The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23950 replies to this topic

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:27 PM

Here I go, being devil's advocate again: I like and admire Michelle Obama as much as the next person. But I get a tad uncomfortable when the First Family starts talking about supporting our enlisted men, because my first thought is usually, if you executive leader-types would stop supporting and making wars, these guys wouldn't be in harm's way so much.

She's not a member of the executive branch or any other branch of government, as first lady she gets a lot of respect but she has no real say so in whether or not we go to war of if soldiers are deployed somewhere.

shamskygirl

shamskygirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

She's not a member of the executive branch or any other branch of government . . . she has no real say so in whether or not we go to war of if soldiers are deployed somewhere.

I didn't say she did, did I? I simply said she's the wife of the man who does, and as such, her championing of the cause makes me uncomfortable. Because when she does that, what I really want to do is tell her: "Here's a message for the president: The best way to support our troops is to stop sending them to war." And she isn't making these decisions, but like it or not, as someone who's out in the world representing the values of his administration, in this I think she's fair game. It may be unfair, but those are my feelings and I'm sticking to them. :-)

Edited by shamskygirl, Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:08 PM.

alexvillage

alexvillage

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I think FLOTUS is just trying to be supportive of a group of people that got the worst of these wars and still have to put up with a lot of crap.

It is true that the service is volunteer and that they must be ready to serve the country. But they were the only ones who sacrificed for these wars. Of course, now we are complaining because we are all concerned with the costs, the deficit. But not many of us were thinking about the lives of the soldiers, PTSD, and the sacrifice of families when the war started. How many of us actually protested the war? (I did, as some still do in Northampton, MA). But the media did not pick up on any of that, because well, it is the media and we know how bad they are at actually reporting important things.
I do get a little tired of all the "thank you for your service" but FLOTUS has a role to play and I think the families receiving her support are very appreciative of her efforts. I think this counts for something.

As for executive decisions, I think we should all come down to earth and accept that nothing will ever be the same again. All the things we (liberal leaning) don't like about the government will never go away. No president will ever not continue what Bush started, as bad as it might seem, because there is too much at stake, real or just as an excuse or due to fear. Does anyone really thinks that the US will not join forces with Israel and attack Iran if Israel decides to do so? It is all a sick political game but that's how it is.

While I agree that the right/best thing to do as support would be stop sending people to war, that's a dream. More and more we had ego measure our presidents and other elected officials by the lower bar and hoping that some sense of fairness survives the bigger picture

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:15 AM

Yeah, Allen West heard there were up to 80 communists in the Democratic Party. From the voices inside his blockhead. I'm thinking Tail Gunner Al isn't that much fun to be around.

And I think James Cameron is a douche. Yet he won me over by telling Stephen "I'm Canadian, motherfucker".

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:03 AM

It seems like Allen West is confusing the Congressional Progressive Caucus, which has 76 members, with Communism.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

People like Hilary Rosen irk me, as if being a stay-at-home mom is the worst decision ever. So glad she got called out on this. And on a more shallow note, Stephen's dance moves are a thing of beauty. :)

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:36 AM

Mrs. Romney raised the boys all by her lonesome? No nannies, au pairs, housekeepers, and/or maids? None of the boys went away to school?

Yet he won me over by telling Stephen "I'm Canadian, motherfucker".

I thought of you when he said that!

Edited by Alexandria Bay, Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:36 AM.

pairafids

pairafids

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:53 AM

People like Hilary Rosen irk me, as if being a stay-at-home mom is the worst decision ever. So glad she got called out on this. And on a more shallow note, Stephen's dance moves are a thing of beauty. :)

I have no particular love (or hate) for Hilary Rosen, but just hearing the clip of the comment without the surrounding discussion, I took it as: what does she (Mrs Romney) know of financial stress when her family clearly has enough money without need of her having paid employment? But perhaps a different message came across throughout the conversation.

Love Stephen's dancing (and singing, and "athletics"...).

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:54 AM

People like Hilary Rosen irk me, as if being a stay-at-home mom is the worst decision ever. So glad she got called out on this.

Well, to be fair, there is a difference between being a SAHM and a working woman (who may also be a mom and thus have twice as much "work"). Women who work outside the home do have different challenges to deal with than a SAHM. Evidence indicates that most women who work outside the home still get paid less than their male counterparts. They are under constant scrutiny by employers who fear the woman will up and quit once they get married or have kids.

And if they are a mother, they nearly always have to do double duty (work outside the home, then work in the home), plus have to deal with the pressures of work, from employers that hate allowing them to leave early/take off work for their kids sick/doctor/school activities and often times paying them less because of it. Many many women work outside the home do so because they have to, because they can't afford to be a SAHM.

Yes, the Obama rep should have stated it better, but she does have a point. A SAHM, especially one like Ann Romney, who reaps the benefits of her husband's millions, probably has no clue what a woman who works outside the home has to deal with.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

the Obama rep should have stated it better

Just to be clear, Rosen is unaffiliated with the Obama camp. She's a talking head. And yeah, her point was one about the Romney's financial privilege as insulation against the slings and arrows of the economy, not about how much work raising kids is.

Cameron's voyage to the Marianas trench sounded fascinating. It's too bad he's such a douchecanoe.

Hanahope

Hanahope

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Just to be clear, Rosen is unaffiliated with the Obama camp. She's a talking head. And yeah, her point was one about the Romney's financial privilege as insulation against the slings and arrows of the economy, not about how much work raising kids is

My mistake for actually thinking Faux news was being in any way truthful when they then attacked her and Obama by referring to the whole thing as "Obama attacks women". I should realize that when the the Faux news people lips move, that means they are lying.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

People like Hilary Rosen irk me, as if being a stay-at-home mom is the worst decision ever. So glad she got called out on this

Rosen has five adopted children of her own. I seriously doubt she was critizing stay at home moms, especially since her partner may or may not be one of them. She simply chose her words poorly and fell into the fairly common trap of making it sound as if she believes being a stay at home mother isn't work.

Just to be clear, Rosen is unaffiliated with the Obama camp. She's a talking head.

Thank you, I wish Jon and Stephen would've pointed out that she's an "expert" for CNN.

Until last night's show I had no idea I was half-mom on my mother's side.

Iguana

Iguana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

"I'm Canadian, motherfucker."

I'm contacting my MP to start lobbying to have this become our official national motto.

Hooper

Hooper

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

If this isn't the lead story on TCR on Monday, I'll shit in the woods.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

Stephen will definitely comment on it although I'm skeptical about the story being true. IMO a person would have to be both suicidal and stupid to try to shoo away four bears, even if two of them were cubs.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 2:19 PM

"I'm Canadian, motherfucker."

I'm contacting my MP to start lobbying to have this become our official national motto.

I'm with you, Iguana . SO much catchier than "A mare usque ad mare" (From sea to sea // D'un ocean à l'autre). I can't wait to use it somehow here in California!

I thought the interview with Cameron was really interesting - and fun.

Anna Yolei

Anna Yolei

Stalker

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

I have no particular love (or hate) for Hilary Rosen, but just hearing the clip of the comment without the surrounding discussion, I took it as: what does she (Mrs Romney) know of financial stress when her family clearly has enough money without need of her having paid employment? But perhaps a different message came across throughout the conversation.

Fair point that I didn't consider. I probably kneejerked because of far too many articles I've read of women looking down on other women for being stay at home moms, as if all of them wait hand and foot on their families and have no hobbies or other interests. It's just one of those elitist attitudes that bugs me, but I'll reserve judgment until I see the entire clip for myself.

Alenore

Alenore

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Mitt Romney's support of stay-at-home mom's doesn't seem to extend to all mothers: Mitt Romney: Mothers Should Be Required To Work Outside Home or Lose Benefits

Poor women who stay at home to raise their children should be given federal assistance for child care so that they can enter the job market and "have the dignity of work," Mitt Romney said in January, undercutting the sense of extreme umbrage he showed when Democratic strategist Hilary Rosen quipped last week that Ann Romney had not "worked a day in her life."

Poor women, he said, shouldn't be given a choice, but instead should be required to work outside the home to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits. "[E]ven if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work," Romney said of moms on TANF.

loudfan

loudfan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

Upcoming guests:
4/16 BONNIE RAITT - Album, “Slipstream”
4/17 JONAH LEHRER - Author, “Imagine: How Creativity Works”
4/18 TBA
4/19 TAVIS SMILEY & CORNEL WEST - Co-authors, “The Rich and The Rest of Us: A Poverty Manifesto”

Initially, John Cusack had been scheduled to be the Wed. night guest but I just got an update with "TBA" instead. No idea what happened there, but hopefully he'll be rescheduled.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:48 AM

So I'm thinking "who's the biggest douchebag Stephen showcased tonight?" Ron Kessler makes a good case for accusing Obama of something he had no control over, but any right wing nutbar can do that. But in the end, nobody can touch Newt Gingrich (perhaps because he's toxic) for not only saying firearms are a creation of God, but that he wants to make owning guns an international human right. There is no bottom this creep can hit.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 9:57 AM

I dunno, I kinda think that was a wee bit of genius on Newt's part. If we arm every-freaking-body, we'll have a ready-made excuse for invading them! So he's pandering to both the gun nuts and the neocon chickenhawks.

I am amusing myself imagining the reactions to Newt's "idea" by the gun-unhappy Brits, or by countries neighboring Germany....

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

I kinda think that was a wee bit of genius on Newt's part. If we arm every-freaking-body, we'll have a ready-made excuse for invading them! So he's pandering to both the gun nuts and the neocon chickenhawks

That would be crazy-brillant but IMO Newt's not that smart. I mean he bounced a check that he needed to get on a state's ballot. And what makes it even more incredible is that the state was Utah: the one state Romney is pretty much guaranteed to win.

And it's crazy that we only have five times more citizens than the UK but around 220 times more gun related deaths. What a right.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 17, 2012 @ 12:43 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

I have a question about the Newt story, because I thought I heard him refer the the Declaration of Independence when he ought to have been referring to the Constitution. Was I wrong about that?

Bonnie Raitt was a pleasure. She makes me happy, and it's not even about her singing because I was feeling it before she started. I just like her attitude.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

I don't remember which one he was talking about but it's fairly common for someone to mention the Declaration of Independence when they mean the Constitution and vice versa. Frankly, I don't think most people know the difference.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:54 PM.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

Newt definitely said "Declaration of Independence" before going into the amendments, obviously meaning the constitutional amendments. I giggled.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 3:07 PM

Those Raitts have some great genes. I hope Bonnie's career is at least as long as her father's.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

WTF is wrong with TCR's uploading lately? A couple of times it hasn't been available the next morning on Hulu, today the entire Colbert Nation page at CC wouldn't load and the Hulu feed was psychodelic and seizure-inducing. TDS never has these problems. </whine>

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

If, as Jonah Lehrer states, daydreaming leads to creativity, then all I can say is [grabby hands]NOBEL PRIZE, PLEASE!!![/grabby hands]

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

As disgusting as that food segment was I think people would be even more disgusted by what's allowed to be in our foods. I shudder to think about what would happen if the anti-government people won and the food industry goes unregulated. And it's incredible that Starbucks needs to include a chopped up bug to make their strawberry shake red.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

all I can say is [grabby hands]NOBEL PRIZE, PLEASE!!![/grabby hands]

Bwah! Well played, EmpJ!

I read Lehrer's blog regularly; it's quite interesting. But geesh -- he still looks like he's 15.