Torchwood: On What The Arse Represents (UK)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7896 replies to this topic

Butterfly202

Butterfly202

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 6:53 PM

I really liked it.

I mean, I went in with middling expectations so they were met and perhaps exceeded at certain points. Blowfish McExposition made me groan, and Gwen's inexplicable mooning over Jack made me gag.

The rest of it was pretty good. Just fun.

I wasn't a fan of Owen and Tosh's romance talk. It seemed very stilted, and I didn't quite know where they were going with it. I think maybe they're setting up a romance between Owen and Martha when she arrives, or they're going Owen/Tosh this season. I don't know. It just seemed very out of place.

I liked that they were all, on the whole, pretty competent. Gwen looked a bit of an idiot running in front of Capt John after repeatedly telling him to stay in front. But that's Gwen.

The best thing that came out of that scene was my housemate's conclusion: never trust men who wear lip gloss!

Tolteca

Tolteca

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 7:51 PM

I loved it. The S1 problems seem fixed. The team were great and Captain John was hot, while the whole was great fun.

Edited by Tolteca, Jan 16, 2008 @ 9:38 PM.

Unwad

Unwad

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 7:55 PM

The only bit I wasn't expecting to like was the Jack/Gwen bit, and it may only be because I'm drunk, but I even liked that bit. I liked the Tosh/Owen bits and hope that develops a bit more, which again I wasn't expecting.

ETA Just watched it again. Turns out I can only handle Jack/Gwen drunk as I really didn't like it the second time around. I especially disliked the near deceleration of love. You're engaged Gwen! To a not half bad guy. So he's a bit goofy, at least he doesn't cheat on you!

I'm now officially a Owen/Tosh shipper. I think I may have a soft spot for protective!Owen.

I don't care how unlikely it is to happen, Ianto and Jack need to get married and buy a house and be happy families. I loved their office convo with Jack asking Ianto on a date. So sweet! Although, with the Jack/Gwen angle at the beginning of the episode it makes Ianto seem a bit like the rebound.

Love Captain John Heart. I wasn't expecting him to show so much love for Jack. That "we shared something special" line was lovely. And he seemed sad when he killed Jack. Okay so I'm maybe a Jack/John shipper as well. Only for that five years/however many weeks mind you. I'm a pure Janto fangirl at heart.

Edited by Unwad, Jan 17, 2008 @ 1:53 AM.

Glastonian

Glastonian

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 8:21 PM

I sort of liked it, though to be honest I was hoping I would like it more, as I was one of the sorely disappointed who switched off in disgust halfway through the risible S1; never has a show promised so much, and delivered so little, yadda, yadda ......

The best bits were OBVIOUSLY JM dressed as Adam Ant snogging Jack - I mean, what's NOT to like there? JM & JB 's camp and not so subtle innuendo was enormous fun. Loved the crack about living in a sculpture, and the bit about the poodle!! But when JM & JB were not on screen, not so much fun........

Ianto had some great moments tonight, but as for the others, MEH! I had my fingers crossed that the ruthless Capt. John had, indeed, systematically murdered most of the Torchwood team during the episode, leaving just Ianto the "eye candy" alive as a plaything to be shared between him and Jack. Let's face it, the Torchwood Three are pants.

During their stilted exchange in the warehouse Tosh & Owen sounded like extras from Grange Hill; poor performers and totally charisma-free. Gwen making moony eyes at Jack was barf-inducing. Jack's a sassy, sexy, vibrant man-about-the-Galaxy with a penchant for cute Time Lords; no way would he ever get the hots for a dull plodding Cardiff housewife, so give it up, Russell! Also, Gwen's speech about being shot, poisoned, beaten yet coming back stronger was exceptionally cringe-worthy coming from such a sadsack bunch of pathetic losers.

Capt. John wants to join your team, Jack! For god's sake take him up on that and send the rest of the sorry bunch back through the rift post-haste, before S2 starts haemorrhaging viewers too.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 11:00 PM

I enjoyed it, but I have low standards for this show now.

ScarlettLynn

ScarlettLynn

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm here because I'm completely addicted to television.

Posted Jan 16, 2008 @ 11:14 PM

I really liked. I had a big dopey grin on my face the whole time. I'm so glad it's back and I am so completely looking forward to Martha's arrival.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 12:40 AM

Gotta throw in a big THANK YOU! for the "Thirsty now..." Evil Willow shoutout from JM, and the bar-demolishing foreplay ala Spike/Buffy. And while there's no doubt in my mind Captain Jack's is bigger, I'm not sure I buy that Captain John's lasts longer... but I'll bet he does quite well in an orgy!

Ianto is going to sprain an eyeball if he keeps rolling his eyes that often. I hope we get to tag along on his date with Jack.

Loved it - can't wait for next week!

TWoP Bayliss

TWoP Bayliss

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

1) Please remember not to jump onboard until the episode has completely aired. Thanks.

2) Please keep in mind that Torchwood is a BBC2 show this year. In this UK-paced thread, please keep your spoiling philosophy in line with that -- or just wait until the episode airs officially, on BBC2. The point is to have the maximum of conversants and minimum of complaints. PM or email me if you have input.

3) When you are discussing spoilers, please follow the spirit of the rule -- to keep other people from knowing info they'd rather not know. In other words, don't get cutesy about it.

4) If your post is entirely shipper content and has nothing to do with the show as a whole, please take it elsewhere. The minority Janto contingent is racking up a healthy reputation for bullying that really takes the fun out of things for everybody else. This is exactly the kind of thing that results in Torchwood not having dedicated threads -- it's just not worth the time.

Edited by TWoP Bayliss, Mar 17, 2008 @ 5:01 AM.

Ginn

Ginn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 1:36 AM

It seems Ianto has let go of some of his emo man-pain. As has Jack, for that matter- he was quippier than he was last season, wasn't he? Unfortunately, those two were the only romantic pairing in the episode that didn't make me cringe. The non-'shippy stuff was fine, Tosh leaping eagerly at whatever scraps of hints Owen gave was just sad to watch, and Gwen/Jack seemed to come out of nowhere. Find a better girlfriend, Rhys!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 4:04 AM

This was brilliant. Seriously after waiting 1 year and 15 days this show came back with an episode that made me fall in love with the series all over again.

The team interaction was a highlight. These people feel like they do care for one another and have each other's backs. Hard not to love that.

I got sexual vibes off everyone. Owen and Toshiko had some suggestive moments as did Jack with Gwen, Ianto and John. Still no on the Jack/Gwen thing. She's engaged for pete's sake.

John was a great villain. I didn't think I was going to dig James Marsters in the role as much as I would've but he was so good here, it was hard not to enjoy him. The fight scene between him and Jack - anyone else think the Buffy episode "Smashed"? It definitely had that vibe to it. There are way too many good moments between them to even count. All I'll say is bring him back.

Jack asked Ianto on a date? Cue a lot of obscene squeeing from me. I'd like to see them have an actual relationship rather than a mere. Go on CC and RTD, you know you want to.

The Blowfish at the start was cool. Pity he didn't make it past the first five minutes. John's methods of trying to stop the gang was interesting but who is Gray and when can we meet him?

Like the Hub redesign. They didn't go all out but it looks less dank than in Season 1. Hate the end credits but they're not gonna change though, are they?

The trailer at the end was good. So much to look forward to in the next twelve weeks. Yay us!

Doctor Quist

Doctor Quist

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm a gay woman whose interests are mainly Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV. Doctor Who, Heroes, Star Trek franchise, Blakes 7 etc etc<br /><br />I'm generally an easy going sort. My worst trait is a tendency to leave the teabag in my tea as I drink it. Which is gross I admit.

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 4:13 AM

During their stilted exchange in the warehouse Tosh & Owen sounded like extras from Grange Hill; poor performers and totally charisma-free. Gwen making moony eyes at Jack was barf-inducing. Jack's a sassy, sexy, vibrant man-about-the-Galaxy with a penchant for cute Time Lords; no way would he ever get the hots for a dull plodding Cardiff housewife, so give it up, Russell! Also, Gwen's speech about being shot, poisoned, beaten yet coming back stronger was exceptionally cringe-worthy coming from such a sadsack bunch of pathetic losers.

Actually Glastonian you've helped me put a finger on what bugged me about last nights episode. It was indeed that when Jack and John weren't smoking up the screen, the rest of the Scooby gang seemed to come across as badly acted extras in their own show. And the show seems to have as little respect for them as I do.

Edited by Doctor Quist, Jan 17, 2008 @ 4:15 AM.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 4:51 AM

The thing that struck me most about KKBB was that it was the show we thought we were getting way back when the Captain Jack spin-off was first announced. Free wheeling, slightly ambiguous morally, but witty and fun and made of a golden combination of win and squee.

Hurrah! Sure it wasn't the best of the best episodes so far, but the likes of CJH and TKKS are big, grandstanding "look at me! look at me!" concept episodes that are hard to do in season premiere. But comparing this to Everything Changes? It looks like a good season is on its way.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 5:04 AM

Captain Jack and Captain John are totally the best Innuendo Squad ever.

I know what you mean. I seem to recall muttering someting about all Time Agents being nymphomaniacal perverts. Ok so we've only met two of them so far but given the two... That and I got a shock, Gwen was actually useful.

SanLynn

SanLynn

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 5:04 AM

Actually, except for the (in my opinion) out of left field regretful, pining conversation that Gwen/Jack had I really liked this episode. It's miles better than most of series one.

For once everyone seemed to get somewhat of equal time and the story was intriguing to me. I liked that the blowfish wasn't just a one off beginning story but actually had some purpose.

Character wise I thought some of the conversations were a bit stilted. Particularly Owen/Tosh. But I'm not used to seeing them share "alone" time together so maybe that was why.

After the Jack/Gwen scene I wasn't all that impressed with Jack's pursuit of Ianto. It didn't look like Ianto was particularly thrilled with it either but maybe he was just playing hard to get. I would like to see a bit more conversation between them though. I feel like there's something not being said, like I'm missing something. Hopefully it'll become clearer.

Looking forward to Martha showing up. Other than that the previews were a jumble. That said, I'm hopeful about series 2.

Edited by SanLynn, Jan 17, 2008 @ 5:06 AM.

Diva Las Vegas

Diva Las Vegas

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 5:37 AM

I loved this. Chock full of plotholes but Capt. Spike stole the whole thing, from the arteries and "thirsty" to the tourist remark. Lucky they made Jack so billowy coat and Angel-ish. Would have loved for Spike to make his entrance by crashing into a "Croeso i Cardiff" sign.

Didn't enjoy the series much last year at all. This is a big improvement, at least for as long as they keep James Masters around.

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 5:41 AM

I rather liked the episode I thought it was rather better than most of the last series. I did wonder though if the explosion sent the team back to when Captain Join came through the rift what happened to the men fighting in the car park, you know the thug who got thrown off the side and attracted TW in the first place, where did they go, so did that not happen. Also what are they going to do for the next few hours they can't go back to work like Jack said because they will bump into themselves in the hub, Gwen can't go home because she had already spoken to rhys, Imagine her getting home just as he is having a conversion on the Phone with her earlier self.

That was one civil blowfish even if it was high on drugs, it obeyed the Traffic lights for the old lady but then ruined it by invading a house and shooting somebody if he had just run away he wouldn't have attracted the attension of TW.

The Gang seems to have bonded rather well, althougth it seems out of resentment of Jack vanishing more than anything else. At least they are working better together, it was hardly their fault that John was from the 51st century and ran rings round them, thater interesting method of poison though.

The episode last night had a ratings figure of 3.7 million

Edited by kwynne38, Jan 17, 2008 @ 6:05 AM.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 7:06 AM

Jack: "I worked my way through the ranks."
John: "I bet the ranks were grateful."

Hee. I could have dispensed with the plot and eagerly watched more of them innuendo and snipe at each other.

Tosh leaping eagerly at whatever scraps of hints Owen gave was just sad to watch

I didn't get that vibe at all, I thought she pretty much dismissed his offer.

BrandyAlexander

BrandyAlexander

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 7:21 AM

I actually laughed out loud when Ianto quick as a flash produced the stopwatch. There were lots of great moments in last nights episode. I think they outweighed the bad ones that are already mentioned here. I got a little confused over what was going on with Jack and Gwen. I mean is this just being thrown in so that there is tension between the male and female leads. The Captain John and Ianto flirting seemed a lot more natural and made more sense to the story.

All in all I enjoyed it and am looking forward to the rest of the series.

Gospel

Gospel

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 7:30 AM

FYI the BBC Torchwood site has a mission report from Owen detailing their Himalayan trip (the one the Master sent them on). So it hasn't entirely been forgotten.

What does it say?

LilaFowler

LilaFowler

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 8:26 AM

You can find a transcribed copy of Owen's report here.

James Marsters was fun. He was a badly needed element missing from the first go-round. Is Grey some sort of male pregnancy love child?

Jack's a sassy, sexy, vibrant man-about-the-Galaxy with a penchant for cute Time Lords; no way would he ever get the hots for a dull plodding Cardiff housewife, so give it up, Russell!

I don't understand the pushing of the Jack and Gwen pairing. So he's seen her cheat on her boyfriend with a fellow Torchwooder, then drug said boyfriend, then resurrect dead said boyfriend at the near expense of humankind only to have "come back" just for her? So Jack's real ambition/motivation is to spend the rest of this lifetime in the missionary position with Gwen? How... sad for him really. I really believed Barrowman when he said this Jack would be closer to the DW Jack, but now? Not so much.

So when he's not crying ugly, Ianto can act! Lovely. Poor boy should've said "no" however; that might've been more interesting.

Edited by LilaFowler, Jan 17, 2008 @ 8:29 AM.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 8:28 AM

Extended trailer for Season 2

http://freemaagyeman.com/news/

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 8:34 AM

On our way back [from the Himalayas], they told us Harry Saxon had won the election, then he murdered the American President, then he was shot dead by his wife. A week really is a long time in politics.

Hee!

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 8:44 AM

The mission report also might expain one of the reasons they were so cross at jack.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 9:36 AM

it was the show we thought we were getting way back

YES. This is exactly why I liked it too. I could have forgiven everything about last series if it had only been as sexy and fun as they had implied it was, instead of a strangely depressing weekly 'team member cracks up' fest.

Re Jack & Gwen, somehow when I was watching this episode something clicked into place for me which had never made sense before, most particularly with regard to Ianto, whose relationship with Jack never made ANY sense to me. And that is that Jack is not just pansexual but, well, literally pansexual in the sense of being attracted to various people at once. He's not having a romance with Ianto, or a flirtation with Gwen, or Tosh, so much as he's half in love with all of them at once (I admit I don't see it particularly with Owen yet, but work with me here). For whatever reason (maybe a development of the Doctor's general love for humanity), it's the whole group of them that he's crushing on. And in return, because let's face it Jack has a rather strong sexual presence, they are all on various levels feeling an attraction back. Ianto has acted on it, Gwen is sort of tempted, who knows about the other two but generally, the whole multi-sexual vibe that's swimming around is confusing them all, hence the other inter-office relationships as well.

I don't think I'm explaining this very well, but it sort of works for me, though I don't think they did a good job of explaining how it came about. But from now on I am going to be assuming that Jack fancies all of them and all of them, more or less, fancy him. It's a very weird premise for a series.

Otherwise, I thought James Marsters was terrific in this episode, to my surprise because I got so good and sick of him in that later Spike mode that I had forgotten why I originally liked him, or that he could act. I think it helped that for once, his age was not brushed aside but actually part of the character - not being immortal like Jack (and he played his reaction to that very well), he was getting to the point where all that schtick was becoming a bit tired and less cute. And yeah, having Adam Ant songs in your head is in no way a bad thing!

mtkau

mtkau

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 9:53 AM

Why the hell would you invent a story about a diamond, only to make it kill the person who killed you then found the supposed diamond, when without the story about the diamond there would be much less of a chance anyone would want to kill you as there is no diamond story?

Notorious JMG

Notorious JMG

Fanatic

• Interests:Chuck, House, South Park, My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, The Office, Scrubs, Doctor Who, Torchwood, Life on Mars, The West Wing

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 10:31 AM

Oh, I think there's a diamond somewhere. I think that'll be part of why we haven't seen the last of Captain John.

A couple quick observations:
1) There are times - and there were a couple of them in this episode - when it would be highly advantageous for the Range Rover to have standard police lights - and maybe even a siren! - instead of those stupid blue rope lights. Clearly, people know about Torchwood - "Bloody Torchwood!" - so why bother hiding in emergency situations?

2) Owen needs to take a tactical driving course. Seriously. Either that or Torchwood needs to get a slightly more maneuverable vehicle.

3) It's amazing how quickly they got the wheel and tire on the blowfish's Crossfire fixed so that Jack could engage in some thrilling heroics. It had been, what, twelve hours since Owen shot out the tire? Are there all night tire repair shops in Cardiff that Torchwood has a special arrangement with - "We bring you a car with a shot out tire, you repair it right then, no questions asked"?

I still enjoyed the episode, though. Gotta love the Torchwood (even if Captain John was like a disturbing hybrid of Jack Harkness and Jayne Cobb with a little bit of Tom Paris thrown in for good measure).

Heatherbelle

Heatherbelle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 10:40 AM

don't think I'm explaining this very well, but it sort of works for me, though I don't think they did a good job of explaining how it came about. But from now on I am going to be assuming that Jack fancies all of them and all of them, more or less, fancy him. It's a very weird premise for a series.

but somehow works. I think you're right.

Otherwise, I thought James Marsters was terrific in this episode, to my surprise because I got so good and sick of him in that later Spike mode that I had forgotten why I originally liked him, or that he could act. I think it helped that for once, his age was not brushed aside but actually part of the character - not being immortal like Jack (and he played his reaction to that very well), he was getting to the point where all that schtick was becoming a bit tired and less cute. And yeah, having Adam Ant songs in your head is in no way a bad thing!

He was great in this role, I really enjoyed him. And really, it's no bad thing that some of the bits I liked were the bits that reminded me of Early days Spike too.

It's a good romp, and I like that.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 10:45 AM

3) It's amazing how quickly they got the wheel and tire on the blowfish's Crossfire fixed so that Jack could engage in some thrilling heroics. It had been, what, twelve hours since Owen shot out the tire? Are there all night tire repair shops in Cardiff that Torchwood has a special arrangement with - "We bring you a car with a shot out tire, you repair it right then, no questions asked"?

I'm saying it was Iantoed. "Ianto" - it's the new verb for when something that's been cleaned, fixed, repaired or replaced in an improbably swift time behind the scenes (ie "the Hub Conference Room was Iantoed between seasons")

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 11:23 AM

Wow. I was deeply startled at 9.50pm yesterday to realise I'd just watched a thoroughly enjoyable episode of Torchwood! In fact, I was grinning for most of it! Although, I did find myself saying "Who are you, and what have you done with [insert name of Torchwood employee here]?" quite a lot. I wasn't really buying Gwen's sudden promotion to the most superest leader ever, but then I thought, who else could have done the job? Ianto's got underling written all over him, Tosh is still better with tech then people, and after the end of last season, would anyone trust Owen with power? Someone had to step up, Gwen did it, and turned out to be surprisingly good at it. Hey Gwen, where was that brain of yours last season? Did Owen and his headboard bang it clean out of your skull?

So that was definitely a good start to the season for me, and shots of Martha being threatened by Jim Robinson had me really looking forward to more. I just hope that the energy and fun of last nights episode wasn't all down to James Marsters spurring the team on, let's hope they can carry on on their own. Nuallain is right, this is the Torchwood I was hoping for last year, so why did we have to put up with the Unlovables for season one?

WynterWolf

WynterWolf

Stalker

Posted Jan 17, 2008 @ 11:30 AM

I'm saying it was Iantoed. "Ianto" - it's the new verb for when something that's been cleaned, fixed, repaired or replaced in an improbably swift time behind the scenes (ie "the Hub Conference Room was Iantoed between seasons")

Oh my gosh, that's perfect. I really wish my house would be Iantoed.