Torchwood: On What The Arse Represents (UK)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

7896 replies to this topic

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 6:51 AM

Soooo... they're doing a new 'adult' spin off of Doctor Who - upping it to 27 weeks a year of Whoey goodness!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

The new show, Torchwood, will star John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness as he works in 21st century Cardiff alongside the Torchwood team set up by the British government (and presumably "Harriet Jones, PM, United Kingdom") to keep alien technology out of the public domain while using it themselves to solve out of the ordinary crimes. It's going to go out after 9pm so will be more adult in tone than Doctor Who, and presumably, the BBC won't be censoring Jack's arse anymore. I'm predicting "Spooks with aliens" myself.

One interesting element that have been revealed are the idea that Torchwood will operate under the UN's radar and will be trying to keep the alien tech for the UK itself, so it's possible there'll actually be a Torchwood vs UNIT arc at some point.

More speculative are the ideas some people have had that it'll be set in the two year hole in Jack's memory and that the Cardiff setting indicates that the Rift from the Doctor Who episodes The Unquiet Dead and Boom Town will act as a kind of Hellmouth -- pulling in the weird and the strange from thousands of miles around.

ETA:

Filming begins early 2006 for a Fall 2006 transmission date. The first foreshadowing of the new spinoff will be in the Doctor Who Christmas Special, where the existence of the Torchwood team will be namedropped, though they won't appear.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 7:23 AM

Heh. That topic title really sums it up ... I bet that is actually the whole raison d'etre of the series, the chance to actually show what the early evening slot wouldn't allow last time! Shall we place bets on how soon Jack will get naked? I'm going to be cautious and say episode two, purely because by then he will have met everyone and some potential love interest will be embarrassed to walk in on him coming out of the shower or somesuch.

The RiftHellmouth idea is very interesting, depending on how they do it - ie not too obviously a Buffy ripoff.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 7:59 AM

I wonder how this will effect Eleventh Hour? Two shows about government troubleshooter teams specializing in high science and technology on rival networks being mooted as 'adult science fiction'? The critics are bound to draw comparisons.

phoenix_73

phoenix_73

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 8:14 AM

Usually when I hear they're transplanting a supporting character from a show and giving him centre stage in another, I have my doubts. But not this time, I am actually thrilled to hear there's going to be more Captain Jack on TV. John Barrowman was too good not to be given more screen time.

And if Russell Davies is involved, then I am supremely optimistic that all will be well.

I wonder how this will effect Eleventh Hour?

Can I ask, what's Eleventh Hour?

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 8:42 AM

Eleventh Hour is, essentially, Doomwatch3.0 - though I doubt anyone working on it would admit to that. It's being made by ITV as a response to the success of Doctor Who. It stars Patrick Stewart as the leader of a government sponsored team of science troubleshooters who track down and deal with cases of out of control science.

Actually, last month's SFX has a hilarious interview with Stewart -- who claimed that it was "ridiculous" and "lazy" to call Eleventh Hour SF and then gave examples of the storylines to illustrate how *not* SF it is:

>One story will have the team tracking down an operation that's illegally cloning dead children for their parents -ala Godsend.
>Another features a bioterrorist unleashing a genetically modified version of smallpox that makes people's faces peel off in the middle of Manchester.
>A third has a scientist discovering that global warming data has been manipulated to make the problem look better than it is, and that the world is actually about to end any day now. He then goes on the run from the assassins of the sinister secret government that want to shut him up.
>The last one is about the investigation of a mysterious spring whose water is miraculously curing people of cancer

So not at all SF at all then, Patrick! :rolleyes:

I think Torchwood will have the advantage in that it will be free of that po-faced denial of it's SF roots, and consequently much more fun.

hakirby

hakirby

Fanatic

• Interests:SF, the paranormal, Bollywood, the outdoors and healthy living

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 8:51 AM

WOOOHOOO!! CAP'N JACK! Hopefully scuddie!! What more can I say?

I saw that interview as well. Shut-up Patrick!

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 9:02 AM

Usually when I hear they're transplanting a supporting character from a show and giving him centre stage in another, I have my doubts. But not this time, I am actually thrilled to hear there's going to be more Captain Jack on TV. John Barrowman was too good not to be given more screen time.

ITA John Barrowman has charisma to spare, and will make a great leading man. And I love the thread title!

I like the idea of this kind of being like the Angel to Doctor Who's Buffy.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 9:34 AM

I like the idea of this kind of being like the Angel to Doctor Who's Buffy.

1st thought: puppet arse.
2nd thought: I hope it's good.
3rd: The Hellmouth eventually wiped out the city above it.

I look forward to not watching this on an American network next summer.

jmhardin

jmhardin

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 9:39 AM

I can't wait to see more of Captain Jack! I wonder if there will be much crossover between this and DW. Either way, this yank will be watching one way or another.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 9:41 AM

Stewart -- who claimed that it was "ridiculous" and "lazy" to call Eleventh Hour SF

Hmm, so it's fiction ... and all the stories involve science ... yeah, clearly not science fiction though.

It's true the plots sound similar but 11th Hour sounds more po-faced and ITVtastic, while Jack's Arse will have that Russell T Davies sensibility and probably be a lot more camp. I wonder if he will write all the episodes or, like Who, get in guest writers? If so, who would be a good choice?

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 10:24 AM

He's not writing all the episodes. PJ Hammond (the creator of Sapphire and Steel) has been tapped to write some of them and there's another guy whose name escapes me.

I've heard unconfirmed reports too that both shows will be exec produced by RTD but the producers will be different -- meaning that RTD can flit around from one to the other while the two production teams devote themselves full time to their respective shows.

In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Torchwood is the real reason Joe Ahearne and half the Doctor Who script editing team aren't working on S2 of Who.

katygrl

katygrl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 10:40 AM

It's so very exciting. Captain Jack gets his own show! I'm hoping that this will push BBC America to show both it and Dr. Who here in the states.

*stupidpbsscifichannelpoopheads*

It's not nice to not share what I'm sure will be some kick-ass scif.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 11:08 AM

I'm hoping for a cable network that doesn't require getting digital cable to get whatever American channel carries Torchwood & Doctor Who.

Edited by cutecouple, Oct 17, 2005 @ 11:14 AM.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 5:26 PM

Hey, Patrick, if you didn't want to be associated with SF, why the hell did you do Star Trek and X-Men?

A quote from Lalla Ward, when she was performing in Hamlet:

Patrick [Stewart] said to me, 'You used to be in Doctor Who didn't you?' and I said 'Yes, I still am actually,' and he said 'I mean why do you do all this television, why don't you do proper stuff like theatre,' and I said 'Well I love it actually, I love doing Doctor Who.' 'But science fiction, I mean why would you want to do science fiction?' I said, 'I don't know - I think partly because you learn so much technical stuff, it's really interesting,' and he said 'Oh I wouldn't want to do that sort of stuff.'

I haven't run into Patrick Stewart since, but I look forward to it so I can say, 'Funny, why do you do all that sort of science fiction stuff you do now, why aren't you doing the proper theatre like real actors.'

However, I am looking foward to Torchwood.

The Hellmouth eventually wiped out the city above it.

Yes, but this is Cardiff. Didn't Margaret say that the whole west coast could fall into the ocean and no one in London would care? Something along those lines.

hakirby

hakirby

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 7:28 PM

Yeah, but Captain Jack? Need I say more?

Well, yes, I will.

Captain Jack. Nuff said.

queenb

queenb

Fanatic

Posted Oct 17, 2005 @ 7:55 PM

I can't wait to see more of Captain Jack!

*snicker* Me too!

Mongi

Mongi

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 12:16 AM

Jack's Arse

Now I will never remember to call it by its proper name, this show will forever be 'Jack's Arse.' I just hope they don't tone down the bisexuality now that he's the lead. Jack should be shared equally among the sexes.

fernsey

fernsey

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 2:57 AM

Given that RTD's the writer, and BBC3's the channel, I would expect that the Bi aspect will move rapidly out of the sub and into the text. Torchwood? More like FLAMINGwood

Ide Cyan

Ide Cyan

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 4:38 AM

Liz Shaw should totally be on that show.

La Anah

La Anah

Fanatic

• Interests:Film, Graphic Design, Science Fiction

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 7:27 AM

Torchwood? More like FLAMINGwood

Yeah, I'm impressed they found an anagram for "Doctor Who" that could also be the name of a gay disco.

Although I love that Jack is getting his own show, I'm a bit sad to think he won't get to be on DW as much (or at all) because of it.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 7:58 AM

I know, that's the one downside. I wanted to see him flirt with David Tennant. Maybe they can do a crossover. They'll have to set it up to introduce the new show, surely?

Hee! A gay disco. I can't wait to hear the theme tune. Maybe they'll get the Pet Shop Boys to remix it.

Re sci fi vs "sci fi", I was watching a programme last night about John Wyndham (Day of the Triffids, Midwich Cuckoos etc) and it reminded me that there is a long British tradition of science fiction which is not about going into space at all, which 11th Hour sounds like it fits into completely. Obviously Patrick Stewart doesn't know this and just wants to make it look like he doesn't just do the same thing all the time. Patrick, we know you've done Dickens and Moby Dick and all that, relax.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 8:18 AM

Apparantly, they've categorically said there won't be any crossovers of the Part One in DW, Part Two in Torchwood style. It'd be hard to do anyway, with Who running every Spring, and Torchwood every Autumn.

Harriet Jones (PM, United Kingdom) is in the Christmas Special apparantly, and the word "Torchwood" gets mentioned so I'd bet she'll show up in Torchwood as well. Probably room for DW characters to show up from time to time too. Personally, I think a Silurians story could work well.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 9:38 AM

That kind of crossover would be pants but I'd like to see the Doctor and Rose appear in the first episode, maybe, to help start things off. Like (terrible comparison) Jack and Daniel in the first episode of Stargate Atlantis.

Blairish

Blairish

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 1:04 PM

Well I heard that Captain Jack is still going to be in series 3 of Who so your hopes of seeing him flirt with David Tenant should still be realised :¬)

Edited by Blairish, Oct 18, 2005 @ 1:04 PM.

phoenix_73

phoenix_73

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 4:24 PM

When I told my mum that Captain Jack was getting his own series on BBC 3, I paused a moment to let her ask who Captain Jack was, because I have learnt that even though my beloved Mama watched Dr Who and enjoyed every bit of it, she's not always great with the character retention. But such is the impact that Captain Jack made on her that she instantly squealed with delight (seriously) and declared it was only right that he be recognised in this fashion.
Which leads me to speculate that RTD knows exactly what he's doing because my mother can't be the only one who went from being a Doctor Who know-nothing-at-all to someone who is looking forward to the Christmas special and remembers who Captain Jack is even though it's been months since she saw the episodes and dealing with my 96 year old grandmother on a daily basis is enough to make anyone's brain explode sometimes.*

*Disclaimer: we all love Granny but she can seriously damage a persons calm sometimes.

Which is why we like to escape from reality by watching Doctor Who!

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 5:50 PM

(sighs) I am soooo happy at this news!

This was the first time I've watched Doctor Who, and while CE was good in the role, Captain Jack is the guy I wanted to see more of.
I freely admit to being almost in tears at the end of his second episode when it looked like he was going to get blown up along with his ship, and I'm sooo glad he's getting his own show.

(wasn't quite as worried near the end of the finale because I'd heard spoilers that he was going to be showing up in either the Xmas special or the second season)

hakirby

hakirby

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 6:27 PM

Anyone see Barrowman in Loose Women today? Colleen Nolan had me in fits. Even my mother recognised him, and she hates SF. However, she did agree that he was rather fetching.

Hot Damn! That man is sex on legs!

*And not a bad actor either*

I would watch Jack's Arse, even if the The Arse wasn't in it. A) It's a Dr Who spinoff, B) it's SF, and C)RTD is behind it.

*That last bit looked better in my head.

katygrl

katygrl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2005 @ 9:32 PM

Yes! Yes! Woot! To the Tennant/Capt. Jack flirting.

Although, I must say, I'm going to miss CE horribly, because I think he and Barrowman had great chemistry. But, I live in hope of more of the pretty.

Cosanostra

Cosanostra

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2005 @ 6:49 AM

This is great news. Jack's arse definitely needs more media exposure. He also needs a good supporting cast for naughty flirty chemistry, so here’s hoping he gets the actors and characters he deserves to give his arse the loving support it needs.

La Guardianista

La Guardianista

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2005 @ 12:34 PM

Much as I think Tennant and Barrowman (I've gone all surnamey and proper for some reason, perhaps I'm fermenting a public school fanfic in my brain) would work beautifully together, I can wait until season 3 for that. I think Torchwood is such a good idea - they can be much darker and twistier with this time slot. Seeing what they did with the Bad Wolf arc makes me very excited about this!
Also I'm very pleased that the possible meme for next season (which all the papers leaked as Torchwood) may not yet have been discovered - unless it is still this, in which case...sad, spoilered me