Party of One: Unpopular Opinions About TV

• Please log in to reply

28218 replies to this topic

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

Regarding the Celebrity Apprentice, I can agree that Lisa is just the most vile creature on this season, but I find Clay Aiken to be much more irritating than Aubrey. I can't stand him and his brand of smarm.

spiderweb55

spiderweb55

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:07 AM

Mad Men:

Vincent Kartheiser has never impressed me. At all.

Season 5 has been a crashing bore, and I'm going to be irritated if the Emmys lazily give Mad Men yet another Best Drama Emmy.

Once Upon A Time:

Lana Parrilla does absolutely nothing for me. I find her one note at best, and I really hope the Emmys don't waste a nomination on her (though I doubt this show gets anywhere near the Emmys).

Community:

I'm so tired of the whole "people who don't like it just aren't smart enough to get it" schtick. The show is just not funny. Oh my god, they're taking on sitcom tropes! How daring and intelligent! Meh. I also find every last person in the cast grating and unbearable.

This, so much. I find it marginally funny on occasion, but it's definitely not the "ZOMG BEST SITCOM EVAR!" that critics make it out to be. And Joel McHale absolutely grates on my nerves on all of his shows.

bosawks

bosawks

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

I want both Chris (The Voice) and Phil (AI) to win their respective singing competitions. I just think it would be amusing to watch the fall out but, then again, I don’t have a horse in this race. What the hell type of record would they be pigeon-holed into………..

lacey81

lacey81

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:53 PM

Mad Men:
Season 5 has been a crashing bore, and I'm going to be irritated if the Emmys lazily give Mad Men yet another Best Drama Emmy.

God yes. I can barely make it through these episodes.

My unpopular opinion? I'd take twenty times of Betty over Megan any day.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Yes, yes! Spiderweb55, come sit with me! I've been desperately trying to get invested in this season of Mad Men, to no avail. I keep waiting for something interesting to happen to reward my interest, but...nothing. It doesn't help matters that it airs the same night as Game of Thrones, where you're pretty much guaranteed that in any given episode, some awesome, crazy shit is going to go down. (I practically needed a cigarette after the last Game of Thrones episode, it was so intense.)

I'm so tired of the whole "people who don't like it just aren't smart enough to get it" schtick. The show is just not funny. Oh my god, they're taking on sitcom tropes! How daring and intelligent! Meh. I also find every last person in the cast grating and unbearable.

I completely agree with this as well. I was hoping it would get cancelled, as much as there are some talented people working on the show (acting-wise, at least).

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

Preach it! I was willing to give that show a chance but after hearing it incesantly plugged again and again and again (and it STILL is!) on The Soup, there is no way in hell I am going to watch it now.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:25 PM

I want to support Melissa McCarthy, and as someone who's a huge Gilmore Girls fan and a believer in overweight actresses having more opportunities in Hollywood, I feel like I should support her, but...I just don't find her especially funny or talented. Even on Gilmore Girls, I thought she was fine but not among the series' standouts. On Mike and Molly, I found her somewhere between mediocre and terrible. (Then again, to be fair, I found that whole show somewhere between mediocre and terrible, which seems to be a bit of a UO as well!) I feel almost guilty about not thinking Melissa McCarthy is all that special or even all that good, but I just don't.

Wiendish Fitch

Wiendish Fitch

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 4:07 PM

I find John Slattery to be a damn fine actor, but I do not find him attractive. At all. That's just me, I guess.

SheenieB

SheenieB

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

I really can't stand Santana on Glee. I never found her nasty ass putdowns and speeches funny. She was working my nerves last night. I could understand if Rachel tried to get prom cancelled and wanted everyone to go to her anti-prom, but that wasn't the case at at all. It was optional. Therefore, Santana reading her in front of everyone was uncalled for. For once I wish this show was on HBO so someone could tell her to shut the fuck up and have a seat. Lauren Zizes will forever be my hero for making that bitch eat locker seasons ago.

She can also take Brittany with her.

Mad Men UPO I like Megan, and I don't get the hate. I really don't think she has some nefarious plan to bring down Don. I doubt the marriage lasts, but I hope she remains on the show even if everything crumbles. I've always been interested in the Betty character, but I can't say I miss her constant bitchface and perpetual unhappiness. I know that being married to Don was no picnic, but Henry really seems to be attentive and loves her, and yet, she's still being a bitch. There's no winning with her.

Edited by SheenieB, May 9, 2012 @ 12:14 PM.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

My UO: I really, really want Scratchy to win some. I want him to eviscerate Itchy slowly and with red-hot tongs. I want him to poke the little rat's eyes out with chopsticks. In short, I have had it with the one-sidedness of their fights for the past 20-odd years and want some balance. Now.

Edited by CoderLady, May 9, 2012 @ 8:05 PM.

Scorpiosrule

Scorpiosrule

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 4:21 PM

Here goes:

I miss Elliot Stabler from L&O:SVU. He was a better father, husband and cop, than Dan Pino's Nick Amaro, who is just a Stabler wannabe.

And I can't believe this show's been renewed. I would have much preferred it had been cancelled and the mothership saved, instead.

And changing showrunners didn't improve the show. They got the guy who used to run Criminal Intent, and he's basically turned SVU into Law & Order: Criminal Intent-Lite, just like the new showrunners of General Hospital is turning it into One Life to Live-Lite, by bringing over characters I don't know and don't give a shit about. When he should be concentrating on writing for the General Hospital characters that are already on canvas.

There. I said it.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I want to support Melissa McCarthy, and as someone who's a huge Gilmore Girls fan and a believer in overweight actresses having more opportunities in Hollywood, I feel like I should support her, but...I just don't find her especially funny or talented. Even on Gilmore Girls, I thought she was fine but not among the series' standouts. On Mike and Molly, I found her somewhere between mediocre and terrible. (Then again, to be fair, I found that whole show somewhere between mediocre and terrible, which seems to be a bit of a UO as well!) I feel almost guilty about not thinking Melissa McCarthy is all that special or even all that good, but I just don't.

I'm with you on all of this. I want to love Melissa McCarthy but Mike & Molly is so boring and a waste of what talents she may have.

Dregel00X

Dregel00X

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:18 PM

I have three;
1. I want more old people on TV. I mean truly old. Like Bert Cooper on Mad Men. I want to see a huge romantic relationship between an elderly couple that sweeps me off my feet. There are wonderful actors/actresses out there that is left on the shelf just because of their age. Sad, because they know what they are doing and they can be really beautiful to watch.

2. I want more ugly unangelic girls/women that arenīt written off as a lame joke. Why canīt the geeky pimplish girl get the footballplayer for once? And if the girls/women are not physically perfect, they have to be perfect in every other way (example is Ugly Betty)and that just annoys me. I want women that feel human and is a great watch.

3. I donīt get Gale Harold. At all. I donīt find him attractive. I find him wooden and flat. I just donīt get the whole deal. I do wish him well but he is so overappreciated. I heard only good things about him from QAF and so on but why that is is a huge enigma for me.

Ambrosefolly1

Ambrosefolly1

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

2. I want more ugly unangelic girls/women that aren´t written off as a lame joke. Why can´t the geeky pimplish girl get the footballplayer for once? And if the girls/women are not physically perfect, they have to be perfect in every other way (example is Ugly Betty)and that just annoys me. I want women that feel human and is a great watch.

Because that doesn't reflect real life? The alpha football player in the real world will go for the prettiest cheerleader if she isn't a completely horrible person. It is true what what the Cougar Town says, the guy that has the hottest girl (or in that show's case, wife) is usually the one that is considered the winner among other men.And the geeky, pimplish girl did get the football player in Glee (and I'm not considering Rachel Berry, since she does have a great body). Sorry, but unfortunely that is the way that the world works. Men for looks and women go for jerks, hence the slavish worship of psychopathic jerks (and literal monsters) on television shows. What does it say about society when on the Vampire Diaries the good guy Matt (who is the handsome football player) is dumped in favor of killer vampires and werewolve/hybrids?

However the above scenrio is more likely to happen if the girl is at least thin and has a joie de vivre than say, the geeky loser that literally worships the prettiest girl in school and ultimately wins her because of his love for her, which is a constant story line.

1. I want more old people on TV. I mean truly old. Like Bert Cooper on Mad Men. I want to see a huge romantic relationship between an elderly couple that sweeps me off my feet. There are wonderful actors/actresses out there that is left on the shelf just because of their age. Sad, because they know what they are doing and they can be really beautiful to watch.

Me too. What can I say I miss the Golden Girls. The one thing I liked about Cold Case is that we often saw old people like Diane Ladd. I blame the worship of youth on the terrible plastic surgery and insane diets older actresses will put themselves through. I would love a story between old people more often. I think Hollywood over values how fascination with youth.

Which leads to, I liked Billy Crystal hosting the Academy Awards. I thought he did a good job on such short notice. Fact of the matter, there is no way to make the awards ceremony much more interesting. Then again, I've always been more interested in the acceptance speeches of the sound editors, costume designers, short films, animated shorts and cimetographers than the actors and actresses since they always get there moment in the spotlight and am glad they just keep the same presenter announcing multiple winners individually than herding a bunch of winners of the "lesser awards" at the same time like they did a few years ago.

Edited by Ambrosefolly1, May 12, 2012 @ 11:20 AM.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

And if the girls/women are not physically perfect, they have to be perfect in every other way (example is Ugly Betty)and that just annoys me.

Oh, yeah. This drives me crazy too. To piggyback on your post (and Ambrosefolly1), could we also see a more realistic scenario with the "unattractive" girl? I absolutely hate it when a show sets up a character as an unattractive social outcast who somehow also has the power to make very attractive men fall helplessly at her feet. You can't have it both ways show! Betty looks like a walking cartoon but Henry, Gio, Matt and (let's face it) Daniel all fall in love with her? I'm calling bullsh**.

On the flip side, I've bloody well had enough with the pretty popular girl = evil bitch cliche. You know what? Those girls are actually be nice people most of the time. No, not virginal Disney princesses. Nice, real people.

MaggieElizabeth

MaggieElizabeth

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:23 PM

The word "popular" means "liked," after all. In the TV universe it nearly always means "feared" -- but even though I was (and remain) a bookish introvert, I can remember from my high school days plenty of girls, and boys for that matter, who were popular because they deserved to be. They were extroverted, energetic, smart, and funny, and they treated those around them with kindness, warmth, and respect; understandably, others were drawn to them.

These kinds of popular people exist in real life; I agree with cacophony that it's time they existed on TV.

tuco6

tuco6

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

They used to, back in the 80s/early 90s. The kids in Saved By the Bell, Family Matters, Boy Meets World (in the later series) were all popular and genuinely nice. Protagonists really did have it all: looks, popularity, kindness, money, and generally intelligence. Then, society shifted toward underdogs and protagonists became pretty, nice, and unpopular.

Ambrosefolly1

Ambrosefolly1

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:07 PM

A bit off topic, but on Family Matters, it made perfect sense to me that Laura Winslow was popular and I knew alot more Laura Winslow type people than Quinns and Satannas in high school. One of my favorite scenes was when the mean girl class president was visibly shaking in her high heels when Laura told her about her attention to run mean girl knew that Laura was well liked enough that could win.

Dregel00X

Dregel00X

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

Because that doesn't reflect real life?

To piggyback on your post (and Ambrosefolly1), could we also see a more realistic scenario with the "unattractive" girl?

You are absolutely right. I didnīt think when I wrote this that I was asking for the very same thing I hated, but I was thinking about, that for guys it happen all the time. Guys always, no matter how incredibly big losers they are, get to be winners (By gaining the pretty girl). And the unpopular girl that fancies them is something they manages to flee from, by gaining the said pretty girl. That is of course a guy dream that doesnīt reflect real life either, but constantly seem to happen anyway in shows/films. At least the ones I grew up with.
As far as more comical clinché aspects goes, it would be nice to see the opposite. Like it would also be great to see girls spy on naked boys in the shower. It was that I meant with ugly girl/footballplayer comment, but having read your posts, maybe it wasnīt what I wanted at all. What I wanted was girls that arenīt perfect in any way, but without losing their humanity. Being human is not about being nice. It is about having weaknesses and issues. To be awful sometimes. And I DO miss the boycrazy girls. I for once, could never think about anything else:-)

Edited by Dregel00X, May 12, 2012 @ 4:39 PM.

Maddingcrowd

Maddingcrowd

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:52 AM

My UO is that I think Whoopi Goldberg is the best of the View ladies. She doesn't take herself or the show too seriously and she has a sense of humor that is genuine and not forced. I also don't care if she dresses for comfort. Who cares? Maybe once she hit her 50's she could no longer tolerant wearing pinching high heels. Watching both Joy and Barbara tottering around on heels that they clearly would never wear if they weren't vain doesn't make me like them more.

I also don't also agree with everything Whoopi says, but I feel she is genuine when she speaks, unlike Sherri, Elizabeth, Barbara and Joy. I used to like Joy but now she tries so hard to be edgy and funny that she usually isn't, Barbara is all about herself, Elizabeth is shrill and all about herself and Sherri is usually trashy.

Muddy

Muddy

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:29 AM

I really enjoyed the first season of 'Sherlock' and was looking forward to the long awaited second.

I've now seen the first 2 episodes. UO=ugh! The plots are paperthin and ridiculous, the cliff hanger resolution from last season was pointless and this incarnation of Holmes is loathsome, the writers are trying so hard to make him 'edgy'. They've turned John into no better a caricature than Nigel Bruce played. ie old bumbling Watson. I don't know whether to be dissappointed or annoyed, or both!

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

I am so happy Karen gets to play Marilyn on "Smash." I have very little sympathy for Ivy. Committing suicide because she didn't get a part? Puhleese.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

This has been mentioned pages ago. But Mary Sue is just a completely trite meaningless term at this point. It has just become a way to disparage a character. I wish it could disappear from the lexicon.

My UO is that I think Whoopi Goldberg is the best of the View ladies. She doesn't take herself or the show too seriously and she has a sense of humor that is genuine and not forced

I never liked Whoopi but I agree with this. I rarely see the View. But when I do she is the only one who seems relaxed and just saying what is on her mind. I don't agree with her often. Like with the Roman Polanski stuff. But I find her likable usually.

Edited by Cherith, May 15, 2012 @ 12:10 AM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 10:38 AM

Imo, "it isn't realistic" is the single most bogus excuse for excluding anything from the television universe. TV is not a mirror of society. The TV Lessons I've Learned thread is chuck-full of examples of how unrealistic universally-used TV tropes frequently are. I'm particularly thinking of "we can't have even one couple where the woman is not traditionally attractive and the guy is gorgeous because it isn't realistic" argument, but every time that excuse is used to justify TV depictions, or their complete absence, of anything, it makes my blood boil.

callie lee 29

callie lee 29

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:51 PM

You want an UO, cause hold onto your seats. Elizabeth Hasselbeck doesn't bother me. I don't find her annoying, or grating, or stupid. While I might not agree with some of them, I don't think they, or her, are idiotic. Now she may have changed in the past couple of years, I really haven't seen it in awhile, but the last time I saw The View, I rather liked her. The only one I really couldn't stand was Barbara Walters. But I've never been able to handle her.

Now Baba Wawa? She is annoying!

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Now Baba Wawa? She is annoying!

When there's a guest I want to see coming onto the View, I'll watch it but otherwise it's something I avoid. That being said, My philosophy on the panel is as follows:

Barbara: Meh, but she's the "head honcho".
Whoopi: Very cool, but I've always liked Whoopi.
Elizabeth: I ignore her.
Joy and Sherri? HATE.

I have hated Joy ever since her former CNN show participated in the farce of the Shannon Tweed/Gene Simmons "are they going to break up?" crap. It was all for their reality show, and I thought it was stupid for a show on freakin' CNN to participate in it. (I know, Anderson Cooper participated in Kathy Griffin's show, but still.)

Sherri got on my nerves way back when she first started the View, and tried to claim the world wasn't round, then tried to backpedal by saying she hadn't been in school in a while. Then she Star Jones-ed herself into a celebrity wedding. Just no.

Edited by AtlanticVamp, May 16, 2012 @ 12:04 AM.

Uranium

Uranium

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

I really like Megan and Jessica Pare on Mad Men. I admit I didn't always feel this way -- I was really disappointed by last season's finale when Don and Megan got married, and I didn't see how the show could make this an interesting or plausible development for Don's character. The episode where they fight in Howard Johnson's was the first time that I started backing Megan as a character, mostly because I totally sympathized and empathized with her behavior in their fights and I was scared for her when Don was chasing her around their apartment.

Then when Sally sassed her in the most recent episode, I found myself getting very defensive of her. Like, how dare Sally talk to her like that! She seems like such a sweet, sensitive, genuinely good-natured woman who lacks almost every other character's (especially Don's and Betty's) capacity for malice. I'm fully in her corner now. She has no idea what she's gotten herself into by marrying Don (I can never forget the fact that he purposefully pushed Roger into having a heart attack after Roger hit on Betty -- that was evil), and I hope he doesn't seriously hurt her in the end (mentally or physically).

(I should mention that I have no issue with Sally sassing Megan in terms of plausibility. She's getting to be the age for that kind of rebelliousness and Lord knows she comes from a mess of dysfunction.)

Edited by Uranium, May 16, 2012 @ 8:23 AM.

Aurilly

Aurilly

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:21 AM

I want more ugly unangelic girls/women that arenīt written off as a lame joke. Why canīt the geeky pimplish girl get the footballplayer for once? And if the girls/women are not physically perfect, they have to be perfect in every other way (example is Ugly Betty)and that just annoys me. I want women that feel human and is a great watch.

Please watch Misfits! (If you are in the UK, I'm sure there's some online way to watch it through the network website; in the US, it is on Hulu). For basically everything mentioned above. Kelly is a not-thin, not-particularly-pretty, super chavvy girl with serious anger management issues, but she is wonderfully human and the absolute best. She and the rude but weirdly endearing guy are the main will-they-won't-they storyline and she gets an insanely hot boyfriend in season 3.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:18 PM

I know a lot of people want Blair's story on Gossip Girl to end in one of the following ways: with Chuck, with Dan, or single (ie, choosing herself and Serena). What I want to see is Blair die a violent death (either suicide or murdered by Chuck), because I think that's the only truly believable way for her story to end. This show has inadvertently done a great job of showing just how nonexistent Blair's sense of self worth is, and how deep she's in the abuse cycle with Chuck, and the unfortunate fact is that a lot of women in Blair's situation end up dying violent deaths. It's nice to think that Blair can finally grow a spine, choose herself and Serena, get some therapy and become happy in the next 11 episodes, but that just doesn't make sense with regard to the character that has been presented to us. Don't get me wrong, I fully expect Chuck to continue to abuse her and the series to end with them married and never truly acknowledging their dysfunctional relationship while insisting that they're "happy", but I do think the only realistic way for Blair's story to end is with violence. That actually goes for Serena (I see a drug overdose in her future), Dan (alcohol abuse and bitterness), and Georgina (going full on psychopath and setting the world on fire just to watch it burn), and Chuck (abusing "the love of his life" and either murdering her or driving her to suicide) as well. The only characters I think would realistically escape the show without violent ends are Nate (too dumb to truly get hurt), Eric and Jenny (off the show and therefore safe), and Lily (she'll end up in a loveless marriage, but be surrounded by money and power, her two greatest loves).

agora

agora

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 5:34 PM

My unpopular opinion is that I don't care how Gossip Girl ends as long as it actually ends.