Anne of Green Gables

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1063 replies to this topic

jezebelandworse

jezebelandworse

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Matlock, Monk, Little House on the Prairie, The Simple Life, Meerkat Manor, Good Eats, Andy Griffith, Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie, Boston Legal, William Shatner, My Name is Earl, Joy of Painting, Katherine MacGregor, Richard Bull, Melrose Place, Thomas Calabro, Laura Leighton, Night of the Living Dead, Christina Aguilera, Ace of Cakes, Alton Brown, Malcolm in the Middle, T.J. Hooker, The Baby-Sitters Club, The Jerk, Beavis and Butthead, Justin Berfield, Nip/Tuck, Dylan Walsh, Julian McMahon, Bobby Flay, Guy Fieri, Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, Robert Irvine, Dinner Impossible, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Unwrapped, Anthony Bourdain, A Cook's Tour, Food Network Challenge, Falco, Kylie Minogue, Ashlee Simpson

Posted May 26, 2008 @ 11:54 PM

Anybody heard anything else about the new movie? Just wondering.

Imelda

Imelda

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 3:10 PM

I just ran by this today, about the 100th anniversary.

I haven't really heard anything more about the movie, but I have started rereading my Anne books. No matter how many times I read them, I never get tired of them!

stlbf

stlbf

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2008 @ 10:59 PM

Bumping this thread up. Thanks to the fact that I just read some god awful news about this upcoming crapstorm that is the Anne movie 4. In this shit "sequel", the (spoilers @ link) IMBD storyline. I call Bullshit! Bullshit I say! That summary just sealed my non viewing status. Just reading that spoiler made me rant and rave at my computer for the past 10 minutes. I'm still pissed.

Kevin Sullivan? A total HACK! A TALENTLESS ASSHAT who cares only about the cash cow the Anne series has been to him. He certainly doesn't care about the spirit of the books! And so help me, I hope that LMM isn't turning over in her grave because of what this jackass has done to her beloved characters and books.

Someone else must have been in control, behind the scenes with the original Anne movie. What else explains the vast differences between the movies?

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Sep 22, 2008 @ 11:43 PM

I . . . Ju . . .

I have no words. I haven't felt my childhood be this violated since I read that godawful travesty of a book "Return to the Secret Garden."

But thank you for the warning.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

Okay, that sucked.
As the British would say, think I'll "give it a miss".

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 2:53 PM

I don't even feel insulted, just bored. That storyline sounds so lame.

Fraoch

Fraoch

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 3:22 PM

>>Secret hidden under the floorboards? Still living birth father? WTF???<<

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 3:37 PM

Hmm, let's see, perhaps Matthew and Marilla were really lovers, not brother and sister, and plotted to get Anne from the orphanage because she really was their love child.

Hey, it couldn't be much worse!

anaximander

anaximander

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 4:10 PM

Somewhat germane to the discussion - Montgomery's granddaughter has now indicated, in perhaps the most major Canadian newspaper, that L.M. Montgomery actually took her own life. http://www.theglobea...ry/mentalhealth

Heatherbelle

Heatherbelle

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 5:30 PM

I have no words. I haven't felt my childhood be this violated since I read that godawful travesty of a book "Return to the Secret Garden."

I

Is that the one where they go all 'adult' and everyone cheats on everyone with everyone else? I wished I'd never bothered reading it...

I just about dealt with Anne 3, I refuse to even contemplate that one.

Way to miss the whole point of the books.

rosettaresearch

rosettaresearch

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 8:58 PM

Uh, uh, uh, uh. There's no way to describe how I feel after reading that summary. Really this must be stopped. It's beyond a travesty.

I was less than thrilled with the book "Before Green Gables." Now this is just more destruction of my beloved Anne.

We could run all of PEI for a year from the energy of LMM spinning in her grave over this.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2008 @ 9:17 PM

Is that the one where they go all 'adult' and everyone cheats on everyone with everyone else? I wished I'd never bothered reading it...

That's the one.

Uh, uh, uh, uh. There's no way to describe how I feel after reading that summary. Really this must be stopped. It's beyond a travesty.

Rather than stop it, I'd rather have it get the green light and then be torn apart by critics and get absolutely pathetic ratings.

Sorry, was that mean?

stlbf

stlbf

Fanatic

Posted Sep 25, 2008 @ 12:26 PM

No. No, that certainly isn't mean. Enough that is.

OverYonder

OverYonder

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 11:55 AM

* There's also a scene in The Blue Castle written during the Emily years that has the main character at a family dinner in which she rebels and just starts saying exactly what she thinks of everyone. It's a really funny scene, and The Blue Castle wasn't meant to be a young-adult book, but it did seem to be LMM acting out a bit against the small communities in which she lived where everyone knew everything about everyone else, and held it against them forever.

I love that scene in the book when Valancy "Doss" finally has her fill of having to swallow everything her family sends at her and just lets it rip. I haven't read LMM's journals, and you're making me want to. I always wondered if that particular scene and the Aunt Becky Penhallow character in A Tangled Web might have been a bit of catharsis for LMM living in the time that she did where speaking your mind plainly and telling the harsh truth wasn't allowed, particularly for women.

I echo everyone else's sentiments that the latest Kevin Sullivan bastardization will not be getting my viewership or my money when the DVD comes out. I love Barbara Hershey and Shirley MacLaine but if Sullivan thinks their "star power" is enough to make the audience get over Gilbert being dead and Anne not really being an orphan then I think he's going to be mistaken. I can't imagine this going over well at all. Also?I think Barbara Hershey is severely miscast as an older Anne.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Sep 26, 2008 @ 12:11 PM

The best way for me to deal with this is to totally ignore it.So that is what I am doing...la..la..la..I am not listening to you, Sullivan, you quack...la..la..la...Gilbert isn't dead...la..la..la.la.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2008 @ 11:27 AM

Head's up for those who are interested: the 1934 Anne of Green Gables film is on tomorrow on the U.S. TCM channel. It's a charming, if really inaccurate movie, even compared to any of Sullivan's sequals. How inaccurate? Well, there's an American flag right outside Anne's schoolhouse at one point.

Edited by Ulkis, Oct 7, 2008 @ 11:27 AM.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2008 @ 12:20 PM

That's the one where Rachel Lynde and Diana Barry's mom are combined into one dragon lady, Rachel Barry, right? And Diana was blonde.

Ulkis

Ulkis

Stalker

Posted Oct 7, 2008 @ 3:22 PM

Yes. And Matthew doesn't die at the end. Very weird.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Oct 8, 2008 @ 9:09 AM

I have seen the 1934 verson several times, Gilbert always sounds to me as if he lives in Brookyn and is a member of the Dead End Kids.Diana is kind of va-va-voomish,and when Anne leaves for school, she kisses Marilla Way.Too.Long.
Anyway, these posts made me go back and watch some of my Anne DVD last night. I still am amazed by the sheer loveliness of the first film.
Kevin, why didn't you quit while you were ahead after Anne 2?

LoveLetter

LoveLetter

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2008 @ 1:15 PM

Hey, fellow Anne fans. I was delighted to see this!

I've been slowly reading through all the pages. And wow, am I sad I missed out on TiVoing the '34 movie. I don't think I've ever seen it, so it would've keen kinda fun to check out.

Question for all of you, though: those of you with Anne of Green Gables on DVD, do you have commentary on the first side of the disc? My commentary only seems to work on parts 3-4, which are on side B. I can't tell if I have a defective disc or not and I don't want to buy a replacement if I don't need to.

Anyone have any help for a fellow Anne-ophile?

And, yeah, I watched the third Anne film this summer....uh, there really are NO words for how bad it was. In fact, perhaps only Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones was worse.

Counse

Counse

Fanatic

Posted Nov 17, 2008 @ 3:07 PM

The actor who plays Dominic in the. . .whatever this TV thing is supposed to be looks like a dead ringer for Mario Lopez.

As for the summary - whatever. Kevin Sullivan lost his way with this series around Anne 2. He should have just ended it with Anne and Gil on the bridge. That was a beautiful shot. He didn't have to mess it up with wars, spies, near adultery and now, killing of Gil - in another war no less! Should have quit while you were ahead, Sullivan.

Whenever the weather turns cold, I get this desire to watch the Anne movies. Well, 1 & 2. Not sure why but I just find it comforting curling up under the blanket and watching those movies.

espoir

espoir

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2008 @ 8:47 PM

Question for all of you, though: those of you with Anne of Green Gables on DVD, do you have commentary on the first side of the disc? My commentary only seems to work on parts 3-4, which are on side B. I can't tell if I have a defective disc or not and I don't want to buy a replacement if I don't need to.

LoveLetter, there is definitely a commentary for the first two parts. Do you have the option of turning on the commentary? Seems odd that that it would work on parts 3 and 4 but not the first two. But then again, those discs were so poorly made, I'm not surprised people are finding defects.

All this talk of Anne 4, the terrible storyline, the announcement of an airdate (oh and the news about LMM's death) have made me so nostalgic for the first two movies. I've re-watched them twice in the past month, I made a music video to the footage of those movies, I've reread parts of the books... By the way, if anyone is curious because I sure was, I asked Megan Follows what she thought of this new prequel when I met her at the beginning of the month and she doesn't know a darn thing about it. She did mention that her partner knows the little girl who plays Anne because he's worked with her on another project in the past and that she's good, but that's about it. You should have seen her face when we told her that Anne was not really an orphan. Oy is all.

I'm still debating whether or not to watch. Or even just take a glimpse. Probably not. It doesn't help to learn that Sullivan mentioned Anne 3 as possibly being his favorite movie of the then-trilogy.

LoveLetter

LoveLetter

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 2:01 PM

Do you have the option of turning on the commentary? Seems odd that that it would work on parts 3 and 4 but not the first two. But then again, those discs were so poorly made, I'm not surprised people are finding defects

I thought I'd done almost everything to find the commentary on the first two parts, but I will look again, espoir. (Great handle, BTW) At any rate, your response makes me feel a little less like I am crazy.

Earlier this summer, I read the pre-quel. I ws roaming through the library and it happened to be out on display. Considering how much I just loathed Alexandra Ripley's Scarlett and that awful piece of crap Mrs. DeWinter as the sequels to Gone with the Wind and Rebecca, I wasn't expecting much. Plus, I went into it thoroughly irritated; people just shouldn't do things like this.

In defense of Budge Wilson, though, I thought she did a great job with Anne's character. I thought she really grasped her speech and thought patterns and I loved Anne's posse of imaginary pals. The parts of the book that sort of sucked were the things around all that---the plot, which I felt was uneven and uneventful; the other characters, who I thought were so not-well-drawn (there's some great English for you, lol) that I cannot recall a single one of them; and most of all, the lack of similar attention to nature that LMM did so beautifully.

So, that said, I have NO intention of watching the stupid adaptation of Anne 4...especially since, like how hard would it have been to contract Megan Follows for the Older Anne role or whatever total b-s Kevin "I am as delusional as George Lucas in bastardizing good stuff with whatever I dream up" Sullivan has happening. Word to everyone before me here who's like, "Dude, shoulda quit while you were ahead."

I like that everyone here seems to "go to" Anne for comfort food, you know? I was laid off from a job I just adored back at the end of May. And, one one of those depths of despair days when my boyfriend was out working, I curled up on the couch in a big comforter and started watching Anne of Green Gables (the only DVD I own; I keep thinking I'll break down and get Anne 2, but I don't know...I'm so one the fence over it. It's not a great picture, nor is it a great adaptation of those novels, but taken on its own, it's not half bad. Anne 3 will never be allowed in my house). He came home and, even though it's not his thing, he watched it with me for a bit before going to bed. But there I was, finding myself in my living room at like two in the morning, sobbing my heart out over life and watching Anne. And then, I washed my face, threw out all the Kleenex, turned off the DVD and went to bed. Six weeks later, I had an ever better job, but as I was walking to my first interview for it, I looked out over the expanse of the University quad and I thought, this looks just like Queen's. And now, I must say happily, I am a real [Insert School Name Here] Girl.

I re-read the entire series this summer. And I was amazed at things I missed the first time out: how poignant Anne of the Island really is, how mature Anne's House of Dreams is (and how much better I like it), how Anne of Windy Poplars/Willows isn't very well done at all, how I wasn't wild about Rilla of Ingleside, but how thoroughly beautifully it paints the period.

Yeah, so that was long and rambling, lol. Just my little note saying I'm really happy to have found other Anne-ophiles. There's something wonderful about how well this series endures.

SomeTameGazelle

SomeTameGazelle

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2008 @ 2:14 PM

Given the low expectations and its chronological position in the series as a "prequel", I hereby propose that we should refer to the prequel as "Anne -1" instead of "Anne 4".

stlbf

stlbf

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2008 @ 6:04 PM

Well, Anne 3 wasn't really any part of the true Anne universe either. So shouldn't we rename it "Anne -1" and the newest horror on the block "Anne -2"?

telly

telly

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2008 @ 12:05 PM

I was hoping to forget about Anne 4/-1 when this week's Starweek has this horrible thing on the cover and an article about it. Unfortunately I read it, and it provides spoilers, mostly about Gilbert having been killed in WWII - this isn't even consistent with Anne 3 because if he was in WWI, he would be way too old to fight in WWII and this has enraged me. I can take some changes to the novel, as what happened in Anne 2, and had Anne 3 had a plot that made more sense, I might have bought the jump into the future to be in WWI time, but this "movie" sounds like a horrible cash grab. The plot doesn't make sense when compared to what is established in the original novels, and Sullivan's own earlier work.

Is there a way for the LMM heirs to stop him?

SomeTameGazelle

SomeTameGazelle

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2008 @ 12:13 PM

From the Globe and Mail: "largely unnecessary and mainly disappointing".

Edited by SomeTameGazelle, Dec 13, 2008 @ 12:20 PM.

telly

telly

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 13, 2008 @ 6:30 PM

I love how the comments to the review outline that KS is using Anne as a licence to print money. I hope it gets poor ratings because this really needs to end. It's one thing for George Lucas to rewrite his own characters, quite another for KS to do it to characters created by someone else. I suspect none of the actors involved have ever read the series because they would realize how this movie has nothing to do with the real Anne and that it rewrites what LMM clearly outlined as Anne's life pre-Green Gables.

Why not go back to Emily of New Moon? There was a series, but it ended early on and there was much that could have been done with that?

AnneH

AnneH

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 9:41 AM

OMG. I hadn't read anything about the latest Anne. Saw an ad for it and thought I'd watch last night. I had a horrible feeling as soon as I saw Sullivan's name come up. I only lasted fifteen minutes. What a piece of crap. Her father was apparently resposible for her mother's death in a buggy accident and Anne was about eight when her mother died. That, and Gilbert being dead in WWII, was all the crap I neede to see. OMG, I think I need bleach for my brain.

LilWharveyGal

LilWharveyGal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2008 @ 11:41 AM

Why not go back to Emily of New Moon? There was a series, but it ended early on and there was much that could have been done with that?

Please no. I think I'd go insane if he continued this rampage with my beloved Emily stories. (I could never bring myself to watch the series because I heard there were already big changes from the books.)

If he wanted to do a great family tv movie or mini-series that was faithful to the book (insert laughter here) I think Jane of Lantern Hill or Magic for Marigold would be a good choice.