Party of One: Unpopular Opinions About TV

• Please log in to reply

28218 replies to this topic

YourMomOnToast

YourMomOnToast

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 22, 2012 @ 11:41 AM

Man, I want to agree with you guys on Eccleston. In principle, I do. But I've never recovered, psychologically, from Shallow Grave and I prefer to not be afraid of the Doctor. But while we're on the unpopular Who opinions... uh... Donna. Yes, she had great comic chemistry with Tennant. Yes, she was feisty, etc., etc. But she was also frequently a screeching harpie and I could really only take her in small doses. I can't count the number of times I yelled at my television, "Alright, already, Donna! Shut up, for god's sake!"

I want to be your bestie! Eccleston brought the sad/fun/drama/comedy all together, with a childlike sense of wonder.
Tennant was fine for a while, but he got so damn manic and squirrelly and bothersome.

My most UO though, is that Donna bugged the ever-living crap out of me. The voice, dear GOD her voice makes me want to stick a fork in my ear to make it stop. That may just be Catherine Tate though.

Game of Thrones UO is that I find Cersei's story compelling right now. Most hate her in general I feel, but I like her trying to deal with her crazy son as King.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

I'm not the grammar police. I don't give a damn if someone uses "Joe and I's" or "Diana and I's" at the end of a preposition when they're speaking. Most of the time, I hardly notice it, even if I don't speak that way. It's actually more annoying when improper grammar is focused on ad nauseam.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2012 @ 10:58 PM

My UO is that I do not get the Dina love on The Real Housewives of New Jersey. I think she is fine, but I do not really think she was around long enough for her to go cray cray like so many of the other women. First season, everyone was likable enough. Not perfect by any means, and sometimes annoying, but harmless enough. Second season, Dina left the show pretty early on and really did not have much of a storyline because her daughter wasn't allowed on camera. I am not appalled that Caroline and Dina had a falling out (I am not a Caroline fan either, but do not think the falling out was all Caroline's fault. I do not see Caroline as satan even though I am not a fan, but that is another UO), but I do not think Dina is the saint that some make her out to be. I just do not think we have seen her in enough of these very crazy situations (though she was around for the table flipping), but props to her for getting her own show on another network.

tvallthetime

tvallthetime

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 12:07 AM

While I admittedly enjoyed the show when it aired, it is like nails on a chalkboard to watch an episode of Gilmore Girls now. To the extent that I wondered what the hell I saw in it. Between the strummy "la-la-la" music, incessant quick wit between Lorelai and Rory or Lorelai and anyone else, annoying "quirky" townspeople, faux sob story of a single mother who chose to be, I just cannot take it now. Anyime I've tried to sit through an episode, I want to throw things. So, I've determined it's not a rewatchable show for me.

I feel the same way. I haven't been able to pinpoint why this show is so unwatchable for me now. Like with Medium, another favorite show of mine, once I saw the series finale, I lost interest in the reruns. They ruined everything with the series finale and I can't forget it. But, I was fine with how GG ended.

I'm not the grammar police. I don't give a damn if someone uses "Joe and I's" or "Diana and I's" at the end of a preposition when they're speaking. Most of the time, I hardly notice it, even if I don't speak that way. It's actually more annoying when improper grammar is focused on ad nauseam.

Ha! Were you in "The Amazing Race" thread?

Corporal Agarn

Corporal Agarn

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

I am easily distracted by poor grammar and spelling, but that is usually in reference to advertisements on television or when spoken by a character who should know better. I actually find it distracting when characters on television don't have grammar slip-ups. Most people, in conversation, are not grammatically perfect all the time, whether it's due to lack of education, regional dialects, or whatever. I've been watching NYPD Blue as of late and I like that Andy mispronounces certain words and Medavoy's grammar deteriorates when he's nervous. Makes it more real.

Speaking of NYPD Blue, is it unpopular to absolutely hate Diane? My God, she is interminable. I get the feeling I'm supposed to think her and Bobby's romance is the end-all and be-all of romances, but I just want to tell Bobby to run the other way posthaste.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:10 AM

I love Nellie on The Office. I thought last week's episode was great.

Maybe I'm just really easy to please.

ribboninthesky1

ribboninthesky1

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:19 AM

Ha! Were you in "The Amazing Race" thread?

Heh, yes, but I've noticed it elsewhere as well. But what's really interesting is that it only seems to be highlighted among people who are disliked. If you love a character or person, magically, improper grammar is not a problem. So it's really just nitpicking for the sake of it.

I am easily distracted by poor grammar and spelling, but that is usually in reference to advertisements on television or when spoken by a character who should know better.

Sure, that's fair. To the list of distractions, I'll add newspaper media as well - hard copy or online.

Most people, in conversation, are not grammatically perfect all the time, whether it's due to lack of education, regional dialects, or whatever.

Exactly!

Edited by ribboninthesky1, Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:19 AM.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

Most people, in conversation, are not grammatically perfect all the time, whether it's due to lack of education, regional dialects, or whatever.

And sometimes a grammatically imperfect sentence just "sounds" better to the ears. I know "could care less" is a pet peeve for obvious reasons but it just flows better when speaking and that is why it is used even though it is incorrect. So, yes, I agree with this. For people on television it makes sense for them to not always have perfect grammar. Even the most educated people often do not. And those that do are usually making a conscious effort, which is great but it is rare to be that focused on how you phrase things all of the time.

UseYourIllusion

UseYourIllusion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I still like Clarissa Explains It All. When The 90s Are All That began rerunning the show last summer on TeenNick, I was FLOORED at how many people said they hated it/thought it was boring on Facebook. Okay, yeah, it's Facebook, and they may have never seen it before, but still, it shocked me. Obviously not everyone's going to like something, but about the only thing I can think of that might turn people off from it are the outdated pop culture references Clarissa often made, which isn't entirely fair.

And this may not be a UO, but I prefer to remember MJH as Clarissa instead of Sabrina (and I watched BOTH shows as a kid and loved them).

I like the last season theme of Diff'rent Strokes.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

Power Ranger UOs

Billy was the hottest male Power Ranger, by far (even with the glasses--but when they were off, DAMN!).

As a kid, I like Jason best *swoon mcswoon*. Nowadays, Billy looks better. I almost want to bust out my VHS tape hoard and relive the FOX kids memories, complete with sweet 90s commercials.

I actually like the Power Rangers Zeo theme a bit better than the original theme.

Well, let's have a face off. Mighty Morphin theme vs. Zeo theme. So hard to choose...I'm going with your UO here though. Zeo wins by a narrow margin. How I wish they'd bring back power metal themes for kids shows. I'd say the Space theme was probably the third best. Only because it reminds me of old Iced Earth and how can that be bad thing???

Kim did actually spend a fair amount of time fainting in Tommy's arms once he returned as the White Jesus Ranger.

Haha...White Jesus Ranger. I never did care much for the pink ranger. My UO is that the pink ranger was always the token pretty girl and that bothered me a lot as a kid. It also pissed me off that all of the PR stuff for girls was pink. I was way into the yellow ranger and I could never find anything that was all about her. Eventually I settled for boy stuff with blue and red rangers on it because I refused to support the pink ranger.

Speaking of TMNT, I don't know just how unpopular this really is but I have not liked the past few incarnations of TMNT tv shows. As far as I'm concerned the first animated show was the best and only true TMNT show.

No one can remake TMNT. TMNT was one of the first adult-ish cartoons, IMO. The only reason they keep bringing them back is because they are one of the few things that can be marketed to boys past the age of 8. That's my UO and I'm sticking with it. Superheroes are babyish (according to my resident 8 year old boy). The only superhero he will admit to liking is Spider-man and even then, he's more into the villains. Transformers (also an 80s bring back) are "boring" unless your kid is willing to invest some time in getting to know them...which mine isn't and never will be. Star Wars...only the original please. None of this Star Wars lego bullshit. Cars is for pre-schoolers...so what's left? TMNT.

TMNT was always meant to be borderline lewd and crude. Rough around the edges. Gritty. April was kind of sexy. Shredder was kind of creepy. The Turtles had too much fun, they were basically teenage boys in turtle form. Now imagine trying to do them justice on say, Nicklodeon of today?? NOT gonna happen. Maybe on the pre-Adult Swim block on CN alongside Adventure Time...but any show on Nicklodeon or Disney or ABC Fam is not allowed to be that gritty and un-PC in today's world.

And I just have to include this song....if they do bring the show back, can this please be the theme song??

I still like Clarissa Explains It All. When The 90s Are All That began rerunning the show last summer on TeenNick, I was FLOORED at how many people said they hated it/thought it was boring on Facebook.

I think that people watching CEIA now probably don't get it. Just like people don't get Beavis and Butthead or Daria or a lot of the other kids shows of the 90s. Younger people don't get it because they've always had 50 Disney channels + Nick + The N + ABC Fam and all of these other channels that produced TONS of shows geared towards their demos. They have no idea what it was like to have to stay up late to see shows like CEIA, Are You Afraid?, All That, and the other good stuff on Nick. Older people are nostalgic over stuff like 30something (not a bad show) or Friends (ok) or My So-Called Life (meh). If any of them did watch the silly teen stuff like CEIA, they are not going to admit it...because they probably didn't get it.

That being said, Clarissa is a bit dated. Just like Daria and the boys seem kind of empty without their MTV approved music filler. And seriously, what happened to "GUTS" and "Legends of the Hidden Temple"?? Sad sad. My UO is that Nick's 90s kids gameshows were waay better than the 88 episodes of Spongebob they show now.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

And seriously, what happened to "GUTS" and "Legends of the Hidden Temple"?? Sad sad. My UO is that Nick's 90s kids gameshows were waay better than the 88 episodes of Spongebob they show now.

ITA. I miss GUTS, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare, etc. Why don't the kids channels do game shows like that anymore?

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 5:43 PM

Reminder: this thread is here for you to share your own opinions about TV. Sharing your opinion about how other viewers/fans/teenagers/people on Facebook react to a show, or declaring how some people "just donít get it" is boards on boards. Analyze the show all you like, but leave the audience out of it. Thanks.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 8:27 PM

I actually like The Killing and don't think it's the worst written piece of crap ever. Nor do I think it was a bad thing we didn't find out who killed Rosie at the end of the first season. Sure it has its points where dialogue makes you face palm (the how to download scene). But all in all, the idea that crimes take more than a couple of days and lab tech magic to solve is nice to see on TV. Brilliantly acted with mostly non-likeable but understandable characters. The added intrigue of a conspiracy on top of the murder is just a bonus. I'm glad I came along for the ride.

Another unpopular opinion, I don't like Hot in Cleveland. I know I'm supposed to fawn over it because it's a multi-camera revival with ex-Frasier writers (a sitcom I grew up with and loved), ex-Frasier actors and Betty White. But writing wise, it doesn't have the depth or heart that I expect from Frasier writers. It just seems like 3 middle aged women and Betty White obsessed with getting men. Everything they do seems to come from that POV. The acting doesn't really leave an impression on me. Or maybe just the characters aren't really anything special so the actors can't shine. Not too sure. Quite honestly, the main draw seems to be the fact that Betty White is still acting and stunt casting guest stars of which there are a lot of.

Virginia Plain

Virginia Plain

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

This reminds me, I'm tired of Betty White. I'd rather watch Cloris Leachman, she's much funnier and less grating because she does do that "I'm a sweet, yet naughty, old lady" shit that Betty's been riding on for the past while. Okay, this makes it sound like I hate Betty White, but I don't at all, I'm just tired of her.

auntie thesis

auntie thesis

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

Why don't the kids channels do game shows like that anymore?

I've often wondered what happened to kids game shows. I haven't seen any in a long time. I'd have to take a guess and say that kids game shows probably died out around the time that live action adventure shows like Power Rangers took a nose dive. Anymore it seems like everything for kids is either animated drivel (pretty much the entire Nick lineup these days), edgy cross appealing stuff (Adventure Time), or pure shit. Or Japanese rip off anime like Ben 10 or dubbed DBZ or some other such crap.

I'd say one of the main reasons that game shows or anything involving living, breathing actors geared towards kids probably got dropped due to the cost of paying actors and maintaining sets vs. the cost of animating a show and then re-running it 599 times a year. Live action shows have limited re-run appeal, imo. Once you've seen an episode of a game show...it's usually enough. Maybe twice if you like to play along but after that, it's overkill.

Then sometimes I think they died out because kids today just aren't as smart or as willing to make an ass out of themselves on national tv as kids were back in the 80s and 90s. Plus parents today probably wouldn't be game with letting their precious progeny bungee across the aggro crag or get captured by the Hidden Temple guards. Too much liability there.

Another unpopular opinion, I don't like Hot in Cleveland.

I'm ok with HIC in small doses but yes, Betty White plays that "cute old person" schtick to death. I can't stand Valerie B. and her co-stars are only so-so. Plus the whole LA to Cleveland culture shock thing is so...old. It was funny for about 2 episodes and after that, the writers seemed to be scrambling to make a coherent plot out of a flimsy ideal. It's almost like they didn't expect to get picked up for a full season, let alone 3 or 4. At this point, 3/4 of the plot is composed of their sexcapades or lack thereof and Betty White's senior citizen shenanigans...and the guest stars. The other 1/4 is just meh, run of the mill B level comedy that you can watch on Cougar Town or 2 Broke Girls or any other female centered comedy show.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

Speaking of Betty White, I've always felt an unpopular meh-ness towards Golden Girls. As much as I appreciate the basic message that the elderly still have actual lives, the show itself was mediocre to me---kind of hackneyed and not even especially funny. Of the sitcoms from that era, Golden Girls seems to be the one that many of the adolescent females I've worked with are latching onto now as the 'old' show they obsess over, and it wasn't even among my top seven or eight favorites from that time period!

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

I also hate Hot in Cleavland. I love Betty White for Sue Anne Nivens and, less so, Rose (and I liked when she told Tracy she would be at his funeral on her 30 Rock cameo) but that show is awful.

Why don't the kids channels do game shows like that anymore?

Nick is bringing back a ton of game shows. Including Figure it Out. They also do Brain Freeze. Of course, now Nick is desperate for ratings and broke as hell so gameshows are looking pretty good to them.

Then sometimes I think they died out because kids today just aren't as smart or as willing to make an ass out of themselves on national tv as kids were back in the 80s and 90s.

My experience with kids today is that they are smarter and more savvy than kids from my generation (80s/90s). And I don't think any kid from and age minds making an ass of themselves. I think going on youtube will have millions of tweens making an ass of themselves in some form. I think they just went away from game shows because they were less sexy and felt a little cheesy compared to the highly stylized shows both Nick and Disney have adapted in the 2000s.

And my huge generational UO is that I think the shows geared toward kids today tend to be much smarter and more watchable than the ones I grew up with, on the whole. I feel like, aside from Doug, most of the cartoons I watched growing up were just trying to sell my something in between ridiculous one liners. Even Rugrats was more fun to watch than "funny". Shows like Phineas and Ferb or Adventure Time are actually funny and enjoyable.

And I have nostalgia for Are You Afraid of the Dark (which Nick should bring back new episodes of) and other Snick shows. But I think a show like iCarly at its height (not its current sad state) or Wizards of Waverly Place at it's height is much better than a Clarissa or their ilk. They aren't as sweet but they are sitcoms intended to make human people laugh. I remember thinking how cool Clarissa was but not that anything was laugh out loud funny.

As much as I appreciate the basic message that the elderly still have actual lives

Well when the show started they were in their 50s (except Sophia) and they were actually younger than the Hot in Cleavland ladies are. So, I wouldn't call them elderly.

Edited by Betsyb, Apr 26, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

Delete please!

Edited by maculae, Apr 26, 2012 @ 10:51 AM.

yearoftheroostr

yearoftheroostr

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

Moesha UO:

I wish Kim hadn't been written off after the gang graduated from high school. Granted Countess Vaughn got to star in a show and it jump-started Mo'Nique's career, but I thought that Kim was far better utilized as a part of/had far better chemistry with the original gang (Moesha, Hakeem, Niecy) over the duds that The Parkers put together. It also didn't help matters that they dumbed Kim's character all the way down on the spinoff - something that I can help but think that they wouldn't have done if Kim had stuck around for Moesha's college years.

Another unpopular opinion of mine is that the show jumped the shark when Countess left. I call this a UO because Ray J is often blamed for killing the show even though the lack of Kim, IMO, left a hole in what was a decent cast that had great chemistry.

Edited by yearoftheroostr, Apr 26, 2012 @ 1:04 PM.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:51 PM

And I have nostalgia for Are You Afraid of the Dark (which Nick should bring back new episodes of)

They tried that once, which is how we got those basic-ass 6th and 7th seasons.

I'm afraid that if Nick brought back AYAOTD again, they'd try to revamp it into a glossier, highly stylized show. Half the charm of that show is in how low-rent it feels IMO. Bad acting (not necessarily in the traditional 'let me shout every single line' way), cheesy special effects, etc. Sigh. I do miss it.

Edited by tip and fall, Apr 26, 2012 @ 5:53 PM.

minneapple

minneapple

Stalker

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:04 PM

Half the charm of that show is in how low-rent it feels IMO. Bad acting (not necessarily in the traditional 'let me shout every single line' way), cheesy special effects, etc. Sigh. I do miss it.

All of the Nick shows from back in the day were like that. Are You Afraid of the Dark?, You Can't Do That On Television, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude. How hideous was everything about Fifteen? And yet it was somehow really watchable. None of those shows ever tried to break the mold or anything, they were just really kind of easy to watch. That indeed was part of their charm.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 26, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

I'm afraid that if Nick brought back AYAOTD again, they'd try to revamp it into a glossier, highly stylized show. Half the charm of that show is in how low-rent it feels IMO. Bad acting (not necessarily in the traditional 'let me shout every single line' way), cheesy special effects, etc. Sigh. I do miss it.

RL Stine's The Haunting Hour is a pretty good substitute. Though missing some charm because the lack of a Midnight Society. Also the whose who of kid actors have pretty much all been on it.

dietcokeisgood

dietcokeisgood

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

And I have nostalgia for Are You Afraid of the Dark (which Nick should bring back new episodes of) and other Snick shows. But I think a show like iCarly at its height (not its current sad state) or Wizards of Waverly Place at it's height is much better than a Clarissa or their ilk.

Although, I think iCarly and WoWP are both grating as hell now and only marginally better at their peak I'd concede to saying they are better than early 90s Nick which was waaaay too slapstick. However, my major UO is the best and most underrated show to come out of Nick or Disney in the last 15 years was As Told By Ginger.

glorygirl84

glorygirl84

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

Big UO about 90210. I loved Ethan and thought Dustin Millagin was not only super cute but had great chemistry with all the girls esp SG and JS. I loved the potential of Ethan/Silver and felt Ethan had alot of life in him, esp if Ethan stayed and Liam was still brought in. I was bummed he was fired and they sqaunded the Ethan/Silver potential.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 7:33 PM

However, my major UO is the best and most underrated show to come out of Nick or Disney in the last 15 years was As Told By Ginger.

I don't know if I think it's the best (I might; I'd just need some complete lists and some thinking time before I can make a claim like that!), it was an awesome, enormously underrated show. No one seems to remember it. I hated the visual style, but the stories and characters were great. And I loved that they changed clothes regularly; I can only think of one other show that did that (The Weekenders; another awesome and forgotten show).

My UO: Community is neither funny nor "smart." It's dumb, obvious, badly-written "joke" after "joke." I'm so tired of the whole "people who don't like it just aren't smart enough to get it" schtick. The show is just not funny. Oh my god, they're taking on sitcom tropes! How daring and intelligent! Meh. I also find every last person in the cast grating and unbearable.

Kosmonaut

Kosmonaut

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:03 AM

Angel UO: I LOVE Evil!Cordy. She is hilarious and easily my favorite part of the Angelus arc in season four. The first time she screams "ANGELUS!" inside his brain is so. Fucking. Funny. I really love season four in general, actually. It's definitely the one I rewatch fastest. I just binge on the wacky goodness.

Also, I really like Double or Nothing. In fact, I think I like Double or Nothing and The Price better than any of the last three episodes of season three.

And The Thin Dead Line is easily my least favorite episode of the series. It's way worse than anything from season four or five, IMO.

And Eternity is probably my favorite episode of the series. I have no idea why.

Edited by Kosmonaut, May 4, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:17 AM

I think Raising Hope's sadly underrated Martha Plimpton is a far more interesting, less grating and just generally funnier actress than the widely revered, more critically lauded Amy Poehler.

oreo8704

oreo8704

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I like both of them. Plimpton doesn't seem to get as much attention as she deserves though.

Edited by oreo8704, May 4, 2012 @ 1:00 PM.

Cherith

Cherith

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

I love Martha Plimpton but I certainly wouldn't call her underrated. Both she and Amy Poehler were nominated for emmys on their respective shows and neither won. Martha Plimpton has all of those Tony nominations. And I read a lot of articles praising both. So I don't think Amy Poehler is getting all sorts of acclaim that Martha Plimpton isn't. Their acclaim seems mostly equal. (And Amy is a producer, writer and director on her show so she will get more attention for that.) Plus this is Amy's fourth year on Parks. Not many people were talking about that show when it was in its second year (as Raising Hope is now).

Martha may get less media attention but that is because she seems to be a more private person whereas Amy Poehler is in a high profile relationship (for critics) and a high profile friendship. And helped found the second most influential improv theater in the country (sorry, Groundlings). And Parks and Rec is just a more high profile show with critics because Raising Hope is great when it is good but wildly inconsistent. But I don't think how often they are on talk shows and stuff corresponds to how highly rated they are. What I think of as big tv snobby critics like The AV Club and Alan Sepinwall seem to bend over backwards praising both.

I have seen both live (Martha Plimpton in Top Girls, Amy on SNL and when she did a sunday performance at UCB). They are both pretty great at what they do.

Edited by Cherith, May 4, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

lemma

lemma

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:03 AM

Josh Dallas. Yeah, that is someone I do not get it. There is something so dweeby and unappealing about him. I don't find him attractive and I certainly don't find him charming.

Edited by lemma, May 5, 2012 @ 2:05 AM.