Petticoat Junction

• Please log in to reply

302 replies to this topic

Milz

Milz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 11:35 AM

Re: Green Acres and Petticoat Junction....

I didn't notice this until someone told me but Green Acres is written from the perspective of Mr. Douglas and Petticoat Junction is written from the perspective of the Hootervillians.

In Green Acres, Mr. Douglas seems sane. Sam Drucker, Eb, Floyd, and Uncle Joe are oddballs. Whenever Mr. Douglas is on Petticoat Junction, he's the oddball and they rest of them are sane.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:11 AM

It was interesting to see Hugh Beaumont as Steve's dad Tuesday. Beaumont always struck me as a bit old to play Beaver and Wally's dad, though he did a lovely job in the role.

I had forgotten that Sam and others pitched in to fix up the "dream house" as a wedding present to Betty Jo and Steve. That was sweet!

Awwwww... Betty Jo getting married in Kate's dress yesterday... Who wouldn't get a little teary at that? Such a silly premise that Uncle Joe and Cousin Mae would think they could surprise a woman with her own wedding dress, but it set up a lovely conclusion.

Edited by Inquisitionist, May 2, 2012 @ 7:12 AM.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

Ack, we're only 5 minutes into Setty Jo's honeymoon and I'm already gagging on the shmoopiness and treacly singing! Plus, MeTV has started running the promo again that features the PJ girls singing "I'm So Glad That You've Found Me." We've officially entered the horrible singing years of the series. (I'm pretty sure that someone unfriended me on FB after I posted a video of the PJ girls singing "Up Up and Away.")

Edited to add: Steve should have stayed with Billie Jo, since Sillie Jo would have been a better mashed-up couple name. Or even Sobbi Jo.

Edited by bobbyhill, May 2, 2012 @ 7:30 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

What was up with Meredith MacRae's hair in this season? Was she hiding it under a wig, and if so why? I noticed that her hair was long and straight in Betty Jo's mini-dress fantasy (horror?) sequence.

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:35 AM

Was she hiding it under a wig, and if so why?

I remember lots of women in the '60s who kept an ornately-styled wig ready to go, for those days when they couldn't get to the salon for a new beehive 'do. The at-home styling products were quite limited, compared to today's options.

Then again, my memories are of middle-aged moms doing the spare wig thing, not girls in their 20s with gorgeous long hair.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

That makes sense, stinkymcgee, but Billie Jo/Meredith seems to be wearing that hairstyle throughout the entire season so far, except for the one scene I mentioned. I guess it was supposed to be a character choice (more sophisticated or "with it" for chanteuse Billie Jo) but that MacRae didn't want to cut her own gorgeous hair.

the shmoopiness and treacly singing!

LOL, as a child, this gave me a pretty warped perspective regarding what people did on their honeymoons!

stinkymcgee

stinkymcgee

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

the shmoopiness and treacly singing!

LOL, as a child, this gave me a pretty warped perspective regarding what people did on their honeymoons!

Hee!

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 12:45 PM

Awwwww... Betty Jo getting married in Kate's dress yesterday... Who wouldn't get a little teary at that? Such a silly premise that Uncle Joe and Cousin Mae would think they could surprise a woman with her own wedding dress, but it set up a lovely conclusion.

I predicted she would try to make everyone happy and wear the dress she found along with the pin from her mother's dress, the boots from cousin May, and, as they walked out of the church, we'd see the big sunflower on the back of her dress. I am glad my prediction was wrong.

I loved this show as a kid, but the only things I remembered were that Betty Jo and Steve got married and that the dog was amazing. I assumed that the Betty Jo and Steve must have lasted a while or them dating/marrying must have been a big deal on the show for it to make such an impression on me but it appears that it was just a couple of episodes and all the other characters were happy about it. It wasn't even all that romantic - but it might have been to a kid who also watched Gilligan's Island and Leave it to Beaver (TV does romance much better now).

The dog is still amazing, although now I realize just how much his scenes are edited and how someone else could easlily be giving him commands off stage.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

I'm pretty sure that someone unfriended me on FB after I posted a video of the PJ girls singing "Up Up and Away."

bobbyhill, you are a kindred spirit. That is awesome (that you posted that, not that somebody, obviously a pained soul, found no sense of joy in that).

I noted Meredith's hair in that dream sequence, too. She had beautiful hair...once it got out from under that wig(?), I got extremely jealous.

Can I just say how much I always loved Sam Drucker?

Edited by Corporal Agarn, May 2, 2012 @ 6:18 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

OMG, Sam and Floyd in long hair and groovy threads was almost frightening!

But, yeah, Sam is a good guy.

prairiegal

prairiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:57 PM

Didn't notice when I was a kid, but watching now, it's obvious that Sam crushed on Kate big time. Aww. He was such a nice man.
I still can't figure out why Paul Henning/show runners didn't address Bea's/Kates's passing. Did they think we wouldn't notice? I know it was the 60's/70's, but obviously her passing was addressed in the news, I remember hearing about it-there was a picture of Bea in our local paper, and the article mentioned Bea being the voice of Betty Rubble, which made me sad, I was almost 8 when she died.

Edited by prairiegal, May 2, 2012 @ 7:58 PM.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:01 PM

Are you telling me that people do more than watch each other shave?

I'm pretty sure that someone unfriended me on FB after I posted a video of the PJ girls singing "Up Up and Away."

bobbyhill, you are a kindred spirit. That is awesome (that you posted that, not that somebody, obviously a pained soul, found no sense of joy in that).

Corporal Agarn, I’m glad you understand. How could anyone not appreciate the beautiful awfulness of this clip?

On another occasion, I posted Steve and Betty Jo’s Hooterville version of Camelot. I especially enjoy Betty Jo’s absurd hair and the peculiar way she bobs her head from side to side.

Edited by bobbyhill, May 3, 2012 @ 11:56 PM.

magicdog

magicdog

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 1:47 AM

I still can't figure out why Paul Henning/show runners didn't address Bea's/Kates's passing. Did they think we wouldn't notice?

ITA. I think it was an executive decision from the suits. They probably thought the audience would be too depressed at Kate's passing and having a lighthearted show like PJ featuring a funeral and Hooterville in mourning wouldn't fit.

It wasn't unusual for the time to ignore an actor's death; one of the best known examples of the period was the events following Pete Duel's death in "Alias Smith & Jones". TPTB chose to recast his character rather than have the character die and replaced by a different character. That hurt the series in many ways.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Are you telling me that people do more than watch each other shave?

They also sing and look out the hotel window.

Where did Betty Jo and Steve get all the dough for that high-rolling honeymoon anyway? They had to have flown from somewhere in Missouri to the west coast, then caught a cruise ship to Hawaii, and it seemed their hotel room was meant to overlook Waikiki Beach. Transportation was a lot costlier, in relative terms, in the mid-60s than it is now.

For that matter, how does Kate pay for everyday groceries let alone the fixings for a wedding reception? I haven't seen a paying guest at the Shady Rest in ages!

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

Where did Betty Jo and Steve get all the dough for that high-rolling honeymoon anyway?

I wondered the same thing.

For that matter, how does Kate pay for everyday groceries let alone the fixings for a wedding reception?

Oooh, I can answer this one - for her birthday, Sam Drucker gave Kate all her cgrocery lists with a note that they were "paid in full." Although, she mentioned that she has been shopping there for decades - I hope she has paid something on her account in all that time.

Where did Uncle Joe get the money for the weding dress with the huge sunflower?

Edited by needschocolate, May 3, 2012 @ 6:28 PM.

Runningwild

Runningwild

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:48 PM

That "Up, Up, and Away" video was awesome! Those girls are quite the guitarists- Billie Jo moves her fingers around, but all her fingers are on the same string. And Betty Jo doesn't seem to be strumming at all.

whisper

whisper

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 10:41 PM

That round bed in Betty Jo and Steve's honeymoon suite was pretty racy for a family show! :-)

Edited by whisper, May 3, 2012 @ 10:42 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Yeah, but if Betty Jo's biggest thrill was watching Steve shave, I don't think they were using that bed correctly.

And in other news today: Billie Jo was back to long hair. Betty Jo and Steve face manufactured newlywed crises. Bobbie Jo is adorable.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:02 PM

Didn't like Steve in today's MeTV episode, insisting that his wife be "feminine." He knew she was a tomboy when he married her. You shouldn't marry someone if you're going to try to change her!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

Ack, I wondered when that one was coming up, bobbyhill. My sentiments exactly! (And out of character for how Steve was portrayed not long ago.)

And now that I've seen the episode, double Ack! Wouldn't the railroad be liable for letting the horse it was supposed to transport be ridden by Joe all the way to Pixley? They owners PAID for a train ride. Sheesh.

And Betty Jo couldn't just have explained to Steve why she needed to run the Cannonball to help her friends -- you know, all those people who fixed up the frickin' shack she found into the adorable cottage it is now?

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 6:01 AM

Yeah, that was an especially weird and contrived episode. Steve as a character totally did a 180 there.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

I recently made the connetion that Jack Bannon is Bea Benederet's son. I noticed him in Is This My Daughter? as one of the fellows who followed Betty Jo from New York (the one who kept saying "Smashing!"), and as the traffic cop yesterday in Kate's Day in Court, plus something else in between. He made about 15 appearances as various characters over all, but to me he'll always be Art Donovan from Lou Grant.

Also noticed that Bea's first husband, Jim Bannon, was 5 years younger than she was, and her second husband, Gene Twombley, was 8 years younger. Good on her!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 3:57 PM

I feel anticipatory grief with each episode that takes us closer to Bea Benaderet's departure. You can feel the transition to the later years starting to happen as the show begins to focus more on Steve and Betty Jo's domestic life, Billie Jo's singing, etc.

Edited by bobbyhill, May 9, 2012 @ 4:45 PM.

Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Channel Surfer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Happy 70th birthday, Gunilla Hutton!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

I feel anticipatory grief with each episode that takes us closer to Bea Benaderet's departure.

Oh, dear, I think we're just a few episodes away...

I noticed that Bea/Kate didn't appear in yesterday's episode, Steve, the Apple Polisher, and she's also listed as (credit only) for the episode that should have aired this morning, The Barbershop Quartet. Then it looks like she might appear in the following episode, Come Home Higgins before dropping out of sight until Kate's Homecoming. The end is near. ::sob::

Edited by Inquisitionist, May 16, 2012 @ 11:01 AM.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

I wonder when they switch to "It is run by Joe" in the opening credits.

I notice in the episode guide that Jean Vander Pyl, who was the voice of Wilma Flintstone, appears in a few episodes. Too bad it wasn't while Bea Benaderet was there! That would have been cool, Wilma and Betty together.

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted May 20, 2012 @ 9:26 PM

The hair is getting better, but the wardrobe is pretty funny looking sometimes.

I just watched the one where Betty Jo buys a new couch (yeah, I DVR the show, but I will probably stop once Kate is gone). Betty Jo has on pants(?) made of quilted/padded fabric. They look huge! and they are rather stiff. Very odd looking. Steve made a comment about how she looks so much better than if she were in sweatpants and a sweatshirt! I would think sweatpants would show of her curves better than those puffy pants.

Billy Jo had on a skirt in a recent episode that was made from plaid fabric. They did a good job matching up the lines in the plaid, but the did it at an angle so the lines made a point at the front of her skirt - pointing to her crotch, actually.

Kate is usually dressed pretty nicely though. Gonna miss her. The show wasn't the same with Doc Craig.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Couch Potato

Posted May 21, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

Today's show had the first reference to Kate being "away."

The hair is getting better, but the wardrobe is pretty funny looking sometimes.

In the episode they aired today, Billie Jo wore a hideous plaid suit and sang "Girl from Ipanema," but with the gender of the lyrics changed so that it was "Boy from Ipanema," which really didn't work. The singing on this show is so cheesy!

Edited by bobbyhill, May 22, 2012 @ 3:28 PM.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

Last night I watched the episode with Kate's homecoming. It's so bizarre that everyone from Uncle Joe and the girls to Selma Plout, Sam Drucker, and the freakin' mayor of Hooterville want to organize an over-the-top celebration, but no one ever mentions where the heck Kate has been for so long. She looked good though.

Does anyone know the sequence of events in Bea Benederet's life at this point? I assume she was off for a period of time for surgery or other treatment, but that her cancer then spread. IMDb lists her as appearing in the first 3 episodes of Season 6 (Fall 1968), then voice only in episode 4 (when Betty Jo gives birth). Ms. Benederet passed away on Oct. 13, 1968. I can still remember reading about it in TV Guide.

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2012 @ 10:07 AM

She looked good though.

Agreed. Loved her red coat.

I didn't remember Betty Jo all of a sudden being very pregnant. Was Linda Henning pregnant in real life?