish I lived in the US so I can promote the hell out of this show to help with the ratings.

Will we get a premiere date today too? or is that later in the summer? I.CAN'T.WAIT!

nygoodliving

nygoodliving

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 10:50 AM

I must have watched the trailer 10 times before 10pm last night! So if you're a loser, so am I (ha).

10pm on thursday would have been perfect, but give it time. I think within a year or two, this will be challenging csi for the domination of the slot. But I gotta say on a personal note, while we live in a world with vcr, tivo, and of course, p2p, I still think the best way to watch a tv show is while it is being aired for the first time. So I gotta say, man am I happy to not be a lemming and watching csi, which I have seen and don't think its that good. But then, that's another story....

itombomb

itombomb

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 11:13 AM

Another thing of note I think is that with the investment NBC has put into the show they want it to suceed. As a result I think they will be quick to realise that if the show is doing badly in it's timeslot they will move it and try to get ratings somewhere else.

At 9pm CBS will have CSI, Fox will have the OC, the CW will likely have Supernatural, and I think ABC will have Dancing with the Stars. The OC and Supernatural will be no threat at all, what kind of ratings does Dancing With the Stars get when it airs?

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 12:08 PM

8 new photos up at NBCMV - only characters featured in them are Matt Albie, Danny Tripp, Jack Rudolph and Jordan McDeere. There's a cool one of Matt and Danny sitting in a fake cab on the Studio 60 set.

They're updating the site as I type this (there was only 5 photos up when I started typing, now there's 8!)

Up to 10 now (one of the photos mistakenly refers to BW as Daniel Moore).

Oooh, a Harriet Hayes pic! What a sexy woman.

Apologies, this is a running commentary but it's fun!

Edited by HungryHippo2004, May 15, 2006 @ 12:11 PM.

shoemoney2night

shoemoney2night

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 12:20 PM

Is it possible to see the full-sized pictures?

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 12:24 PM

Not that I'm aware of. You can save them using 'save as' but if you try and magnify them it goes all fuzzy unfortunately. Big cast photo up!

Today has been chock-full of Studio 60 goodness. All we had before today was one picture (well, the script too!) and then in the space of 24 hours we get a trailer and 19 new photos.

ETA: A full sized cast photo is up on the main page of the Studio 60 subsite on NBCMV. Looks great.

Edited by HungryHippo2004, May 15, 2006 @ 12:27 PM.

appletree

appletree

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 12:34 PM

HH2004, what is NBCMV? (the site address) Thanks!

shoemoney2night

shoemoney2night

Video Archivist

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 12:34 PM

You think they could have picked a less Josh-like wardrobe for Danny in the promo shots.

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2006 @ 12:41 PM

NBCMV - Studio 60