Petticoat Junction

• Please log in to reply

302 replies to this topic

Dana Girl

Dana Girl

Fanatic

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 9:58 PM

I loved when TVLand showed Petticoat Junction way back in the day. I'd loved BH and GA from their showings on TBS and Nick At Nite, and PJ completed the set! It was such a sweet show, but it had just enough bite to make it work.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:21 PM

Dana Girl, I SO wish TV Land would go back to its' roots and 100% classic shows. They still run the Andy Griffith show, thank God, but they have really lost their way with newer sitcoms, reality shows, movies, etc.Guess us old farts don't matter as much..
Would love to see PJ from the black and white days, I was born in 1960, and the show began in 1963,so I have memories of watching the later years first run,but the early years, not at all.
I can sing Floyd and Charley's song "Steam,Cinders, and Smoke" from memory. Just ask me.

Edited by prairiegirl, Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:22 PM.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 10:48 PM

I thought the singer was saying, "Here's a lady,indeed, she's as pretty as can be..."
I was about 40 before I realized this.

Holy moly prairiegirl, this is news to me. I always heard "indeed" not "MD".

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 10, 2010 @ 11:11 PM

ok, now I'm questioning, so I just listened to that opening on that unnamed website, and June comes out of her office at the Shady Rest, carrying her doctors' bag, and it does sound like "lady MD". See what you think, oceanblue.
Once again, WHY do I know/care about this?

Edited by prairiegirl, Jul 10, 2010 @ 11:18 PM.

Fontaine

Fontaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 7:39 PM

I think June just wanted to be known as something other than Lassie's mother.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 9:00 PM

Don't forget Maureen Robinson!
I'll give June credit, she was EVERYWHERE in the 1950's and 1960's. By the way, check out 1944's Meet Me In St Louis, she has a small role as Lucille Ballard, the "eastern" girl in the last part of the film. She very pretty and very young.

dustylil

dustylil

Stalker

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 9:11 PM

I'll give June credit, she was EVERYWHERE in the 1950's and 1960's. By the way, check out 1944's Meet Me In St Louis, she has a small role as Lucille Ballard, the "eastern" girl in the last part of the film. She very pretty and very young.

She was even in the Gary Cooper classic Sergeant York, three years earlier as Rosie, Alvin's young sister.

kavan30013

kavan30013

Fanatic

Posted Jul 11, 2010 @ 11:41 PM

June Lockhart played a recurring role on GH in the 80's as Felicia's cool grandmother who ran a hacienda in Mexico. I loved her from that and was delighted when I saw her earlier roles on Lost in Space and Petticoat Junction. She was really a solid actress capable of playing a lot of different stuff.

Was anyone else thrown when Steve went from Billie Jo to Betty Jo? I know MM and LH were dating in real life, but I thought he had more chemistry with MM.

Floridabound

Floridabound

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 6:12 AM

Holy way back machine, I thought this topic was about a new Petticoat Junction, a la the abominable new Hawaii Five-O!

I SO wish TV Land would go back to its' roots and 100% classic shows. They still run the Andy Griffith show, thank God, but they have really lost their way with newer sitcoms, reality shows, movies, etc.Guess us old farts don't matter as much..

So true, so true, so true prairiegirl. Cable stations only care about money and old b/w series don't sell. And no, we don't matter at all.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 12, 2010 @ 6:17 AM

I kind of liked that Steve decided Betty Jo was the one for him after she spent all that time with him under that plane....and it was nice that the tomboy won the guy for once!

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 9:20 AM

and it was nice that the tomboy won the guy for once!

Except that the "tomboy" had to then transform herself into a conventional "frilly girl." Blergh.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 19, 2010 @ 4:05 PM

inquistionist, you're right, Betty Jo cut her hair and started wearing dresses when Steve showed some interest.No more baseball!

Fontaine

Fontaine

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 8:39 PM

I'm a little fuzzy on the history of Petticoat Junction (although I know the theme song by heart!). How many girls played the daughters? Why were they replaced? Was any explanation given? Did they all have the same father? What happened to him?

On a totally unrelated note, as much as I love Bea Benadaret, she and Gale Gordon would have been awful as the Mertzes.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 10:09 PM

Fontaine,Betty Jo was always played by Linda Kaye Henning, daughter of Paul Henning, the creator of PJ, Bev Hillbillies and Green Acres.
Billie Jo was played by 3 actresses:Jeanine Riley, then Guinilla Hutton, and lastly Meredith MacRae. Bobbie Jo by two actresses:Pat Woodell and Lori Saunders. I don't recall any explanation for the changes.Since I was almost 3 in 1963 when the show premiered, someone else might be able to give any background on the switches.And I'm not sure if the absence of Mr Bradley was ever addressed.
Of course, this is also the same show that lost the beloved Bea Benadaret and never acknowleged it.If it were today, we would have gotten A Very Special Farewell To Kate Episode. I have often wondered what the actors thought about just going forward and never addressing Kate's loss.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 8:50 AM

She was even in the Gary Cooper classic Sergeant York, three years earlier as Rosie, Alvin's young sister.

And before that, she played her very first role in the Reginald Owen/Leo G. Carroll version of A Christmas Carol. Her father, Gene Lockhart, played Bob Cratchet, and June was one of the Cratchet children.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 6:34 PM

Meredith McRae & Lori Saunders were my favorite actresses for the Billie Jo/Bobbie Jo characters; especially Meredith since she also played Sally, Mike Douglas' girlfriend in the early B&W eps of "My Three Sons."

JoeSpacely

JoeSpacely

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 24, 2010 @ 7:31 PM

Heh-heh. Mike Douglas.

candynecklace

candynecklace

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 4:21 PM

Heh-heh. Mike Douglas.

Wow-I didn't think of THAT Mike Douglas when I sent that. I can't remember the actor's name, just his character's name.

I suppose I could look it up......

On topic-wasn't Gunilla Hutton the girl who did the sexy shaving cream TV ads at about the same time PJ was on?
"Take it off, take it all off!" while "The Stripper" music plays in the background. Ah, the good old days of fun commercials. Now they're all for prescription medication and insurance. Blah.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 25, 2010 @ 7:20 PM

candynecklace, Mike Douglas on My Three Sons was played by Mike Considine, forever in my heart as "Spin" from Spin And Marty on the Mickey Mouse club.
Gunilla Hutton was that girl on the Noxema ads, and also went on to be on HeeHaw, known to my father as "The Best Show On TV".

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2010 @ 8:51 AM

Mike Considine, forever in my heart as "Spin" from Spin And Marty on the Mickey Mouse club.

Me, too, although my crush was on Marty (David Stollery).

I remember reading a TV Guide profile of Lori Saunders around 1970 and being surprised to learn she was actually a few years older than "older sister" Meredith MacRae.

prairiegirl

prairiegirl

Stalker

Posted Jul 26, 2010 @ 5:18 PM

Inquisitionist, yeah,"Marty" wasn't bad, either.
And I am an idiot, it's TIM Considine, not Mike. Sorry, Spin honey. Those Disney boys rocked my world for a while.

robmic

robmic

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 17, 2010 @ 2:45 PM

I am looking for an episode. I don't know the name of it. It is the one where Betty Jo steals Steve's plane and flies it by herself. When she lands, Kate tells her that she doesn't know whether to give her a hug or take her to the woodshed. Anyone remember that episode? What was the plot, and why did Betty Jo's steal the plane? Where can I find this episode?

robmic

robmic

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 22, 2011 @ 5:10 PM

Which Bradley girl do you think got in the most trouble growing up? I would say Betty Jo. I think Billie Jo and Bobbie Jo would have gotten in some trouble too, but I think Betty Jo created the most mischief. Billie Jo even as a small child would have stayed in her a lot and tried on clothes and messed with her hair and primped. Bobbie Jo was a reader and would have been in her room reading. Thus, these two would have stayed out of trouble most of the time. On the other hand, Betty Jo had none of those quiet interests and was probably the most rambunctious. I think Betty Jo was probably the sweetest little girl and very well-mannered, but I think her energy level and interests would have gotten her in trouble. She would have kept herself occupied in a different way than her sisters. No telling how many windows she busted playing baseball. She would have been into everything. I can see her thinking that the Shady Rest needed to be a different color and getting a can of paint and painting the side purple or something. I can definitely see her getting her clothes dirty right after Kate warned her not to. I can see her throwing spit wads at school. I can see her sneaking off and exploring and worrying Kate. The list goes on and on. In fact, some of things Betty Jo did when she was older in some of the episodes gives an idea of how she would have been as a little girl. For instance, she went up solo in Steve's plane and scared Kate half to death. No way Billie Jo or Bobbie Jo would have done something like that.

Another question, how do you think Kate would have disciplined the girls when they were young? Was she the kind who would have just talked and lectured, or did she believe in a trip to the woodshed on occasion? What do you think the writers wrote Kate Bradley to be? Based on the show, I think Kate Bradley was a very understanding, patient, and gentle mother when her girls were small. If something could be solved by simply sitting down and having a long talk, I think Kate would have preferred that. I think she would have let her daughters develop the way they were going to and would have let them pursue their interests. I think Kate would have understood Betty Jo's adventuresome spirit and therefore propensity to get in trouble. Thus, I think Kate would have tried to channel Betty Jo's energy into constructive activities to keep her out of trouble. Thus, she may have asked Charley and Floyd if they didn't mind taking Betty Jo along and teaching her about the Cannonball, etc. Still, with all Kate's progressive qualities, I think she was also written to be an old school mother too. I think she would have marched her girls to the woodshed if she felt they really needed it for their long term good. Outright disobedience and certainly disrespect would have probably gotten them a whipping, or doing something dangerous such as playing with matches, etc.

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2011 @ 6:34 PM

Back in 1963, when I was 10, I had a crush on Bobbi Jo (Pat Woodell). I was so disappointed when she left.

I just bought the first season DVD, and Pat Woodell, and Linda Kaye Henning do mintros and do an interview. Linda looks GREAT, but EEWWWW, I would NEVER have recognized Pat Woodell! She is also VERY full of herself, and was a total turnoff. She even claimed YEARS AFTER sge left "Petticoat Junction", the National Guard had to protect her when she made appearances around the country. She was obviously lying, and I could tell Linda had a hard time keeping a straight face.

oceanblue

oceanblue

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 12:45 PM

That's funny, and kinda sad. I didn't remember she left. Do you know why? I don't remember ever seeing her in anything else.

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2011 @ 6:27 PM

She claimed she had a GREAT singing career. She said that after each hiatus, Paul Henning would worry that she would leave the show to pursue a singing career, and she finally did it. She left after the second season, so there weren't many hiatuses for Paul to worry! I ran a couple of very low budget films at a drive in theatre in the 70s featuring Pat Woodell that certainly did little to uphold her wholesome and studious image she had on PJ. If I remember correctly, I saw what the water tower covered at the beginning of "Petticoat Junction"!

Lori Saunders took her place, became Bobbi Jo and my youthful crush went to Linda Kaye Henning after that! None of the blondes; Jeannine Riley, Gunilla Hutton nor Meredith MacRae ever appealed to me.

Suby

Suby

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:39 AM

When June Lockhart began on the show, and the opening theme changed to "Here's a lady MD, she's as pretty as can be, at the Junction", I thought the singer was saying, "Here's a lady,indeed, she's as pretty as can be..."
I was about 40 before I realized this.

Holy moly prairiegirl, this is news to me. I always heard "indeed" not "MD".

Well thanks for that prairiegirl, I too thought it was "indeed". I haven't seen this show in a long, long time. I have never seen the reruns on TVLand and I too wish they would play it. I probably watched starting in '67 or so when I was 5 or 6. We lived in the country and loved the setting of this show. I remember we used to say that Mr. Drucker looked like our Uncle Steve, and wondering if the ladies were taking a bath or swimming in that water tower, lol.

Check out this pic of the casts from Petticoat Junction, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Green Acres:cast Who's the Roman soldier? I just realized - Is it Jethro?

Edited by Suby, Mar 15, 2011 @ 10:50 AM.

BX60

BX60

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 3:26 PM

It definitely looks like the Roman Soldier is Max Baer aka Jethro. This picture must have been taken in late 1969, because Bea Benaderet was already gone and June Lockhart was there. That would have been PJ's last season. Frank Cady aka Sam Drucker is still alive. He'll be 96 this year. He also played Ozzie and Harriet's doctor.

Eddie Albert, Irene Ryan, Buddy Ebsen, Eva Gabor, and Edgar Buchanan seated in front are all dead now. Meredith MacRae, and Raymond Bailey on the second row are dead, and Nancy Kulp in the back row is no longer with us.

More than half are gone now.

texastornado

texastornado

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 3:37 PM

Great pic! The soldier definitely looks like Jethro.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2011 @ 5:55 PM

Given that the rest of the Clampetts are in the photo, yeah, I'd say that's "Jethro" in Roman garb. Why he's in that get-up, only Jupiter knows...

Edited by Inquisitionist, Mar 15, 2011 @ 5:56 PM.