Old Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

4785 replies to this topic

dianab93

dianab93

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 9:41 AM

Just to add my 2 bucks (cos 2 cents don't get ya anything) to the Guardian piece... The fact that he calls S60 a comedy toward the top of the review was enough to shut me down. He doesn't know what the series is and isn't. Therefore, the rest of his review is coming from an erroneous place.

But it does bring up a concern - if the show isn't being properly marketed, people won't understand what it is and isn't. That in itself could cause more harm than good.

But excuse me for liking sanctimonius, self-righteous, characters. I wish we had a few more shows like that on the air versus worm-eating, 'who wants to screw my sister' types of programming.

Edited by dianab93, Aug 16, 2006 @ 9:42 AM.

Redshift

Redshift

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 9:52 AM

Don't mean to derail the Guardian piece topic, but does anyone have a link to the *sigh* If you're all doing it, I'll do it too: photo discussed a few pages back?

threeinchheels

threeinchheels

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 9:52 AM

I instantly treat anyone with caution who accuses people of being "superior." Usually it means, "This person tries too hard to be a better person, and I don't feel like putting out the effort."

Morals are a difficult one. Purely because they are a choice. We could go round and round on this one, Miss Hell, and I could ask for your response to the statement "It is morally right to steal a loaf of bread to feed your hungry children". We could both hold valid but completely opposed views to that. But that isn't what bothers me about that article. It's that it reads to me as if there is a resentment of Sorkin, his work, and the characters he writes. "Oh they're so smart, they're so clever..." I can't help think sometimes that if they were honest, what people want to say is "Oh crap, they are so smart. I wish I could talk like that and be like that. I'm not that clever, or smart, or funny, but I wish I was".

I've sat in a room and been the smartest person there. I've sat in a room and been the dumbest person there. I'm OK with that. But some people do have an inferiority complex. This takes me back to Season 4 of TWW with the debate episode and the intelligence isn't a vice storyline. I get the impression that to some people it most definitely is, and they are quite happy to keep criticising Sorkin for writing smart characters. After several movies, four series of TWW, and a pilot of a new show, I would think you'd have ample opportunity to decide if this is going to be your cup of tea. Why the need to stick the boot in in such a cynical manner? It surprises me as well because I would think that Guardian readers are most likely to watch the show irrespective of what one critic prints.

We all know that these criticisms about intelligence are not new criticisms at all. I read a comment that Sorkin made about it once - the language is way too colourful to post here (plenty of effing and references to the perceived Jewishness of characters) - but since he keeps writing successfully it doesn't really matter if a few critics in the UK don't like it. If this chap wants to watch 30 Rock and not S60, fine. All I can say is, it's rare that a writer had this many people posting online about their work. Sorkin has got to be doing something right.

Edited by threeinchheels, Aug 16, 2006 @ 9:55 AM.

Yoda Girl

Yoda Girl

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 11:09 AM

Miss Hell, do you moonlight as Yoda?

Only when I take the night off ;P

I'm wondering if S60 is going to be the first show revealed or if we're going to have to sweat it out till the end. Now I know how beauty pagent contestants feel.

ethanvahlere

ethanvahlere

Stalker

• Interests:Movies, books, music, apple juice (which I drink the way the Gilmores drink coffee), Veronica Mars, The Wire, Big Love, Pushing Daisies.

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 11:51 AM

Is this the same Jonathan Bernstein who was an editor for Spin, and who wrote the book Pretty in Pink: The Golden Age of Teen Movies?

ainoarwen

ainoarwen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 11:57 AM

Oh my, that new promo is teh crack. I could play it again and again and again. Did anyone recognise the song playing in the background?

I'm wondering if S60 is going to be the first show revealed or if we're going to have to sweat it out till the end.

Anyone remember how they revealed last year's shows? I'm thinking the order could be alphabetical. In other words, we might be screwed!

smokeless

smokeless

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:23 PM

I wasn't wild about the promo. It doesn't do anything to lessen my excitement about the show, but I'm starting to think the promo format just doesn't suit here. I thought Matthew Perry came over really badly, especially when he says "pro-fesh-un-ally" - it makes it looks like he's only recently been introduced to the word, or is stoned. However I felt the same about some of the promos for the pilot, but when I saw it, was completely turned around (and thought MP was the best part of the whole cast) - and I put this down to the promos not being able to give enough of the context or atmosphere or background to show the scene/actor at its/his/her best.

NB Nice to see they found a use for the Sit Room table!

I'm wondering if S60 is going to be the first show revealed or if we're going to have to sweat it out till the end

What does this mean. Revealed where? Why is there suspense? Is this relevant to non-US people?

ainoarwen

ainoarwen

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:28 PM

smokeless, we're discussing the upcoming TWOP recap lineup, wondering (if and) when Glark and co. will announce if S60 made the cut.

Personally, I loved MP in the promo. The way he said "behave" cracked me up. Did we ever reach a decision on what to put in spoiler tags and what not?

ETA: I'm gonna go with the general FAQ regarding spoilers. Therefore, I bust out the "behave".

Edited by ainoarwen, Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:31 PM.

smokeless

smokeless

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:40 PM

we're discussing the upcoming TWOP recap lineup, wondering (if and) when Glark and co. will announce if S60 made the cut.

The fog clears. Thanks.

rachel1707uk

rachel1707uk

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:45 PM

I thought Matthew Perry came over really badly, especially when he says "pro-fesh-un-ally" - it makes it looks like he's only recently been introduced to the word, or is stoned.

I noticed that too, but I took it as him overemphasising the syllables to make a point.

GraydonCarter

GraydonCarter

Fanatic

• Interests:The West Wing<br />[Adult Swim]<br />hiking

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 12:51 PM

A rule of life I've noticed. Anyone who passionately devotes himself to a cause you don't believe in is "smug, sanctimonious, and morally superior." If it happens to be a cause you believe in, they're heroic, passionate, and courageous.

Have you ever noticed, when you're driving, that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?

Did we ever reach a decision on what to put in spoiler tags and what not?

Yeah, I didn't think we need to spoiler the content of a promo. Right? So we can talk about how he pronounces "behave", but we can't talk about who he is, why he talking, or how he got there.

Edited by GraydonCarter, Aug 16, 2006 @ 1:10 PM.

smokeless

smokeless

Loyal Viewer

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 1:05 PM

I thought Matthew Perry came over really badly, especially when he says "pro-fesh-un-ally" - it makes it looks like he's only recently been introduced to the word, or is stoned.

I noticed that too, but I took it as him overemphasising the syllables to make a point.

I'm quite sure that's right, and when we see the whole ep that'll be clear - my point was just that it didn't look right in the promo.

Blanky

Blanky

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 1:45 PM

Maybe in an environment where this type of talk is normal, e.g. an "us against them" situation like a sporting event, this is excusable as a form of loyalty to one's own side - but he's talking about of a TV show i.e. something that shouldn't stir the same mix of motivations and emotions - quite how such antagonistic excess is justified here escapes me.

Perhaps for him talking about a TV show does stir that mix of motivations and emotions that characterize sports fans. Just because it "shouldn't" doesn't mean it won't. I don't agree with the review, but one thing I've learned is that arguing about or complaining about how anybody "should feel" about anything never works out. I can argue ideas and thoughts, but I can't argue feelings.

I will, as a non-"wingnut" outsider, tentatively put forth that I've noticed an "us vs. them" mentality in this thread (not in a bad way, but it's there), so I'm not surprised to have encountered a similar, if perhaps more hostile, attitude out there--the extreme of this thread's "them."

HungryHippo2004

HungryHippo2004

Fanatic

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 3:39 PM

Anyone remember how they revealed last year's shows? I'm thinking the order could be alphabetical. In other words, we might be screwed!

IIRC, the first shows revealed (it was done two at a time) were Prison Break and Rome. This was done because the shows were extremely close to debuting (less than a week). So following that logic I think the first show unveiled will be Vanished (assuming TWoP picks it).

As for the rest, I don't think there was a significant order.

So my guess is Studio 60 will be revealed first if Vanished isn't picked by TWoP.

Edited by HungryHippo2004, Aug 16, 2006 @ 3:41 PM.

MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 6:17 PM

For whatever reason, the Guardian review "conversation" makes me think, "But if the critics have all the power, who will critique the critics?"

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Aug 16, 2006 @ 8:37 PM

For anyone in NYC, the Museum of TV & Radio is showing the pilot along with other NBC pilots on Sep 13th for free. It's a first come, first serve basis. Here's the schedule:

Pilot Parties at MTR
See the most buzzed about new series pilots at MTR before they air.

Bring Your Friends to 5 NITES of Free Screenings & Parties
Parties start at 6:00 p.m. Screenings start at 6:30 p.m.

Wednesday, September 6
FOX presents 'TIL DEATH HAPPY HOUR JUSTICE STANDOFF VANISHED

Thursday, September 7
ABC presents THE NINE THE KNIGHTS OF PROSPERITY UGLY BETTY HELP ME, HELP YOU SIX DEGREES

Wednesday, September 13
NBC presents STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS 30 ROCK HEROES TWENTY GOOD YEARS KIDNAPPED

Thursday, September 14
CBS presents THE CLASS JERICHO SMITH SHARK

Friday, September 15
The CW presents RUNAWAY THE GAME