The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23955 replies to this topic

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 6:18 AM

Gerrymandering. How Republicans cheat and call it fair and square.

I don't know why, but the thing with Dustin Hoffman kinda felt flat to me. Maybe it's just me in the early morning.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:07 AM

I loved the conversation with Hoffman (or Dusty. Or Tinny). I thought it was hilarious.

I hadn't seen that clip of Malia photobombing her parents kissing. That was great.

Yeah, Sir Robert on Downton Abbey is so great, providing health care for everyone and so forth, but he is actually pretty incompetent. He would have lost the estate if luck hadn't intervened. Plus, he's screwed up a few times thruout the series. Not the best role model.

Love FDR's speech which included a bit of hopelessness. "What’s the point? I can’t walk! I can’t walk!"

Here's Stephen's oath of office:

I, the Reverend Sir Doctor Stephen T. mos def Colbert DFA Heavyweight Champion of the World, do solemnly affirm that I will faithfully reject this President of the United States, and will, to the best of your knowledge, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and ensure he is a one two-term President, in sickness and in health, so help me God, play ball, the tribe has spoken, ba-da-ba-DA-bahhh, I'm lovin' it.

Edited by peeayebee, Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:25 AM.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

Gerrymandering. How Republicans cheat and call it fair and square.

No kidding. Pennsylvania, more Democratic votes for Congressmen than Republican, won less than a third, 5 out of 18 districts.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

I hope the public and the media really start paying attention to this gerrymandering bullshit and it becomes an issue like voter suppression was, and it gets stopped dead in its tracks.

We knew the GOP had no intention of changing their message or being more inclusive. Their motto is, "If we can't win by cheating, we need to learn how to cheat BETTER!!"

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 9:52 AM

the thing with Dustin Hoffman kinda felt flat to me

Not just you. The whole time I was thinking: "huh, Dustin Hoffman doing in-person product placement for his movie? That's a new wrinkle." I didn't exactly care, but it was distractingly blah in an otherwise funny show.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:19 AM

I hadn't seen that clip of Malia photobombing her parents kissing. That was great.

I was watching it live (dork!), and may well have squeaked a bit when she did that. So adorable, the lot of them.

I'm a little bit impressed that Bigelow admitted out loud being freaked out about being hauled in to testify at Congress. I suspect she needn't be, but that's another thing altogether.

Thanks for that transcription, pee! (technically, though, it's 'mos def' -- the name he was bequeathed from the mc/actor Dante Terrell Smith.) I'm going to print it out and hang it on my bulletin board!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:23 AM

Thanks for the correction, attica. I've changed it.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 3:09 PM

No love for Stephen's limerick?

“There once was a man named Barack
Whose reelection came as a shock
He raised taxes I pay
And turned marriage gay
And now he’s coming after your glock.”

It made me laugh, thanks for posting it, shamskygirl.

I like the bit with Dustin Hoffmon, especially seeing Stephen's part in the movie that got cut. I though it was an enjoyable twist on the standard interview by someone plugging their movie.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 12:05 AM

peeayebee, thank you thank you thank you for that transcript. Still so funny!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 10:03 AM

I'd already heard about the shenanigans in the VA state senate, but I really enjoyed listening to the audience's outraged reaction to such underhanded tactics.

I've seen Lincoln; I enjoyed seeing that clip again. It reminded me that I reaaally need to work 'woe be to you, sir' into my discourse more often.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 5:31 PM

I'd already heard about the shenanigans in the VA state senate, but I really enjoyed listening to the audience's outraged reaction to such underhanded tactics.

Who could blame them? The Republicans today act like a few shades above evil. And the Montpelier School Board is a shade above nuts with their proposal to arm and train their custodians for school protection. What could go wrong there?

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:05 PM

At least if they shoot anyone, it'll be their job to clean up the mess. So... karma.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 8:20 PM

I used to love it when Sally Field guested years ago on Carson and Letterman. She hasn't lost her touch.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 6:22 AM

Suuure Fox News. You'd have done a bang up job of grilling Hillary Clinton over the Benghazi attacks. That is, if you ever had the guts to invite her on any of your shows. By which point, she'd be grilling your balls on a Weber grill.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

I love the cleverness of pointing out that the French know it’s Adam and Eve, not Adam and Yves.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 10:50 AM

Tavi whatshername struck me as thoroughly charming and authentically teenaged. I fully support any guest who can convince Stephen to model puppies (omg:puppeh!)while wearing skinny jeans.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:09 PM

Tavi is cool, but I thought she was cooler when she didn't look so much like Taylor Swift... can't wait to read Stephen's piece from the point of view of a 48-year-old dad!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 1:40 PM

Yeah, "You're NOT wearing that" is the only article I'd read in any fashion magazine. Especially one aimed at teenaged girls.

I also liked Tavi's joke about having a sense of responsibility to the training bra companies. As I understand it a majority of the readership of magazines aimed at teenaged girls are usually preteens and girls in their early teens.

Sighandeyeroll

Sighandeyeroll

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

Tavi is cool, but I thought she was cooler when she didn't look so much like Taylor Swift... can't wait to read Stephen's piece from the point of view of a 48-year-old dad!

I was thinking Sandy from Grease. Very 1950s with ponytail and bangs.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2013 @ 1:47 PM

I dunno, I am seriously coveting that Apollo rocket sweater she was wearing, and I'm no teenager.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 4:49 AM

I used to know Tavi and she is a really cool girl. We're from the same home town of Oak Park, IL and she has been blowing up for a few years now, and it's a little surreal for me because I used to date her sister. I was super impressed when she showed up on Jimmy Fallon, but I find her appearance on TCR a much more fitting honor! :)

Edited by Cerpintaxt815, Jan 28, 2013 @ 4:50 AM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2013 @ 4:36 PM

Oh cool, six degrees to Stephen. My dormmate my freshman year of college was from OakPark.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 6:10 AM

Stephen telling North Korea that the U.S. is really not that into them is so adorable. It's like they so hard to say. "Look at me, look at me!"

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 9:20 AM

Haha, Stephen's talk with North Korea was great! "We loathe you, we're just not 'in-loathe' with you."

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2013 @ 8:58 PM

I loved The Word so much I can't stand it. Stephen nailed it by calling out those idiots for their screw it mentality.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 6:11 AM

Stephen cracking up off character. BWAH! I liked that Cliff Sloan had an answer to everything Stephen threw at him, especially when Stephen thought he had checked and mated him.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 30, 2013 @ 8:58 AM

I loved the interview with Cliff Sloan. And I cracked up when Stephen suggested the States propose a new Amendment: Be it known, you’re not the boss of me.

I also enjoyed the interview with George Saunders. It was interesting hearing them discuss short stories and writing. So funny when Stephen told him he should write even shorter stories. “Why not encode it in DNA and inject it into my mind? Take a short story and carve it on the head of a bullet and just fire it into my skull.”

Saunders: You have a novelist tendency, for sure.
Stephen: Are you saying I don’t know when to shut up?

purist

purist

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 4:16 AM

Stephen telling North Korea that the U.S. is really not that into them is so adorable.

Yeah, that was awesome. However, I thought the Gitmo segment was a complete bust. I find no humour whatsoever in that whole appalling situation.

khyber

khyber

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 11:17 AM

How could neither one of them mention the Stephen and Melinda Gates Foundation?

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 31, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

I loved Stephen's report on the KKK and his recommendations for a new outfit. Yes, I do believe a lot would like the new outfit better.