Party of One: Unpopular Opinions About TV

• Please log in to reply

28221 replies to this topic

Uzumaki

Uzumaki

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:32 PM

Futurama was stupid dreck full of lame college boy jokes. Family Guy is barely better.

CSI is still one of the best primetime dramas on now.

volcano

volcano

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:34 PM

I don't know if I actually hate Desparate Housewives, or just all the hype around it. Also, I find Eva Longoria incredibly boring and every time I see her in a Katrina PSA, I always think that she's trying to atone for being such an asshole on the MTV VMAs.

Also, I hate, hate HATE Sex and the City and I hate that it was sold as some new-wave feminist woman-empowering crock of shit. Carrie was one of the most thoroughly annoying characters ever, Samantha was totally unrealistic, Charlotte slept around as much as any of the others but always whined about how she felt bad about it, so her supposed role as the "innocent one" was totally unfounded. Miranda was the only remotely redeeming character in that show, and even she was questionable sometimes.

Also, I automatically hate any show that insists that all women love shoes.

Also, I originally like Queer Eye, but after a couple episodes I realized this show served only to make guys feel as shitty about themselves as a lot of women feel about themselves. It's not progress to make men think they have to moisturize with cow placenta or whatever. It's total regress.

giovannif7

giovannif7

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:38 PM

Random thoughts:

Reality Show Stars (why is that even a legitimate designation?) should not be allowed on other reality shows. And their weddings should never be televised, unless the designation "Famewhore" appears below them every time they are on camera.

I don't wanna see anyone else get any kind of a makeover. That goes for rooms, houses and cars too.

Faux News Channel should be renamed Propaganda News.

Regis Philbin needs to go away. Far away. Where there are no cameras. Or microphones.

The women of The View, Donald Trump and Paris Hilton - see Regis Philbin.

The Gilmore Girls need to stop talking so fast, and need to wait until the other person is finished talking before they begin to speak.

Eyes was the best new show of last year.

Soap operas either need to get back to basics, or just go away. Focusing on misogynistic mobsters as heroes isn't going to capture a new loyal generation of viewers.

Rozinante

Rozinante

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:42 PM

WORD to all of the reality TV hate. I have never watched any entire episode of any of the shows, and you could count the number of episodes I've seen bits of on one hand.

Someone said American Idol was like listening to bad karaoke, and I so agree. I have never watched that show, either, but the ones who have made it to the radio (Kelly, Ruben, Clay...) have not impressed me one bit. A big voice does NOT make you a talented singer.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:45 PM

If I had to choose between Kristin Kreuk or Erica Durance, I'd choose Erica.

I preferred Chicago Hope to ER (except for Love Labors Lost, that episode shook me up)

I found the Buffy musical episode to be incredible unneccesary. Add Hush to that list.

and this might be the most shocking

*low voice* I find David Caruso to be a decent actor *end low voice*

stationwagonmum

stationwagonmum

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:49 PM

I've never watched Seinfeld, Friends or made it through an episode of Survivor.

I liked Sailor Moon when my kids were little, but never understood Pokemon "pika, pika".

I want Det. Logan back on Law and Order and I think that Vincent what's his name on CI is as sexy as last nights cold left over spaghetti.

enchantress

enchantress

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

I love Spike.

Party of 2! Me too.

I hate reality TV. I find watching my dog sleep more entertaining.

Ditto. I don't have a dog, but I agree with the sentiments.

Add me to the group that loathes Seinfeld. Not funny.

Sex and the City is terrible. And Sarah Jessica Parker grates my last nerve.

I still like The West Wing. Yes, still.

I like every season of Buffy.

I'm still bitter about Popular getting cancelled.

The Sopranos bore me.

I can't stand Katie Couric. Shut up, Katie Couric. Just shut up.

mtvcdm

mtvcdm

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:00 PM

Backing up to Page 2, word to the C-SPAN love. I consider it emergency programming when nothing else is on, preferring to see some House and Senate sessions. I've seen my new political love in Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), a day in which the House voted eight separate times, all 15-minute votes, on whether to go home for the day (all votes failed spectacularly), and a Cameroonian immigrant calling in on a vote to go absolutely batshit ballistic. Catch it at the right time and there is some DAMN entertaining stuff.

Mexicanguy

Mexicanguy

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:01 PM

Also, I originally like Queer Eye, but after a couple episodes I realized this show served only to make guys feel as shitty about themselves as a lot of women feel about themselves. It's not progress to make men think they have to moisturize with cow placenta or whatever. It's total regress.

Here, here! I thought the same think since the very begining of Queer Eye.

You don't need the low voice, this is the Unpopular opinions thread. You don't have to feel bad, guilty or ashamed for any opinion you might share with us.

Edited by Mexicanguy, Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:31 PM.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:05 PM

I've never gotten the appeal of "Gilmore Girls" either. I think I watched it twice or maybe three times.

OK -- you had a baby at a young age & disappointed your family -- big frickin' deal! So did I. Guess what?? My parents eventually got over it! I moved out, grew up, married, worked, went to school, and had a couple more kids -- now, the only weird thing is that I became a grandma before I was 40. Again, big frickin' deal!

Loreli's (sp?) family (her mom, IIRC) treats her with such extreme disrespect because Loreli allows her to do so! What the heck is supposed to be admirable about this woman? That she's willing to put up with shit so they'll pay her daughter's school costs? Geez, get yourself some self-respect and send the kid to public school -- if she's really as smart as you seem to think, she will get scholarships.

ld1

ld1

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:18 PM

OK, here goes:

Alex McCloud was a MUCH better host of "Trading Spaces" than friggin' Paige Davis.

I have never seen one second of either "Lost" or "Desperate Housewives," and I have absolutely no desire to.

"The Simpsons" should have ended years ago. Seriously.... The same goes for "E/R."

I preferred Buffy with Spike, not Angel.

I think Kevin James from "King of Queens" is kinda hot.

Jennifer Garner, Sarah Jessica Parker, & Eva Longoria are. not. pretty.

Clay & Bo were both robbed.

screamapiller

screamapiller

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:20 PM

There are often very interesting speakers on C-Span. Yes, I know I am a lone voice in the wilderness on this one.

I would rather spend hours watching Congressional hearings or British Parliamentary proceedings than watch most network television.

I'm sorry they're bringing Mike Logan back to Law & Order: CI. I say leave well enough alone. Plus, Noth looks like he's been doing some hard living in a van down by the river.

Edited by screamapiller, Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:21 PM.

Irish Wolf

Irish Wolf

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:20 PM

"Reality TV" has nothing to do with reality.

You want me to watch "Survivor"? Make it real. Strand the contestants in the wilderness somewhere, with cameras around to keep an eye on them, and waivers up the yin-yang. Don't give them supplies; don't make them undertake pointless "challenges"; don't eliminate people by voting. The only ways out are to quit, or to become disabled by disease, starvation, accident, or suchlike. The point is to survive. The last one remaining in the designated wilderness zone wins. That I'd watch...

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:21 PM

This is, of course, a thread for the stating of our opinions, not for interpersonal discussion or argument about them -- but isn't it fascinating that among us, we feel that it's unpopular both to hate Lost and to like it?

Petuni

Petuni

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:22 PM

OK -- you had a baby at a young age & disappointed your family -- big frickin' deal! So did I. Guess what?? My parents eventually got over it!

And probably because YOU got over it first! That mother (her name? Who cares!) always struck me as a walking Intimate Portrait, where her life and story was a constant struggle. Get over it.

I will never watch an episode of the following shows:

The Sopranos
Sex in the City
Deperate Housewives
Lost (even though Harold Perrineau is my TV boyfriend)
The O.C.

Never. Never.

piscesgirl315

piscesgirl315

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:24 PM

I can't stand Logan from Veronica Mars, the guy isn't hot either.

Veronica Mars is good show, but it not amazing.

While Lauren Graham from Gilmore Girls is great, she not that great.

I didn't think Season 5 of Gilmore Girls was that great with a exceptional of a few episodes.

I love Bree from DH, but she not the only reason the show was as great as it is.

Stephen Culp from Desperate Housewives is not God and the show will be fine with out him.

Jesse Metcalfe is not very attractive. (nice body, but what the hell up with his eyebrows?)

I can't stand Tony and Michelle from 24. There quite borning.

I also didn't mind Audrey or Kim from 24

G.O.B. from Arrested Development is a funny character, but he rather annoying at times. I prefer Buster.

Edited by piscesgirl315, Sep 18, 2005 @ 1:29 AM.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:27 PM

This is, of course, a thread for the stating of our opinions, not for interpersonal discussion or argument about them -- but isn't it fascinating that among us, we feel that it's unpopular both to hate Lost and to like it?

How about "to have never seen it"?

You don't need the low voice, this is the Unpopular opinions thread. You don't have to feel bad,guilty or ashamed for any opinion you might share with us.

I don't mind him, either -- not my favorite but I've never gotten the extreme hatred around here.

I liked Laura Allen when she was on All My Children! That got me (figuratively) beaten up on quite a few forums.

Rozinante

Rozinante

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:28 PM

I've never watched it, and don't plan to because it's a genre that doesn't interest me, but my suspicion is that a lot of people started watching it only because it has Dominic Monaghan from Lord of the Rings in it.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:33 PM

"The Simpsons" has long outlived its usefulness as decent comedy.

I never understood the appeal. It wasn't funny when I was a child, and it isn't funny as an adult. I don't like King of the Hill either. I've tried watching it several times and I just don't like it.

I preferred Buffy with Spike, not Angel.

Me too. They have better chemistry.

I don't think Kate from Lost is that bad. I don't necessarily like her, but she's not worthy of the kind of hate I reserve for, lets say, Lana Lang.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:38 PM

I've never watched it, and don't plan to because it's a genre that doesn't interest me, but my suspicion is that a lot of people started watching it only because it has Dominic Monaghan from Lord of the Rings in it.

Not exactly an opinion about TV...but I tried to read "Lord of the Rings" when I was about 20 & it bored me silly. I also read "Catcher in the Rye" when I was 19 or 20 & found it the most overrated piece of drivel I could imagine. I think I may have been too old to appreciate it -- if I'd read it when I was 12 or 13 (when I guess most kids do), I'd have probably bought right into the angst & alienation.

Topic? I just asked my 18-year-old if she had any unpopular opinions about TV -- she said she finds both "The OC" & "Laguna Beach" (which bills itself as the real Orange County?) boring as all hell.

Sociophobic

Sociophobic

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:51 PM

I don't like King of the Hill either. I've tried watching it several times and I just don't like it.

I didn't like King of the Hill until I moved to Texas, and now it's hilarious.

As for my opinion, I think American Idol and the shows it spawned are absolutely pointless drivel. I have no clue why anyone would watch these things on a weekly, let alone nightly basis.

volcano

volcano

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 11:52 PM

You know, I've never seen him on CSI:Miami, but I watched him in Session 9 and I found him to be just fine. After I put together who he was, I actually felt like I was supposed to hate him just because he's so detested on this website.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:00 AM

Speaking of liking detested characters -- I like Sam on ER. Both the actress & the character. She's a good mom (& a much more realistic portrayal of a teen-mom-grown-up than Loreli Gilmore, IMO) & she's a terrific nurse! Although she probably should tie her hair back at work.

Now, Abby......yeccchhh! I think she suffers from the same manic-depression as her mom & brother, but she never goes into the manic phase. Watching her certainly depresses me.

ThisIsAUsername

ThisIsAUsername

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:02 AM

I can't stand Logan from Veronica Mars.

Hate him. With a passion. And Lo/Ve makes me sick.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:09 AM

I love Spike.

Add me to that group too. And I liked that he got a soul. I also loved Wesley once he was on Angel.

I have never made it through a full episode of Seinfeld, Arrested Development, Rescue Me, The Shield, The Apprentice, or American Idol and I have no interest in doing so. And I made it through exactly one episode of The OC, The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and Sex In The City, which was more than enough.

blocked writer

blocked writer

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:14 AM

I think Eva Longoria is stunning. She made an incredible ass of herself on the VMA show, and if the reports are true, she's not the nicest person. But it doesn't change her looks, IMO. If I saw someone who looked like her on the street, and knew nothing about her, I'd think she was beautiful.

Just like some incredibly talented people who are reputed to have less than stellar personalities; it doesn't make them any less talented, IMO.

Dispatcherbert

Dispatcherbert

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:49 AM

I always liked "Seinfeld", but I cannot stand "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Everyone makes that show out to be this brilliant example of comedy, but Larry David is just this whiny horse's ass, and his wife is a real piece of work, too.

Sing it, mbridgii! I tried to watch one ep of CYE and wanted to gnaw my fuckin’ arm off!

I’ve never seen a second of any Survivor or TAR. Outside of the snark on TA, I pretty much hate all reality TV and think it should be banned—starting most importantly with the hideous Fear Factor!

Perfect Xero

Perfect Xero

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:50 AM

The Gilmore Girls aren't funny, all they do is talk fast. Saying unfunny things fast doesn't make them funny!

"The Simpsons" has long outlived its usefulness as decent comedy. They have been coasting for years, yet they keep running new episodes.

Wait ... I thought that was the popular opinion. Certainly among long time fans of the show (especially those that post in the Simpsons thread here on TWoP). I was going to post my (unpopular) opinion that the Simpsons is still good at times, and that I'm glad that it's still on the air.

I love Spike.

Add me to that group too.

I guess that might be the unpopular opinion on TWoP, but among the general TV watching (and net surfing) public? I'd say he's one of the more popular characters out there, and not just from Buffy, but among general Sci-Fi/Fantasy characters.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:51 AM

I love Spike too.

I hated the Smallville episode Sacred. Most people liked it because it had special effects and mythology, but to me it was a big steaming pile of crap that went nowhere. All it was good for was to show how cute Kristen Kreuk looked in a Chinese robe.

Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:51 AM

I think Eva Longoria is stunning. She made an incredible ass of herself on the VMA show, and if the reports are true, she's not the nicest person. But it doesn't change her looks, IMO. If I saw someone who looked like her on the street, and knew nothing about her, I'd think she was beautiful.

I think she's stunning, too. Regarding her personality, her co-stars have always said good things about her, especially Ricardo who has been quoted on saying that she's like a sister to him. I believe word from them over anything printed in the tabloids.

Here's what she says about her co-stars, courtesy of Elle magazine:

"Teri is really funny. She has almost as many bad date stories as me. She's so grateful that fame has happened second time round. She's also a great cook."

"Felicity is a real sister type; maternal with a lot of quiet grace. We and Marcia meet up for dinner regularly. She's a great listener and really good company."

"Marcia is a very strong woman. She won't take shit from anyone. She has the most beautiful face with perfect skin and amazing blue eyes. She's a very loyal friend."

"Nicollette was the first of the cast I bonded with. She told me that if anyone was mean to me, I was to tell her and she'd sort it. I know she'd always be in my corner."

"Forget Mike [James Denton] and John [Jesse Metcalfe], the one who really does it for me is Mr Solis [Ricardo Chavira]. He's strong, rich, dark and handsome, and a great kisser."

Edited by Meaghan Edwards, Sep 18, 2005 @ 12:54 AM.