The Colbert Report: It's French, Bitch!

• Please log in to reply

23955 replies to this topic

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 6:43 AM

maiseybeehave

I LOVED how Stephen went after Murray. That man has been giving sociologists a bad name for a long, long time. Finessing the data to fit your argument. Not cool.

Oh I KNOW. Talk about someone trying to use intellect to defend prejudice. (Looking at you too Larry Summers). Speaking for myself, as a white person, the last people I'd want to throw my lot in with are Charles Murray or anyone who'd claim that white people need to stick together for some reason.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

In what will come as no surprise, the kids on the 'cover' of the Conservative Teen zine are unAmerican. That is to say, they are from a Danish stock photo site. Hee!

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Wait...Charles Murray really *is* as racist as he sounded? I thought he was just...I don't know, missing stephen's point? Misunderstood? Not that those are mutually exclusive.

I was doing other things and missed the introduction of last night's guest and then was looking something up in another window (I watch TCR on Hulu)...anyway, I didn't know it was actor Mark Ruffalo until the very end when I clicked back to the main window. I marveled at a guest cross talking with Stephen with such conviction.

And if that admission about multi-tasking while Stephen is on is not enough to get my citizenship in the Nation revoked, this surely will: I was in Budapest last week and did not make a special trip to see the Bridge That Should've Been Named the Stephen Colbert Bridge. It was too far outside the main part of the city. But I thought about it.

LADreamr

LADreamr

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

Well, it's probably not enough to get you on the ThreatDown, Alexandria Bay, but you might make the top 10 of the Who's Not Honoring Me Now? list. :)

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Stephen's description of Ruffalo as 'looking like every woman's ex-boyfriend' struck me as amusingly apt. He does have a generic ex-ness about him, doesn't he?.

monty9

monty9

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:53 PM

Alenxandria Bay

Wait...Charles Murray really *is* as racist as he sounded? I thought he was just...I don't know, missing stephen's point? Misunderstood? Not that those are mutually exclusive.

Just in case you didn't know Murray was co-author on a book called The Bell Curvethat a lot of people took exception to.

[my own opinion] I've never met the man and it's hard to determine the point where racism ends and blindness to one's privilege begins, but I AM sure he's a huge douchenozzle.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

I smell failure for this publication

I can't see how they can go wrong with informative and entertaining articles such as "How Ronald Regan was the first black president" and telling teens the wonders of abstinence. That's gold, Jerry, gold!

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 1:12 AM

I guess Stephen knows better than to tell off Sumner Redstone, just in case his numbers aren't winners again.

Huzzahs to Stephen for spreading his SuperPAC's influence across America's campuses. That'll certainly help get the young vote energized.

And ha-ha! Mitt Romney's "joke" was funny, 'cuz he's a clueless douchebag with no sense of humor.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

Is "Turtles Donít Like Peanut Butter" a meme?

DrSparkles

DrSparkles

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

OK, am catching up on this week's CR & TDS & also teleworking :) So I was as confused as Murray about where the convo was going; thanks TWOPers for the clarification!!!
"Stephen was really going after Murray, and I was not sure if Murray could tell."

I only wish Andy Cohen went after his peeps this way!!! I am now curious about "The Bell Curve" but am afraid my BP will shoot up!

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Is "Turtles Donít Like Peanut Butter" a meme?

If it wasn't it will be now!

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 5:59 PM

In what will come as no surprise, the kids on the 'cover' of the Conservative Teen zine are unAmerican. That is to say, they are from a Danish stock photo site. Hee!

That is both funny and creepy! I'm constantly shocked and appalled at the racism that has vomited up from conservatives since Obama's election to the presidency. To use Aryan-looking teens from Northern Europe as your ideal models of conservative teens just adds one more level to my disgust.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Mar 30, 2012 @ 6:01 PM

Wait...Charles Murray really *is* as racist as he sounded?

Yes, and then some. As in, more than you realized. I thought he actually came off LESS offensive than he usually does, which is not to say I wasn't repulsed.

I am now curious about "The Bell Curve" but am afraid my BP will shoot up

I wouldn't risk it without consulting your doctor first. If you decide to try it: Good luck and Godspeed.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 1:25 AM

Between Stephen and Jon, who's more likely to dive into Keith Olbermann getting fired from Current TV today? My money's on Stephen because he's had him on as a guest on TCR, and because his right wing pundit character would love to have fun cutting him up into little pieces.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:02 AM

I don't think either will mention it unless there's more to his firing than what I read in that link. Basically they were unhappy with him because he didn't do tosses and help promote their other shows and he was unhappy with them because of production values, technical glitches, etc. Like I said when Rick Sanchez was fired from CNN and a poster brought up the possiblity of TDS using the F.U. choir Jon isn't the type to kick a person when they're down, even when it's someone he disagrees with, and I think the same applies to Stephen.

Edited by bulldawgtownie, Mar 31, 2012 @ 3:21 AM.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

Looks like the conservative teen magazine Stephen talked about last week has gone belly up. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Sooo-PRIZE Sooo-PRIZE!!!"

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 2, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I'm not surpised they didn't get enough subscribers to keep it operational, I am surprised that they got any subscribers. But I imagine it was the parents trying to get their teens to read that nonsense.

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

I was hoping Stephen would have given us Mary Magdalene as "The Girl".

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 8:14 AM

I loved the bit about pink slime. Calling it LFTB is apt because "our beef now has so many hormones that itís now a member of the transgender community."

Showing the photo of Raul and Fidel Castro and calling them the Cold War Ben & Jerry was perfect.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

"Beef it's dude"

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:09 AM

One of the better opening cheers from the audience I've heard in a while.

Awww, poor Ham Rove. I'm sure he'll be fine. Wished that was Karl Rove going to the slammer.

And that wrongful information Rick Santorum pulled out? It's all covered in santorum.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 1:18 PM

Another Peabody! This is for the Super PAC segments. Congratulations, Stephen and your fantastic writers!!!

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I hope Trevor Potter gets his own Peabody statue; he totally deserves it. I really enjoyed his recording those replies for the Potter May I button.

Ankai

Ankai

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 4:17 PM

That was one of the best Trevor Potter segments. And Stephen gave him some funny lines. This might not be his most high-status projects, but he looks like he is having the time of his life.

At first I thought that Stephen was going to say that Nikky Haley could pass for Hispanic.

violetion

violetion

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

I enjoyed Stephen's bemused reaction to Trevor abruptly walking off right at the end of the segment and not waiting until commercial break. As Stephen said, "he's a busy guy."

Edited by violetion, Apr 4, 2012 @ 7:11 PM.

Roseha

Roseha

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Great news about Stephen's Peabody for the Super PAC! Will the program be televised?

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

It looks like the awards are presented at a "luncheon" in May. The seats are more expensive than I could have ever imagined. I don't see any indication that they'll be broadcast, but I kind of hope they will be:
http://www.peabody.u...du/luncheon.php

EmperorJon

EmperorJon

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

Congrats to Stephen on winning his Peabody for his Super PAC, and for bragging about it as he would. I liked that he compared the Supreme Court justices (well, the five pissdrips that thought Citizens United was a good thing) to Hosni Mubarek. Just as brutal.

Stephen could have gotten Estaban in to help Mitt Romney out. Of course, Mitt or no Mitt, all the dirty shenanigans the Republicans have pulled on Latinos in the past few years are coming home to roost for them. Serves them right.

I could barely tell the two Quaker Oats men apart. His name is Larry? Is that because he bears a resemblance to Larry Fine?

And really? $66,000 to take a tour of the Titanic? Proves that there are people with more money than brain cells.

M. Darcy

M. Darcy

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:42 AM

I thought that Stephen would give Gov Haley a difficult time because of her stupid comments that women really don't care about birth control.

I never knew that Bob Ballard found the Titanic because he was on a top secret mission. I met him once - he was really nice.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

Stephen could have gotten Estaban in to help Mitt Romney out.

Estaban! Oh, I miss him and his much macho moustache!