The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23954 replies to this topic

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 10:28 AM

Although I've read lots of interviews and profiles on Kluwe, this is the first time I've ever seen him live. He's got a super appealing dorkiness about him that surprised and delighted me. I don't understand the knit cap and sandals combo (Climate contradiction! We're at war: pick a side!), but he seemed to be enjoying the it-gettiness of it all.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 10:31 AM

If you have't seen the original letter Chris Kluwe wrote - here is a link to the Deadspin article

Edited by M. Darcy, Jan 9, 2013 @ 10:31 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 1:14 PM

The Kluwe interview was very enjoyable. He's obviously an It-Getter. I love when Stephen started miming slapping football players’ butts out of the way, and even motorboating one.

I'm impressed that TCR has managd to keep "Cheating Death" funny after all this time.

I guess there are health, fitness, and drug stories every day, so he's got tons of material to work with. It was great when he played the clip of the reporter talking about the German study about anger increasing your life span, and the moment Stephen started to say, "Yes, a German study about anger..." the audience laughed, knowing what the joke was. Same thing with the second story about brain function improving when youthful blood is introduced. BTW, I loved the graphic of Bela Lugosi as a doctor.

I also appreciated the story about the postal service. So many people bitch and moan about rate increases, when it's far less than a dollar to send a letter miles away. Stephen talking about a letter going from Miami to Seattle in a couple of days, and adding, "For that you want 46 cents? You go to hell!" was hilarious.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 3:14 PM

I enjoyed Chris Kluwe's letter so much ('lustful cockmonster' is my new favorite phrase!) that I liked him on FB about a month ago. At that time, I think he was at just over 1,000 likes. Checked today and there are over 4,000! The Colbert bump??!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 3:33 PM

Nice segment on Kathyrn Bigelow. It's disheartening, to say the least, that 100-plus years into the medium, certain people need to be reminded that movies are not real life

It's not that people think movies are real but when you advertise a movie being based on actual events you better get those actual events right and not mislead people into thinking something happened that didn't happen.

Warms the cockles of my heart to see a football/video-gaming/obviously well-educated and erudite player

There are people who would argue a kicker/punter barely qualifies as a football player. In all seriousness, the dumb and/or violent ones get most of the attention but there are alot of smart, nice, funny ones. Heck, a few years ago Myron Rolle put off entering the NFL because he won a scholarship to Oxford.

KerleyQ

KerleyQ

Stalker

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 5:45 PM

I enjoyed Chris Kluwe's letter so much ('lustful cockmonster' is my new favorite phrase!) that I liked him on FB about a month ago

For anyone who is interested, after the first letter, he was given some feedback that it would have been "more powerful" without the language, so he wrote a second column and replaced all of the profanity. It's equally awesome in its own way

I really respect both him and Brandon Ayanbadejo for taking a stand like they have. I think it can be nothing but a good thing when two pro football players speak up for marriage equality. And I think it's cool that, other than a few ignorant jackasses, they haven't gotten a lot of ridiculous "oh you must be gay!" idiocy thrown back at them for it, but instead have gotten a lot of positive feedback and praise for their very public stance.

I think he was great last night, and I love that TCR had him on. That's probably one of my favorite TCR interviews in recent memory.

azazel

azazel

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 5:48 PM

I haven't seen last night's show yet, but I heard Kluwe was on. I'll have to catch it when it appears On Demand.

For those of you who are interested, here's a profile on Kluwe from Sports Illustrated. He's a really interesting guy -- definitely doesn't fit the stereotype of your average football player.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Jan 9, 2013 @ 7:26 PM

Nice segment on Kathyrn Bigelow. It's disheartening, to say the least, that 100-plus years into the medium, certain people need to be reminded that movies are not real life

It's not that people think movies are real but when you advertise a movie being based on actual events you better get those actual events right and not mislead people into thinking something happened that didn't happen.

I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree with it. Nobody ever said this film was a documentary, and plenty of movies "based on actual events" play fast and loose with the facts. The rub here is that the government is scared to death that people might think—gasp—that we actually waterboarded people for information in the past, especially when a film can confront them with just how ugly that is. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 12:28 AM

What's interesting is that Yosemite Sam seems far more reasonable than LaPierre, Apario, and Alex Jones combined. I love how Stephen can slam someone or something just by sounding supportive. Calling Wayne LaPierre "fucked in the head" was brilliant.

McNaw the gluten free beaver might be one of the best characters to appear beside Stephen that isn't Stephen. I loled at the beaver's presence.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 9:05 AM

Looks like Kathryin Bigelow got the opposite of the Colbert Bump. She didn't appear on the show....and she didn't get an Oscar nomination this morning.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 10:10 AM

Does that make it a Colbert BOOOM!?

I thought Peter Grosz didn't work at TCR anymore. Didn't we give him a send off a little while ago?

I got the feeling maybe they had to re-do the McGnaw segment. The audience seemed a bit primed. (Though it certainly would not have taken much priming to chant Eat Wood! Eat Wood!: Awesome.)

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:16 AM

Chris Kluwe's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me Segment was pretty great as well.

Heck, a few years ago Myron Rolle put off entering the NFL because he won a scholarship to Oxford.

I just googled him [shallow] He is genetically gifted in many ways. Rowr.

I loved the Cheating Death segment.

Edited by monty9, Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:17 AM.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

Hahha, I just read Kluwe's "clean" version of his letter. I think BEAUTIFULLY UNIQUE SPARKLEPONY will be my new insult du jour.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 2:25 PM

I really enjoyed last night's Neil Shubin interview, what he was actually able to say, anyway. Which brings me to one of the very few complaints I have about Stephen: the way he interrupts his guests. If it's a politician spouting some BS partyline talking points, fine, go ahead and be rude. The guest probably deserves it. But when it's someone like Shubin, who actually has something interesting to say, shaddup already, Stephen!

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 10, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

I see your point, but I'm not sure I agree with it. Nobody ever said this film was a documentary, and plenty of movies "based on actual events" play fast and loose with the facts. The rub here is that the government is scared to death that people might think—gasp—that we actually waterboarded people for information in the past, especially when a film can confront them with just how ugly that is. Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Right.
The problem is, again, the media. I haven't seen her first film, I have no intention to see this one. But I heard enough about it and I believe it was mostly hyperbole. The frenzy created by the media (NY Times, this time! I don't even know about TV News) was annoying from the beginning. It is the "ballon boy" syndrome.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

I couldn't really enjoy that opening segment, because all I could think about was "that guy looks seriously troubled and needs help".

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 12:17 AM

Just noticed the double post.

Edited by EmperorJon, Jan 12, 2013 @ 5:08 PM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 8:38 AM

The Jack Lew quote as squiggles was my favorite bit. I always love the "visual approximation" photos they do when running a phone conversation or reading a quote and I love the way they played with their own format.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 9:09 AM

That was my favorite part, too. If he's confirmed Treasury Secretary, how soon before we see money with his name on it?

I also loved the graphic of the sofa that guy had sex with. There was a black bar superimposed on the sofa for its privacy. Roadside sofa-boning is wrong!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 9:32 AM

I dunno; I think whatever consenting adults and furniture get up to on their own time is nobody's beeswax.

Is it just me, or does hearing Aimee Mann sing make anybody else instantly depressed? (I blame Magnolia. Haven't liked her since.)

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 1:53 PM

If he's confirmed Treasury Secretary, how soon before we see money with his name on it?

I wouldn't get too excited, Timothy Geithner had a crazy signature as well but once he became Treasure Secretary he changed it so it would be legible.

I dunno; I think whatever consenting adults and furniture get up to on their own time is nobody's beeswax.

In their own home, sure. The problem is that guy was doing it in public, hence his arrest.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Jan 11, 2013 @ 1:55 PM.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 3:26 PM

If you have't seen the original letter Chris Kluwe wrote - here is a link to the
Deadspin [color="#8b0000"]article[/color]

I'm a little behind here, but may I say, Kudos to Kluwe. Never heard of him (don't follow the NFL very much) but he's my new favourite player. An "it-getter" for sure.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 4:17 PM

guy was doing it in public

What, you never heard of performance art? First Amendment! Freedom!!!!11

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 4:30 PM

If he'd been doing it with a gun, that would have been different. But there is no constitutional protection for couches.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 5:37 PM

That couch story reminded me of a story line from Nip/Tuck where a new doctor in the practice liked to have sex with furniture. That's the first time I'd never heard of that. I wish it had been the last.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 1:50 PM

Is it just me, or does hearing Aimee Mann sing make anybody else instantly depressed? (I blame Magnolia. Haven't liked her since.)

Oh definitely, but I blame "Voices Carry" back in '85.

Also, I loved how cranky (real or feigned?) Stephen got with Benjamin Gibbard for spoiling Aimee Mann's surprise appearance.

Edited by dustdevil, Jan 12, 2013 @ 1:51 PM.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 2:29 PM

I know Aimee Mann is a popular singer/songwriter for some people. I know who she is. I remember Til Tuesday. My take on it is she is not up there with Elvis Costello where if he comes out people - generally - know who he is. Not everyone, but he is recognizable. He has a very distinct voice.

I would not have known who the woman singing was if they hadn't stressed it. Her voice isn't recognizable to me. If she had just come out with no introduction, she would have just been some unknown person on the stage. I think a "surprise" appearance would have gone over well with some people. I don't know if regular people - in general - would have a clue.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:38 PM

Caught up and man so many awesome and funny moments from Tues, Wed, and Thur shows.

“A lot of these couches are asking you to sleep with them. You slut!” HEE!

“Where the white women at?” Blazing Saddles clip FTW!
“I love white men. I sleep with one every night – that I know of.”
“Was stepping down to spend more time with his forehead.”
"Did he start drawing Charlie Brown and stop at the hair." BWAH!
And it reminded me how giggly delighted Jon was and how he really really wanted Lew to be SoT for this and other reasons. It's too bad he will probably fix his handwriting as I would treasure owning a bill with that incredibly odd sigy.

And going back in the week:

“That is strangely familiar.”

“I want to go skateboarding. LOLZ Twitter Skinny Jeans.” LMAO!

"And for that you want 46 cents? Go to hell."
“’Old.’ Thanks Skelly”..."Old" "That's familiar."
"When Germans express their anger, others tend to live shorter lives." LOLOL!

Did anyone else catch the intro words and Eleven Dark Thirty? Clever clever show!

I think one of the best segments was the Citadel segment. I really love that TCR can focus on things like this because O.M.G. I can't believe that kind of crazy is happening in our country.

"Finally read your 700 page manifesto on how the CIA is working with foreign bankers to rig the results on The Voice."

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 5:12 PM

I soooo want Stephen to cover this: White House turns down petition request to build a Death Star.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

The title and the 3rd point are perfection.