What's a Pegasix? Questions About The Shows

• Please log in to reply

870 replies to this topic

WildeChild

WildeChild

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 9:44 PM

I don't know if this should be a thread or maybe another FAQ, but I thought I'd toss it out during the hiatus:

A recently converted BSG pal of mine was reading the forum threads and got confused by all the nicknames so an explanation post seemed like it might be a good idea. Just something to help people understand the show or the forums. There is no intention to convey any preferred or "correct" nickname. If it isn't listed, add it.

Pegasix? Lucylon? RoCaine? Don't have a clue what we are talking about?

General Info
  • TOS - The Original Series
  • TNS - The New Series
  • suffix LON - (Humlon) denotes something of cylon origin
  • RTFF - Rag Tag Fugitive Fleet, from TOS
  • Toasters - The metal cylons
  • Humlons - The human looking cylons
How to keep cylon copies straight:
  • prefix CAP - (CapBoomer) denotes a copy/character originally introduced on the planet Caprica
  • prefix GAL - (GalBoomer) denotes a copy/character originally introduced on the Galactica
  • prefix PEGA - (PegaSix) denotes a copy/character originally introduced on the Pegasus
Other common nicknames
  • Gaydar - Lt. Gaeta
  • Blanders - Anders
  • Lucylon/Xylon/Zenalon - Reporter D'anna Biers (Cylon)
  • Doc Snarky - Doc Cottle
  • TighOneOn - XO Tigh
  • Starpollo - a romantic relationship between Starbuck and Apollo
  • BlandBuck - a romantic relationship between Anders and Starbuck
  • RoCain/Ho - Admiral Cain
  • Leisure Suit Larry - Doral (Cylon)
Things we don't know for sure
  • How cylons communicate
  • How the cylons evolved
  • What happened in the first war
  • Why exactly the cylons rebelled
The best place for backstory is the recaps, but if you can't find the answer ask away.

Edited by WildeChild, Sep 27, 2005 @ 4:04 PM.

Krilia

Krilia

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 10:23 PM

More Nicknames:
Admiral Ro also = Admiral Cain
Lady McTigh = Tigh's wife, Ellen

(And then I resisted the urge to include a nickname I came up with, which is not really in common usage. *smacks wrist*)

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 10:40 PM

Worth it. Pinned.

Tweeky

Tweeky

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 11:24 PM

Humlons - The human looking cylons

Biocylon- Another term for a human form cylon and one that I think is better than Humlon(I personally think this term is clumsy), if you check on other BSG boards such as the SCIFI BB this is the term used.

Edited by Tweeky, Sep 26, 2005 @ 11:25 PM.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2005 @ 11:38 PM

Except that the meatwings (the Cylon Raiders, which have organic, sluglike beings as pilots, apparently engineered by the more intelligent Cylons) are partially biological, as well. The meat part apparently is as smart as a well-trained attack dog, but not truly intelligent - one reason why a human pilot in a Viper can effectively counter several meatwings.

ChipDK

ChipDK

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 1:07 AM

How about 'TPTB'?

WildeChild

WildeChild

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 1:20 AM

Check out the General TWOP FAQ for general posting abbreviations. They list all the common ones like TPTB ("the powers that be").

Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 7:22 AM

prefix GAL - (GalBoomer) denotes a copy/character originally introduced on the Galactica

Or, to be technical, also characters introduced on Caprica during the miniseries but on the Galactica as of episode 1, season 1.

I always liked "poor man's Kevin Spacey." Is that term out of style?

Original Cyn

Original Cyn

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 8:54 AM

President Botox - Laura Roslin, since she apparently had a tune-up between the miniseries and Season one

High Priestesss of Vague Mysticism (HPVM) - the now late Elyosha, who was incremental in the interpretation of Roslin's visions.

WildeChild

WildeChild

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 12:10 PM

I always liked "poor man's Kevin Spacey." Is that term out of style?

Not at all, there are a ton of nicknames that haven't been listed yet. My tiny mind only came up with a few in the first post.

aliana

aliana

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 1:42 PM

Stands with Mammogram = another nickname for President Roslin
D'Apollo = one of many possible names for a romantic relationship between Dualla (Dee) and Apollo

not to mention BillyDee

the now late Elyosha, who was incremental in the interpretation of Roslin's visions

BillyDeeLeeHee.

Edited by aliana, Sep 27, 2005 @ 5:16 PM.

bluedevilblue

bluedevilblue

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 3:16 PM

The Botox stuff always interests me because I think EJO has de-aged much more than McDonnell and its never mentioned except in passing, but this isn't the gender thread so on to the topic at hand...

RDM = Ronald D. Moore, the developer of the new series. I know this is an easy one, but I'm always confused by all the people's initials that get thrown around, especially backstage folks who I naively never paid any attention to before TWoP.

The Whiteboard of Extinction = the whiteboard Roslin used throughout S1 to keep track of the number of remaining humans, which seemed to be ever decreasing.

In addition to President Stands with Mammogram, mentioned above, there's any number of twists on President Stands with _____ for Roslin, including President Stands with Eraser (see Whiteboard, above), all are based on Mary McDonnell's Dances With Wolves' character. Basically if some says Stands with X, they mean Roslin.

The Glare = Commander Adama's patented, er, glare.

Cylontology = the Cylon religious beliefs (I wish I knew who to give credit to for this one because it's hilarious).

ChipSix = I seem to recall seeing this early on for the Six in Baltar's head, although
I don't think it's used as much anymore.

Edited by bluedevilblue, Sep 27, 2005 @ 3:22 PM.

Gonigal

Gonigal

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 5:41 PM

Cylontology = the Cylon religious beliefs (I wish I knew who to give credit to for this one because it's hilarious).

Well, I just came up with the term "The Church Of Cylontology" a day or so ago to describe the religious dogma Six is always whispering into Baltar's ear, but that probably doesn't mean much; in my first post to the "Pegasus" episode thread (after reading the three pages or so of comments that had been posted so far) I came up with both "Admiral Ro" and PegaSix", only to find that by the time I finished writing, spellchecked, & posted it, both terms had already cropped up in several different posts that were made in the interim. Sometimes the gag is so obvious it's pointless for any one person to try to take credit for it.

Another example:

Countdown To Extinction: a corollary to the Whiteboard of Extinction (which was seen extensively last season but has only made one brief appearance in the background so far this season), this is the ever-changing number of survivors listed in the show's opening credits each week (starting in the 2nd season). (I also came up with this one, and to be honest I don't think I've seen anyone but myself use it on TWoP, but I've also seen it used on several other BSG websites and I doubt they all got it from me).

A bit of further clarification on the Boomers:

The Boomer who was a crewmember on the Galactica all throughout the miniseries & first season who honestly didn't know she was a cylon was referred to as GalBoomer and later CorpseBoomer or DeadBoomer (sorry if I spoiled anything there).

The fully self-aware Boomer who showed up on Carprica to try to make Babies with Helo (who was also stranded there) was referred to as CapBoomer and later sometimes PregoBoomer or PregBoomer.

Potential confusion arises from the fact that at this point the Galactica Boomer is dead and the Carprica Boomer is now on Galactica. Fortunately since there's now only one of them and thus no need to distinguish between them we can usually just say "Boomer". Although sometimes when comparing the differences between the two of them or something, we still have to dig up the old "DeadBoomer" & "PregoBoomer" handles.

Another possible source of confusion that's actually the show's fault is the ever increasing choice of names & Callsigns they give us for some characters (particularly a slew of secondary characters who were all suddenly given full names in the recent episode "The Final Cut" which many here immediately started using). This can be particularly confusing on the show itself, where the President is much more likely to refer to "Lt. Valeri" than "Sharron" or "Boomer" (although "that thing" is still the most likely bet).

Some examples (quotes are pilots callsigns):

"Apollo" = Lee = Captain Adama (*not* the big scary looking dude in charge, but his son)

"Starbuck" = Kira = Lt. Thrace

"Boomer" = Sharron = Lt. Valeri = "it"

"Helo" = Carl Agarthon

Gaeta = Felix

Dualla = Anastesia =Dee

PegaSix = Gina (never mentioned on the show so far but often used here, "Gina" is the name of the Pegasus' model Six Cylon according to Moore's Podcast)

The "Six" that only Baltar sees used to claim to be the manifestation of a cylon Chip in his brain and was often called ChipSix, recently the issue has become cloudier and she seems to have sprouted several new nicknames reflecting this uncertainty.

Roslin = Laura = Prez

And finally, Commander Adama's first name is Bill, but the only one either here or on the show itself who's had the guts to actually call him that is Ellen Tigh.

Maxy

Maxy

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 6:07 PM

And finally, Commander Adama's first name is Bill, but the only one either here or on the show itself who's had the guts to actually call him that is Ellen Tigh.

Dude - you are so right. I never noticed that.

Harrison Fjord

Harrison Fjord

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 6:13 PM

To be accurate, Commander Adama's first name is William, which compounds Ellen's folly by not only calling him by his first name, but by a derivative of it (though to be accurate and fair to her, I believe he uses "Bill" himself, at least when he introduced himself to Tigh in the season opener flashback).

His call-sign when he was a Viper pilot was "Husker".

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 6:19 PM

"Starbuck" = Kira = Lt. Thrace
"Helo" = Carl Agarthon

Just a little correction. Starbuck's first name is Kara and Helo's name is Karl Agathon.

Sheap

Sheap

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 7:15 PM

Admiral RoCaine has also referred to Cmdr. Adama as "Bill." Lower-ranking officers are not supposed to refer to their superiors by first names unless the higher-ranking officer has given them permission to do so, but higher-ranking officers may refer to lower-ranking officers by first name. Since only the Admiral outranks Adama, up until now, only civilians in informal situations should have used his first name - which is pretty much just Ellen Tigh. I believe the President may have called him "Bill" from time to time as well, which would also be correct protocol. None of the other officers should ever do so under penalty of glaring.

bluedevilblue

bluedevilblue

Stalker

Posted Sep 27, 2005 @ 8:32 PM

Roslin used Bill in Home Pt. 2 when she thanked him for forgiving her (and then pointed out she didn't ask for his forgiveness). It was the first time either of them ever used the other's first name (he called her Laura). A nice symbol for the change in their relationship. Col. Tigh has also referred to him as Bill.

The Laura (as opposed to Laura) = the stealth ship, which is also known as the Blackbird.

A Heavy Raider is a version of a raider that can carry people and cargo.

"dualla", the verb - to communicate something through someone else, usually Dualla. For example, Adama duallas to Apollo, meaning that Adama tells Dualla who tells Apollo. You get the idea.

greenlady

greenlady

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2005 @ 3:52 AM

Please excuse my lack of coolness, but I really want to know: what does "Gitmo" mean?

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Sep 29, 2005 @ 7:54 AM

Slang for Guantanamo Bay, the U.S. naval base in Cuba, which is currently the main location for people arrested after 9/11 (especially if they weren't really charged with anything.) Ever see 'A Few Good Men?'

Rockstar99435

Rockstar99435

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2005 @ 1:38 PM

From the recap:

"I'll note that Cain was planning on going to Tauron. Sounds about right, no offense."

What do we know about the colonies? I know one of them (I think Pisces) is full of religious nuts. Is Tauron full of crazy people?

Greystreak98

Greystreak98

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 29, 2005 @ 1:40 PM

Geminon has the devout believers who believe in the literal truth of the prophecies.

SuzyP

SuzyP

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 30, 2005 @ 10:58 AM

I assumed the no offense to Tauron, was because it was Taurus the bull. Sort of like a bull in a china shop metaphor. But maybe I'm wrong and there is a deeper meaning.

Gella

Gella

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 30, 2005 @ 2:59 PM

Or because Taureans (as in astrological sign) are stubborn bull-headed "my way or the highway" sort of people. At least others claim we are :)
But aside from that and the fact that Tauron was one of the colonies that got nuked pretty early in the mini, we haven't been told anything about it. So far more attention has been paid to Caprica (the central colony), Sagittaron (the oppressed one) and Geminon (the religious nuts).

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Oct 1, 2005 @ 9:44 PM

Or because Taureans (as in astrological sign) are stubborn bull-headed "my way or the highway" sort of people. At least others claim we are :)

For the record, I was apologizing to all the Tauruses I know and love with the "no offense," but ... yeah, that was the joke.

Having said that, I love that we're talking about the differences between the Colonies.

I'm watching the mini as I'm typing, and I found it really interesting that the original nuclear attacks are listed Caprica, Picon, Aerolon, and Tauron specifically -- and they're all in a row, astrologically.

Do you think that indicates proximity? Or maybe that they're the biggest targets because they're the oldest, or something of that nature?

Sinal

Sinal

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 1, 2005 @ 10:46 PM

Hrm. We know that Caprica is the capitol, and that the fleet headquarters is on (or in orbit of) Picon, so I suppose that just makes strategic sense. That said, we also know that there was a shipyard orbiting Scorpion, but there's no mention of it.

Deep down inside, I suspect it was just a device to introduce the casual viewer to the fact that "Oh my God, they're zodiac signs." However that explanation sucks, and it will never be mentioned again.

Personally, I'm just going to assume that they were all hit, and that reports had only come in from those specific colonies.

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

Posted Oct 1, 2005 @ 11:08 PM

Deep down inside, I suspect it was just a device to introduce the casual viewer to the fact that "Oh my God, they're zodiac signs."

Except I didn't pick up on that until freakin' "Colonial Day," when I saw all their names on the stage.

Gella

Gella

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2005 @ 1:32 PM

I'm watching the mini as I'm typing, and I found it really interesting that the original nuclear attacks are listed Caprica, Picon, Aerolon, and Tauron specifically -- and they're all in a row, astrologically.

Do you think that indicates proximity? Or maybe that they're the biggest targets because they're the oldest, or something of that nature?

Well, as an Astrology junkie I can say that they are not in order, because whatever Colonial name for Aquarius is missing (I am presuming Aerolon is for Aries).

So, we know that Caprica was the capital, we know that fleet headquarters were from Picon, Sharon was from Troy which was a mining outpost in Aerolon colony, so perhaps Aerolon was the colony with the most natural resources. Don't know the deal with Tauron, but I wish we got to know more about the colonies.

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Oct 2, 2005 @ 2:07 PM

Aquarius, right. Still...

Sinal

Sinal

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 2, 2005 @ 3:05 PM

Tauron's a vacation hot spot for plucky young admirals who have a predilection for executing subordinates...