Party of One: Unpopular Opinions About TV

• Please log in to reply

28244 replies to this topic

tobia

tobia

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 6:06 PM

Do you have any TV opinions that will get you scathed by others? Share them here.

Mine, in no particular order:

*I HATE Veronica Mars. It's just so very shallow, and Veronica is so very unrealistically perfect. Two episodes were enough for me. I just don't get all the love for it.

*I actually enjoyed Joan of Arcadia season 2 more than Season 1. They made much better use of Skylight Books, among other things, and some really great arcs.

*I didn't like the Simpsons episode "Homer vs. New York." It felt so much like a road trip movie, and I really don't like road trip movies.

*I actually thought Haylie Duff did in okay job in JoA's "Shadows and Light." Not great, but I bought it. I guess that shows you what good material can do.

Stanwyck

Stanwyck

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 6:32 PM

I never thought Seinfeld was even remotely funny. Ditto The Simpsons.

Gilmore Girls is not the best thing since sliced bread, and whatherface (the mother) is not that great an actress.

I liked the final episode of Quantum Leap especially because Sam never went home and is still leaping.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 7:05 PM

I like Smallville's Lois Lane.

I never got the appeal of Seinfeld

I'm not into Lost

kalinara

kalinara

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 7:08 PM

I prefer seasons 3-4 of Due South to seasons 1-2 (And Ray Kowalski to Ray Vecchio). I *loved* the ending.

I think Torri Higginson makes a much better Elizabeth Weir than Jessica Stein (Stargate SG-1/Atlantis), in terms of both acting ability and physical appeal

Jack was my favorite character from Lost because as much as an asshole as he often was, I found him immensely sympathetic.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 7:14 PM

Starbuck should not have ovaries.

I just can't find the appeal of Buffy or Angel, so my eyes tend to glaze over every time someone compares a character or scene or facial expression to something brilliant that once happened on one of those shows one day.

Wendy Pepper on her worst day didn't annoy me nearly as much as Kara Saun did.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 7:27 PM

I find that the later seasons of Buffy and Angel are about on the same level as the earlier ones, with comparable ups and downs.

My eyes glaze over with boredom when I try to watch Veronica Mars or Gilmore Girls (or, so far, Rome).

I always enjoyed Rico on Six Feet Under (not the same as approving of everything the character did), and never felt like telling him to shut up.

I have essentially no complaints about the first season of Lost.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 7:36 PM

I find Frasier to be an insult to comedy.

I'd choose first season ST: Enterprise to the last season anyday.

I find Kristin Bell to be mediocre at best.

I find Family Guy very boring.

Rozinante

Rozinante

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 7:40 PM

I really don't watch that much non-educational, non-sports programming, but here's my unpopular opinion:

It's about time they retired the Star Trek franchise. It's over. Move on.

Dani-Ellie

Dani-Ellie

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 8:12 PM

Oh, I have found my people.

-Buffy and Angel are not the be all and end all of television. And Joss Whedon is not a god.

-I am in love with Casey Novak on SVU. And I think that Diane Neal is a good actress.

-I have a love/hate relationship with Aaron Sorkin, in that I love that he gave us Sports Night, but the fact that there are repeated storylines and even repeated lines of dialogue VERBATIM from SN on The West Wing is not cool or funny or even remotely cute. It's lazy writing and it's obnoxious.

Mexicanguy

Mexicanguy

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 8:13 PM

I don't think Arrested Development is the best sitcom currently in the air.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 8:27 PM

Awesome thread idea, tobia!

I don't think Arrested Development is the best sitcom currently in the air.

Guess we're in a minority of two here, because ITA with you. In fact, I don't even think it's the *second* best comedy on the air. Which brings me to another very unpopular TV opinion...

...I freakin' love and adore the US version of The Office. I like it better than the revered (but, IMO, relentlessly flat and grim) British version, and in fact love it far above all other TV comedies with the exception of my beloved Scrubs.

I *do* consider myself a Gilmore Girls fan, but cringe when critics gush over how great this past season was, because I thought it was an absolute trainwreck. And a related unpopular opinion: I don't think Gilmore Girls is even the best show on the WB. IMO, that honor would go to the grossly underrated but phenomenally well-done and emotionally resonant Everwood.

While I like Veronica Mars, I don't think the episodes hold up well AT ALL with subsequent viewings, which for me separates shows I like from shows I obsessively love and rush to own on DVD.

I think the first season of The O.C. was phenomenally well-written, strongly acted, witty and compelling television, NOT just a 'guilty pleasure.' It's actually one of my top 10 seasons of TV ever, which, given that I'm at least 10 years older than the show's target demographic, is actually quite sad!

Lost flat-out sucks. I consider it one of the most overrated shows ever. The dialgoue is painfully stilted, the vast majority of the actors desperately need lessons and the storylines are almost all incredibly boring and/or filled with plot holes wide enough to drive a truck through. This is based on just the first 3/4 of the season, though, since at that point I finally gave up hope that it would improve and stopped watching!

Edited by marlaas, Sep 17, 2005 @ 8:58 PM.

Well Manicured

Well Manicured

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 8:44 PM

Compete Word to:

I just can't find the appeal of Buffy or Angel, so my eyes tend to glaze over every time someone compares a character or scene or facial expression to something brilliant that once happened on one of those shows one day.

and

-Buffy and Angel are not the be all and end all of television. And Joss Whedon is not a god.

I have found my people. I never thought Buffy or Angel deserved all of the love that they got. Whenever a clever show involving teenagers or quirky character comes along, someone, somewhere compares it to Buffy and/or Angel or declares it a rip-off of the two shows. I watched Buffy and Angel as long as I could because I had a tv buddy and a sister who loved them, and I was not always in charge of the remote. Buffy and Angel were quite good at times, but hell, they weren't that great.

And I must also say Alias and Jennifer Garner are not the second coming. I also do not understand why Lost is getting a second season.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 8:50 PM

I have found my people.

Me too!

I saw "Seinfeld" exactly once (my boss kept telling me how much I would love it) -- I was completely underwhelmed.

And I never saw a first-run episode of "Friends" -- although I have occasionally been in the room when the early-evening reruns come on if one of my kids wants to watch it. Again, underwhelming.

I've never watched "Survivor" or any of the numerous clones of same.

CookieChica

CookieChica

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:06 PM

I wasn't intrigued by any seasons of Alias and I don't find Jennifer Garner at all appealing.

I loved Boone on LOST.

Sex & the City wasn't really that funny to me.

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:11 PM

Fascinating topic.

I wanted to like Everybody (Everyone?) Loves Raymond, but I hated Raymond and everyone else on that show. It was funny only rarely, and often insulting, contrived and cliched. I never understood all the rapturous praise for it, as if it were something so original.

It's about time they retired the Star Trek franchise. It's over. Move on.

So true, Rozinante! That horse has been dead so long, they're beating a skeleton.

There are often very interesting speakers on C-Span. Yes, I know I am a lone voice in the wilderness on this one.

mom2tee

mom2tee

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:14 PM

I was just coming here to post that I never watched more than a few minutes of Survivor I, Survivor II, Survivor XXIVCD or whatever. Ditto for Bachelor, Bachelorette, and any other "reality" show involving the doling out of roses. Although I take that back, I caught an intriguing episode of the Fox one about dating a "little person".

edited to add:

There are often very interesting speakers on C-Span. Yes, I know I am a lone voice in the wilderness on this one.

I love me some C-Span. Have you ever seen the episode of News Radio where she discovers C-Span and they sit in the electronics superstore while she watches C-Span and he watches Green Acres? That is me and Dad2tee well ... to a tee.

Edited by mom2tee, Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:17 PM.

MsGail61

MsGail61

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:19 PM

I never cared for Friends, or any sitcom in which the punchlines are delivered by clueless ditzes or wiseasses trying to one up each other. After catching some of Lisa Kudrow's new show on HBO (The Comeback), I find her voice grating and she's too young to look so wrinkled.

90 Pound Mole

90 Pound Mole

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:23 PM

This thread is the awesome.

I dont see the appeal of Veronica Mars. I'll admit I havent watched it, but the rape storyline was enough to put me off forever. It's so done people.

Sex and the City was so painful to watch I would rather have my teeth pulled. Ditto Seinfeld. Desperate Housewives is dull, badly paced, laughingly scripted crap on a silver platter with scones.

Deadwood is fucking stupid. It seems like post-Sopranos any show on HBO that's all relentless cussing and tits is heralded as being genius. It's not. It's just trite and boring. Sorry, it's just trite and boring cocksuckers.

I thought Dead Like Me was a better show than Six Feet Under.

I thought the fourth season of The Sopranos was better than the fifth.

I thought Austin Scarlett's designs on Project Runway were costumey and boring.

I thought Cordelia Chase was the best character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and far more realistic, in her way, than Buffy, Giles, Willow or Xander.

I dont think that The Amazing Race is any better than any of the other crappy reality shows on tv.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:25 PM

After catching some of Lisa Kudrow's new show on HBO (The Comeback), I find her voice grating and she's too young to look so wrinkled.

She is 42, I think -- haven't seen her new show & probably never will!

jprtoronto

jprtoronto

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:30 PM

Oh I'm jumping in on this one.

Wendy Pepper is not as bad as people would have you believe. Plus, after watching all the final designs, she made clothes people probably would actually wear.

Arrested Development, Seinfeld and the Office are not that funny. They are just uncomfortable to watch.

Will and Grace still makes me laugh

Prison Break is silly

Rescue Me is dull.

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:34 PM

I find Kristin Bell to be mediocre at best.

Can I hug you? AMEN to this. She's actually one of the many reasons I can't get into Veronica Mars.

I also find Lost to be the most overrated steaming crap bag in a long time, for all the already mentioned reasons. I deeply regret that I will never get those hours back.

mbridgii

mbridgii

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:37 PM

I always liked "Seinfeld", but I cannot stand "Curb Your Enthusiasm". Everyone makes that show out to be this brilliant example of comedy, but Larry David is just this whiny horse's ass, and his wife is a real piece of work, too.

"The Simpsons" has long outlived its usefulness as decent comedy. They have been coasting for years, yet they keep running new episodes. Meanwhile, not only does "King of the Hill" get constant short shrift, but "Futurama" never even got a chance to shine. Yet the tales of this fat, balding doofus continue.

"SNL"? Not worth all the hype. Sure, it's been on forever; however, until recently, "MadTV" was much better (that is, until all the good cast members left). "SNL" sketches are often boring, and Lorne Michaels is now the Establishment figure that, I imagine, he would have openly mocked in 1975. Why else would he open the hosting doors to the likes of people like Paris Hilton, and the musical spot to someone like Ashlee Simpson.

I don't think they should have brought back "Family Guy". The new episodes have not lived up to the standards of the originals, and everyone seems to be just going through the motions. Plus, the new episodes have zero plot - it's like they've taken a page from "The Simpsons" in how to be absolutely nothing.

Cross Eyed Mary

Cross Eyed Mary

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:41 PM

It occurs to me that my dislike of reality shows is a big reason I don't understand a lot of the Pixel Challenge entries -- I have no idea who the people are or why anyone's ox should be broken.

sonneta

sonneta

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:43 PM

I've never watched any of the "Survivor"s, "Big Brother"s, or any of the "Bachelor" or "Bachelorette"s. I watched one episode of "American Idol" and was bored to tears (they all sounded like they were doing bad karaokee to me). I've never watched the "Apprentice" or any ripoff thereof ("The Cut", etc.).

Over all, I hate reality TV.

emace

emace

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:51 PM

[/QUOTE]*I HATE Veronica Mars. It's just so very shallow, and Veronica is so very unrealistically perfect. Two episodes were enough for me. I just don't get all the love for it.[QUOTE]

I agree! Let's see, she can cook, speak Spanish, fix cars, play killer poker - and she doesn't panic when she's kidnapped and dumped in a car trunk, just reaches for her cell and calls for help. She's like an action figure, in no way a realistic teenage girl - who the hell always has a smart remark except in TV land. And her wardrobe is atrocious.

I don't think the actress who plays Lana on Smallville is all that bad. She's done in by the script.

I've never seen a reality TV show and don't intend to. They're boring. And so is Seinfield, it's full of unlikeable people I'd slit my throat if I had to share a vehicle with on a long trip.

I also fail to see the appeal of Arrested Development. And Family Guy is painfully uneven.

Jilly Copper

Jilly Copper

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:55 PM

I love Spike.

Now there's an unpopular opinion.

Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 9:54 PM

I hate reality TV. I find watching my dog sleep more entertaining.

As much as I like Steven Culp, I don't think he's the God a lot of people make him out to be. Same for Marcia Cross. It was sad that Rex died but I got over it and I'm looking forward the to second season of Desperate Housewives.

I can't get into Lost.

dreamy

dreamy

Stalker

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:02 PM

My eyes glaze over with boredom when I try to watch Veronica Mars or Gilmore Girls (or, so far, Rome).

Rinaldo, God love ya. I agree with you on the latter two. I really, really, really tried to get into Rome. I finally decided that I have a better shot of flying into the city than getting involved in this program.

I dont think that The Amazing Race is any better than any of the other crappy reality shows on tv.

90 Pound Mole, I’ve never seen The Amazing Race, but I truly thought I was the only one on this board not to have done so. Or Runway. Or another half dozen of shows like that.

I also never saw Buffy or Angel, which I always thought made me an oddity (especially given some of the other crap I watch regularly).

Before I say the following, I should probably check the FAQs to make sure you can’t be banned for bad taste…A few unpopular opinions on the ‘watching’ side: it’s incredible the amount of Discovery Health channel I can watch in a sitting. The Critical Hour/Dr. G/Paramedics/Plastic Surgery: Before and After, etc. Add repeats (repeats for God’s sake!) of Unsolved Mysteries to that. And finally, I never missed an episode of Rescue 911 when it was on the air. Maybe this belongs on another thread: “Foolish TV Choices I Have Made.”

Edited by dreamy, Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:03 PM.

MetropolisGal

MetropolisGal

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:21 PM

Contrary to popular opinion, "The West Wing" did not start to suck when John Wells took over. The suck started in Season Three (and four) with Aaron Sorkin's ridiculous "Isaac and Ishmael", to the non-resolution of the whole MS plotline, to "The Women of Qumar", to CJ's stalker, to Toby having twins with his ex-wife, and naming one of them HUCKLEBERRY. All on Sorkin's watch, folks.

And BTW, "Sports Night" sucked.

"Desperate Housewives" sucks. I bailed after episode three. Cannot understand what the fuss is about.

I liked Michelle Trachtenberg as Dawn on "Buffy". And Glory was one of my favorite villains.

And "Battlestar Galactica"? Yeah, whatever. Just throw in some T&A and that's supposed to "update" the show? What. the. hell. EVER.

Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2005 @ 10:25 PM

Jesse Metcalfe doesn't do anything for me. Ricardo Chavira, on the other hand . . .