The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23954 replies to this topic

berhbabybern

berhbabybern

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

Huzzah to Michael Stipe for continuing to appear on the shelf. I love him for that.

maatkare

maatkare

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

I hate when Stephen sings...he always seems to be trying so damn hard...that he sucks all the joy out of the music.

I guess when Sondheim tells you personally you have a good voice, you sing all you damn please but yes, sometimes he's out of his depth. Overall I don't mind the singing even when it verges on "I'm gonna just shoehorn myself into the performer's musical style." Back in ye stone age talk show host Dick Cavett would always seem to have to jump in with his guests. Even as a kid I remember cringing watching him try to scat with Sarah Vaughan. While he was definitely off-key with Audra (the whole thing felt super-rushed like they were running out of time and raced it in in 2 minutes) I loved his collaboration with the Costellos and last night's Drummer Boy.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:03 PM

Huzzah to Michael Stipe for continuing to appear on the shelf. I love him for that

I'll add my love to TCR's costume department who had Stiped dressed up in the same clothes as his original appearance.

On a semi-related note Michael Stipe made a surprise appearance later on in the 12-12-12 concert for huricane Sandy relief and did a duet of "Losing my religion" with Chris Martin.

when a guy spikes a girl's' drink, does he bother with sweet talk or just wait for her to pass out?

As I understand it they try to flirt with her first. Why risk doing something illegal when you may be able to get the desired results legally? I could go on but I'll just say we obviously have differing opinions about that song and that's fine.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

I really like Stephen's singing, but agree that sometimes that duets don't work out. I think most of that has to do with limited practice time (especially limited time finding a song/way to sing it that fits both Stephen and the other singer) and the fact that a lot of much better singers than Stephen (or ones who are more famous for their singing than he is, anyway) don't always do that well singing live. Being deaf in one ear probably isn't helping, either.

But if he were to ever release an album of good (read: in my taste) songs that were in his range and style (whether they be duets or not), that would make me a happy camper. The year it came out, I listed to his Christmas Special album frequently far past Christmas.

Shprintze

Shprintze

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:46 PM

Just read that Mandy Patinkin is a prostate cancer survivor. Jeez, can we have a blue blazoned prostate cancer awareness month at the very least?

jehan

jehan

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:45 PM

My first post on this board, although I have lurked for years.

Loved the Downton Abbey bits. Brilliant.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 12:36 AM

I have never watched Breaking Bad, but I would totally watch Breaking Abbey. I can't believe they got those actors to film that. And Hugh Bonneville should not do goatees.

Mary Jane Fields

Mary Jane Fields

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 2:54 AM

I can't believe they got those actors to film that.

It never ceases to amaze me who Colbert is able to get on his show and what he is able to get them to agree to do. Everybody loves Stephen (except for everyone over at Fakes News). He rules and that is all.

Edited by Mary Jane Fields, Dec 14, 2012 @ 2:55 AM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 5:45 AM

Downton Abbey doing Breaking Bad had to have been the weirdest thing I've ever seen on TCR, and that's saying something.

And I think I may have said it before, but Sister Simone Campbell rocks!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

As a fan of both Downton Abbey and Breaking Bad, I was made very very happy. That was so great.

And Hugh Bonneville should not do goatees.

Since you don't watch BB you wouldn't know this, but when the main character "broke bad" he grew the goatee, so Hugh was in character. Seeing him with the facial hair and porkpie hat was a Christmas gift.

I think we all knew the Super Pac money would go to charity, but what a wonderful surprise to see it go via the Ham Rove Memorial Fund. Perfect.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

Best episode of Downton Abbey ever! Even if it was Breaking Bad instead. Also the best DA parody since the Children in Need one after the first series.

My favorite visual was Spider with his calling card and tea cup. Favorite line: As Byron said, mo' money, mo' quandries.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 9:26 AM

This week was even better than Hobbit week! I think I hurt my ribs I was laughing so hard at Breaking Abbey.

Good King Wenceslas and Happy Xmas (War is Over) are available in Itunes (with the money going to Sandy Relief). I have lost track of the number of times I have listened to Good King Wenceslas . Though, I am still having trouble finding Happy Xmas in Itunes(maybe it isn't availabe yet).

Though, seeing Sean Lennon singing his parents' song made me very emotional (and feeling a little old). That is the perfect way to end the year.

Why isn't Stephen and the show winning all the Emmys??

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Hugh Bonneville should not do goatees.

Oh, Phantom, you and I shall disagree on this. Hugh Bonneville can do anything with facial hair his heart desires. I loved putting poor Thomas into the Desolving Barrels. So, so great. I did miss the Dowager Countess laundering all the cash, but you can't have everything...

Speaking of money laundering, I was also delighted to learn where all the superpac money was going. Good on ye, Ham Rove!

Edited by attica finch, Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:01 AM.

GothamCity

GothamCity

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

Breaking Abbey was the greatest thing I've ever seen. Fantastic.

bybrandy

bybrandy

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

That was truly, truly awesome! The calling card bit was my favorite! But it was all really awesome and absurd. Earl BLUE! That made me absurdly happy!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

It was amazing, but now I really want to see the Breaking Bad cast do a Downton Abbey parody.

I think Spider was played by Kelly Ripa's husband.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 3:18 PM

I don't watch Downton Abbey(not my cup of tea, no pun intended) nor Breaking Bad(learned about it too late) but would gladly see Breaking Abbey.

Who knew Ham Rove was such a softie and give away all his money like that.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 3:43 PM

That distribution of the SuperPAC money was perfect. Perfect. I had expected Stephen to give it mostly to a veteran's fund, which would have been fine,and I'm glad a large portion went to that, but to focus some of the money on continued campaign finance awareness and reform, and include some long-term recognition of Ham Rove in the process? Brilliant!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

I was happy to see Jeff Tweedy for the carol. He's a darn good egg.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

Maybe it is because I am unfamiliar with Downton Abbey and quite familiar with Breaking Bad, but I thought that that skit was downright awful. Were there specific Downton Abbey references that I didn't get? I hope that there were several, since a lot of the "jokes" had nothing to do with Breaking Bad. The only references that I caught were the opening, the suits, and color blue; the rest was just an utterly generic story of people in the drug business.

WhatDoYouKnow

WhatDoYouKnow

Fanatic

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

Maybe it is because I am unfamiliar with Downton Abbey and quite familiar with Breaking Bad, but I thought that that skit was downright awful. Were there specific Downton Abbey references that I didn't get?

I have seen the first two seasons of Downton Abbey and none of Breaking Bad, and I thought it was really funny. I can't really think of any references, except the implication that it was Thomas's (the young man's) fault (Thomas is a bad egg), and Thomas blaming Bates (he's tried to pin a few things on Bates).

They were very much their characters (minus the slang references, obviously), especially Carson, so that's probably why I thought it was funny.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 8:37 PM

I watch both shows, but I would have thought that the skit would be funny even if you'd never seen DA since the skit's about the incongruity of very proper Englishmen getting into the drug business via tea. I think the skit would be less funny if you didn't know BB because of the jokes about Earl Blue, Lord Grantham with a goatee and hat, dissolving the dead bodies in the barrels, Thomas blaming Mr. Bates, etc. I'm sure the huge pleasure I felt was partly due to knowing these British actors. If I wasn't familiar with their characters, some of the humor would be lost. Heck, I just loved seeing Lord Grantham yell, "You motherfucker!"

mona kane

mona kane

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Last night's show was perfection...Ham Rove, Breaking Abbey, Sister Simone, and they ended it with my favorite Christmas song. Fantastic! Downton Abbey and Breaking Bad are my favorite shows, so the skit was hilarious to me. Great way to end the year, Stephen.

bojanglesthe4th

bojanglesthe4th

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

As a watcher of both shows, that skit was absolutely made of WIN. How on earth did Colbert get those castmembers together for this somewhat random endeavor? I don't know and I don't care, because Breaking Abbey was hilarious.

Awesome that there will now be a room somewhere with a Ham Rove plaque. His legacy will live on forever!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 10:37 PM

How on earth did Colbert get those castmembers together for this somewhat random endeavor?

They seem to have been in NYC all week doing press for season three of Downton Abbey. Besides the guys, Elizabeth McGovern, the actress who plays Daisy & the one married to Bates were all on The View the other day, and I saw them somewhere else too.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

I don't watch DA or BB, and I thought the skit was funny. It's similar to how I'd never watched Bill O'Reilly's show but I thought TCR was funny right from the very first episode. TCR's first episode was based on punditry ad absurdim, and the DA/BB skit was a mashup of period drama/drug business drama. I've seen enough punditry, period drama, and drug stories on TV to get the joke even when I haven't watched the specific stuff being referenced, though I figured I was missing some of the details.

Edited by possibilities, Dec 15, 2012 @ 1:28 AM.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 1:26 AM

I watch both Downton and Breaking Bad, so I was screaming with laughter over that spoof. Inspired references to both shows. And I agree, I want to see the Breaking Bad cast doing a Downton parody.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

I've never seen Downton Abbey but a big fan of Breaking Bad. I thought the entire bit was genius. I about died when Spider put is pinky in the tea and then the teacup for testing it. Just perfect.

Also, re Colbert's singing. I know he loves music and loves to sing, but I also think he's being partly in character as a narcissistic bombast who believes he IS great at everything he does, even if he's not. I think it's a bit of both the real Stephen and Stephen Colbert of The Colbert Report.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

What I didn't like about it is that it had pretty much nothing to do with Breaking Bad. Other than the opening music, all that was left was stuff that one could have gotten by hearing someone else describe a Breaking Bad t-shirt that he briefly saw. I tried to chalk up the rest to being references to Downton Abbey that I simply did not get, but it just descended into complete bullshit. I might have chuckled a little had the skit either involved Breaking Bad more explicitly or had not mentioned it by name. As it was, I found it to be significantly worse than the Homeland parody that Saturday Night Live did.

It would not have taken much more effort to make something even mildly related to the show beyond the color blue. Basically, whatever humor there could have been with characters like those saying those lines and performing those actions was completely ruined for me.

SDcat2009

SDcat2009

Stalker

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

I have seen every episode of Breaking Bad. I thought it hit the high points on a superficial level, as I assume it hit the Downton Abbey superficial high points which is all skit of that kind needs to make the comedy out of the melding of the two disparate worlds.

Heisenberg was easily recognizable.The cooking of the tea. The meeting in the desert. Heisenberg and the butler (Mike or Jesse?) destroying the bodies in the barrels with acid.

It was all that was needed to make it hilarious, in this viewer's opinion. If only they could have figured a way to get Gus in there but hey we can't have everything!

Edited by SDcat2009, Dec 15, 2012 @ 10:57 AM.