The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23955 replies to this topic

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 4:19 PM

The only question is - did it happen in time for tonight's show?

Oh man, I'll bet Stephen & his writers are beside themselves with glee as a result of that! Can't wait to see his reaction. And maybe we'll get a new SuperPAC ad!

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:20 PM

OMG - that is crazy news about Stephen leading in the polls!

It'll definitely be fodder for lots of funny stories so that's always good!

I finally caught up with last week's shows and they were all great. I will say that I think the best part was Martin's perfect comeback to the pphht comment about Benedict's role being better and sexier as the dragon, saying "Hobbits can hold their own". Aw yeah! Also, those huge feet, yo!

ETA: There's a splendid write-up of an interview Jon and Stephen did. It's absolutely wonderful. There are several wonderful points about Stephen, including the fact that he gave up an opportunity to go see Fellowship of the Ring to do the Al Sharpton interview. That's one of my favorite all time moments as I said in the TDS thread and I feel a bit guilty knowing now that he had to give up his dear LOTR to do it.

Another funny story is the dream one regarding his wife and ghosts. LOL!!!!

Edited by happybumblebee1, Dec 10, 2012 @ 10:46 PM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

Great that Stephen is putting the pressure on Nikki Haley to appoint him senator. But we already know she's going to choose someone else. But it'll be fun seeing him try. I'm sure Stephen knows more about South Carolina than does the governor.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 8:30 AM

What a lovely surprise to have Elvis Costello join his wife & of course Stephen had to sing with his old friend EC.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 9:18 AM

I never knew that they were married - I just figured it was a nice surprise for the audience. That was amazing -its really too bad that you can't buy it on Itunes.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

I appreciated that Stephen and Elvis used the original lyrics,"we'll have to muddle through some how", for the bit they sang.

pairafids

pairafids

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

I appreciated that Stephen and Elvis used the original lyrics,"we'll have to muddle through some how", for the bit they sang.

What's the newer version? I also thought Stephen's mic was a little quiet in the mix, but overall it sounded very nice.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 2:26 PM

The other version replaces that line with "hang a shining star upon the highest bough." Thanks, Wikipedia!

Edited by NicoleMN6, Dec 11, 2012 @ 2:28 PM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

NicoleMN6 beat me to it! The revised version also uses "from now on our troubles will be out of sight" in place of the original "next year all our troubles will be out sight." But I don't S&E did that bit.

I didn't see it mentioned yet and can't at the moment fetch a link, but friend of the show Sir Ian McKellan just announced that he has prostate cancer, and has for several years.

ETA: Here's the Hollywood Reporter story.

Edited by Alexandria Bay, Dec 11, 2012 @ 3:27 PM.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 3:31 PM

I'm so looking forward to tonight's show.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Man, remember back in the day when McCain was likable? But thanks for the link, designing1.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

I didn't see it mentioned yet and can't at the moment fetch a link, but friend of the show Sir Ian McKellan just announced that he has prostate cancer, and has for several years.

Fuck, that's depressing.

I think McCain was trying to be funny there, but he came up well short. Nonetheless, he seemed to have served up a big, fat one for Stephen.

I'm still hopeful for the inevitable Monkey on the Lam.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

Fuck, that's depressing.

I thought it was a little hopeful, actually, especially since Sir Ian emphasized how it can be managed.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

I love the dress Audra McDonald wore on tonight's show - color and style. Does anyone know who makes it?

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 5:48 AM

Toilet-boobs. BWAH! That sounds like a perfect description of Boehner and the Republicans.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I love the dress Audra McDonald wore on tonight's show

Me, too-- yowza! (Sorry - no help on the designer.) I'm not terribly fond of the song they did. I mean, they were as playful as you can be, but the lyrics are still too date-rapey for my taste.

In honor of Malcolm Gladwell, I've blown-dry my hair upwards this morning. Solidarnosc!

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 10:28 AM

I still like the song, but I don't think Audra's voice works with it.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 11:11 AM

I watched the Elvis Costello thing because I just love Elvis Costello. And I loved Stephen singing with him - in the past. The christmas song, not so much. Stephen just did not sound right to me. Besides, I really hate christmas songs

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 1:13 PM

Yeah. That rendition of "Baby it's cold outside" didn't really work for me, either. Stephen's timing wasn't too great (he seemed to be coming in too early, here and there), and the song ended up sounding slightly rushed.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 2:33 PM

I thought he was deliberately coming in earlier than normal because they had less time to complete the song. Audra did sound a bit too opera-y for the number, but it was delightful nonetheless.

DXD562

DXD562

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

I thought the first time I heard the song about three decades ago that it was creepy and date-rapey, but back then everyone said I was being too sensitive. Glad to see public opinion is finally starting to catch up. If you haven't, closely listen to the whole song, there are four or five lines that are totally creepy.

That said, I loved when Stephen and Ms. McDonald started dancing together! That bit of sweetness made me forget the creepiness.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 3:11 PM

If you haven't, closely listen to the whole song, there are four or five lines that are totally creepy

I'd suggest looking up the lyrics online too.

designing1

designing1

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

I knew the lyrics, but looked them up anyway. I see the lines which, taken out of context, can be perceived as "date-rapey." Context matters, though, as does the year this was written. In 1944, a "lady" would have been expected to play hard to get, and really, that's how this song has always read to me -- see the lines: "I ought to say no, no, no sir, at least I'm gonna say that I tried." "Hey, what's in this drink" is her preparing to blame the booze for what she knows she wants to do anyway (and "Been hoping that you'd drop in" indicates she showed up at his place unexpectedly); when a guy spikes a girl's' drink, does he bother with sweet talk or just wait for her to pass out? The song is also performed as a mutual flirtation, with both parties agreeing at the end that she might as well stay because "it's cold outside" -- unless that's the stuff in the drink talking.

To each their own interpretation, but I will say this: I hate when Stephen sings. He has a perfectly nice voice, but he always seems to be trying so damn hard (especially when he's attempting harmony) that he sucks all the joy out of the music.

Edited by designing1, Dec 12, 2012 @ 6:46 PM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Dec 12, 2012 @ 8:29 PM

I'm completely with designing1 wrt to the song. Also, "Think of my life long sorrow/If you caught pneumonia and died" makes me laugh.

Hobbit week followed by musical guest week...I'm ready for the 3 week break. Not that I didn't enjoy Sir Ian and Martin Freeman, but enough. And I've never enjoyed music weeks.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 3:32 AM

hate when Stephen sings. He has a perfectly nice voice, but he always seems to be trying so damn hard (especially when he's attempting harmony) that he sucks all the joy out of the music.

I wish he would stop always trying to harmonize. I don't think he's a good enough singer to do it well, so why keep trying, especially when singing with a pro? He has a pleasant voice and should just sing the song and enjoy it rather than concentrating so hard on something that (imo) is out of his comfort zone. ITA that he never seems to be enjoying himself and having fun with the music and its not relaxing to watch him (imo) struggle.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 5:12 AM

I had no idea I would LOVE the Mandy Patinkin interview the way I did. i really had no impression of the guy one way or another before he started talking. But that was awesome. I don't know whether he didn't know about Stephen's character, or whether he didn't care, but either way I just really liked how he went for being serious and passionate and I loved what he said about how an act of violence is not going to resolve the conflict. It's obvious, but the whole world acts like it isn't true. And in an era when earnestness and seriousness and idealism are out of favor, and no one is supposed to do anything without irony, cynicism, or self-deprecation, I really liked seeing him just flat out not pander. It's also the first time since Jane Fonda that Stephen seemed to be at a total loss for what to do.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

I'm dissapointed that Stephen made only a passing reference to the Ikea monkey. But that was made up with the big slams at both O'Reilly and McCain.

And Fox News is a despicable piece of shit for their bullying act against the New York mosque. But, hey, we're not really surprised.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

I can't believe I was even worried that Mandy wouldn't sing. I should have more trust in Stephen. I think last night's song was my favorite performance of the week.

This was last night's tweet about the show "My guest is HOMELAND's Mandy Patinkin. I'll tell him "My name is Stephen Colbert. You killed my Sunday nights. Prepare to die!" "

Rein

Rein

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 11:04 AM

So much love for that Mandy Patinkin interview! He did the voice-over for a Colbert Superpac ad so I'd like to think he knew about the show and the character.

I bet if it weren't Christmas week we would have gotten a Sondheim duet! Shoot.

Shprintze

Shprintze

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 13, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I was looking forward to Mandy Day and boy was I not surprised. Thanks to Stephen, I will have the picture of Saul singing Life's a bowl of butter" to Evil Estes for the finale - I fear he will need the power of BROADWAY! Then, his apolitical, passionate cry for more words, less guns - now even "Stephen" can't argue with that. Finally, I knew he would sing. As a Jew, I admit, I would have loved a cover of Stephen and Jon's Hanukah duet, but as a music lover who appreciates the more elegant Christmas songs (okay, I do long that Drummer Boy song too but I guess David Bowie wasn't available), I love Good King Wenceslas and Mandy has the perfect voice for it- so rich.

Just have to add, I has the enormous pleasure of meeting Mandy Patankin while waiting for a concert of his. (Lest you think him vain, the only entrance door was next to the box office and we happened to be very very early.) He took time to speak with every one who approached him, took pictures, autographs, etc. I was so star struck I could barely ask for a photo. He grabbed me round the shoulder and I have the picture on my desk. Too bad I was so lame because he was one of my favorite stars - I had seen him in the original run of Evita. Hoh-boy!)