The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23950 replies to this topic

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 11:12 AM

Is this sword a different one from the one Viggo dropped off back in the day?

I believe so. I think that sword was Aragon's sword (which probably has an offical name - Andúril I think) which is now on display at the Newseum in DC (as part of an exhibit on Stephen). I think the one he showed yesterday was Sting which is Bilbo Baggins sword.

Edited by M. Darcy, Dec 4, 2012 @ 11:27 AM.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 1:08 PM

Well. As a non-fan of all things Tolkien all I can say is, at least it isn't a week of musical guests.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

Gandalf would beat Magneto because there's no metal on Gandalf to turn against him... and presumably he could use his own powers to repel any other metal that Magneto hurls at him?

So Gandalf is gay.... And Dumbledore is also gay. The crossover slashfics just write themselves! Is Stephen also a "Harry Potter" fan?

Edited by NicoleMN6, Dec 4, 2012 @ 1:17 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I am not into Tolkien, but I enjoy Stephen's passion for it. I don't know how I'll feel by the end of the week, but last night was fun for me.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 1:27 PM

Why do all the swords have names? Are they animate in some way? Or is it more akin to when I named the lady inside my GPS who tells me where to go?

Yeah, not Tolkien-literate over here. But you knew that by now. I trust you won't hold it against me.

My fiance is currently fuming because he believes that he's a bigger Tolkien geek. Oh dear...clearly we need to go to a taping of TCR.

One, it's never a bad idea to go to a taping, unless you refuse to give us a report. ;) Two, I don't think fandom is a zero-sum situation. I'd advise deep breaths...and a taping visit!

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

Why do all the swords have names? Are they animate in some way? Or is it more akin to when I named the lady inside my GPS who tells me where to go?

I think it's more akin to the way a man might name his penis. Who tells him where to go.

happybumblebee1

happybumblebee1

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 3:10 PM

I think it's more akin to the way a man might name his penis. Who tells him where to go.

I legit hurt something laughing so hard. Sting indeed!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 3:16 PM

:::bowing at Alexandria Bay:: Well played indeed!

FartyPants

FartyPants

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 3:19 PM

Why do all the swords have names? Are they animate in some way?

Because its cool damit!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:54 PM

Gandalf would beat Magneto because there's no metal on Gandalf to turn against him... and presumably he could use his own powers to repel any other metal that Magneto hurls at him

But that's the weaker Magneto that the movies protrayed. In the comics Magneto can control a person with just the trace amount of metal already present inside a person's body.

I'm looking forward to finding out which dwarf is really Gandolf's favorite. And I liked that Ian McKellen kissed Stephen's hand at the end of the interview and Stephen immediately kissed his hand as return in a sign of mutual respect/admiration.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Dec 4, 2012 @ 4:54 PM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

My fiance is currently fuming because he believes that he's a bigger Tolkien geek. Oh dear...clearly we need to go to a taping of TCR.

Yes, indeed you both should go. Trust me, it's a blast, and so's Stephen - who LUUUUUUVS it when you show him enthusiasm (reeeeally trust me on this one!).

NickCarraway

NickCarraway

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Gandalf would beat Magneto because there's no metal on Gandalf to turn against him

Actually, Gandalf obtains the sword Glamdring (Foe-hammer in Sindarin) during the events of The Hobbit. But even if Magneto could control the iron in his blood, Gandalf is the equivalent of an angel in human form, so he's got strength far beyond any mutant.

But I'm sure this is nothing you guys didn't know already.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

Next week, Stephen will be performing holiday duets all week long! The Comedy Central press release lists the songs Stephen and his guests will be performing, but I'm going to spoiler 'em (in order) at the bottom of this post in case you would prefer not to know ahead of time.

I guess I'll have to pull out my Xmas special DVD to hear my all-time favorite Stephen duet: his song with Jon, "Can I Interest You In Hanukkah?"

12/10 DIANA KRALL - Album, “Glad Rag Doll”
DIANA KRALL & STEPHEN - Performance
12/11 MALCOLM GLADWELL - Promoting “The Big New Yorker Book of Dogs”
AUDRA MCDONALD & STEPHEN - Performance
12/12 MANDY PATINKIN - “Homeland”, Showtime
MICHAEL STIPE & STEPHEN - Performance
12/13/12 SISTER SIMONE CAMPBELL - Executive Director, Network, A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby
JEFF TWEEDY, MAVIS STAPLES, SEAN LENNON & STEPHEN - Performance

Spoiler

Edited by loudfan, Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:18 PM.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

Is Stephen also a "Harry Potter" fan?

I'm guessing he is, from the show's opening the Monday after the release of the final book (he was reading the book avidly while the usual opening captions and camera changes happened, and the final camera change was to the entire audience reading as avidly!).

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 8:03 PM

MICHAEL STIPE & STEPHEN - Performance

Hey-ooo!

dogonfire

dogonfire

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 4, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Ooh, Audra McDonald is coming back.

It's also nice to see Michael Stipe back (although technically, he never left, did he?) But I guess that means Stephen won't be singing with Mandy Patinkin.

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

Yeah, I'd much rather hear Stephen do a duet with Mandy Patinkin.

I loved Martin Freeman getting snarky with Stephen about copyrights and poisoned coffee. And thank you, Stephen, for telling Martin to get back to filming Sherlock ASAP because we need to know what happened.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:44 AM

I'm going to hold out hope for some Mandy Patinkin singing. Or at least hold out hope that Stephen does the interview in full "Saul-beard' drag.

Re: the sword naming. Excalibur.
Plus a slew of named swords in historyand mythology.
It may still be a penis substitution, but it had a long and broad history (yeah, I said it) and is not exclusive to fantasy-scifi.

Peace_47

Peace_47

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:10 AM

I am not into Tolkien, but I enjoy Stephen's passion for it.

I agree. It's fun seeing stars like Stephen geek out and get excited about some piece of art/ fiction/ what have you because it's nice to see what captures the imagination of the people who capture ours. (Stars - they're just like us.) And while I'm not a Tolkien fan, I am a huge Sherlock fan, and so I loved that Martin Freeman interview and the fact that the show got a mention and a pretty positive reaction from both Stephen and the audience.

I was not crazy, though, about the "phone call with Kate Middleton" bit and wish they had not done it. All I could think of was a terribly sick young woman in the hospital right now, and making jokes at her expense did not strike me as funny. I know that she's in for even more scrutiny than ever before and she can only expect it, but it still felt cheap.

jjj

jjj

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 2:45 AM

Laughed myself sick at the AndroGel training video. And the 5 1/2 hours of "highly erotic scrapbooking."

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 5:50 AM

That AndroGel sounds like something Prescott Pharmaceuticals would create.

And I felt like Kate Middleton in the hospital over the media's over the top coverage of her pregnancy. Go cover real news MSM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 9:07 AM

I was uncomfortable with the Kate Middleton phone call, too. I'm sure Stephen's angle was more of a critique of media coverage rather than making fun of Kate, but I still found it insensitive and tasteless esp since it's a serious condition. However, the entire bit wasn't bad. We did get Princess Diana St. Fuquecamilla out of it. I also broke out in huge guffaws when he brought up his etiquette lessons and showed the clip of him making that face as he drank tea. I hurt myself laughing at that show.

I LOVED how he broke down the AndroGel side effects and then the instructional video. I also appreciated the mention he gave to drugs being washed into our water supplies. Of course it's not just what we wash down the sink, but what we pee into toilets. All these drugs and supplements that we're taking are entering our oceans, too.

Anyway, I got a nice chuckle out of him saying about women with Lo-O, "They may also get help from that guy’s moustache."

The interview with Freeman was a lot of fun. I've heard great things about Sherlock but haven't seen it. I may need to get the S1 DVD, unless it's available for viewing somewhere else. But it's nice to have intelligent, funny, quick-witted guests on who can hold their own with Stephen but not overdo it. Love when Freeman topped Stephen's Lego Legolas comment with Legless Lego Legolas.

keeptrying

keeptrying

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

And Freeman said it so smoothly! "Legless Lego Legolas." Say that ten times fast!

What a wonderful interview that was.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

That AndroGel sounds like something Prescott Pharmaceuticals would create.

I remember 'male enhancement' topicals as a plot point in an ep of Stephen's idol House many years ago. Patient's wife started growing chest hair, his kid hit puberty at, like, 7. Which, sure, teevee, but on the other hand, wash your hands with soap and water and keep away from all other people!

I'm no slouch in my admiration for Benedict Cumberbatch*, but for me, Martin Freeman is what makes Sherlock so awesome.

*Really -- is there a better marquee name than that? Fills it up and fun to say!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Yeah, I'd much rather hear Stephen do a duet with Mandy Patinkin.

I agree. They could do a new version of Can I Interest You in Hanukkah.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

Yes, indeed you both should go. Trust me, it's a blast, and so's Stephen - who LUUUUUUVS it when you show him enthusiasm (reeeeally trust me on this one!).

Definitely going to try to get tickets for January. Just don't know how Stephen would really react to someone Tolkien challenging him or challenging his Peter Jackson approved Tolkien nerd cred. But fiance is getting so irate about it. "I know the answer to all those questions he asked!" "The people that made the movie really messed up Tolkien, they don't know anything!" Cute and hilarious. Watch out Stephen!

I love that Martin Freeman is getting so much airtime in the US. Love his work (it's Love Actually viewing season. And Sherlock is amazing) and it was good to see Colbert not just fanboying over The Hobbit, but all aspects of Freeman. Sharp guy. "Legless Lego Legolas". Stephen was clearly being Stephen and not STEPHEN. And when that happens and he's not angry real Stephen? It's going to be great.

WTF is Andro-gel? It's not prescription based right? Aren't there laws against selling this type of crap? But it was a weak segment.

But that Kate segment was TERRIBLE. I had issues on so many levels. She drinks a cup of water it makes crazy headlines. Now she's in a hospital and people can't leave her alone? Come on.

Edited by maculae, Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:31 AM.

Cress

Cress

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 11:48 AM

King Arthur's sword is named Excalibur, so that may be where Tolkien got the idea.

maculae

maculae

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:09 PM

King Arthur's sword is named Excalibur, so that may be where Tolkien got the idea.

It's a European thing. Looking back into European mythology and epic poems (Beowulf) and literature. He even used the names of some swords from those stories and used them in his stories (Hrunting and Naegling in Beowulf). Other weapons have names derived from Old English, the various Elven languages (Quenya, Sindarin) etc...

He was essentially writing an epic in the style of Beowulf. Except in an even more made up expanded upon world.

Edited by maculae, Dec 5, 2012 @ 1:10 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

WTF is Andro-gel? It's not prescription based right? Aren't there laws against selling this type of crap? But it was a weak segment.

But that Kate segment was TERRIBLE

Oviously comedy is a subjective thing but I enjoyed both segments especially the one on Androgel although I admit the phone call to Kate Middleton was poorly thought out.

What's really scary is something like Androgel with all it's side effects exists just imagine what sort of things would be on the market if we got rid of all that pesky regulation like the GOP wants us to.

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2012 @ 4:34 PM

I was uncomfortable with the Kate Middleton phone call, too. I'm sure Stephen's angle was more of a critique of media coverage rather than making fun of Kate, but I still found it insensitive and tasteless esp since it's a serious condition. However, the entire bit wasn't bad. We did get Princess Diana St. Fuquecamilla out of it. I also broke out in huge guffaws when he brought up his etiquette lessons and showed the clip of him making that face as he drank tea. I hurt myself laughing at that show.

I also had problems with that segment. Puking is used for cheap comedy waaaaay too often, and this was worse than usual since the actual person they were depicting is still actually sick.

But I did love the flashback to the etiquette lesson too. I don't think a TV show has ever made me laugh so hard as that one; I would have preferred if they'd just replayed that whole segment in honor of Kate and her heir-in-the-oven.